/prod/ - Music Production General

"Can't find lunga pic" edition

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Under construction
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com

>/prod/ IRC:
rizon.net/chat
Channel: #/prod/

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/tbto3szp
clyp.it/zz3cwxyh
clyp.it/dmuhhepq
youtube.com/watch?v=nypLtkiahgQ
clyp.it/kbbxhay4
clyp.it/mbxsmzdx
clyp.it/qrzjxpuq
clyp.it/o5d4w51p
clyp.it/01v0bfdo?token=81c96c899488e232b9546cb3b55da4b1
clyp.it/uryzlnat
clyp.it/xzio3aet
clyp.it/pjc5nufz
clyp.it/pnltoue2
clyp.it/3ghbdryk
clyp.it/ppepqiba
clyp.it/xb1eyx24
clyp.it/aso0h0hj
youtu.be/n6ot-qyC0O8
clyp.it/52pvkd2k
clyp.it/pyl2jute
youtube.com/watch?v=anl-Ln1OlPE
youtube.com/watch?v=iSv5bzVx4aA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>"Can't find lunga pic" edition
it's the fourth google image result for "lunga album", try harder lol

Who cares.

ur mom cared about my penis last nite

Fite me IRL. Noscope ONLY.

clyp.it/tbto3szp

Thoughts?? ?? ?

How can I make a good bass that is clear but at the same time very deep sounding? I know it's a retarded question, but I always end up with almost sub bassy sound which can barely push through the mix, but I don't like the edgy noise either, so I lowpass it a lot.

I'm not really sure what I want exactly, but I'm never satisfied with it.

Is that a fucking rack mount Bread Loaf?

It won't work for every type of bassline, but one strategy is to use two distinct layers. One, is your dedicated subbass layer. It is either a sine or triangle, or near-sine/triangle. It plays the same midi & has the same volume envelope as the main "audible" second layer.

The other layer- your 'audible layer' rides on top of this in the freq spectrum- up into the mids. You might lowcut it (the midrange layer) just above where the subbass layer sits- so about 150hz or around there. This is so they don't 'compromise' or interfere with each-other TOO much. A bit of overlap is OK though.

The goal- to trick the listener into hearing one distinct bassline- not two layers. And since you are ONLY feeding a smooth triangle or sine to the sub, you end up with the absolute deepest and most powerful subbass possible, married with whatever tone you like the mid-range to be made up of. Subs like to be driven by nice continuous smooth waveforms.

This is just one technique, you can also just use surgical EQ to clean up the low end of your single-layer bassline, removing garbage freqs like 300hz that muddy up the bass.

I use a similar technique to that 'two layer' stuff i mentioned above on kicks. Often I will have an electronic kick that is very pure harmonically- not busy- just a smooth almost triangle / sine wave with pitch and volume automation- think TR-808 or 909 kick. Then, I have my lowcut (so as not to destroy the integrity of the bass layer) midrange / main audible kick layers above that. You can process these all together with comp or whatnot, to further complete the illusion that this is not several layers- but a single kick sample.

Great answer, I'll try it now, thanks!

Thoughts?

he is the devil

lets retire Lunga

clyp.it/zz3cwxyh

This track was sort of a happy accident that I ended up liking quite a bit, and I'd like to see what other anons thought. Also this thread is super dead right now.

Maybe we should add some famous producer /engineer in the sticky and his quote (with maybe some good /prod/ tip&trick), like it is done in /comp/.

>sticky
Meant an OP, what is wrong with me...

How can I set up BPM of sampled vocals in FL studio properly, so it doesn't change pitch and I can modify it with the rest of the channels in a way it doesn't fuck up again?

I once saw a good tutorial which worked, and it was quite detailed, but I can't find it anymore and all the others are complete trash.

Without a bassline, this just isn't doing much for me. I like the break work you did here, some of the loud af ambient guitar sounds are cool, while others seem borderline random.

I like the overall vibe that you established, it just seems a bit unfocused so far. With a great bassline to work off of the ambient guitar stuff, i would have a stronger opinion about it.

>not using the new and updated pastebin
pastebin.com/jew3GPCZ

Pretty, but in my opinion, I'd like that piano to be quieter.

clyp.it/dmuhhepq
what do you think Sup Forums?

>jew

Not clicking that shit.

>stealing ebooks, vsts, sounds
I guess that link's name appropriate

is this what love feels like

link or it didn't happen

nah

Hissssssss

bump

Does anyone know of a spectrogram (AKA sonogram) VST that displays in logarithmic scale?

I only find external (non-VST) programs like this, and the only VSTs I find use the linear scale (such as Sonogram SG1, which is the one I'm currently using).

Pic related is Foobar's visualizer, which is perfect, but as far as I know it can't be used as a VST.

Thanks in advance.

youtube.com/watch?v=nypLtkiahgQ

Can someone explain to my little pea brain what Andy Stott is doing oh-so-right here? How did he achieve all of this? What makes it so good?

