Diy black metal

help mu. how do i make one man black metal? i'm a decent musician. i know i don't lack the technical skills. i just always get stumped when it comes to writing original compositions. i'm also a lazy shithead who can never find the motivation to write. any tips to help with inspiration or motivation?

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/2rjskzyo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Burn down a church

You're a retard with a shitty attitude. Work on that first. Good luck.

i know this, but that hasn't stopped any other black metal musician in the past

There's a thread like this about writing folk in the catalog:
The way I write music is trying to hear something in my head. If I think something is shit then I try and think of a way to make it better or I move on. That way instead of playing and falling into the same habits I have a complete idea before I even touch an instrument. Also a lot of times try to find those notes I hear on my instrument and end up making mistakes which sound better than the thing I thought of.

Don't expect to just get it right away but I think that's the point. It's supposed to be a constant battle with yourself to come up with something that's original and you yourself enjoy. That's also why the happy accidents are rewarding because they happen purely by chance and without you trying.

Sometimes an idea will come to you at a random time in a random place. For me, I get a lot of really cool ideas in the shower or while mowing the lawn and try to keep humming them until I'm done. It's not just so I don't forget the idea but so I know if that's what I really think the melody/riff/rhythm should go.

I should say before you try this that you should not be that upset with something that sounds ripped off from someone else. There are a lot of ways to make something your own, whether it's lyrics/adding harmonies/changing rhythms up. People have been making songs with the same fucking chords for years and no one says shit. Just recognize what you don't want to copy exactly and find ways to expand upon it rather than directly take it.

way ahead of you f a m

Go back in time and instead of focusing on working on your "technical skills" work on actually writing good music.

Also about inspiration,

. If you try and write based off a book or an art that's fine, but don't specifically sit down and delve into something with the intention of being inspired. I don't find it reliable and you're forcing it rather than just enjoying the thing you're looking at. That's why I prefer putting in work and using my brain to figure out the next step in the song. Working hard on something for a long time until it's beautiful is just as satisfying as a beautiful idea that comes to you by chance.

wow thanks so much for the actual genuine response man. this is actually very encouraging. one of the biggest problems i keep running into is that i'll think that i've come up with a killer riff, only to realize that i've totally pinched it from another song. it's nice to hear i'm not the only one with this problem.

i'm definitely going to go lurk in that folk thread too, seeing that there's a pretty big overlap between the two genres

Yea, I alway end up thinking of something either in the middle of the day out on the prowl, or just when I wake up, and I'm not able to play to figure it out. So I always forget it. S A D B O I S.

I've spent the last two years of my life looking for a way to write music reliably. I realized that everything I had written, although it may not have been a complete ripoff, was still a regurgitation of the things I listened to. It frustrated me every single day and I felt like an idiot for not being able to do something that many other people could do. To be honest, I don't think I've found my sound yet (and I don't think I will for a long while) but I have an idea of how to start the first step.

Listen to a wide variety of music, and also like an above poster said, even if you rip something off accidentaly (It happens with bands that put out albums), you can still change the tone, notes, etc to make it yours. Also Phil Anselmo said (I know he's cancer, but the makes a good point) to rip off all the bands that you enjoy so that you make something unique. Everything you'll make is based off of something else, something can't come from nothing. Just embrace that and your good.

thanks again dude. i'd very much like to hear your music if you have any that you'd be willing to share.

>Working hard on something for a long time until it's beautiful is just as satisfying as a beautiful idea that comes to you by chance
cool, i'll definitely keep this in mind. sometimes when i'm looking for inspiration from other art i feel like ideas should be coming to me, but as you said, that's forcing it and i guess inspiration is a much more random occurrence than that.

i know this feel man. i wish i could read/write sheet music so that i could just write the ideas down that come to me. sadly, i've always been terrible at the visual side of theory

but you can't write good music without sufficient technical skills. i think any musician should learn how to play their instrument first, before they start writing music

