Australia gets fined for not voting

>australia gets fined for not voting
What is this, China? OH WAIT

you deserve this (you)

We do too, but it's negligible, less than 1 dollar.

A monetary fee for not casting a ballot?

Greatest ally

Nice

voting?

kek

The problem is not the fine, though. It's your life that they fuck up. You can't get a job if you skip elections.

Yeah it's pretty rough. I could've bought 68 kinder surprises with that money ;__;

Isn't that like 1% of brazil's GDP?

:(

Ha ha. Funny. Where's your show at? I'd like to watch it.

On your coconut?

Yeah, I got internet connection on my tree now. My coconut is online and ready.

Did you steal those things?

Nah, my American friend brought them here when he came to visit, along with his AR-15 he bought on Walmart to shoot people at his university. Normal things Americans enjoy doing.

>china
>vote

fucking annihilated

>americans get fined for not wearing shoes in bed

Well you just have to get your name ticked off and then draw a dick on the ballot. And the fine is small, although they add up over subsequent elections I think.

I like it. It means they have to pander to everyone, not just to crazy christians and urban minorities etc.

what if you hate all the candidates? will they let you cast a none of the above option?

weak

Deface the ballot. Just draw an X through it or something.

>Be american
>Don't vote

Is this why your countrt is a shithole?

All stupidity and annoying bullshit aside. I wish we got fined. 1 penny would be intelligent.

You can go the voting booth and tell them you dont wish to vote and they mark you off. The point of compolsury is to combat laziness and apathy which are the cancers of democracy

oughta pay a good $500 if you don't vote, fucking commies.

try $20

It cost me $150 last time I forgot

is that because you've done it before/have other fines from not voting you haven't paid? I'm sure it's a small fine the first time, not sure how it works after that though.

Only if you sign up for it in the first place.
Don't sign up? Nothing happens.

No it's always around $150 but they cut it in half if you pay it in a month

Ah, that's reasonable. Do you guys require any sort of ID for registration to make sure it's you like we do?

That's not true though.
>Voting is compulsory in Australia. Failure to vote at a federal election without a valid and sufficient reason is an offence under section 245 of the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918. You are required to pay the $20 penalty by Monday 17 October 2016.
Pretty sure the fine is always $20 for first time non-voters and $50 if you've done it before. What you must have done is repeatedly not paid the fine so the amount increased or something.

You register once with the Australian Electoral Commission when you're 17/18 and you're in for life. And yes I think you do need ID etc.

it accumulates, though i think they change it often and it might be different depending on state. You'll obviously get let off if you submit an actual reason for not doing it.

No it was $150 and it was a state election first time. QLD

>belgium

also no you don't need ID when you vote on the day, they just ask you your name and if you've voted in this election before already, then cross your name off the list of voters who live in the electorate.

In our elections you vote for the local representative of parliament (of which there will be up to like 6 - 10 candidates) and the senate, which has dozens of candidates and is a state-wide poll (each state has a certain amount of senators).

Choice one: wrinkled bridge troll
Choice two: rotting tangerine
Fuck this election

Sounds decent enough. Do your States get an equal amount of Senators like the US does? And I take it that you vote for people like in the US rather than parties like I believe most other Westminster systems.

Maybe QLD is just retarded then, wouldn't be the first time.

pic related. Really great system you guys have got there.

You dont have to vote for a canidate, you just have to go to the polling booth and cast a non vote

Just checked it was $117 for not voting in the city council election. Would have been half that amount if it was paid within a month

The idea is to not skew results.

You'll understand once Shillary gets elected.

>Sounds decent enough. Do your States get an equal amount of Senators like the US does?
Pretty much. Northern Territory and Australian Capital Territory get less though.
>The Senate is one of the two houses of the Australian Federal Parliament. It consists of 76 senators, twelve from each of the six states and two from each of the mainland territories.

>And I take it that you vote for people like in the US rather than parties like I believe most other Westminster systems.
It depends. Our system is a bit complicated.

In the lower house (house of representatives) you have a card that has the names of the candidates and their parties under them. You label them from 1 - 8 (or however many candidates there are) in order of preference. If no candidate gets over 50% of 1st preference votes, then preferences start to get counted. So yeah we vote for individuals but parties play a huge role.

In the upper house (senate) there is a very large ballot box with dozens and dozens of candidates. At the top of the ballot you can just vote 1 - 6 for the parties that you want to vote for in the senate, and if they don't get in then your vote goes to whoever they preferenced with complicated deals. Or you can vote below the line and fill out 1 - 150 (or however many candidates there are), voting for each individual candidate in order of preference.

I fucking hate local elections. I usually know nothing about them and don't give a shit. I probably will just draw dicks on local ballots in the future.

>Be American
>Vote
>It doesn't actually matter because the electoral college chooses president and they don't even have to listen to the votes of their constituents.

>So yeah we vote for individuals but parties play a huge role.
Same here, in many areas your success is determined by whether a D or an R follows your name.

>they don't even have to listen to the votes of their constituents.
They actually do in the laws of most States, although then again there are other ways to rig an election.

>have a democracy
>dont even show up to vote
no wonder your country is collapsing

>be American
>can vote
>only have meme candidates

Man my mum just called them up and got it cancelled a few times. "Ah he's sick, leave him alone"

North Island on suicide watch

What the fuck I didn't know it was compulsory to here.
>taking away voting rights of military members
What could possibly go wrong.

DUDE

CHINKS

LMAO

Did you pay your voting fine, by any means?

You can't get a public job, private employers don't need to worry about that shit.

that's pretty fucked up

You mean it's not a good idea to tax people for not voting?

>Compulsory countries
>100% guaranteed democracy

>Non-compulsory countries
>50% turnout, pseudo-democracy

Non-voters are sheeple. They deserve a dictatorship and a helicopter drop.

A fine is a very different thing to barring people from being a public servant. I agree with the fines.

thanks

It doesn't matter anyway, the Jews control everything already.

>be German
>can vote
>only have cucked candidates and a nationalist meme party
wew

you can vote third party or write in you know

>he thinks compulsory voting is a bad idea

YOU LITERALLY CANNOT FABRICATE THIS SCENARIO

>be amerishart
>get shot for filming in the poling station

Voting should be compulsory between the ages of 18 and 25. That way you get in the habit, but if truly you don't give a fuck you won't keep it up.

Just cast a blank ballot. Or more traditionally, draw a penis on it.

Vote for a third party to help them achieve the apparently magical 5%

Have you never voted before?

do the abos get forced to vote?

do they have to lure the noongas in with gas and petrol?

>when someone from a non-democracy talks about voting

Stop bullying me RIGHT NOW

Hahaa, the government here votes on my behalf and If I turn up I am imprisoned

>The continent of Australia

Was expecting that pasta

The golden kek image is really being overused itt

golden_kek.png

>mfw that's how much i sold my vote last election

>Netherlands
>a LAND named after one's NETHER regions

CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP

>friend