I moved to another country and I've been thinking of getting a komplete kontrol s88 midi controller plus some high end headphones as a temporary replacement for my clavinova. How retarded is the idea? I'm using to compose too, so my only concern is that it also works as a substitute for me to play music with for a while.

>clyp.it/dmuhhepq

As soon as it started, all I could think was "Oo, la la." I like the kick, but the rest of the drums feel a little boring to me. I think the synth that comes in at 1:05 could use some effects or something. To make it a little wonkier. Just for some variation/to make it more interesting. Don't mutilate it though. I also like the distorted sounding guitar-ish synth that comes in at 1:16, but I think it could use somewhat the same treatment. At least a little.

Overall, it's cool and I think you have good sound design skill. And I don't even like hip hop stuff.

I'm not into that kind of music, so I don't know exactly what you mean by "oh-so-right", but what I can tell you is, from a technical perspective there's nothing anyone who's been producing for a few months hasn't mastered.
I think it's just the right sample choice and having the necessary musicality to chop them and place them to achieve a good result.

Basically to do this, you have to try and do this kind of stuff as best as you can, experimenting each time with your tools and with what you can do with your samples, and with time it will suck less and less until it will be good.

>clyp.it/zz3cwxyh
Cool and nice, But the kicks need to punch more. Please keep at this, because I like it. Also, I'm not really sure how I feel about how that vocal/talking sample at the end sits in the mix. Don't know what I would do with it though.

clyp.it/kbbxhay4

thoughts on this so far?

clyp.it/mbxsmzdx

Here's one I just finished still need to mix it a little better

I've been listening to a lot of shoegaze/lo-fi lately and am working with that wall of guitars sound for a demo. no vocals at the moment, and it's not mastered

clyp.it/qrzjxpuq

did I fuzz/reverb my guitar tracks too much? It feels kind of comfy and I can differentiate the guitars cause I laid them down but I'm looking for another opinion if the a e s t h e t i c is over bearing

thank you

My songwriting suffers so much these days because of mixing. I constantly have troubles cleaning up the mix and everything is always clashing with each other, no matter how much EQ, sidechaining, and panning I apply. I am maybe terrible in choosing presets, i don't know anymore.

what are you mixing on? maybe your monitors/headphones suck?
maybe you listen to your mix for too long and your ears get tired?
spectral analysis for at least some reference if you haven't done it already might help too

I'm mixing on Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro.

Eh, I have to post a clyp early in the project again. (Intro is a bit too long at the moment, fyi)

clyp.it/o5d4w51p

See, I don't know if I am going in the wrong direction with the bass. I don't know if it really needs those upper harmonics, that distorted sound. Can you guys give me some ideas? It's still very barebones in terms of arrangement and actual composition, but I wanted to make this part decent first before I continue. Thx.

>clyp.it/zz3cwxyh
agree about the voice, I would personally pitch it down a bit

>clyp.it/mbxsmzdx
I like this, the piano sounds kinda boring, I would add some more reverb to it and maybe add an octave higher someone in there

>clyp.it/qrzjxpuq
I'd say its over bearing but sounds good if maybe the guitar was less overbearing. Sounds too up front

reminder:

clyp.it/01v0bfdo?token=81c96c899488e232b9546cb3b55da4b1

birthdays & autism

>clyp.it/o5d4w51p
not sure how i feel about those snaps in there

What do you mean? Can anybody give me some opinions on the overall piece and mix? I can't be objective anymore.

My first real track
clyp.it/uryzlnat
Thoughts?

I guess they were too irritating now that I've removed them.

clyp.it/xzio3aet

Honestly, I don't feel like I'm improving enough, anons. I've been at it for 2 years, but only a few weeks ago I've really sat down and started working on production more. I can't satisfy anyone at least a little bit and it doesn't feel good. :(

I can't even tell on what level I am at the moment.

vocal sample is off key

works pretty well that way, I think the harsh ringmodulator-ish overtones in the lead are making it hard to blend in, maybe tone that down a bit as well

Thanks for the feedback, yeah, my ears even hurt a little bit after listening to it for extended periods.

Bumperooney

Bumping

Also, here is my track.

clyp.it/pjc5nufz

I started music production a month so this will probably sound like cancer. Planning on adding guitar and vocals. I want to change that 808 percussion around 0:50 and actually make it into a synth but can't figure anything out.

muh wip

clyp.it/pnltoue2

>troubles cleaning up the mix and everything is always clashing with each other, no matter how much EQ, sidechaining, and panning I apply.

"mixing" starts in the song, and during the recording. If you've got frequencies clashing like that where you can't even fix it with surgical eq you need to work on the song arrangement. move shit up and down octaves, take out instruments, use a different mic etc etc. Also try using filters in your patches before eq.

ALSO you fuckers need to stop "fixing" clashing frequencies with panning. what's going to happen when someone plays your song on a mono source?

faith in strangers is better

I think the main draw of komplete kontrol is integration with komplete... there's prbably better in that price range bro

clyp.it/3ghbdryk

is this idea worth continuing?

