The Psychology of Sup Forums

The Sup Forums bias: The tendency to dislike or hold a negative opinion of a critically acclaimed album that, if released under a lesser known and/or more generally loved band would be praised as a masterpiece.

Example of this bias include: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

The Patrician Self Persuasion: The psychological effect in which claiming an artists' lesser known or "underrated" album as the artists' best makes one believe their preference is more sophisticated and superior than those who may claim an artist's more notable works as their own personal favorites.

Example of this effect: David Bowie - Station to Station

The Paradoxial Infatuation: This occurs when the hivemind of Sup Forums begins to hate an artist, album, song, etc. all together to fit the latest mindset. As a result, this creates a polarizing figure of the community, with both extremes (obsessive fanboys/fangirls vs. obsessive loathers) constantly posting threads about the figure in question justifying their stances

Example of this: Grimes.

If you can think of any others, please post.

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.sherdog.com/threads/goddess-warrior-grimes-dead-serious-about-wanting-to-train-for-the-ufc.3307097/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

But Station to Station is regularly rated amongst Bowie's best albums. If we wanted to be contrarian on the matter we would say something like Scary Monsters or Outside

I love dsotm, I'm glad that Sup Forums has yet to poison me.

Station to Station would be considered the median of Bowie's notable albums. When people think of Bowie, they think Ziggy Stardust, Diamond Dogs, Low, Heroes, etc. Basically the critically acclaimed albums that most of his best singles are on. Station to Station, compared to all of these, is his album where it's decent throughout but didn't reach as much exposure as the others.

Another example of this would be And Justice for All by Metallica. It's the album that came after their legendary thrash trio (Kill Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets), but of course saying one of these three would make you a pleb, so if you really wanna impress your friends, you say the median album is their best!

>Example of this: Grimes.
She's definitely a polarizing artist on Sup Forums. On other places she's way less controversial and mostly appreciated.

I see "Heroes" posted as often as Station to Station.

Your first point is correct. This is not limited to Sup Forums though, all music nerds, in fact all nerds of all varieties, share this tendency.
Your second point is just an extension of the first. And you picked an awful awful example for it, that shit got played at the Republican National Convention ffs.
I don't even know what the fuck you're talking about in the third point. And I don't know why the fuck Sup Forums is so interested in Grimes either, I don't know anyone in real life that gives a fuck about her.
You're not anywhere near as smart as you think you are.

What? Station to Station is Bowie's best album. His other albums are mediocre to trash.

baby's favourite albums not liked by /mu?

how long you spend writing this post, user? take you a couple of nights? got nothing going on now you're not at college? how's that psych 101 class?

fuck sake.
go back to trying so seem intelligent or insightful on reddit.

I spent 15 minutes on it. I don't go to college. Never had a psych 101 class.

>And I don't know why the fuck Sup Forums is so interested in Grimes either,
Listen to her music and you'll see. Start with Visions.

>I don't know anyone in real life that gives a fuck about her.
She's not that popular irl. That doesn't make her less good.

>The Patrician Self Persuasion: The psychological effect in which claiming an artists' lesser known or "underrated" album as the artists' best makes one believe their preference is more sophisticated and superior than those who may claim an artist's more notable works as their own personal favorites.

This effect is the only reason people buy MGMT's albums.

kek

Ask your dad if he knows what Station to Station is. Then ask him to name a Bowie album and he'll say "Space Oddity."

I love it when somebody reads a couple wikipedia articles and becomes a /psychoanalysis/

OMG this bitch again...

She seems to gravitate towards every single negative Grimes post on this board.

Furthermore proving the The Paradoxial Infatuation is a real thing.

What are you talking about, cunt?

>she's not that popular irl

We all want to fuck our mothers.

t.psych major

>Scary Monsters

The album considered the last 'classic Bowie'? Nah, that album is loved.

Popular? Yes. Well known? No.
forums.sherdog.com/threads/goddess-warrior-grimes-dead-serious-about-wanting-to-train-for-the-ufc.3307097/

Had a bit of fun stumbling upon and reading through this late last night (my favorite part is where it diverts for several pages into a BtVS vs AtS debate for absolutely no apparent reason.)

She is popular in music thats the point
Nobody on this earth is gonna know everything about hobbies they don't care about

leave the house for once pls.

>those stupid fucks with zero idea about good music commenting about grimes
s m h

How is preferring Station to Station contrarian? Have you even heard it? It's David Bowie at his peak!

Goddammit you suck

>She is popular in music thats the point
I repeat - popular? Yes. Well known? No. Don't let your time on /mu fool you.

I make a living in the classical/contemporary music industry, and even today at least 85% of the time I bring her up to my peers (let alone civilian music fans) the response I get is a blank stare.

People overestimate her popularity. Yes, she's popular here. But irl, not so much.

It's almost sad seeing Sup Forums trying to defend itself sometimes.

What if I seriously think AJFA is the best Metallica album without caring about what people say/think? Can I enjoy my own taste or is it too pleb?

I just tried that and he said Diamond Dogs. Is my Dad a poser?

it's biologically the most reasonable thing

No.