Preoccupations

For those who've heard this, what do you think?

I've missed most of the discussion, and I find this album really growing on me. Memory really pisses me off though because it gets really good then ends in a pointless drone.

I'm a big fan. Agreed re: Memory and that seems to be the consensus. 4-7 mins of that track is godly though.

>4-7 mins of that track is godly though.
Yeah that's exactly the bit I'm talking about. uggh why couldn't they have just made that bit go longer.

Also fever is pretty dope.

tracks 1-5 as a whole are near-perfect if not for the outro too. very frustrating.

Yeah I mean most of the album is damn near perfect, though I'm not sure if it will age well. Probably more accessible than Viet Cong.

Some really good tracks, some pointless ones that can only be described as filler, specifically those two 1 minute tracks (Sense and Forbidden) and that pointless ambient outro to Memory

i agree, fever is probably in their top five tracks, but i'd say their overall sound was better when they were just aping deceit

christ their vocals are so generic

Zodiac is truly the standout, Anxiety is a good opening, but as whole, the "LP" doesn't seem to be like it. But well, Viet Cong s/t also left that impression to me, so maybe it's their style?

Anyway I can agree that those two short tracks are not by means necessary.

Check em

Only listened to it once so far but on first listen the vocals are severely worse than previous albums and the songs sounded very bland but I'm gonna see what I think second time

Viet Cong is much much better, too much vocals on this one

Everyone seems to agree (rightfully so) that there are too many vocals and they're worse than they were on Viet Cong. I'm the opposite of you OP, in that I really like the drone at the end of Memory but hate everything before it. Doesn't even come close to how good Death is. I liked the intro to Degraded as well and Fever is pretty cool. That's about it. They really dropped the ball on this one.

>recollections of a nightmare
>so cryptic and incomprehensible
>encompassing

the lyrics make me want to puke
they couldn't even be arsed to describe the 'nightmare' so they threw in some multisyllabic words to make it interesting

Its so obvious Pat was the real lyrical genius behind public strain, these fellas can't write a decent hook to save their life

The lyrics are sometimes too outwardly bad to take the whole song seriously. Good album though.

the outro is just an intermission.
Personally I think it fits well into the album and acts as a change of pace so you arent listening to 40 minutes of pure post punk.

But I like ambient / drone in general, so I think it boils down to personal taste

this

Even though I like preoccupations Public Strain still towers over everything else these guys have ever done.

The album is great. I loved every single track, and I don't think the album could've ended better. Fever is fucking dope.

I really loved the album, the only thing that I wish they did was expand Forbidden to a full song instead of having it fade out when the guitars come in.

(I'm )

Well, I agree with you, and at the same time I don't.

>"they threw in some multisyllabic words to make it interesting"

Yep, I agree with you. But I love multisyllabic words in songs, so...

VIET CONG

Fuck yeah, I hated that fade out.

stimulation is amazing