Why did Fantano hate on this? Not only is it a fantastic trap record...

Why did Fantano hate on this? Not only is it a fantastic trap record, but imho it's a modern classic of the entire hip-hop genre

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3IBe1v9Ah_I
youtube.com/watch?v=cEFDvpwdH7A
youtube.com/watch?v=_KIzJt0BW1U
youtube.com/watch?v=z9SyvhLGiUs&list=PLJ6z_vXJKxu0OQdMhFHRtmSD8me7r0j9R&index=6
youtube.com/watch?v=7AnEVEp0eUM
youtube.com/watch?v=LMtU1r6ndRI
youtube.com/watch?v=gsitWzZFF30
youtube.com/watch?v=ZkzpOQ9i5L8
youtube.com/watch?v=mWISiHcGoNg
youtube.com/watch?v=DbGc9OFMRp4
youtube.com/watch?v=KQhD6izHFgg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

who cares about fantano's opinion

Because different people have different opinions on music.

>fantano
>fantastic trap record
>modern classic of the entire hip-hop genre
stay on reddit

Yeah white people like him should not be allowed to review hip-hop they just don't get it

Well Fantango's opinion is retarded and he should not have expressed it

shit mate you already tried on the classical thread

did you get bullied or something, why do you even need to troll

I wasn't even in a classical thread you inbred

>inbred

who you calling german

I really don't know how you could honestly think that. 21 Savage is an embarrassment to the trap rap genre. No personality, shit flow, especially shitty lyrics to the point where I actually care and usually I don't for trap, and his hooks are all mumbled garbage that sounds like he doesn't even want to be in the studio. I didn't even like Metro's beats on most of the project. Almost all of them could have been shit out by any idiot on soundcloud fucking around with FL. There is zero turn-up potential, zero substance, zero catchiness. Just embarrassing, atrocious struggle bars and cheap beats lacking in dynamics.

Fantano doesn't seem to identify with street rap very much, and he interpret's the lyrical content as having no value.

It's pretty weird actually, you'd think that someone whose job it is to listen to music and understand it would have figured out by now that not all hip hop needs to be "lyrical miracle' tier to be compelling.

I mean he did at least specify that he doesn't expect much but even with a low bar this was too terrible for him. I respect and share that viewpoint. I definitely understand where you're coming from and I've liked albums with somehow worse lyrics than this a good bit, it's just all the factors he talked about combined with the fact that his bars are godawful even by that subgenre's standard

I disagree, obviously people like different things so you don't have to like the mixtape, but savage mode is exactly what it's supposed to be. Its a tape made by a street gang member whose parents are both drug addicts, who was kicked out of school before he was 15, who has had to live in an environment where his life is constantly under threat, and who is addicted to opiates himself.

savage mode is nihilistic street rap with slow repetitive beats, which are analogous to what 21 savage's state of mind is probably like. I guess it depends if you care about, relate to, or like that criteria, but it's not like the tape present itself as being anything else.

Trap is fucking garbage.

Yeah, I agree, I think it depends what you like ultimately.

I like the vibe of savage mode so the 'bad' lyrics are funny and endearing to me, but if someone else put out a similar project whose backstory and style I cared about less I might dislike that project.

trap is the best argument for 'le wrong generation' ive ever heard

Bump

>fantastic trap record

Beast Mode is a fantastic trap record. Monster is a fantastic trap record. Trap God, Slime Season 3, Days Before Rodeo, good trap records. even Modern English isn't half bad. this is fucking shit

>modern classic of the hip hop genre

lol no. MBDTF is a modern classic. Donuts is a modern classic. Madvillainy is a modern classic. Ka's Night's Gambit. Again, this is shit

>Its a tape made by a street gang member whose parents are both drug addicts, who was kicked out of school before he was 15, who has had to live in an environment where his life is constantly under threat, and who is addicted to opiates himself.

None of this is an excuse for being a bad musician. Gucci Mane grew up in a similar rough environment and is a good artist. Chief Keef grew up in a similar rough environment and can at least write a good hook.

