So I finally listened to this album after getting into other instrumental hip hop...

So I finally listened to this album after getting into other instrumental hip hop, and for the life of me I just can't understand why people like it so much. My biggest problem is that all of the "songs" are only about a minute long. I like the music, but I never have time to fully enjoy them because the songs are over as quickly as they began.

Explain the appeal to me please Sup Forums, cause I feel like I might be missing something.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_ncSt5xC8Uk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

not much of a dilla fan, but i enjoy this song by him youtube.com/watch?v=_ncSt5xC8Uk

It's not 31 songs, it's one continuous mix, that's how you're supposed to hear it.

Same, I feel like these tracks could be truly great if they were more fully developed. Dilla's death has sealed the albums fate though.

I suppose, but SILY worked the same way and most of those tracks worked on their own.

hip hop + rockism

Well yeah, why do you think all the hipsters like this album so much?

I like it because it sounds cool and original

I think its so short, because as a producer he wants people to sample from it, and as a producer you rarely need all 3 minuets for a beat. This album was most likely mad for people to sample and remix and make it their own and let dilla put some tracks he had out for some extra money

it's a beat tape bro

I think there are two important things with this album. First, you need a good sound system, the stage is a big part of this album. Second, like others have said, is that it is meant to be played straight through.
This sounds fucking ridiculous, but I discovered this album without knowing anything about Dilla and cried 4 songs in because I was happy I found it. Devastated when I found out he was dead. Although it was at about 2am and I was pretty stoned.

It used to play on adult swim a lot

you should really read the 33 1/3 book over this album. The author goes extensively into the making of this album. He addresses the point on the songs being so short and says that you're not supposed to get attached to each song. Dilla made this album while in the hospital and each song is almost like a snippet. its unknown whether this was intentional or not.

>you need a good sound system
Dropped

Poorfags pls leave

I just mean decent headphones or speakers, car speakers. Honestly, don't bother through a tiny bluetooth speaker or ear buds.

OP donuts is my favorite album of all time. I've listened to it front to back countless times and the reason I'm able to keep coming back to it are two reasons: because the production is incredibly layered and because it's able to work an emotional response out of me every single time.

I honestly don't know how else to put it. None of donuts tracks stay past their welcome yet they all are able to capture my attention immediately. They all have a certain mournfulnostalgia to them that's hard to get anywhere else.

It's mostly because listening to this album is an emotional Rollercoaster that grabs you by your hand and pulls you into its sonic world. Really just drop your prejudices and expectations and allow the music to wash over you. Listening to this album should be cathartic.

OP here, I feel like there is emotion in these tracks, but they're just soooooo damn short. I have no time to appreciate any of them and find the emotional connection that you've found.

Get to know the tracks and you'll understand what to expect out of each sequence of the album. The emotional aspect of each song should come to you immediately after that. Donuts definitely seemed to jump around alot at first to me (especially from the perspective of a SILY or an endtroducing...) but one you get used to the pace the emotional build up of each song should lead into the next.

It's also one of the hidden concepts of the album, how each song seems to leave too soon just like Dilla left us too soon.

gotcha user. I think this one will just take a couple of listens. Thanks man.

Last thing, this album has cuts on it that's gonna make you wanna dance and you're gonna need to dance to those cuts or you're not gonna get the full experience

Atleast a head bob or something sheesh

As someone who listened to this album since it came out, it was a religious experience back in 2006. J Dilla was a renowned producer back before he died and is legendary now. He doesn't sound as impressive now specifically because he was so influential. This album is also mostly ambient. If you enjoy your music as singles this album probably isn't for you. I can't think of a time where I listened to only one track from this album. You may claim that is a failure, but I still go through the album every time I start it. It's just so easy to listen to.