/daily/

MONTIETIME EDITION

ITS THE 30th OF MAY EVERYONE

Listen to your library, show off your backlog, babble about new music, tell us what you've been listening to today and what you will listen to in the following month, post memes, talk about music, argue about opinions, be at peace with /rym/, and just let the good times flow.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>Removed topsters from OP. Use this now.

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>This is actually really fun but a lot of people have to participate.

synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel
>plug but snug

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>site with templates, OP covers, archive, & random stuff

discord.gg/s5Rv7zJ
>Shitpost machine

Ask about the Skype group. Go ahead. I fucking dare you.

Most importantly, PROFESS YOUR LOVE FOR POSEURCORE

PREVIOUSLY ON RYM

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/andrej_seban/bezvetrie/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/rufus_wainwright/rufus_wainwright/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jens_lekman/night_falls_over_kortedala/
mega.nz/#!x8ZEjThR!epy258h71f4LLNQ7UBXIKJ9Pomyug-O_Nfr4y01WQyU
rateyourmusic.com/collection/I_AM_FISH/r0.5-5.0,ss.d
youtu.be/46TwKWh6zT0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for shamepai did nothing wrong

What are you listening to /daily/?

What did you listen to / watch today?

listeningmind

It's alright

不失者

usually that means shamepai did something wrong
what did he do

whats some good chamber pop /daily/

laughing stock and mj

eureka, shinji aoyama, supposedly inspired by O'Rourkes Eureka. dope shit

nice

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/andrej_seban/bezvetrie/

actually my first time hearing this stuff. thought I was going to hate it but I've quickly fallen in love.

I listened to Islah earlier today and it was not bad. A pretty solid release actually. It may be my fav hip hop this year actually

Finishing Silent Hill OSTs. Ratings soonish

ya know usually I'd make an ass of myself and rec you Fishmans but I'm not gonna do that today:
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/rufus_wainwright/rufus_wainwright/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jens_lekman/night_falls_over_kortedala/

appreciate it dog

Shinji Sato and the Fishmans [sic] - Long Season

>Finishing Silent Hill OSTs. Ratings soonish
these are great. 2,3,4 are my faves.
that's awesome to hear, glad you like it
np. heard it last week, pleasant album

would fishmans be considered chamber pop? always consider them more dream pop and I thought that was the consensus

thanks

already listened, bad meme, 4/5 album

They're all great, honestly. I've only heard 1-4 but I've enjoyed them all. 1 has a certain dark ambient/industrial feel to it and I really admire it, though 2 is my fav.

>would fishmans be considered chamber pop
no, I just rec everyone Fishmans because I'm/they're a meme and I love them. What have you heard by them other than Long Season

Hey I know those boys

>不失者
Is their live video of it the source of the "nasty manga grandpa" meme?

the name escapes me, but it was their big pop album, p great

I think that was the Haino x Hayward show.

Kuchu Camp? The one of their jpeg floating in the air? That one gets less love than it should, but if you enjoyed that Uchu Nippon Setagaya is essential, and 98.12.28 is perfect /daily/core.

Those two have somewhat of a chamber-y, but more Progressive Pop element to them with their diversity in instrumentation. If you enjoy chamber pop I'm sure you'd get a kick out of them.

can u upload to mega or something similar cant find it on slsk

Angel Olsen - MY WOMAN (2016)
>indie rock

Simultaneously a summation of all of Olsen's previous work thus far and a step in an interesting new direction. The most interesting departure from her previous albums is her voice. While it still has the power and passion she's known for on some tracks, other tracks adopt a more soft-spoken, devastating style of vocal, and it's done incredibly well. She really knows just what vocal style goes with a certain style of music, the slowburners get the more drawn-out, lowkey vocals and the upbeat, poppy tracks get the loud, bombastic vocals. The diversity of the instrumentals is a nice draw too, I figured that this would be a jump to synthpop after "Intern", the first single, came out, but that's the only track of that style on this album, and it's the first track. I'd imagine that an opening track that's radically different from the following tracks would stick out like a sore thumb, but it sets the mood of the album nicely. Honestly, I wish there were more songs like "Intern" on here, because the other short songs that are more indie rock in sound, save for "Shut Up Kiss Me", are forgettable, especially in comparison to songs like "Sister" and "Woman". An album of long, slow tracks like that would be just fucking incredible. But still, even if some tracks aren't that memorable, this is a wonderful step in the correct direction.