Well yea, every musician knows some theory, just maybe not advanced. And you can learn enough on your own without a teacher, look at Chuck Schuldeiner, he is completely self taught, and made up his own scales and stuff.
Also I meant that I didn't have an opportunity to play, not that I can't, don't know treble clef though (I only know bass clef because of trombone), I just figure stuff out by ear, and record it on my phone or something quickly so I won't forget it.
Glad you likey man, I don't have any full tracks recorded, as I don't have a computer of my own to record on and am not able to play drums (I will one day), so I I just have some basic riffs, generic song ideas, or whatever you want to call it on my phone so I don't forget. I also need to get back on playing though to be honest...

if anyone cares, here's what you guys inspired me to get done tonight. it's a segment from the outro to a piece that i've been working on for a while. it's just a build on one progression, and it's a very rough draft, but i'm just glad that i at least got all of the parts written and recorded so i remember them.
(i know it's a lot happier than most black metal, but the rest of the piece is much darker)

clyp.it/2rjskzyo

>And you can learn enough on your own without a teacher
yeah i'm self taught too. i've never heard of chuck schuldeiner though, i'll have to check him out for more inspiration. making up your own scales sounds insane haha

Dude this is seriously amazing, I really hope you do well. I actually really like this style of more upbeat black metal, will there be a name to look out for or something?
Yea, he's the guitarist of Death, and I know Marty Friedman of Megadeth talked about doing something similar, he said it was just finding notes that sounded good together.

>Yea, he's the guitarist of Death
oh shit i definitely know death i just had no idea that was his name. that's awesome, i just gained a ton of respect for them.

anyways thanks for the nice feedback and well wishes man! i'm super glad you dig it. as far as a name to look out for, i haven't really thought that far a head yet. i'm getting closer to finishing the full composition for the release, but i have a feeling it will be a while before i have the whole thing recorded and mixed to my liking. thanks again though. good luck with your musical endeavors as well

Just sit down and completely analyze every part one at a time

Can you play blast beats without losing the tempo, with some consistency at decent speed?? Can you tremolo picking? Can you shriek/growl/scream??? Do you know bout diminished scales and the satans interval??

1. Play the drums doing blast beats and double pedalling the bass drum for about 6 minutes or more. Use a shitty headset microphone to record it.
2. Play yer guitars with a shitty pedal, distorted as fuck, run it through the shittiest speakers you have and mic where the highs and distortion pierce the most. Play alternating between chug chug riffs, dissonant atmosferic chords and tremolo picking using some minor scales with the fifth altered or suddenly altering some tone by one fret, playing lots of diminished and augmented fifth intervals. Play the bass just following it.
3. Play some keyboard or pad just to put the dark atmosphere.
4. Shriek into the mic about satan, winter or aryan/viking gods, wolfs, forest, snow all that shit.
5. Go into the woods with corpse paint and take a shitty photo with bad lighting, print only using black and white color (no grey shades).

There you have it.

>Can you play blast beats without losing the tempo
unfortunately not. the one necessary black metal instrument that i'm absolutely garbage at is the drums. i've been planning on trying to program them, but all of my rough drafts have sounded pretty shitty, so i'm either going to have to practice programming drums a lot, or find someone to drum for me.

but as for your other questions, yes haha

those steps seem pretty accurate, but w2c mic where the highs and distortion pierce the most? i've just been using my built in laptop mic to record shitty first drafts so i don't forget what i'm working on.

Normally at the dead center of the speaker. Then move the mic from the center just tonget the right amount of treble and speaker distortion.

cool thanks. i actually meant where can i buy a good (shitty) mic that will be good for picking up the highs? last year i bought a random cheap one off amazon and it ended up breaking like the day of haha

accept satan as your one true savior

get your iphone
record fast random guitar playing
fast drumming
screechy screaming

layer all those things and record it onto a casette.
burn down a church and murder someone while leaving a copy of your mixtape in both places

enjoy being a trve cvlt blvkk mvtvl lvgvnd

>random guitar playing
nice try but this is bullshit