Mfw when I didnt even know there was a new AC album

mfw when I didnt even know there was a new AC album

Listen to Golden Gal and move on

t. embryo

Why would you only listen to the shittiest song on the album?

I think it was pretty good desu

is it better than Centipede?

"no"

I like today supernatural more than any song on pw but I like pw more overall

i find them to be similar in quality but i like centipede so w/e

Well then, it's good that you weren't exposed to the hype and the people who didn't like it. Listen to it for yourself and form your own opinion

It's about the same for me. Both pretty good

Yes, if you approach it knowing that it's a pretty modest, fun project and not something epic

I know right? Why do people love that track so much? It feels like an unfinished demo. Same with Lying In The Grass.

that would be bagels in kiev

This album was like Animal Collective's change to make Centipede Hz make sense and totally save their reputation, and they blew it. Though I do think the songwriting was bad, Centipede Hz felt like the definition of a transitional record to me. It sounds like they're trying to shake off the 2000's and cleanse themselves of the whole Merriweather era so that they could work more freely, and though I think the writing on that album was just poor for the most part, it still could have made sense as a record if they followed it up right, and then we would have looked back on Centipede Hz like "Aha!" But now it's like, what was it leading to? Painting With? How is this any kind of development? Painting With only makes Centipede Hz sound more meaningless. Even if Centipede Hz was bad, it could have at least seemed ind of necessary had they followed up well, but they way I see it, Painting With completely destroyed their 2010's reputation. Even if they do put out an amazing or great record in like 2019, it will feel like it's in spite of the rest of their work from this decade. I just see Painting With as a complete failure on every level. It feels like a bullet to the brain. The 2010's are just fucked for Animal Collective the way I see it. No matter where Animal Collective go from here, Centipede Hz and Painting With will always just seem like a really regrettable point in their career. Either that, or they'll just continue to add to this regrettable phase. Painting With has just cast a whole new light on everything they've done since Keep, and instead of making it suddenly seem like it all meant something, it just makes it all sound like deterioration.

>change
chance

Let's be honest, all the songs were pretty bad. At their very best, they sound lifeless and dull. Panda sounds like he's just going through the motions with absolutely no effort to make you think otherwise, and I've never heard Avey sound this drained before.

Whenever I look at Avey Tare's face on the cover of Painting With, I imagine this Nintendo "game over" sort of sound effect with Avey Tare saying "oh fuck..."

That is super pretentious lol
The band don't owe you a narrative

How is Avey drained? His songs incorporate the whole idea of 'songs made for two singers' pretty well, and honestly it just sounds like the most he's enjoyed a project since MPP

>honestly it just sounds like the most he's enjoyed a project since MPP
I think as far as Avey's songs go, Painting With sounds kind of like how Merriweather might have sounded had tragedy struck them before the recording, not after. It sounds like he was in a good headspace while writing it, but on the album, he just sounds completely zapped. Panda just sound like he wasn't into it at all. Like there's just zero engagement there.
>The band don't owe you a narrative
How was that pretentious? It's just my feelings on their recent output. You think just an analysis of how you perceive a band's work is pretentious? What do you want, people to just not discuss things?

It's a solid 8.5/10

Better than Centipede

YAWN is better anyway.

Down There - 7.5/10
Tomboy - 6/10
Keep - 6/10
Centipede Hz - 5/10
Monkey Been to Burntown - 3/10
Enter the Slasher House - 7.5/10
Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper - 8/10
9:30 - 7/10
Painting With - 4.5/10
Sleep Cycle - 8.5/10

HELL yes

Half the songs are better but the energy is not as good, so it ends up being about the same.

Tbh the energy on CHz comes off as completely forced anyways

Don't forget to check out Deakin's Sleep Cycle if you missed that too.