/daily/ - Daily Album Discussion "Would have been GOAT if Riley had just omitted 'Cadenza'" Edition

It's the Year of the Tucks Medicated Pad

Listen to your library, show off your backlog, babble about new music, tell us what you've been listening to today and what you will listen to in the following month, post memes, talk about music, visit Jangle's Tourney Grave ($10 admission), argue about opinions, be at peace with /rym/, and just let the good times flow.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>new topsters now that topsters has officially shit the bed

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>this is actually really fun but a lot of people have to participate.

synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel
>plug but snug

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>site with templates, OP covers, archive, & random stuff

discord.gg/s5Rv7zJ
>shitpost machine

Ask about the Skype group. Go ahead. I fucking dare you.

Most importantly, One Earth, One People, One Love!

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_(2015_film)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Room_(film)
strawpoll.me/10917855
rateyourmusic.com/list/TEthearbiter/a_shared_chart/
youtube.com/watch?v=78--NY1MYQU
spheredelic.com/en/music/nigromante-the-euphonies-and-profundidades-sd-056-detail.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for shitposting.

who is your favorite

don cherry

fourth for music

still need recs from
benji (passionate)
jimmy jazz (passionate)
torts (passionate)
givingbear (instrumental)
anonymouse (instrumental)

grant green

/daily/ loves Sanders but Zorn has my vote (mostly because he's the only one out of these that I've actually listened to)

I'll say John McLaughlin because he's by far the most consistent person that I know of in the options to vote. If John Zorn didn't make a slew of cheese I would vote for him.

here's another
Can't really get into him as much as other people. I like mu but not much more has stood out for me.

McCoy Tyner

Sun Ra is good and I was trying to listen to Bear but I'm too tired to enjoy.
More music tomorrow maybe.

what is passionate to you? give me an example

someone who is very "into" the music they're playing, very emotional

Guitarra Portuguesa (1967) by Carlos Paredes

F A D O until getting eliminated

Where were you when /daily/ was unable to disprove that Morbid Angel's Altars Of Madness is the pinnacle of popular music and that Autechre's elseq 1-5 has transcended music? This wouldn't even be a problem if /daily/ wasn't full of illogical kiddies.

does the instrumental have to be passionate as well? If not, I choose Vladimir Martynov's Come In!

Why did you not rec Unjust Malise

>elseq 1-5 has transcended music
so, it's not music?

The worlds longest tourney? Or the world's laziest trip?

also lets add a 50 min cap for each mixtape

Haven't finished it yet, otherwise I would have

>neo-psych/noise
noooo/yessss

get ready boy

It is part of the aural medium, but it has transformed it into something that doesn't exist.

Where were you when you were supposed to prove the validity of those statements but were unable to? In discord. You were in discord.

lol i had "zero bytes available" so i closed chrome (i had a shitload of tabs open) and reopened and i now have 5.74 GB available

What happened to these tapes?

>get ready boy
... for Snuff Jazz. Just Snuff Jazz.

But I already did.

Plot twist: everyone else's sheer display of plebness was my evidence all along!

That's not how it works. We both know what you're doing and it stopped being funny a while ago. I think you should stop.

1. rec dis chart papi

2. Americans, who ya'll voting for?

Wait, you didn't listen to it in a single sit? What a pleb

>hyped to listen to album i downloaded
>start playing
>it's beautiful
>one minute in it starts skipping
brb killing myself

>my plebness is showing so I'll just "stahp" meme this master patrician

Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness
Autechre - elseq 1-5
Third Ear Band - Elements
Robbie Basho - Visions Of The Country

>not appreciating the superior experimental glitch techniques of the music player's AI who has at this become the true artist

why is live residents so good

1. taku sugimoto - opposite
2. not going to vote is a vote for clinton, so probably gary johnson, or maybe i'll succumb to daddy trump

we dont have a decent candidate anyway

>>not appreciating the superior experimental glitch techniques of the music player's AI who has at this become the true artist
heh
it was only on the first track so im good with him

altars of madness was absolute dogshit imo, elseq 1-5 was p alright, really enjoyed basho, haven't heard elements

thanks user

I'm voting for Clinton desu, although I know this entire website will get on my ass for it

thanks for the rec mane, looks p cool. reminds me a lot of jim O'Rourkes In Bern album

People who think Trump is better than Clinton are truly stupid

They actually show their faces live!?

Yeah dude. Elements is a pretty cool take on folk. Oh and I forgot to say that I don't think I am voting this time around.