3.0+

well shit man I'll check it out, listened to like half of 98.12.28 wayyy back n I thought it was 3/5

always heard you have to listen to their whole discog to get a real feel for it so ill give it a try sometime in the future

upping

The first half isn't that good honestly. Walking in the Rhythm is the point where it starts being godly.

>Hoedh - HYMNVS
Some really slow moving ambient with a slightly spooky vibe to tie it all together. Basically for each song a short line is repeated constantly for the entire duration of the song with extremely subtle changes that sporadically appear. It's very simple, but it really puts you into a kind of trance and time just flies by when listening too it. I loved the really deep bass note that played on the third song Von Zauber der Weihe. Listening to this in a quiet place is a must to really hear all the cool stuff going on. blue triangle/10

Andrej Šeban - Bezvetrie
>Slovakian chamber pop
mega.nz/#!x8ZEjThR!epy258h71f4LLNQ7UBXIKJ9Pomyug-O_Nfr4y01WQyU

dope. I always say 98.12.28 is better in context when having heard a good portion of their material, but not entirely necessary nor a guarantee that you'll like it at all. However, seeing how they expanded on their works throughout their discog is quite the sight.

Posting this yet again.

naaaaaaaah

End of Walking in the Rhythm is one of my favorite moments but a lot of other fantastic stuff happens in the first half
>All the crazy shit that happens in the background of Thank You
>The stage intros and violin drop on Oh! Slime
>The moment right before the vocals come in on nightcruising
>The all over the place strumming on ひこうき
>The organ on なんてったの
>The fact that the ending of Walking in the Rhythm is 2x as satisfying after it expands on what was already dope from In the Flight
To each their own but I've probably listened to the first half more than the second honestly.

And yes I did copy/paste half those names too ;P

Which albums/EPs are essential listening for the so called God Tier live album? It's what's honestly really got me intrigued about this band.

>>nobody is obligated to like anything.
>Nor the other way around.

what the hell were you trying to say here, TBHfam?

That disliking something because it has a certain quality is kinda dumb. It's like hating someone just because of their skin color even if outside of that they have a lot in common with you. There's a difference between that and just saying that it's not one's thing which is far more understandable. It's like if White Light White Heat was done with Sgt Peppers production because the latters production style is the more popular and comfortable one. It would be stupid to ask for WLWH with a more compressed production like that because then it would cease to offer the majority of what it does if that were to happen.

I'M FISH has definitely listened to fishmans more than me but personally i feel like 98.12.28 is a good second point in their discography after Long Season of course because that's the definite starting place for anyone.

RYM is down now.
what do?

listen to music

sonemic happening?

98.12.28 has at least one track from every studio album, making it seem almost like a homage to their whole discog.

At the VERY minimum, I would say at least listen to the studio version of every track on the 98.12.28 before listening + the Oh! Crime/Slime intros to their two live albums. Gives better context as to how they expanded on their music.

Other than that, I would say their last three albums, Uchu Nippon Setagaya, Long Season, and Kuchu camp are 100% essential. Try Orange or Neo Yankee's Holiday, and if you don't really enjoy those, then just listen to the selected tracks from those that are on 98.12.28. Otherwise, I would say listen through every studio album, the In the Air single, and at least one prior live album before jumping into 98.12.28.

Or, honestly, you could just ignore all this and jump straight into 98.12.28. After all, most people have only heard Long Season and 98.12.8 anyways and, minus a few exceptions, most have enjoyed 98.12.28 profusely despite not being exposed to their studio work. My point is that you'll enjoy 98.12.28 MUCH more if you have the context on how they expanded on their studio discog.

God I really need to review this album sometime.

98.12.28 COULD be a good place to give you a sample of all the different eras of their discog, since it does have at least one song from every album + a couple others, but I feel the former method would make for a more satisfying experience. But I'm just a fanboy so you do you I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mines fine but do regardless

Just Folk My Shit Up: Fahey Edition - Day 6

Volume 6: Days Have Gone By

Another impressive release from Fahey in terms of what I think. There are three particular things I really enjoyed about this release.

