I like this album. I like Deafheaven. A lot of people hate them. I've never seen a good reason why...

I like this album. I like Deafheaven. A lot of people hate them. I've never seen a good reason why. The most common one I see is that they're ripoffs, but nobody ever gives any examples of who they've stolen from.

Give me a reason. Make me hate Deafheaven.

They're not true kvlt

not black metal

gay reason. the album is good

>nobody ever gives any examples of who they've stolen from
Alcest
Agalloch
Most post metal bands

>sounding similar is stealing
I bet you'd defend Burzum

They do bite a bit on other blackgaze bands, but I think the main reason people hate them is that they look like they just logged off of /fa/...

If people don't like a band cause they dress well then those people are autistic.

I bet you just started listening to black metal recently, didn't you? Agalloch is the most bullshit answer, Alcest less so. I would definitely agree they at least take influence from Alcest, but the music just isn't that similar.
Either you haven't listened to much Alcest or you haven't actually listened to Sunbather.

Aayy welcome to the metal community. There's one reason everyone else makes fun of us.

>logged off
they have a Sup Forums account?

>nobody ever gives any examples of who they've stolen from
envy (japanese hardcore band)

anyway their dynamics never really impressed me and the band members are creepo bay area beta fags and i have no reason to give a shit. i liked a few riffs on their new album.

most metal is stupid but intellectualized/artistically legitimized metal is stupider. i think entombed are smarter composers than all those bands. they know when to play a riff and then stop playing that riff and play another riff. some of these guys out there can't even write a riff. what's metal without riffs? heavy indie rock without the heart of a good indie rock band.

Selling yourself as a black metal band like Myrkur is the only problem I have with them. It's Screamo/Shoegaze and that's it.

damn, they really are frauds!

This is one of the better responses I've seen. Doesn't make me hate them, though, a lot of those are more issues within most of the metal community.

The line between screamo, shoegazing, and black metal is growing thinner and more abstract. Lots of bands are blurring these genres, limiting them to one or two genres is silly. I, and a lot of other people, think it's black metal. Some people would disagree with both you and me and say it's post metal.
I'm not necessarily calling them boundary pushers or anything that noble, I just think it's not that set in stone.

So far you're all failing at making me like Deafheaven less, but I've at least seen some thought out and reasonable disses. Keep em coming.

they're not wearing corpsepaint

they sound fucking gay

>A lot of people hate them.

That's because they're easy to hate. They play metal and look like hipsters. Might as well paint a bullseye on their forehead.

>I've never seen a good reason why.

Because they're appropriating elements of an underground and elitist genre into something unrelated to its core. This is part of a bigger problem. People outside of black metal are starting to appropriate it to their own tailored identities and they clip off things that come with black metal that are not PC.

With that being said the "problem" of Deafheaven faded out shortly after Sunbather came. I never see them discussed on any metal forum I frequent. Metalheads don't really care about them.

How exactly are they selling themselves as a black metal band? I've never seen any of them refer to themselves as any genre really, they mostly tend not to talk about metal in interviews. And a bright pink album cover and dressing like hipsters? It doesnt look to me like they are trying to get a metal audience at all. It surprises me when they play on tour wih bands like Slipknot and Lamb of God, i think they'd get on far better going for a more alt rock and pitchforkcore audience.

But then there's also the argument of "what screamo or shoegaze have you been listen to that has that amount of fucking blastbeats?" and more over, "why does the genre a band is marketed as in any way affect your opinion of the music?"

They're not really biting off anyone if you can name less than 5 bands with a similar sound

lmao you sound like someone moaning about cultural appropriation but with an overrated style of music instead of, like, something important

>instead of, like, something important
you heard it here first, braindead white girls wearing native headdresses on halloween is the most pressing societal issue of our time

fuck off

Deafheaven are the most plagiarist band I've ever heard, and I even like them anyway. That guy just touched the top of the iceberg.

They rip off Neige projects (cover and a lot of the sound of Sunbather is from Lantlos), various atmoblack especially Agalloch and Wolves in the Throne Room, and screamo acts like Envy and Suis la Lune. Even Christopher Cross is not safe.

I don't like their music. They just sound like a bunch of pointless noise and they merge my two least favourite genres so it's natural that I would not like them, as for other people (aka metalheads) it's just a bunch of 'fuck those poseurs!!! >:(' shit, so don't worry about it so much.

it's not that important to me, but still more of a pressing issue than some whiny BM cunt that thinks his underground music is being "appropriated" by hipsters lmao

I like them a lot
great music and helped get me into more blackgaze and then also black metal

I mean a lot of black metal is meh sure but the stand outs are fantastic

I don't hate them, I think they're boring.

The vocals are just a bit much for me. I could dig them way more if they weren't BM vocals, if the vocalist sounded like Travis Ryan from Cattle Decapitation or something I could probably come to love New Bermuda at least.