ITT: Hit and Miss artists

What are musicians you find very hit and miss?

I'll start with The Residents. When they're good, they're really good; when they're bad, they're awful

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0wR8Ml55LJX
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I love The Residents but I agree.
Theyre always so creative tho.

For me itd be flaming lips. Pic related is my fave album of theirs. Not a fan of their 90s stuff.

mark schulz at festivals

This but the opposite opinion. Yoshimi is some garbage.

bob dylan

I've heard a lot of people say that about him, but they always have different views on what are his bad albums. What's your personal opinion?

100% agreed

i haven't listened to much of his stuff i'm just regurgitating what i've heard on Sup Forums haha

kill me

You should listen to his full discography, album by album. You should also do a tiny bit of background research on every album (nothing big, just skim a wikipedia article on it before listening)

He has an interesting discography

Not Available is definitely one of their amazing albums. However, I didn't enjoy The Warner Bros album and Meet The Residents.

yes i plan to, i'm not that new to Sup Forums but i haven't been seriously listening to new music until somewhat recently

thanks for the advice

Wormwood is one of their worsts. I really like their more ambient albums (Eskimo, Coochie Brake, Mush-Room). The Big Bubble is pretty bad. The Commercial Album, God In Three Persons, Demons Dance Alone, and Third Reich 'n' Roll are must-listens.

To go of what that other user said really focus on the 60s albums, and make sure to read the lyrics. Anything beyond that just check out if you become a fan.

I've listened to Third Reich 'n' Roll and I'm definitely going to listen to albums you recommended, though I'm listening chronologically. I had to stop listening to The Residents for a while, because of how powerful of an album Not Available is. It's not exactly an album you listen to while you're on a vacation or in a really good mood. Nevertheless, it's one of their best and I'm going to listen to it again and move on to other albums.

vocaroo.com/i/s0wR8Ml55LJX

Mastodon is a huge hit or miss for me

For example, I LOVE leviathan, Blood Mountain, and Remission but I hate the Hunter, Once More Round' the Sin, and I dislike Crack the Skye.

God in Three Persons is worth alone for the credits song but the whole album and the plot is very good.

But you forgot to add Duck Stab! to the essentials, it has their best song (Lizard Lady).

I can't believe I forgot Duck Stab! Huge mistake on my part. Duck Stab!/Buster & Glen and Not Available are definitely essentials

Good old Aphex Twin has genuinely some of the shittiest music I've ever heard while still being a champ

>it has their best song (Lizard Lady).
many years ago I put this on my alarm clock and forgot about it then about a year later it went off by accident and I got woken out of a dead sleep with this at full blast

very formative experience and really what got me into them

Shame because MTR is their best album

all of them 2bh

3000% agree, even their good albums have that problem.

The Rolling Stones. They put out some absolute shit, but they proved many times that they knew how to make incredible music. Gimme Shelter is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Xiu Xiu.
When they're good, they're fantastic, when they're not good, they're mediocre.

that'd be Never Known Questions

AnCo definitely has more hits than misses but sometimes they miss hard like picrel

Imo 10s > 00s > 90s