1. Rhythm: Fahey continues to become even more technically skilled on the guitar, and he's able to channel it creatively. The album's full of chords that are played in a sweeping fashion rather than a full chord. There are a ton of moments that are built on poly-rhythmic sections in terms of how one would look at it from a classical guitar sense. So for example there's the part that's usually played as a rhythm part and the other that's a lead (whether it's the part that's lower or higher changes throughout.) In this case, the lead parts have gotten increasingly more complex allowing for even more varied and interesting music. Despite this it's not like he gets indulgent or anything either in fact there are just a lot of straight up chords he plays on this more than his previous works I'll say more on that later.

To be continued in next post

2. Eastern/Drone elements: After really messing with some chords that were alien and dissonant at the time in the previous album, Fahey continues on with the ideas. A different progression on notes will be done (and it'll be damn obvious if you listen to this album) and it'll often come with a change in rhythm and feel to bring a change to whatever type of story a track's trying to go for. In terms of drone, there are three really cool ways Fahey approaches it on this album. He does a The Velvet Underground on “Heroin” style proto-post rock minimalism style builds on a lot of the tracks (ex. The first two tracks will have the rhythm section being played by just a couple notes then it will evolve into bigger chords.) On the A Raga Called Pat series he does like a more traditional Indian style drone that will appear later (a particular part is actually on Fare Forward Voyagers's title track.) But the least obvious and least suspicious way he does it is by...just playing chords? How does that work? Because of-

3. The production: Fahey's learned this time to get more out of each and every single sound that comes out of his acoustic guitar. I love how the production really picks up on his different picking styles, and really important for this album (and why he plays so many just straight up chords) is that now, the notes really ring out. So when he plays a chord, it's easy to hear each individual tone just passing through the musical space. This isn't like some Bob Dylan or Neil Young stuff, rather it's more like something a minimalist/modern classical composer would do. Another thing that's great on this end is particularly on the Raga Called Pat tracks where he has ambient train, rain, and wind sounds which in the middle turn into some kind of electronic whistle thing, too and how he implements those sounds.

To be continued in next/final post

The album's got a lot of just straight up cool moments. Impressions Of Susan has that one change in it 2 minutes in where Fahey changes up his picking style and the feel of the track itself changes, and then the big change near the end where the production itself caters to the ringing out of the notes/chords for maximum drone. Night Train Of Valhalla starting off slow and comfy kinda giving that spiritual feel before the metaphorical train starts and Fahey picks up on the speed and happenings of the track then slowing down again as the metaphorical train reaches its destination. Both parts of A Raga Called Pat being interesting because it starts off with the train and rain sounds, then all that later in the track turns into this whistling electronic wail, then even later the actual rain and wind sounds BECOME THE DRONE of the track, way too fucking cool. My Shepherd Will Supply My Needs having this classical style approach to structure where a variety of different phrases are connected by a main one that's some chords that sound nice and catchy (also ringing out to get some drones.) My Grandfather's Clock having Fahey and the guest guitarist who's exclusively on this track have their guitars come in with some sort of studio trickery with some sort of fade in type thing.

3.5/5 (maybe a 4 in the future)

Fahey's continually feeling less like another folk guy and more like a true complete package style guitarist like Hendrix but in his own way.

ain't he a genius

>That disliking something because it has a certain quality is kinda dumb.
how is that the "other way around" from not having to like something? that's not a good phrase to use in this case. the other way around from "nobody is obligated to like anything" is "nothing is obligated to like anyone" (i.e. nonsense).

Semantics aside, i'm not saying anything to the effect of what your post asserts. I wouldn't argue that.

I kinda explained this like an ass so

98.12.28 pre-recs:

Bare minimum
>Studio version of every track (at least one from each album)
>ゆらめき in the Air single
>Intro track to at least one of their live albums

Recommended
>Every one of their studio albums following flowchart
>At least one of their earlier live albums (probably 8月の現状)
>ゆらめき in the Air single

Trve Fishmvn
>All of previous Reccomended
>Both live albums
>Corduroy's Mood EP
>Season Single
>Walking in the Rhythm [Remixes]

There.

I realized i like belgian cold wave. Any recs in that genre
>Tfw i still haven't listened to 98
Hmm. Maybe i should listen to it

Would rec! Did you like Long Season?

Nobody's obligated to dislike anything is the opposite.

And if you weren't, why the fuck did you even start with the response you did?

Seriously he really is. I can't believe people don't worship guys like him and Branca more when it comes to guitar work.