1g of fat and 100 cal ain't bad. 5/10 not as good as elseq 1-5.

Thanks.

>They actually show their faces live!?
no thats a picture of john balance

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Shit it's been almost a year since I touched Coil I should revisit some of that stuff was dank

once again, shitty opinions alert

Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners (1957)
>hard bop

The compositions are certainly put together well, and Monk is of course an absolute god, but the interplay between the band is pretty poor and the 3 middle tracks suffer as a result of the great bookend tracks. "Pannonica" is the best of these middle tracks, but that's really only because of the celesta, and celestas have basically my favorite sound of any instrument ever, so I'm pretty biased. Besides the awesome celesta, these tracks are just kinda middle of the road, they're pleasant to listen to, but they do nothing to impress. Even on the tracks that do have a lot to offer compostionally and that boast some truly amazing piano work by Monk—the title track and "Bemsha Swing"—Monk overshadows the rest of the band so much it's not even funny. Rollins, who I usually love, has a sax that sounds almost like a kazoo it's so damn out of tune, and Pettiford and Chambers' bass work doesn't do much to impress. Roach is of course great on the drums, but he's still outplayed by Monk. This is obviously Monk's record, and the rest of the band is just bringing him down.

2.5+

Chris Chan fucking CUT a hole in his ass

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

MUSIC FOR THIS FEEL

>when the encore begins and it's motherfucking Satisfaction
oh yesss

im just waiting to see which one of us gets the first 3.5 desu

>visit Jangle's Tourney Grave ($10 admission)
just saw this haha

coil is worth a revisit, i recommend returning to ape of naples and horse rotorvator to start with.

wait what

I need more info

he has some kind of abcess on his taint that he thinks is a labia caused by subliminal frequency videos
he is denying that he needs to go to the doctor and he might die if he continues to

This is a record that's worth revisiting as its approach to bop is pretty crazy. It's worth noting that not everyone's trying to be technical on this record with the brass/sax guys trying to do what was and is still in that format pretty experimental and out there. And not to mention that while the rhythm section isn't insane, the two basses and Roaches drum result in this warm, huge, proto-dubstepy sound.

Yeah I'll def visit the big four ones I liked (Horse, Love, Dark, and Ape). Idk about Black Antlers though I was lukewarm on that and the Backwards series of albums.

Sounds like he might have piles or some shit. Slight chance Crohn's probably not though. Either way should check with a doc ASAP.

thanks mane

>born to run a 2.5
I strongly disagree

elements is dope thanks man

the whole story of chris-chan makes me really sad. i'd be lying if i said i haven't gotten into it, but god it's so depressing.

yeah i'll definitely be revisiting it a bunch. i would definitely say i prefer Monk's Dream a fair bit however.

i still liked it! thunder road, born to run, backstreets, and jungleland are all great, but the other 4 songs just do nothing for me.

eh, I'm prob just a fanboy but that album changed me man, one of the only pieces of art to deeply impact me as a person soo

but yeah tenth avenue freezeout is pretty bad imo

>the whole story of chris-chan makes me really sad. i'd be lying if i said i haven't gotten into it, but god it's so depressing.
yeah
it was kinda funny (in a really dark way) during the earlier days, but ever since his dad died and he started trying to have a sex change using binaural beats it's just gotten really weird and sad

how do you feel about nebraska? I'm mixed on born to run but i think nebraska's a near masterpiece.

probably my 3rd or 4th favorite album from Springsteen. Still blew me away

chris needs legit mental help /badly/

i've gotta listen to more springsteen.

what have you listened to broski

Do this one to me :(((
I want to see my favorite records get 2.0

Easy. Just have an OSDM album as your favorite.

stop
what are you listening to right now

Giving some of the tracks from Fahey's Requia one final listen before I come to my conclusion and review it on here.

prokofiev bout to bump some avalanches headin to a party in a bit

Transa
it's good, I need to listen to more Veloso

I'm going to watch a movie tonight. Should I watch Room or The Room?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_(2015_film)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Room_(film)
strawpoll.me/10917855

rateyourmusic.com/list/TEthearbiter/a_shared_chart/

Uriah Heep - Look at Yourself (1971)
>hard rock, progressive rock

Very derivative of pretty much every single other '70s hard rock album, but it's done well and tastefully. Certainly nothing special, and some songs ("What Should Be Done", "I Wanna Be Free") are straight up /bad/, but when it gets more progressive, like on the title track and "July Morning", it's a nice and fun listen. The main draw here is the organ, it adds a lot to tracks that would otherwise be completely generic without it. Dozens of album have done what this album is doing and probably done it better, but it's a pretty good listen, and it's set apart from its contemporaries with the super over the top vocals and the organ.

