youtube.com/watch?v=ptffBdPClwU
youtube.com/watch?v=KPXWKO-EBgc
youtu.be/i2uuRG9l1JA?t=476
youtube.com/watch?v=XnolyvilwNw
youtube.com/watch?v=cl25ikVEPB4
youtube.com/watch?v=0qjpOLj7WSY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I never liked Echoes

as far as long proggy pink floyd songs go, ive always prefer Shine On because part 8 of that is the best thing theyve ever done

listen to it, its like funk, new age, rock, psych, prog, art, electronic etc all wrapped together

youtube.com/watch?v=ptffBdPClwU

And that's why WYWH is the best Pink Floyd album. It also has that lounge feel that bands like Bark Psychosis meddled in. Part 9 is my favourite though.

>guitar arpeggios with effects pedals
das it

I like echoes but I agree WYWH is their best album

Echoes is cool because of the mysterious strange feel in the beginning and then it goes into the middle of the song with the weird sounds and interesting atmosphere with the wind and stuff

then it just ends pretty strong i think because of the heavy sounds guitars

I love shine on you crazy diamond but I think Meddle sounds more grand than WYWH for some reason

meddle is just a pleb version of Shine One

meddle even has a "funky" part like funky dung from the Atom heart Mother suite, except both of those are shit compared to Shine On part 8

i mean echoes not the album meddle

I don't know about "Best album," as Roger suffered lyrically on most of the record, but Shine On is a very well-made track, and I love their idea to bookend the album with it. Storm did a very nice job with the album art as well.

I personally prefer Atom Heart Mother as an album, as each member contributes to the writing more equally, and it's just so comfy throughout.

atom heart mother as a whole is lame and forgettable

Oh boy here we go

It may be but I'm fine with that

the only good part of the suite is funky dung and you know it, everything else is gimmicky and shit

david gilmours fat old sun isnt even that great he got much better when he wrote breathe

im kinda of biased because i took LSD for the first time and heart Atom Heart Mother, but i got paranoid and freaked out on Summer 68 because of the line "how do you feel?" i thought he was talking to me and i panicked kinda lame i know

i appreciate that you are not a tool about me not saying echoes is not the greatest song of all time like most pleb pink floyd fans, im going to listen to echoes right now

about me saying*

i suck at typing today, my bad ignore my retardation, i have no excuse

(me)
relating to the thread topic: Do you mean albums you took way too long to actually get yourself to listen to? If so, pic related. I love its sound: how there's just chaotic sound everywhere, but it keeps a melody. I assume that's what most shoegaze/dream pop is like. I've also listened to Loveless, but didn't quite enjoy it as much as Ceres and Calypso.

dude I really don't care. Opinions and shit, you know?

music is objective, sorry to break it to you

you can like whatever you want, but that doesnt mean its better than WYWH their strongest and most technically profound work. (debatlable if you want to say Dark Side, but WYWH is more pinned down and refined in my opinion, and most would agree)

whatever you like, m8. Not trying to start yet another argument on "Best Pink Floyd album." I just prefer Atom Heart Mother and you prefer Wish You Were Here. I'm not going to talk shit on WYWH, it's a great album, but just because somebody says it's their best record doesn't mean that I have to agree.

It's fine, you don't have to but I pretty much love all pink floyd so it's hard to get angry about that

Basically I just love how Meddle starts off really simple with the bass and a delay effect on on of these days and ends with a 20 minute large sounding song

>begins with wind howling
>ends with ascending chorus
chills

ITT: fuckheads arguing about their favorite PF album like they're the Robert Christgau of spacey prog.

it took me forever to listen to pic related, but it's now one of my favorite albums hands down

not trying to start an argument either, i can appreciate that atom heart mother was a stepping stone to much better pink floyd material

you can like it more if you want, im not stalin or anything, i just dont know why you would though since its not as interesting sonically (they were still working out the kinks in their presentation and overall sound at that point)

YES

Not sure I'm understanding da thread, but I just listened to dis for the first time today, I liked it but there was a lot of bullshit on it. Like the rapping was great, I dug the production, but it just kinda sat on a lot of songs for way too long

>prefer Atom Heart Mother as an album, as each member contributes to the writing more equally
Yes, they were all equally left out. The band admits that Atom Heart Mother was mostly made by the producers and that that's why they don't like it.

Have you heard David Gilmour's Echoes acoustic version? They only play the second half, but it sounds very nice (though Guy fucks up a bit at the beginning).

youtube.com/watch?v=KPXWKO-EBgc

you assume huh. Funny, that's how shoegaze SHOUD work, but rarely does. In practice it's a pretty bad genre with some amazing gems.