Alright I think I'll hit the recommended. Actually nvm I'll go trve since it's not much more than their studio albums and it seems on various spots online all their studio albums are decently rated even if not many ratings. Might be something I'll have to do after I finish Fahey though.

It's a 9/10 in my books
And there was a time where i could only listen to it

this is nice thanks doggy

dope! I'm looking forward to that and your Fahey ratings.

A lot of people (including me) say the 98.12.28 version of Long Season >> than the studio version. Would rec hearing at least a bit of their other stuff first, but you just do you you absolute madman.

lots of Pendulum today.

I fucking loved Hold Your Colour. Don't know about In Silico. Also Blood Sugar is weeb essential.
This sunday i'm going on a flight, going to listen to Long Season. I wonder how's the experience going to be. Going to try to sync the lift with that bit ln Part I where the synth appears

Hold Your Colour as an album didn't suit my taste as much as In Silico. I like the actual song though. Immersion had some great stuff, favorite song of theirs is off that one.

any time :)

Real question
Who is crazier?
Fish for the Fishmans
Dog for Haino?

i'm too tired to keep up with this anymore (although this kind of useless, banal interaction is the backbone of daily).

good night, /daily/

Remember, I am not the one who started it. I just wanted to rec Ordo Ad Chao :(

Goodnight though!

I haven't even listened to full Haino discog, I ain't that crazy.

Just listened to pic related for the first time because I've seen it posted a few times and it absolutely blew my mind. Now listening to Exuma 1 for the first time too and loving that.

Can anyone rec me albums similar these that I should listen to next?

nyar for sondre

>I just wanted to rec Ordo Ad Chao
and i'm glad you did
its easy to get caught up with silly stuff here

Pentangle - Basket Of Light
Third Ear Band - s/t (also known sometimes as Elements)

Sorta not really similar.

how long have u been listening to fishmans, fish man?

like comus
flags of the sacred harp

Księżyc - Księżyc
Can Am Des Puig - The Book of AM (Pts 1. and 2)

To be fair, nasty manga grandpa's full discog is near impossible to listen to because some of it was super limited release in Japan in the 70s, right?

>To be fair, nasty manga grandpa's full discog is near impossible to listen to because some of it was super limited release in Japan in the 70s, right?
Well if Secret Black Box is available on the web, I bet I could get everything else with a little help of discogs and some Japanese websites.

what's that picture from?
dog for jandek

I actually listened to Fishmans on a plane last time I flew to NY. Great times.

I'm glad most people in /daily/ seem to get over things real fast and most people here are never petty about shit for long. Makes coming back not a chore.

Just over two and a half years probably, close-ish to 3. I think I was slightly early on the bell curve to the Long Season craze post-discovery rym/mu discovery, but by no means a "discoverer" of them, as they'd been talked about frequently by the time I'd found out about them. They were actually one of the first things I'd rated on RYM when I made my acct: rateyourmusic.com/collection/I_AM_FISH/r0.5-5.0,ss.d

some m8 posted it in the last thread
youtu.be/46TwKWh6zT0

>account is only a year and a half old
>over 3000 ratings
the fuck

Listening to Pentangle right now, really good. Thanks for the recc user.

Added these to the front of my backlog, thanks.

Is the meme man married?

tfw will never come home to dirty manga grandpa

out of curiosity, does anyone know if Haino speaks English (I know he can as of the last few years bc he speaks english on that new Haino/Ambarchi/O'Rourke, but did he not know it until recently or has he always been able to?

>you will never be this microphone

So I was using one of you guys' RYMs to browse you other guys' RYMs. As "suspect" as Fish's RYM looks, isn't Kubera's even more suspect?

I never thought of it considering how he's always dressed, but man this guy must OBSESS over The Velvet Underground possibly even more than Fish does Fishmans and Doggo does Haino himself.

He's been using it for three years.

This is dope. Watching now.

A time ago I was doing 10+ albums a day, so I got a lot of shit done. Plus first couple weeks was rating from memeory of shit I'd listened to a million times like Radiohead, Beatles, E Smith, etc.

>suspect
you mean suspicious? And he's been using it for longer, so it'd make sense he has more ratings. I just listen to a lot of new shit obsessively.

So? Like the time thing can't be used as a good indicator due to listings of past albums.

Rate my 5x5
Just letting you know you are the user that i had The biggest amount of exact ratings.