2.5-

just Nebraska and Born to Run, sadly.

down the pipeline i'll probably drone a few more /daily/ens, i'll make sure to include you when i do. gonna take a break from droning after this though.

room's actually a really great movie but /the/ room is possibly the most enjoyable movie ever.

depends on your mood what you should watch

6th album of the day, 899 to go

try darkness on the edge of town, it's a blend of both of them, but leans more towards Born to Run style songwriting

which proko?

v nice, first listen?

Just finished this lads, honestly a breddy good album, recommend it to everyone. 8/10.

She supported a band I saw earlier this year (relatively small gig, like 50 people) and she was incredible live. She mingled in the crowd afterwards as well and she was really friendly, signed her EP that was for sale at the venue, gave great chats and invited everyone to cuddle her. Lovely person.

My favourite song off the album if you'd like to sample before listening:
youtube.com/watch?v=78--NY1MYQU

>room's actually a really great movie
really?
because i read part of the book and it's garbage

3rd, it's already a personal favorite

it's a decent film. I don't know the 3rd :]

desu I'm just using as background music right now just have a playlist on shuffle

"Sonata No.9, Op. 103: Allegro con brio, ma non troppo presto"

lmao wow get me up in this thread

Lol I will tonight

I actually listened to it in a single listen without knowing it's basically a compilation. Be ready for the cringe that is the spoken word part

Fahey's America. May be my last Fahey, may do some Art Blakey after

will do, been wanting to check it out for awhile.

it's mainly great because Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay give amazing performances, but the screenplay and direction are solid too.

Good morning /daily/!

Yay for Fridays. Finishing up on the second CD of NORK.

what is this "nork"

New Orleans Rhythm Kings

>Caetano Veloso - Transa
Awesome classic Brazilian pop that often starts out sounding like any other early 70s pop act but then veers into monster percussion and steps up the tempo. Fav track: Triste Bahia

Rolling

McCoy Tyner- Time for Tyner

thanks

Just Folk My Shit Up: John Fahey Edition - Day 7

Requia

Requia is Fahey's first album that he released through Vanguard instead of his usual Takoma records, with some kind of deal that with Vanguard he would do more typical sounding music while Takoma would be where he experimented. While that did set up some sort of expectation, the actual album itself is quite the surprise.

At first it starts off with Requiem For John Hurt, and I believed the usual “if you go to a more poppy label your sound gets watered down” when I was initially listening to this. There are nowhere near as many subtleties as a typical Fahey track. The cleaner production, the lack of dynamics, the lack of the sorta minimalism inspired stuff he's been delving in, though there is like one or two chords that can be considered contextually atypical. Thinking about this track more, considering the name (it's a tribute to Mississippi John Hurt who died the year before this album released,) things somewhat make more sense, and then things make maximum sense once I read up on Fahey's notes that it's actually played in what he calls “Charlie Patton style” (who I just learned is considered the Father of the Delta Blues.) I get why Fahey played this the way he did, but with the production (I prefer rawer production for this kind of blues) and everything else I mentioned I didn't feel it that much.

To be continued in next post

The second Requiem on the album, this one for his great uncle Russell Cooper, was better imo. What makes this one really work...well...Fahey himself said so in the notes. He says the track sounds like the way he talked. In the beginning Fahey starts with some chords, works with a particular hook, then ends with some chords, then starts another hook, etc. It's like someone's conversing and then giving a surefire conclusion at the end of each conversation that they had like a very confident person with a strong personality. Kinda reminds me of the way my maternal grandfather talks/told me stories. There's a very cool little theme that he repeats in each metaphorical conversation in this track that I also personally love.

Fahey on When The Catfish Is In Bloom: Perhaps those who have never gone cat-fishing on some large river like the Potomac or the Sligo will not be able to cope with this song. My initial reaction to just how weirdly happy it sounds to me makes me agree with this as I have never gone catfishing. That being said, I do enjoy the cool way he does the picking and makes it sound pretty Indian (the main riff thing that you'll definitely know when you listen to this.)

To be continued in next and final post.

