If everyone in your country learns English you're literally asking for the extinction of your native language

If everyone in your country learns English you're literally asking for the extinction of your native language

I give it ten years until Scandinavian countries require their classes be instructed in English.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhotshampa
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>22%
feels good man

that seems way too low, surely 70-80% of young people everywhere can hold a basic conversation?

Not everyone is young.

it dosn't matter for Norway because norwegian isn't the original language anyway

I honestly wouldn't even care. If it were up to me, the entire world would speak English. I'm not some literature major that I really give a shit about the nuances of languages and whatnot.

Yeah, but in the places on OPs map with high proficiency English has been taught for a long time so old people can speak reasonably well. I've seen quite a few US war veterans mentioning how surprised they were that most of the Dutch civilian population could communicate with them quite comfortably, for example (whereas this was next to impossible just over the border in Belgium/France).

The above isn't strictly true for the Nordic cunts though, here German was the main second language before and during WW2, but was quickly replaced with English in the post-war period (in the case of Sweden so that people would forget that we totes collaborated on a industrial scale 2bh). Still, having been taught extensively in schools since the mid 40s means most people alive today were taught.

This is true.

If it weren't for the immigrant problem I'd say the English problem is the biggest cultural problem in the world.

Can't wait til the US is Mexico and England Pakistan tbqh.

>I give it ten years until Scandinavian countries require their classes be instructed in English.

>TFW master level courses at university is required to be held in English right now

Yeah.. We are already there.

>learning a second/third language means you will stop using your mother tongue
Please, this is some next level projecting

Call for bullshit on Austria.
Their education system is not better than ours, they got even more immigrants and even so they are small they can get media in their own language thanks to us, not like Netherlands etc.

We're more likely to become New Poland.

without to good looking women

How can only 40% of France speak English on a conversational level when only 5% of French people online know English without asking me to speak in French because they don't understand shit?

Wouldn't the world be a better place if we only spoke one language?

... no

Nyet

Yes.
In war, no.

french pls

wouldnt you be bummed if danish wasnt spoken anymore ... ?

REGARDEZ CETTE MERDE ! Je te deteste, tu es un stupid Pierre, fromage mangeant putain coq coq

Have you ever heard Danish?
It sounds like shit.

Better than Arabic

The Danes can't really understand each other anymore because their speech impediment (usually known as "Danish") has gotten progressively worse over time, so in their case this might be a mercy.

I jest, but seriously, Danish kids learn to understand their parents measurably later than kids in the other Nordic countries.

>implying this is true

>Ireland
>only 94%
I don't believe you

Being in Denmark as a Swede is fucking surreal, it's probably the only circumstance where you can read every book, magazine and sign fluently but understand jack shit when someone speaks to you. Copenhagen's fine, I guess (at least I understand the dialect there), but I went to Padborg a few months ago and Jesus fucking christ.

Would you be bummed if you stopped speaking bulgarian is the true question? Probably not you ungrateful fyrom nigger. Admit you are bulgar or Belene.

niet, also fuck off were talking about other things itt

Spanish-speaking people are just stupid and lazy. Explains why the world is in the state that it is.

>hold a conversation in any language

>register girl at ICA said both "hi" and "have a nice weekend"
>creamed my pants
w-why won't they just leave me alone?

>34%
>Italy
HAHAHAHAHAHA, no. This chart is bullshit.

>A universal language isn't a good thing.
There's still a good many Irish speakers in the parts of the countryside.

ethnic enclaves in cities tend to foster a lack of linguistic integration

only about 70% of new york city residents can speak english

>I give it ten years until Scandinavian countries require their classes be instructed in English.
Most university courses in the Netherlands are already in English.
I'm scared.

wtf, u telling me theres like 3 mil people in NY that dont speak english? i dont believe u

Good only worthless cucks care about national identity, I am proud of who I am and my achievements, not something as stupid as nationality or skin color

Try going to chinatown, it's pretty hard to get around with only English 2bh.

The "benevolent" God has thought otherwise perhaps?

We just don't want to use english, it's too difficult to pronounce.

>dfn for intlegænt til å lær andre språk

>tfw I could understand that

Most people here already use plenty of English words and expressions in both formal and informal speech.

I couldn't be more apathetic about the inevitable demise of Scandinavian languages even if I tried.
The question is, will everyone still have Scandinavian accents when it happens? Let's ignore memes about African or Muslim people taking over for a second.
Would it be like India where people speak the language pretty fine but they have very heavy accents, or would it be like America where a new, unique accent is created?

What a terrible thing to ask.

Don't Indians speak Hindi?

>tfw the British empire is dead but it still spreads its language
Why are the British so amazing?

im guessing you'll keep a scandi accent, US accent was mixed from all over the place and it resulted in that
also they really simplified the language and thats not a bad thing, color for example is pronounced color not fuckin colour, brits

70-80% of people cannot hold basic in russian, never mind english

I think we'll get a kind of Creole language tbqh... Svengelska is already halfway there.