Walter Franco - Ou Nao
Erica Pomerance - You Used to Think
Marconi Notaro - No sub reino dos metazoários
Lula Côrtes e Zé Ramalho - Paêbirú
Musica Dispersa - s/t

That's p rad my dude, good taste!

points for oppenheimer and best stereolab

>山岡晃 - Silent Hill 3
2nd best entry in the OSTs. Shares most similarities with 2’s Trip Hop/Dark Ambient/Alt Rock feel, just with much less industrial music than the first two, but still a few tracks like it in there. Features a lot of singing from a female vocalist who appears in later SH OSTs like Zero and Shattered Memories. Not as great as 2’s OST, but probably the most variable of any of them.

>Igorrr - Hallelujah
Blew my balls off. Breakcore mix of classical and avant-garde metal, with a shit ton of sound collage elements. One of the most original albums I have ever heard and you should all hear this regardless if it sounds like something that would appeal to you.

>山岡晃 - Silent Hill 4: The Room
Some of my favorite SH tunes on here, and that’s saying a lot, but a lot of that final disc was very underwhelming. Japanese spoken word explaining the story of the game in greater detail with a great ambience to it, but after an hour it starts to grade on you. If you’re going all the way through SH’s OSTs, start at the original and go halfway through 4.

>Tears for Fears – Songs From the Big Chair
Very good pop album. “Head Over Heels”, “Everybody Wants to Rule the World”, and “Shout” were all great tunes, but beyond that semi-progressive feeling I wasn’t huge on this. About half of the songs were great and the other very forgettable.

>Igorr – Nostril
Again, a really great variable breakcore album, but less boundry-pushing and definined than Hallelujah. Still a great listen regardless.

>光田康典 – Xenogears
Something I liked about this is the slightly longer (comparatively) songs here. This had a mix of classical-sounding (I guess it’s supposed to be Celtic Folk, but I’m not experienced enough in that genre) and standard MIDI music. I don’t know what it was about first-generation disc consoles like PSOne, but their OSTs seem much more dry perhaps to the systems not presenting much more barricades in sound cards, but this demonstrates some nice sounds.

>近藤浩治 – Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
I came back to this game recently, and while I adore a lot of things about it just didn’t hold up in comparison to, say, Majora’s Mask imo. This soundtrack must’ve been compiled by someone with ADD imo. You know how most soundtracks (see: Xenogears) will have about a minute or so loop that repeats? Most videogame soundtracks have this loop two, or even three times if it is too short to go over a minute or so. However, the compiling of this OST is infuriating. 80% of the tracks were ~40 seconds long. Not only that, but practically every sound effect is put in here as a few second track. Completely unnecessary and unsatisfying, this soundtrack clocks in at just around 2 hours and 133 tracks. Shame, really, because I actually enjoy a lot of these tracks, but the editing is abysmal.

what next?

>rates tears for fears over new order

yep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

call me back when you get decent taste in New Wave

and music in general

will do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey triangle I just got decent taste in New Wave!

New Order is still a 4

btw

Power, Corruption & Lies shirts > Unknown Pleasures shirts

Saw one today at the mall I was super close to getting but I remembered I banned myself from getting any more band shirts since I need actual clothing and have like a hundred anyways

Good morning, /daily/equals. I hope you are having a good time doing whatever you are doing and that you are well-fed, of body and mind. I have a bit of toothache but it is nothing too bad.

Going to listen to more tuntablism and Tuvan music today. Might be helping my little brother move into his new apartment today as well.

What are you up to?

There is nothing wrong with that. Both are still fantastic bands, though. I am much more familiar with Tears for Fears than with New Order, though.

>Friend asks me about what is New Wave
>Tell him i don't know much besides it being a movement that took elements of pop, disco and punk combined, which started at the end of the 70s or something
>He asks me "yeah but what's so new about it"
>Uhh exactly that man, it was a new movement and it's a really defining genre of the 80s
>But i still don't get what's new about it
>Fucking put yourself in the time and you will man what is wrong with you
>He still doesn't get it
Jesus christ man

shouts out to the guy who spent a dollar

Am I banned?

weird

Yes.

Anything cool to see? I'm only kinda interested in Jello Biafra and Flag.

Hey Dogwander if you still want to get a beer together or something while I'm in Riga I'll be there for about a week starting on 15.7. I know I haven't been active recently but anyway. Just write me a pm on rym (~heimo) if you want to get in contact.