Now if the rest of the tracks were just like above I wouldn't be as big on this album. But they aren't. Behold the four part Requiem For Molly. The sound collage stuff is here! THIS is the track (four tracks) YOU need to listen to off of this album. Throughout the track various recordings come in of someone who's supposed to be a well known person at Knott's Berry Farm (Molly), and how their life starts to fall apart psychologically. At first I didn't really notice this, but as the sound collages kept going they started sounding less and less happy and upbeat, and the realization hit me hard. As for the actual guitar parts, Fahey took a totally different approach, but I personally approve of. As the sound collages would get louder and more would appear through the tracks, the guitar parts during them would continually get less and less minimal and even softer dynamically. The sound of helplessly watching someone else's demise. Bit. By bit. By bit. As of now among my personal favorite Fahey tracks along with Mark 1:15 and Fare Forward Voyagers.

Of course the final track's a hymn like all records so far.

3.5/5

Serious, all you guys who appreciate samples and collagey stuff should check out all parts of Requiem For Molly. Fucking great.

So Far:

John Fahey - Blind Joe Death: 3.5/5
John Fahey - Death Chants, Breakdowns & Military Waltzes: 3/5
John Fahey - The Dance Of Death And Other Plantation Favorites: 3.5/5
John Fahey - The Transfiguration Of Blind Joe Death: 3.5/5
John Fahey - The Great San Bernardino Birthday Party & Other Excursions: 3/5
John Fahey - Days Have Gone By: 3.5/5
John Fahey - Requia: 3.5/5

Great review my man, I'm really enjoying these
John hurt and Charley Patton both had a massive influence on Fahey's playing. I implore you to check them out if you're at all interested in the precursors of American Primitive Guitar Music.
Also I'm hesitant to call Charley Patton the founder of the delta blues. I think the style had similar origins to jazz, where unknown and unrecognized musicians had been playing it beforehand. Charley may have just been the first recorded musician to play this style, possibly due to his mixed heritage that allowed him to pass off as a white man (not to diminish the man's impact, he was a fantastic guitar player and trailblazer of the genre). That's my theory at least.

>Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Africaine (1981)
I love Art Blakey's sound. He has that unique ride cymbal loaded full of rivets that give it that sizzle. His famous press roll comes in tastefully now and again. This album features loads of drum solos too, which really show of his chops. The Jazz Messengers are also in top form here, especially Lee Morgan on trumpet. Excellent all around.

Rolling

Nigromante - Profundidades

Thanks

Thanks bruh. Yeah I'll definitely get to those two at some point. I honestly just read off of wikipedia that Patton's considered the Father of Delta Blues. But yeah I can see that. So I guess I wasn't the only one who noticed that thing about his skin color cuz that was in fact honestly the first thing I noticed.

Yay! I got a rec in.

spheredelic.com/en/music/nigromante-the-euphonies-and-profundidades-sd-056-detail.html

Legally free download of it and another work from them.

looks interesting - thanks for the link

Who are some underapreciated drummers /daily/? Hamid Drake deserves more love than he gets IMO

Jeanne Lee - Conspiracy (1974)
>avant-garde jazz, vocal jazz

Avant-garde vocal jazz is possibly one of the most intriguing genre combinations possible, and while nothing I've heard (I've literally heard like 3 things that could fall under that category) really lives up to the potential this idea has, this is definitely a wonderful attempt, that falls a bit short. The vocals are obviously at the forefront here, and by at the forefront I mean they literally dominate nearly every single track, this is nearly an a cappella/spoken word album, instrumentation is generally very sparse, and when the more typical jazz sounds start to take the track over from the vocals, the album suffers, it just goes into more typical avant-jazz territory. But when the instrumentals serve to amplify the effect of the vocals rather than take over from them, it's incredible. The closing track in particular does this well, very dark and solemn instrumentation is used to add extra layers to the sound, making the vocals stand out more and seem more powerful. This is very, very cool, even though I'd dig it more if it was straight up a cappella honestly, or at least peppered with a bit less instruments.

3.0+

goodnight /daily/! i'm going to try and start waking up at 6 instead of 11 so i'm not completely fucked when i actually have an obligation to do that. listening to esther russell as soon as i get up.

That album is super underrated, Requiem for Molly really is one of the best pieces he ever wrote.

and holy shit his closers are always traditional songs or hymns i've never noticed that

Sara Lund (the Unwound chick) was a great drummer on top of being a total qt.

>goodnight /daily/! i'm going to try and start waking up at 6 instead of 11 so i'm not completely fucked when i actually have an obligation to do that. listening to esther russell as soon as i get up.
good luck boyo