Never thought George could follow up with something good after All Things Must Pass, but I must say I'm impressed. Be Here Now is the only weak track and does not benefit from repeated listens, but this is great record.

well the producers did a damn good job imo

I havent but I'm gonna listen to it right now

Shine On You Crazy Diamond is the definition of WANK.

seriously? what about it is so good to you? im curious
ill agree

while i think part 8 of Shine On is one of my favorite pink floyd moments/songs, i find their long suites to be really boring

I assumed, since The Beach Boys sort of tailored off into shit after Love You, that Brian Wilson's solo work would be even worse. But I'm digging his albums (self-titled, SMiLE, this one). You probably have to be a fan to enjoy them though.

That part around 4 minutes is so fucking melodic and satisfying sounding

why do you guys never mention this?

david gilmour is one of the few people who get physically older, yet to me still feels like a young man because of his love for music

>ive always prefer Shine On because part 8 of that is the best thing theyve ever done

I prefer Shine On as well, but Part 8 is kind of just a rehash of Any Colour You Like

Yeah, I love his explanation for how he came up with shine on you crazy diamond

any colour you like is the best thing they ever made, so anything else would seem like a rehash

I love Echoes, its helps me sleep

>Someone asked to play the suite again for Barrett and he said a second playback was not needed when they had just heard it. When asked what he thought of the song, Barrett said it sounded a "bit old".

even schizoid burn out barrett knew then how ahead of his time interstellar overdrive was compared to waters/gilmours attempt to recreate it

I really like the softness throughout. It's the only Pink Floyd record where Rick's contribution is the harshest, and Rick's a pretty mellow songwriter in general.
Though I admit that the suite's sound is mostly contributed to the orchestra, the melody is great and each of the members' solos within the piece are cool and have a nice groove (especially during Funky Dung). I think it's a nice way to start off the album: with a bang, but a soft, pleasant bang.
If is probably one of Roger's worst written tracks, but his soft voice combined with the guitar is still very sweet to the ear
Summer '68 is Rick's second-best track (behind Remember a Day). Slightly jarring at times, but his piano and the orchestra really compliment each other on the track. Catchy melody and refrain.
Fat Old Sun is an ode to comfy summer goodness. I can imagine laying in the warm summer sun and smelling the freshly-mown grassy. Blissful af. David Gilmour has done better, but it's his first really great track written by himself. It's a shame they didn't add it on the Echoes comp album, I read somewhere that David wanted it on there.
P sure Nick was credited for the most part for Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast, but I really love Rick's happy piano playing during the more musical parts of the track. I love the water dripping sound at the end, and think it's one of the most satisfying endings to a Pink Floyd record. I've also read that on the vinyl pressing, the water would keep dripping until you stopped the record.

tl;dr: comfy af

atom heart mother was just an attempt to outdo Sgt Pepper, even with the run out groove at the end that continues forever

i mean if you like the baroque stuff thats cool, but i think most people including myself agree their more electronic new age stuff is more interesting

something you might find interesting

there are some who grow magic mushrooms from cow shit

pink floyd is a psychedelic rock/prog rock band

i know the explanation was that the photo of the cow was random and on the spot, which is ironic because the band wanted to move away from the psychedelic space rock image they have and do more progressive material, so they wanted something completely random that wouldnt be associated with space or drugs, but the cow ended up being very trippy and related to psychedelic drugs anyway! so i dont buy that story from hipgnosis that it was random, but thats just my opinion

theres even a section from the main suite called "funky dung" which is a sort of funk blues psych rock instrumental.

roger waters had worked on a soundtrack to "music from the body" and the song titles have to do with bodily functions, mind your throats, reemergence, breast milky

what he wanted the music to soundlike was "an imaginary western" -- when i think of that i think of the acid western 'el topo' which was released in theaters the same year as Atom heart mother. John Lennon saw it several times and endorsed it heavily and im sure people at EMI and bands like Pink Floyd saw it or at least heard of it in passing

pic related on the right is a still from the film El Topo and on the left is a promotional image of the band

yeah you're right: I do really enjoy the baroque stuff, and I wish they did more of it in rock. One big reason I consider The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed my favorite album oat is the beautiful flow between the rock sections and the orchestral sections. It's a sadly underused method of writing rock music.

