Frank Ocean thread

95% chance his album drops tomorrow. Let's post our favorite songs/music of his. I personally like this track which is the only one to feature BOTH Big Boi and Andre 3000 of Outkast since they split up.

soundcloud.com/big-boi/pink-matter-remix-dirty-1

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bAoVr5OHR88
soundcloud.com/thisisallexperimental/frank-ocean-instrumental-1
soundcloud.com/thisisallexperimental/frank-ocean-instrumental-2
soundcloud.com/thisisallexperimental/frank-3
soundcloud.com/thisisallexperimental/frank-4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I honestly never cared for Frank Ocean -- this guy's music is extremely mediocre. He's not a very good singer and relies heavily on production.

are you gonna give the new album or listen or nah?

Yeah, Miguel outclasses him in every way imo.

The Alt. R&B craze is over.
The overwhelming indifference to recent shit by Badu, Miguel and Maxwell are proof.

If you actually listened to channel orange you would know that many songs such as pilot jones and pink matter have pretty sparse production and are carried mostly by his singing which is really good

I really like Sierra Leone. Underrated track imo. I'm gonna give the album a listen probs some time this weekend if it actually drops and he isn't trolling again.

>are carried mostly by his singing
You've never heard him sing live have you...

i think his grammy performance wasn't great but he does sing well live. I've seen him at Coachella and he was awesome.

youtube.com/watch?v=bAoVr5OHR88

I literally saw him perform a concert and his singing was pretty good. Not spectacular. Maybe his best performances are when he gets multiple chances in the studio but its not like his singing is touched up or autotuned

Miguel's last album was great

What about the weeknd?

kek'd

thanks.

:^)

this is what

nigga whats that

Literally the first and second cover don't even match up lmao but here's your (you), faggot

image being this shit at noticing talent.

you're having a laugh. timestamp that shit user

jesus why is everyone on this site obsessed with being the edgiest fucking autist ever. This dude went from almost complete obscurity to a grammy nod for album of the year in 1 year. I think it's fair to say he's far above "mediocre".

This is Sup Forums where autists dont discus music unfortunately

My favorite of his is the song that was scrapped for the Django soundtrack, Wise Man. I hope the album has some stuff like that in it.

soundcloud.com/thisisallexperimental/frank-ocean-instrumental-1
soundcloud.com/thisisallexperimental/frank-ocean-instrumental-2
soundcloud.com/thisisallexperimental/frank-3
soundcloud.com/thisisallexperimental/frank-4

Here are the snippets of the stuff that was heard in the stream.

Hey there mu. I'm not Frank Ocean, and I'm not a beatmaker/musician, but I am somebody who is close to him, and I have been working on this album pretty closely with him and his camp for the past year and a half (Yes, I came on pretty late in the game as far as the album progress has gone). I can't provide public proof without risking exposing myself; Very few people have the album right now, and the ones who do (for example, me) all have uniquely watermarked versions. But I can provide answers to some questions you guys have about the album, the experience, the delays, Frank himself, etc.

A couple of things I'll address before anyone asks
1.) The music heard on the stream tonight will appear on the album, with vocals on top of it
2.) I am the same person who has provide information about the album's release to The New York Times
3.) As of right now, yes, the album is still going to be released at midnight EST on Friday (8/5). I don't think it's possible for that to be changed by now

Describe the album art for me captain

It's a picture of Frank fucking an orange BMW

what's the point of the stream?
why did you leak the info to the NYT if Frank didn't want you to?
It's coming out tomorrow at noon.
Thisisboysdontcry.tumblr.com

It's a black and white photo of what looks like somebody driving next to the shore, with little bursts of bright colors splattered around
The stream is to build hype and let people know he's up to something. Also, no, the album comes out at midnight EST

Who are the features, is Donnie Trumpet included in production? I have an inside source as well.

Kanye has some vocals on it. James Blake has a feature and I think he produced the track he's featured on too. Andre 3000, Erykah Badu, and Thundercat are on one, and The Social Experiment are on a couple (I don't think Chance is though).

