It's 2100. You're a music professor at a prestigious university...

It's 2100. You're a music professor at a prestigious university, and it's time to put together your lectures on 2000-2020. Who and what do you talk about?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hipster_Handbook
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

animal collective, joanna newsom, sufjan stevens, kendrick lamar, kanye west (unfortunately)
chillwave and vaporwave, maybe discuss how experimental works became more popular thanks to the internet
probably have to talk about some trap because it exploded for some reason

Vaporwave and Future Funk then once I'm done talking about the differences and similarity between the two I'd go on to explain why Future Funk is a much better genre.

...so entirely ignoring the first decade?

Also, why focus attention on vaporwave? Do you think it will be lasting or just another fairly quick fad?

The first decade of the 2000 was pretty shit for music desu

Oh yeah, summer.

2010: music starts

Nice meme, hows your summer been.

>ignoring the first decade
huh? animal collective were way huger in that decade than they are now, and sufjan, kanye and joanna have maintained a relatively consistent popularity over the 2. chillwave was also birthed in the first decade.
as for vaporwave, it's most certainly a fad but music often can be. i don't think trap will stick around either, and chillwave clearly hasn't really. still an important part of the history. just because disco is dead doesn't mean you don't learn about it in class.

Vaporwave will probably only be around for a year at most.

>animal collective were way huger in that decade
No, they were hipster (well, protohipster because hipsters weren't really a named thing in the early part of the 00s) bait, just like now and I promise you that far fewer people had ever heard of them at that time.

>sufjan
A literal who.
>kanye
Debuted in the middle of the 00s, but primary influence was this decade. I mean, do we talk about Beethoven when he was shitting in diapers or at the height of his influence?
>joanna have maintained a relatively consistent popularity over the 2.
Your only real point here.
>chillwave was also birthed in the first decade.
That's arbitrary. When was rock created? Depends entirely on how you define rock. If you're teaching something, you spend time on how things were important, not dickering about on pedagological wankery revolving around the initiation of something like a movement.

idk because there are still 4 fucking years left you fucking idiot

meant for OP lel

You're making a mistake here, you cannot talk about vaporwave, vaporwave as never been a thing, not even a fad. It's been somewhat "alive" on the internet, but it doesn't even exist in real life. At least where I live nobody has even heard the word vaporwave, exept for a friend of mine who actually like the genre.
And if you want to talk about experimental electronic, you do not talk about vaporwave.
It would be a bit like talking about rock but using nickelback as a fucking reference.

pleb... people would point to you and say, "pitchfork faked everyone out and imprinted their taste on plebs despite there being the internet and hundreds of thousands of albums to go through"

>underage

The term hipster has been used for decades going back to the 50's if I recall correctly

>hipsters weren't really a named thing in the early part of the 00s

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hipster_Handbook

are you serious
fucking pleb
like I could literally name you ten great albums from the top of my head but I bet you'd say "ahhh but those albums are shit"

Oh, the world was definitely around and people were hipsters, but the popularizing of the term didn't really happen until after 2010.

I'd point out that Sup Forums influenced too many people with just shit taste.

It's going to be a bit hard to come up with the 2017-2020 lectures at this point, lol.

Please do, I haven't heard enough from the 2000s

Are you seriously this autistic? The point of the thread is to talk about what acts and trends you think will be seen as important in the future. It's not a massive leap to jump to "hey, maybe I should ignore these last couple of years that happened or maybe even I should just project forward what's happening now and make some predictions for what will happen through the rest of this decade".

But yeah, you're literal, asstard reading and interpretation is definitely the height of cleverness.

it is a massive leap because you have no fucking idea what could come up in those years but insist you would and that it wouldn't matter you actual retard

Haha...

2008-2009 is when the term became mainstream.

>sufjan
>a literal who
you have no clue what you're talking about
guess it depends on environment. lots of kids talk about vaporwave at my school, but i also go to a uni where everyone thinks they're a special snowflake.
pitchfork had a big influence from 2000-2010. im not sure what your point is. do you look down on people who used to read rolling stone? you seem a bit pretentious.
>popularizing of the term didn't really happen until after 2010.
not true, btw.

by 2100 everyone will have forgotten of the meme bands like Death Grips and Animal Collective
We'd talk about the true influential musicians of the 2000's. Soulja Boy, Lil Wayne, Kanye West, Eminem, and Lex Luger.

t. teenager

a quick one, sorted from the least to most likely known/already heard

31 Minutos
Justo y Necesario
Follakzoid
Frames
Silent Hill 2
Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
Origin of Symmetry
Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends
Alive 2007
Hail to The Thief

most of it is rock because I'm a fag for rock
Jazz should be much easier to point out but I'm no jazz expert

oh, by Frames I meant this album by OCEANSIZE

"Why hello class, are you enjoying your virtual reality head sets?"

"a few students giggle as they seem to show little interest in my lecture."

"W-well... today we arr starting our lecture on the music of the early 21st century. A few decades before the Islamic World War (which started in 2024) and the Beta Uprising (2025-2028). There was the start of the new millenium."

