Is this in the genre ''Easy Listening''?

Is this in the genre ''Easy Listening''?

Its my go to album if my parents are coming over, safe and perfect inoffensive, uninteresting background music for the long silences.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_Landscape
scaruffi.com/politics/usa08.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yea

Not really, no. One of their earlier surf albums is better background noise than Pet Sounds.

no, that's "soul" music

No. It's a bit too psychedelic and unconventional for easy listening. Easy Listening is shit like Billy Joel and Elton John.

Did you think this would be a good post

>psychedelic and unconventional

Where? When?

either listen to it and appreciate it or go away

>I'm talking bollocks and in denial

Compared to their earlier stuff it is.

Thats nice, but compared to anything else now its not.

It's not psychedelic but it is unconventional and experimental.

>it is unconventional and experimental.

Where? When?

Its 2016, not 1966

>i hate fun and have no soul

>im a douche

There's different levels, just becomes it's not the most extreme case of experimentation doesn't mean it's not. And it's psychedelic just not in the traditional sense.

what does that have to do with and how does that make it unconventional and experimental?

>asking a question with an obvious answer about an album that's been discussed ad nauseam

So you admit you were talking out your arse, okay

>Wilson's symphonic arrangements wove elaborate layers of vocal harmonies, coupled with sound effects and unusual instruments such as bicycle bells, buzzing organs, harpsichords, flutes, Electro-Theremin, trains, Hawaiian-sounding string instruments, Coca-Cola cans, and barking dogs, along with the more usual keyboards and guitars.
>For Pet Sounds, Wilson's goal was to create "the greatest rock album ever made" — a personalized work with no filler tracks.
>Pet Sounds is regarded by musicologists as an early concept album that advanced the field of music production, introducing non-standard harmonies and timbres, and incorporating elements of pop, jazz, exotica, classical, and the avant-garde. A heralding work of psychedelic rock, the album signaled an aesthetic trend within rock by transforming it from dance music into music that was made for listening to, elevating itself to the level of art rock. Author Bill Martin said that within Pet Sounds, the Beach Boys "brought expansions in harmony, instrumentation (and therefore timbre), duration, rhythm, and the use of recording technology. Of these elements, the first and last were the most important in clearing a pathway toward the development of progressive rock."

tl;dr you're a musical retard and should kill yourself

an album does not have to be omg noize omg screaming or whatever the hell to be experimental

>>Wilson's symphonic arrangements wove elaborate layers of vocal harmonies, coupled with sound effects and unusual instruments such as bicycle bells, buzzing organs, harpsichords, flutes, Electro-Theremin, trains, Hawaiian-sounding string instruments, Coca-Cola cans, and barking dogs, along with the more usual keyboards and guitars.

John Cage did that and more 20 years prior

>For Pet Sounds, Wilson's goal was to create "the greatest rock album ever made" — a personalized work with no filler tracks.

And failed

>Pet Sounds is regarded by musicologists as an early concept album that advanced the field of music production, introducing non-standard harmonies and timbres, and incorporating elements of pop, jazz, exotica, classical, and the avant-garde. A heralding work of psychedelic rock, the album signaled an aesthetic trend within rock by transforming it from dance music into music that was made for listening to, elevating itself to the level of art rock. Author Bill Martin said that within Pet Sounds, the Beach Boys "brought expansions in harmony, instrumentation (and therefore timbre), duration, rhythm, and the use of recording technology. Of these elements, the first and last were the most important in clearing a pathway toward the development of progressive rock."

looooooooool, its barbershop quintet pop/rock, what a load of shite

John Cage didn't write God Only Knows, senpai.

John Cage made vocal harmonies?

Literally just fucking kill yourself, you braindead cretin.

No, he didn't make mum-pop/rock ditties for weddings and school discos.

>looooooooool, its barbershop quintet pop/rock, what a load of shite
What a compelling counterargument you absolute fucking tosser

He did everything else there though so thats your whole argument? Acapellas and barbershop pop singing? Lmao.

no but you were

He didn't make one of the most critically acclaimed rock album of all time either.

>caring what Rolling Stone journalists and Italian pedos think

Back 2 Sup Forums

No, he did literally nothing listed there, I just pointed out the one so obvious that even someone who hasn't actually listened to John Cage (you) can realize the stupidity of your post.

I swear to god I've seen this exact same post before. Why?

>easy listening
not
>easy analyzing and gutting

OP wants replies

>symphonic arrangements wove elaborate layers of vocal harmonies, coupled with sound effects and unusual instruments such as bicycle bells, buzzing organs, harpsichords, flutes, Electro-Theremin, trains, Hawaiian-sounding string instruments, Coca-Cola cans, and barking dogs, along with the more usual keyboards and guitars.