Is it better than Channel Orange?And can you share any interesting experiences during the creation of the album

Slap my ass a nut on my blurryface.

Will there be a single release before the album on Zane?

We live in a world where being a "grammy nod" means you're above mediocre.

Seriously? You do know the kind of shit the Grammys like, right? This is the worst possible way to make your point.

I thought Channel ORANGE was gabage in 2012 and four years have done nothing to improve it.

>HOURS LATER
Just stop

you tried it

If you're going into this album expecting to have your mind blown, you're going to be disappointed. If you go into this album expecting it to be one of the best albums of all time and a complete and total gamechanger, you are going to be disappointed. But if you go into the album with an open mind and accept everything for what it is, and if you rid yourself of any preconceived notions, you're going to find yourself really enjoying it, probably even moreso than you enjoyed channel ORANGE if you enjoyed that album a lot.

A lot of my really interesting stories from the creation are mostly one-on-one or small group situations, so telling them would give away who I am. But one of the funnier experiences I can share was when Thundercat spent over nine hours wandering around the studio, his friend's apartment, and the local park looking for something to bang on to make the perfect percussion sound for his track. First it started off with basic stuff, like him knocking on his bass, then the floor, then the microphone stand, whatnot. Then by the time we were at his friend's apartment, Steve was banging bananas against apples and saying "Man I'm so close I'm gettin there but I can't find the perfect sound!" We were all laughing and playing it off as a joke, him included, but he also was partially serious. We ended up settling on a distorted sample of him smacking a palm tree a couple of times. Obviously we had real drum sounds layered over it, but he was really adamant about that tree sound

I don't know, that's completely out of my hands. From what I'm hearing, there's gonna be a couple snippets on Zane. I think that's true, but I'm not entirely sure

How does the album cover look like?

read the fucking thread, fuckwad

Do you really have to respond like that?

call me an autist but
i was super super excited for this follow up, i've really enjoyed this man's music in the past. i was buying on the mystique/suspense-building stream thing UNTIL today with the obvious product placement. seeing that just shattered the aura of mystic artistry and now i can only see this as a big advertisement. sucks.

I appreciate you user, I personally don't have anymore questions I can think of now.

I'm pretty sure I answered that one already

Please tell me there's no rapping in it, i just want a plain R&B album

i think i remember reading in an interview some years ago that sonically the album takes inspiration from beach boys/beatles. that still accurate at all?

>tfw i identyify myself as a /r/hiphophead
>never listened to frank ocean in my life

u fags mad?

I would say so. Moreso Beach Boys than Beatles though. A lot of beach-sounding instrumentals and cool harmonies. Very Surf's Up inspired

Guy answering questions here. It's been fun, but I gotta get headed out soon. I'll answer anything asked in the next five minutes, then I'm out

Any really obscure hints as to who you are friend?

see

Nahhh lol. I'm not even someone a lot of you would know, I mean you are a music board so I guess you would have some apppreciation for engineers and studio managers and whatnot, but I don't think anyone would find it super interesting to know who I am
If you want plain R&B you are going to be disappointed. There is less rapping on this than on channel ORANGE though

Alright mu, it's been real. See ya around I guess? By the time I can get to a computer tomorrow the album will probably already be out, so peace

>constant stream of amazing neo-soul, soul, funk, modern funk and contemporary r&b released all the time
>funk/soul/r&b threads have less than 5 posters
>p4k rave over pbr&b artists Frank Ocean, D'Angelo and Janelle Monroe
>Sup Forums are suddenly huge rhythm and blues fans

wew

Mad that you're here and not on reddit where you fucking belong.

Why would anyone give a shit what you haven't listened to, that's your problem.

alright love you babe, see you in the studio

>p4k rave over pbr&b artists Frank Ocean, D'Angelo and Janelle Monroe

Not even close

Frank Ocean is contemporary R&B, D'Angelo is Neo-Soul and Janelle Monae is wacky pop with lot of instruments.

>contemporary R&B, Neo-Soul
>not PBR&B

cringe

:^))

hahaha me too bro