>clyp.it/3ghbdryk
it should build up faster and have a drop with the vocals imo

i don't listen to that kind of music so idk really... i hope that's a working title though :^)

yeah, there'll be a UK garage sort of drop after the vocals, and yeah, it's wip

>ALSO you fuckers need to stop "fixing" clashing frequencies with panning. what's going to happen when someone plays your song on a mono source?
it's definitely not a good solution but let's be real here, that's rarely ever going to happen anyway

clyp.it/ppepqiba

Just did this ding dong, first thing I produced in almost a year, what do you guys thing ?

to get that crisp warm freshly baked sound

Kind of barren, you should sing over it user!

I wish you a merry turkeyb:^)

who's gettin their drank on wooooo

clyp.it/xb1eyx24

>ba dank dadank dadada dank dank

>kyky kyky kyky kykyky ky ky
>kyky kyky kyky kykyky kys yourself

I can't stop listening to it though, fug u

This is autismo, but so sweet

>tfw now I want to have my sound more acoustic, I'm sick of soulless electronic drums and synths and want to make some nice jazz, blues and rock.

>but shit is hard to reproduce and I can't play guitar (only piano)

What are the options?

Make your synths sound more organic

take a drink everytime you hear the lady sing!

I want guitar sounds though, it doesn't sound as good with plugins.

I dl-ed some Amplesound guitars or whatever they are called. It's cool but still not the same when you play it on a keyboard.

>find great studio monitors
>the price is great wtf
>realize that's the price for only a single monitor

Seriously, how retarded am I? Fucking hell, now I'll have to stick with some shitty speakers, might as well continue using just my nice headphones.

Or just buy a single one and produce everything in mono. :^)

yeah it sucks man. it makes it that much harder to hold-out and save for the pair. i would say buy one now and continue using your headphones while you save for the other (it's also really valuable to forcemix in mono because your mixing and FX chops have to be that much better) but by the time you have the cash for the second one some shit will happen and it'll be impossible for you to find a second one... like they'll release a upgraded version or the only ones you can find are beat-up used ones or something.

if you prefer to drink to something less... *ahem* urban... try this one

clyp.it/aso0h0hj

Log is an option in Izotope RX. It also has a lot of other cool features.

What's your budget bro.

sounds like user's looking for a realtime plugin he can use in his DAW. RX is one of the most glorious programs out there but won't solve his issue.

youtu.be/n6ot-qyC0O8

Not really fixed, but I was planning to buy something in a ~$300-400 range.

I want Yamaha HS7, they look fucking great to me and I've heard good things about them, they should be pretty good for their price.

Idk, maybe I'll wait, t b h I'm not a pro and have never even had external speakers (always worked with laptops or had speakers on monitors) so yeah. I'm currently just using headphones.

And not to mention that I should probably buy DAC too, top fug. This would now bring me to ~$200 per monitor... I don't know.

Mackie mr8mk3 is in that range, used.

They won't be as good as the legendary HR824, but might be good enough.

Yeah I like it a lot

here's an oldie i recently refound. doesn't go anywhere of course.

clyp.it/52pvkd2k

I know I'm gunna get shit on for asking but where's the best place for a beginner to start in terms of production and composing? Any recs in the form of books, mags or websites would be stellar

check the OP brah, there are lots of resources in those links. or there were anyway....

also youtube

>synth demo
>goy plays with effects on
Why is this allowed?

>soulless electronic drums and synths
you suck at programming and or the electronic music you're hearing sucks

if you play piano you can get some jazz going pretty easy dude

>I want guitar sounds though

nigger if you want to write rock learn to play guitar wtf. No plugin is going to come even close

thanks!

>I should probably buy DAC too
please don't bring this meme here

there's no point in chasing that 1% of your sound for 99% of people please that's literally the least important thing you can get

updated WIP

clyp.it/pyl2jute

Some of the very high end Kontakt Guitar libraries are pretty convincing. Example, the shreddage libraries for 'metal' gutiar, some of the prominy guitar libraries,

Prominy: youtube.com/watch?v=anl-Ln1OlPE

Shreddage: youtube.com/watch?v=iSv5bzVx4aA

Now, if you just want 'out of the box' with mininmal fuckery, check out the Orange Tree Samples libraries.

These are all rather large libraries. They have to be, to be pretty convincing you need a lot of articulations.

So, in review, if you want guitar without buying a guitar, KONTAKT libraries are the way to go.

I should also add that you should write for the limitations of the libraries.

prods rarely last the evening

feels bad

i'm here every night- i like giving advice in these threads :(

you're a trooper user. i've been a little absent from /prod/ lately but traditionally i've been around doing the same. compared to the rest of /mew/ these threads are full of great peeps and they're really worth having, imho

mostly... the dickheads that come in just to shit on peoples music make me very :( though

:)

:[

it'll be okay user.

Just keep at it! Your pace doesn't matter, so long as you keep moving!