Never seen a movie in which an elderly Italian or Chinese (the most frecuent type, but can be of any other nationality) needs the translation of her husband, kids or grandkids to comunicate with any of the characters cause she does not speak English?

yeah but i thought those were like recent arrivals
pretty crazy, i dont feel comfortable visiting a country where i dont understand the language let alone STAYING

That does not mean they'll start switching to English.
Take for example the Iranian language; Farsi. It is filled with loan-words, but they still speak Farsi, and not Arabic in Iran.

kek

No it doesn't

It's called Persian, not Farsi.
Persians are very proud of who they are and dislike Arabs. Plus, the Iranian government has a clear policy on language, urging its people to not use foreign words.
Look at Alsace Lorraine for example. People became bilingual for practical reasons and now the German dialects are going extinct.

Why can't brits speak english?

I suppose that such people who dont learn the language are the elderly women who dont really work outside home, the ones which at most only left the home to stay in a neighbourhood which already has plenty of their own countrymen.

LMFAO STFU POTATOFUCKER

They speak urdu in londinistan

I imagine they can read words like restroom, elevator, exit, enter, ect, but my 5 year old nephew with a diagnosed speech impediment can hold a better conversation in english

>here German was the main second language before and during WW2

That was also the case here

>iraqis in idaho
EXILE THEM NOW REE

Because you know the meme he's translating

>It's called Persian, not Farsi.
Nigga the language is called Farsi.
>Plus, the Iranian government has a clear policy on language, urging its people to not use foreign words.
The Iranian theocracy WANTS its people to speak more Arabic, it's the language of Islam after all.

people are not gonna stop speaking their native language just because they know another.

BASED sheep island poster

Now vocaroo

>mfw in the country that invented english there are people who can't hold a conversation in english

does this graph include immigrants? if not, wtf i hate britain now?

mic dont work :(

>does this graph include immigrants?
Even if it doesn't, keep in mind that ~5% of people might simply have some kind of impediment or disability that prevents them from speaking the language even if they understand it.
Like if someone's voice box is damaged and they can't speak normally, or they are deaf-mute and have to use sign language, or if they're simply (literally) retarded to the degree where they can't understand anything.
If you take into account all those different impediments that could affect language, ~5% of the population being unable to speak the language sounds fine.

>Bhutan
Huh.

Indeed, similarily to how any country, no matter how developed, will "only" have a 99% literacy rate to account for retards and the like.

Probably because of these: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhotshampa

It's called Farsi in Persian, however for some reason we started calling it so, even if the original English name for it was Persian.

Then why the language reforms?
Sure, they want the people to understand Arabic, but not to mix it with their Persian.

Probably. I've seen Bhutan in more than a few sources for refugee data and couldn't quite figure it out just by looking at the country. It looks like a pretty okay place.

Well, except for the ones that were thrown out, I suppose.

But 5% though? I think Welshmen play a larger role. Besides, there's clearly a 'greater then' sign (>) next to it.

Are u saying your sons will be stupid and lazy?

Cuck.

>34%
I'm sure it's lower, they probably asked the young people only, and Italy is an old country

Every person should like every other person because they speak the same language?

Thats not how it works

Here too, buuut and here is the catcher:

Most people who use a deluge of anglicisms uses them because they think they are "cool" and often cannot actually even speak English. It is not the fluent speakers of English who are killing our language, those usually separate the languages enough in their head.

I wish it was French instead of English because reasons.

New York has been that way for about a century and a half.
First it was the Dutch, then the Germans, then the Irish, then the Italians, then the Chinese, ect

It's the Welsh's fault

Don't feel bad. I'm from there, and many Danes don't understand what I'm saying if I speak with a dialect.

I never get the meme about it sounding ugly, it just sounds more German than the other Scandi languages. Then again, I like the Danish of West Slavic languages (Polish).

This, and in former Yugoslavia, everybody but Macedonians (and they know it as a second language) speak Serbo-croatian natively. We all know what a paradise former Yugoslavia was in the last 20 years.

Sry, meant to quote you, not myself.

*Macedonia and Slovenia.

This is already the case for most of the stuff in college here. A fair share of learning materials and lectures are held in English. It's cheaper and more extensive than Swedish alternatives. It's required to have good grades in English for pretty much anything above high school levels anyway.

Fun fact though. Back when I was in high school we actually had a school wide survey on whether you'd be ok with phasing out Swedish as our native language and replacing it with English and I believe it ended something like 70% being fine with the idea.

>Wouldn't the world be a better place if we only spoke one language?
Because unifying and ultimately borrowing more money solves everything.

Swedes are the only ones that can speak with a perfect accent, even if english isn't there native language.

A spaniard in Portugal will have the exact same feeling

>speak with a perfect accent
What does that even mean?

Shit it was meant for :

Btw, the problem with "utopian" opinions of the "we should all speak one language" type is that languages NEVER stay the same. This does not change in the age of mass media, in fact the Great Wowel Shift happened in English just as theater and printing press were taking off. People do not all speak in the Hollywood accent, despite hearing it from movies. In short, if you had English kill all other languages (like Latin did with mainland Celtic languages btw), after a few centuries, there would be no English anymore. There would be a family of wildly differing "Anglic" languages that all originated from English, but were not English any more than Portuguese is Latin.

I thought a southie of all people would know Indians speak Hindi AND English. It would have been English alone, but Pakistan seceded, so India has two official languages: Hindi, the language of Hindus and English, the international lingua franca. Both are taught throughout the country and have equal status.

5% of Indians speak English as a native language, but 30% speak it fluently.