Modest Mouse

Modest Mouse
Pavement
Built to Spill
The Halo Benders
Guided by Voices

What is it about this brand of indie rock thats so infectious and irresistibly good?

its hip, fun and has well disguised pop hooks. Truly impossible to hate

never heard any of these bands, which one should i listen to first and what album?

Built to Spill - Keep it Like a Secret
Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West
Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand
Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

in that order

Pavement- Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

Most accessible album from that group

Pavement-Crooked rain crooked rain

catchy 90s tunes, cool aesthetic, sometimes they let loose and display good musicianship. (especially Built to Spill)

Bee Thousands and There's Nothing Wrong With Love are just as accessible imo. I'd actually recommend the latter for Built to Spill.

Gotten pretty deep into all of these discographies except the halo benders. Where to start?

>never heard any of these bands
Lurk more you fucking child

Built to Spill lay great plans but they don't execute them with the awkward grace of Pavement (pvmnt>BtS)

from best to worst I see

pavement comes off as so pretentious and boring to me. Like "look we're not trying, we're just cool outcast kids man". They try so hard to not to not try very hard, if that makes sense. Honestly it is cringe worthy. Like holy shit range life is horrid, the guy cant sing, but i understand that is like part of the gimmick. which is why I hate them

Doug is just a better guitarist than anyone mentioned in this thread is what I meant.

maybe im just not into that kind of music bud

Yo La Tengo > all of these

I think he sings great. They really do not try hard to not try hard. You can't have lsitened to much of them

>cant sing
hwhat

Yo La Tengo>Beat Happening>the rest

you forgot Sebadoh tbqh

Sebadoh are shit. Barlow peaked on the very first song he wrote

>implying III and Bakesale aren't god-tier

i actually don't like any of these bands, not out of spite or anything, the aesthetic really doesn't appeal to me i guess

That might be fair. I've heard crooked rain and slanted and enchanted only a few times each. There's like maybe one or two songs off each album I can listen through comfortably. Idk guess it ain't for me

Does Doug have hair in that pic? It's making me really uncomfortable

Which songs? Maybe I could rec you some like them or an album that you might like better. It might not just be for you though , like you said. You did say you hated them though, tryna remedy that

>The Halo Benders
shit i forgot about that band. thanks.

pavement - slanted and enchanted

noise pop is best pop

>doesnt even mention the microphones
Senpai

idk man, probably just dont care enough desu. I appreciate it though.

Listen to pavement, theyre the best band of the 90's. Start off with crooked rain and then either go to brighten the corners or to slanted and enchanted

Not the same style really

you just completely missed the point of what pavement are trying to do. they're not trying to not try hard. maybe listen to brighten the corners if you haven't heard it yet

Alright, that's cool.

God Don't Make no Junk is greart