>two variable-speed turntables, frequency recordings, muted piano, and cymbal, tin cans, conch shell, ratchet, bass drum, buzzers, water gong, metal wastebasket, lion's roar and amplified coil of wire, tin cans, muted gongs, audio frequency oscillators, variable speed turntables with frequency recordings and recordings of generator whines, amplified coil of wire, amplified marimbula (a Caribbean instrument similar to the African thumb piano), and electric buzzer

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_Landscape

Retard

According to biographer Jon Stebbins, "Brian defies any notion of genre safety".[93] The album's innovative soundscape incorporates elements of pop, jazz, classical, exotica, and avant-garde music, as Stebbins adds, "There isn't much rocking here, and even less rolling. Pet Sounds is at times futuristic, progressive, and experimental. ... there's no boogie, no woogie, and the only blues are in the themes and in Brian's voice."[94] In Pet Sounds, Wilson conceived of experimental arrangements[95] which combine conventional rock set-ups with various exotic instruments, producing new sounds with a rich texture reminiscent of symphonic works layered underneath meticulous vocal harmonics.

Musicologist Daniel Harrison has written: "In terms of the structure of the songs themselves, there is comparatively little advance from what Brian had already accomplished or shown himself capable of accomplishing. Most of the songs use unusual harmonic progressions and unexpected disruptions of hypermeter.

As author James Perone explains, Wilson's compositions include tempo changes, metrical ambiguity, and unusual tone colors that, culturally speaking, separates the album from any pop music of the era.

I made no ludicrous claims like you.

Is Scaruffi a pedo?

>Beach Boys fanboys opinions are relevant

lol

All Italian and French people are. It's not a big deal over there.

>Why are there age limits? why is it illegal to marry a 12-year old? Helen of Troy was 12. Juliet and Cleopatra were still teenagers when they became famous. Most heroines of classic novels and poems were underage by today's laws. Thomas Edison married a 16-year-old. Medical studies show that the best age for a woman to have children is between 15 and 25 (lowest chances of miscarriage, of birth defects and, last but not least, of the woman dying while giving birth); while the worst age is after the mid 30s. And the younger you are, the more likely you are to cement a real friendship with your children; the older you are, the more likely that the "generational gap" will hurt your children's psychology. Therefore it is much more natural to have a child at 16 than at 40.

scaruffi.com/politics/usa08.html

Everywhere and forever.

Read your own quotes you fucking faggot, there's literally no overlap other than Coke cans being similar to tin cans. Unlike you I've actually listened to his Imaginary Landscapes.

Plus this whole point you're trying to make is already fucking stupid because you're comparing art music to popular music. Popular music is always acclaimed for being the first to incorporate new elements of art music, and rightfully so.

Based as fuck. I completely agree.

I would call it soft rock

>a six man band
>quintet

awful bait

listen to let's go away for awhile plebe

what an idiot

people now have options and careers and dreams to pursue we are not a race where our only ambition is to reproduce. People make kids in their 30/40's when they have no more options and they're ready to settle down. If everybody were making kids at 15 we'll have a very non happy soicety. Also 15 yearo olds are stupid and would make shitty parents.

This sort of narcisstic behaviour angers me

Mom rock.

So same thing really.

Jesus, everybody who knows just a little bit of music history knows this album was experimental in a pop context, so mentioning John Cage is just a sign of awful trolling.

Was, it's not the 1960s anymore.

You're taking an absolutist approach that has no sense whatsoever in the study of music history.

I mean, you

You think Pet Sounds is experimental in a pop context still today 50 years later?

You think John Cage is experimental even though pre-historic music was already free and invalidates all avant-garde things that came millions of years later?

That's why your absolutist phallacy fails. You have to analyze music with a relativist approach. Pet Sounds is experimental because it broke ground in that context and that's it. Same thing with John Cage.

I'm not him, are you going to answer my question?

I do think it's still experimental. The majority of pop music nowadays is still conservative and don't really use theremin, mandolin, soda cans, glockenspiel, accordion, clarinet etc. in a whole album.

Although it doesn't really matter if it's STILL something or not; what matters is how it was at the time.

Goddamn, I'm linking it all wrong

Also, the progressive nature in some of the compositions in Pet Sounds deviates from normal pop structures that still prevails today.

>It's a bit too psychedelic and unconventional
Beach Boys fans are fucking insane. I love the album but this is an insane opinion to have.

It's not any different than any other sunshine pop from the era
There's a reason this wasn't very commercially successful even though it's extremely poppy
It isn't good.

Why? Obviously there are albums that are much more psychedelic and experimental but does that discredit Pet Sounds just because other music exists?

Not liking Pet Sounds should be a crime imo

Why? It's mediocre.

I never understood Sup Forums's obsession with Beach Boys. I like them but I find it weird Sup Forums seems to hate most 60s/70s rock and never even discusses other bands from that era other than Beach Boys.

Critical acclaim.

It's just so goddamn bland

lmaooooooo

u geek

In what universe is Pet Sounds unconventional? Even in 1966 it wasn't that far out compared to something like Tomorrow Never Knows or Zappa's Freak Out

Pet Sounds is one of the all time great albums but SMILE would have blown it away.

Now if you want to discuss true innovation......pic related.

>Its my go to album if my parents are coming over
>its perfectly safe
>uninteresting background music
>uninteresting

Found the best new meme to get everyones panties in a bunch. But OP you are dead wrong and you need to re-evaluate the Beach Boys.

so i guess there's also a reason this is now one of the most acclaimed albums of all time? or are there only reasons for things that support your claim