"And for that old country known as the USA a very important event happened called 9/11. This terrorist attack was so devistating that it caused the USA to change everything about its government, security, and yes even culture."

"The music of the first decade of the 2000's is generally forgettable, at least the songs on the radio were. There were some monumental indie bands and Joanna Newsom and Spring Heeled Jack were rhe only artists to mame anything worthy of study. The 2010's was the start of the previous mentioed wars (or WW3) as we like to call them. This decade like the last had little progression on the airwabes but in the Internet undergroundthere were subgenres and ironic cultures. The crowning achievement beinv known as vaporwave."

"Vaporwave is perhaps the most important genre of music because it really brings into qurstion how important originality or skill are."

"Macintosh Plus starts playing"

>spring heeled jack

Not Kendrick I know that

I definitely wouldn't focus on pop and all irrelevant internet meme genres.
I'd talk about Guerrero, Haas, Rihm, Hosokawa, Hovda, Frey, Rautavaara, Ferneyhough, Finnissy, Lachenmann, Romitelli, Saariaho and Neuwirth

God damn it's closer to 2020 than 2010 now.

Love him or hate him, you can't deny that Kendrick is basically running the game right now. He's shaping up to be the defining rapper of this decade. If he pulls together a few more great albums before 2020, yeah he'll go down in the history books.

>tibs fedoruh

>yet another storytelling West Coast rapper will "define" our generation
He does nothing new, his albums could easily have been released in the 90's.
Kanye will be the defining rapper of our generation.

darkthrone

>think it will be lasting
its becoming more mainstream every year with actual musicians taking inspiration from it

I wonder how long it's going to take you kiddies to realize that it's only pop music that survives. Rachmaninoff, Mozart, Beethoven, etc. were the Lady Gaga/Katy Perrys of their day. Hell, it's kind of like how in literature Charles Dickens was little different from a writer in the 1950s short story magazines.

All of your much beloved, super important music and superior taste will be forgotten, even in this age where everything is digital and copies are somewhere.

my mom walked into my room to wake me up this morning for some reason and she got to see me sleeping naked with the covers on the floor, face down legs spread. saw a big view of my hairy asshole

Rock Revivalism with Strokes, Interpol, White Stripes

Emergence of indie with Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem, Animal Collective

Continued Progression of established acts: Kanye, Swans, Radiohead, Bowie.

And of course Death Grips somewhere. Probably the most important group of our time.

kek

>do you look down on people who used to read rolling stone?
not him but yes

t. embryo

This pretty much.

How does it make you feel to know that scholars in 200 years will be writing dissertations on Brittany Spears?

You might also want to mention the impact of availability and accessibility of computers and electronics along with the means of distribution (Via the internet) and breakdown of communication between artist and consumer

>breakdown of communication between artist and consumer
Huh?
There never has been any real communication between the two groups. Lack of access prior was just a convenient excuse.

You don't remember what life was like before there was Internet, shut the fuck up you child

> (You)
>>sufjan
>>a literal who
>you have no clue what you're talking about
In terms of what the future will remember, user is right. No one is going to have the first clue who this guy is in even 50 years.

The first topic would be the massively influential rapper Soulja Boy. Critically ignored and hated by the hip-hop community during his career, in 2100 he is recognized for the pioneering genius that he is. By inventing Internet rap and confidently not trying to cultivate a street thug persona, he presaged the direction hip-hop would take from the 2010s on.

>when you accidentally reveal you've been samefagging
ayy nice one dude

i'd read HHH's manifesto word for word while digitally penetrating my rectum and cosplaying as a black jewish genderqueer cripple

The rise and fall of pop punk/emo in the early 2000's with mentions of the myspace band culture. Moving into the late 2000's i'd discuss the rise of EDM and the rise of the bedroom producer with mention of the microgenres that were appearing on the internet. For the 2010's so far i'd talk about modern rap music, the nostalgic nature of basically all music today with a specific nod towards vaporwave. I'd mention future pop and trap as a possible trend that may continue into the late 2010s.

If you wanna talk about interesting Electronic music from 2000s, talk about Oneothrix point never, he literally created vaporwave but his own music is really avantgarde and fresh interesting ideas.

Kinda false, many composer were not really famous in life and now incredibly praised (Sibelius who?).
Also since 1910 stuff is completely different due to the record and to the audience (just few noblemen have heard Mozart when he was alive if you think about it)

That said, Katy Perry isn't the mozart or the Beethoven or this time, they're much more the Louis Jordan of this time

>2000-2006: music is changing

Kid A
Amnesiac
Demon Days
Cross
Discovery
Population Override
Sung Tongs
Vespertine
Strawberry Jam
Hail to the Thief
Random Album Title
On An Island
Melody A.M.
Halo 3 OST

>implying Pink Guy can be topped

Yeah and also it was a term for over 30 years before that too fucking no one read on the road

Hipster meant something entirely different back then. It was a term used in jazz culture.

Besides, if you're teaching about music of this time period, you'll have to talk about today's hipster movement, because like it or not, it's influential.

fix yourself