Future kicks 21 Savage's ass up and down the street in terms of representing the spacey drugginess of opiate addiction. So do countless scores of unknown chopped and screwed DJs

He's just shit at his craft, it has nothing to do with his background or my ability to relate to these issues

if by modern classic you mean how most people try to dig deep and rap about real shit and then go back to fucking bitches and getting money deals for filler then yeah it totally fucking represents modern rap

I'm not sure man, I like his music/like his hooks. Maybe you just need to get used to him

youtube.com/watch?v=3IBe1v9Ah_I

youtube.com/watch?v=cEFDvpwdH7A

youtube.com/watch?v=_KIzJt0BW1U

sick special effects for the guns nigga
lookin like them african action movies

why are you upset that someone likes something that you don't?

YOUNG SAVAGE WHY YOU TRAPPIN SO HARD

the hook to that first song sounds like headphones are shorting out. Not even Zaytoven can save this garbage.

As a refresher, here's what an actual good trap rapper can do with a Zaytoven joint:

youtube.com/watch?v=z9SyvhLGiUs&list=PLJ6z_vXJKxu0OQdMhFHRtmSD8me7r0j9R&index=6

youtube.com/watch?v=7AnEVEp0eUM

In Future's case it's borderline sublime and Beast Mode is just shy of being a modern hip hop classic

The second song sounds like the producer doesn't even understand scales. that's not really savage's fault but he needs a good producer to carry his ass, not the other way around

the third song is just barely competent or passable. it's by no means good or great

if this is the best he has to offer it fucking sucks

im far from upset im laffin kek

Ehh, maybe it'll make sense if I say it this way. I like 21 savage in the same way I like 90s Memphis rap

youtube.com/watch?v=LMtU1r6ndRI

youtube.com/watch?v=gsitWzZFF30

youtube.com/watch?v=ZkzpOQ9i5L8

I like the use of lyrical repetition, the almost cartoonishly extreme violence, the creation of a dark atmosphere, and the sometimes naive approach that producers and rappers in the genre sometimes have because it allows for stylistic variation that wouldn't happen in the music of more corporate/established artists. - I'm not looking for highly polished elaborately produced music when I listen to him. He makes interesting ignorant music and seems like he has the potential to develop into a really great artist along the same lines as Three six mafia or future.

Check out these and if you're not into them then that's cool, but that doesn't mean that the problems you have with his music or the things that you dislike about him are necessarily true or will stop other people from liking him.

youtube.com/watch?v=mWISiHcGoNg

youtube.com/watch?v=DbGc9OFMRp4

youtube.com/watch?v=KQhD6izHFgg

lyrics suck, delivery sucks, production is ok. for the kind of hardcore "murder music" he makes he should be hitting the booth with energy comparable to waka flocka, og maco, desiigner (on make it out), etc. its supposed to be aggressive and hardcore, but he makes you want to go to sleep

>I like the use of lyrical repetition

can't you say that about most trap music

>the almost cartoonishly extreme violence

can't you say that about most rap music

>the sometimes naive approach that producers and rappers in the genre sometimes have because it allows for stylistic variation that wouldn't happen in the music of more corporate/established artists

That's fine, but the problem is it that we're talking about the same producer(s) with different rappers. These aren't "naive", "amateur" producers. Zaytoven worked with Usher, and Metro Boomin with Kanye. If you're going to count 21 Savage's work as amateurish, then Gucci Mane's definitely is, and he's a fuck of a lot better at it than Savage

I don't really see how you can be a featured artist along with the guy with the number one single in America, in a magazine that is a subsidiary of a publicly traded company worth millions of dollars, working alongside producers that produce artists worth hundreds of millions of dollars, and you're still "underground", but whatever

>I'm not looking for highly polished elaborately produced music when I listen to him. He makes interesting ignorant music

I don't care if everything is elaborately produced or polished, but it helps if your MC can sing an appealing hook, has an engaing flow or lyricism, or at the very least sound like he's not falling asleep with the mike in his mouth

Again, there are plenty of people who make good ignorant Atlanta trap better than him. Gucci, Mook, Kwony Cash, Quavo, OG Maco and I would even include more allegedly "corporate" guys like Future, Thug, and Chief Keef. I don't even dislike trap, I just take objection that this hack is being held up like he's some kind of genius or even good

> but that doesn't mean that the problems you have with his music or the things that you dislike about him are necessarily true

fair, but you also must acknowledge that you liking him doesn't mean it's necessarily true he's good either