Songwriters of Sup Forums, who're your influences?

Songwriters of Sup Forums, who're your influences?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WAGAoy5WZWY
youtube.com/watch?v=CsYHN7eCCtU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Tom Waits, Jeff Mangum, Jason Isbell...

Harry Nilsson, Matt Mondanile, Panda Bear

Lou Reed, mostly. He's a master of artful artlessnes and unpretentious but well-written lyrics.
My songwriting tends to be pretty ambitious, but most of my influences are either literary or pop. Never both. I hate pretentious pop musicians.

Pretty varied, desu. Trent Reznor is probably the biggest one. Meticulous studio production, and accessible without sacrificing quality.
I love Elliott Smith's chord structures.
Maybe some more dramatic bands like The Dear Hunter in terms of song structure.
Thursday is good, but I really love Geoff Rickly as a lyricist.
Kurt Cobain is great as far as guitar work goes.
Lots of electronic bands influence how I approach production. Mostly industrial and IDM.

Nick Drake, Anton Newcombe (the BJM), Alex Chilton (Big Star), Cocteau Twins, Slowdive, and miscellaneous shoegaze & slowcore bands.

best tom waits songs?

Johnsburg, Illinois.

Dave Matthews, John Mayer, Bob Dylan

cold cold ground

Grimes

I guess Grouper, The Master Musicians of Bukkake, Avey Tare, Vashti Bunyan, and Kim Myhr

But realistically, any music that I happen to like influences me in some way

Lou Reed, Ryan Adams, J Mascis, Andrew Savage, Mikal Cronin

Townes van Zandt

definetely

>Trent Reznor
he´s a good producer, but i wouldnt consider him as a songwriter though his piano tunes shatter my impression on this
youtube.com/watch?v=WAGAoy5WZWY

>Anton Newcombe (the BJM)
although i appretiate his songwriting skills, it is kinda sad that he never made a really great album. it is all scattered through out his medium albums

Chris Weisman is probably my biggest influence atm. Really made me change my approach to song making.

I really appreciate Damon Albarn's ability to make pop songs that have multiple styles and vibes to them, as well as his ability to touch upon tons of genres in weird ways.

I'm a loser. I couldn't write a good song if I tried. But I still persist. I really like the pastoral nature of Neil Young's lyrics. Nick Drake is also a favorite in his simplistic and sparse, yet meaningful lyrics. I also really like Elliott Smith, Jeff Mangum, Tim Buckley, Townes Van Zandt, Jackson C. Frank, Jandek, Jason Molina, Joni Mitchell, Sibylle Baier, Mark Kozelek, Van Morrison, Bob Dylan, Stuart Murdoch, Alex Chilton, Bill Fay, Donovan, and Syd Barrett. You know, all the obvious ones since I'm a cliche and unoriginal loser.

m8 half of those would acknowledge Dylan or Hank Williams as one of their biggest influences, there's nothing unoriginal in having good taste.

Started off with Syd Barrett. Then it was Gira. Then it was an array of artists like Karen O, Coil, Radiohead, La Monte Young, Jim O'Rourke. Then it was Jandek and Haino. Now I have no idea. Fahey maybe?

listen to Karen Dalton

she might fit your taste

youtube.com/watch?v=CsYHN7eCCtU

Yeah, all the same shit everyone else likes.

Bill Callahan, Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, John Darnielle, Townes Van Zandt, Mark Kozelek, Fiona Apple, Phil Elverum, Nick Drake, Robin Pecknold, Joanna Newsom, Joni Mitchell, John Lennon, Jeff Mangum, Sufjan Stevens, Matt Berninger, Elliott Smith, Devendra Banhart, Will Oldham, Brian Wilson, etc...

Van Morrison, David Lowery, Jerry Garcia, Robert Hunter, and Lowell George mostly, if we're just talking about songwriters.
I also take alot of cues from poets like John Keats, William Wordsworth, and T.S. Eliot.
That's just for lyrics though. Melodies are a whole other story.

Jeff Buckley, Nick Drake, Elliott Smith, Robbie Chater, and Peter Hook.

jesus christ

Lou Reed for straightforward prose
Bob Dylan for painting a picture without ever describing whats happening in it
Bruce Springsteen for telling you exactly what your soul has wanted to hear all its life
Thomas Pynchon for showing that a story doesn't have to mean anything for it to be meaningful.

these supposed influences really don't come across in the vocaroo/soundcloud threads

question; is there a difference between "influences" and favourite artists?

Taking influence from good artist doesn't make you a good artist

For me, not really

Sure, one of my all time favorite artists is David Bowie but he's not really a strong influence. I just don't have the head for it, that musical comprehension that shows in his arrangements and production.
Maybe if I was more talented, i'd take a page out of his playbook.

Ay come on, there's always a few pretty good posters in those things.

He's got so many eras and styles. It's hard to pick. Lately, I've been delving into Rain Dogs.

niykee heaton
nas
james blunt
brand new
la dispute
hermann hesse
mos def

Well vocaroo threads are usually just covers and stuff and soundcloud threads are usually just
>vaporwave
>chill
>beats
Not that there's anything wrong with that I guess.

Bandcamp threads would be a place that you'd be able to see these influences