Don't get me wrong, I love all Pink Floyd album. All of their works I think are great in different ways (Yes, even A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Endless River). I simply prefer this way over the rest.

dude copypasta lmao

>like Part 8 SOYCD
>doesn't like Echoes

Nigga what the fuck is wrong with you. Echoes does what Part 8 does and blows it away

youtu.be/i2uuRG9l1JA?t=476

Shit gets me hard as FUCK

i did copy paste becasue im not going to write out that shit again

can you please not combine pink floyd and 2001 or post videos like that? including the wizard of oz dark side mash up, i find it extremely offensive and stupid

>The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed my favorite album oat

p good taste my friend

i personally enjoy in search of a lost chord more but i respect your choice

the funky part in echoes is just a watered down Shine On part 8. the scary or weird part with the guitar making segall noises is also really terrible sounding and shitty and not in the dissonance kind of neat artsy way just annoying

>Your rights end where my feelings end

I do what I want. Suck my dick nigger

you have terrible taste and are a pleb if you think combining echoes with 2001 is cool or the wizard of oz and dark side, that is utter buffoonery

>utter buffoonery

you sound gay as hell

Pink Floyd was going to be the original soundtrack to 2001.

DSOTM/Oz splices are dumb but Echoes/2001 splices work

Themes From an Imaginary Western is also a Jack Bruce song from 1969. It's also a pretty trippy song, I must say

thx bb

I actually just recently got the In Search of a Lost Chord CD in the mail. They really know how to start off an album. The Day Begins/Dawn is a Feeling, Departure/Ride My See Saw, Higher and Higher, Question, The Voice, Blue World, Procession/Story in your Eyes, etc. are all amazing ways to start out the albums. Even their Christmas album has a great opening track ("Don't Need a Reindeer"), especially for a Christmas album. The only album of theirs I have heard that doesn't meet the standard is Keys to the Kingdom.

>echoes is just a watered down Shine On part 8

>has 10x the soul and color of Part 8

also how can something be a "watered down" version of something when it was released first

if anything Part 8 is a watered down Echoes

I don't agree with him either, but I don't think that's what he was saying.

>Pink Floyd was going to be the original soundtrack to 2001.
no it wasnt you fucking moron

kubrick wanted to use parts of Atom heart mother for clockwork orange but pink floyd said no. he put their album cover prominently on display when in the film clockwork orange alex is in the record store

2001 came out in 1967-68, echoes was made in 1970-1971, it was not intented to be the soundtrack the song and film have totally different meanings.
wow thanks for that i didnt know, interesting, im sure he was thinking of that as well.

atom heart mother was a combination of things i just like the overt drug references during that period of time in the band

>has 10x the soul and color of Part 8
>having a more prominate bass line makes it have more soul
wat

and ok maybe watered down wasnt the right word, but echoes overall was just them trying to move away from space rock, even though the lyrics were originally about space until they were changed to the ocean

WYWH was them totally in control in the studio they know what they wanted and they made it. everything else was just them building up to that, even dark side from a sonic perspective

Holy shit I'm experiencing it right now. I just got Synchronicity by The Police, thinking it was just going to be some nice pop-rock, but Mother is blowing me away dude.

>googles this shit

All right you're right but you're still a faggot

Echoes synchronizes well with 2001 whether it was intentional or not

If it triggers you that's a personal problem

my problem is that it doesnt sync up well because they are about two different things

you could put any blusey psych rock song during the stargate sequence and it would look cool, thats not the point

I get Synchronicity II stuck in my head all the time for some reason

>they are about two different things

Echoes' lyrics are so vague and obscure I doubt you can say anything specific enough about it to say it's "about two different things"

Not that it matters, you autist. Who gives a shit if somebody enjoys watching one thing while listening to another.

Somebody could listen to Big Black while watching the Teletubbies and as long as they get some pleasure out of it I don't see why you should give a shit

>Echoes' lyrics are so vague and obscure
theyre not though

roger waters initially wrote it about space, like interstellar overdrive, but at that point in the band they were moving away from drugs and space rock so he changed it so oceans and internal conflicts

>Who gives a shit if somebody enjoys watching one thing while listening to another.
no body gives a shit except people who can appreciate the music for what it is and dont make it a commodity to layer it over another great work of art, totally ruining what made it good at all, you simpleton, fuck you and your Youtube mashups

(me)

I can see that in the studio version, but I think they really stepped up their shit in the live versions of Echoes. The groove section is funkier, the guitar section afterwards is more chaotic, everything about it seems so much more lively when played live. But I also have to appreciate Gilmour's acoustic version of Shine On.

>Echoes Live at Pompeii
youtube.com/watch?v=XnolyvilwNw

>David Gilmour Echoes Live at Gdansk:
youtube.com/watch?v=cl25ikVEPB4

>David Gilmour Shine On You Crazy Diamond Acoustic:
youtube.com/watch?v=0qjpOLj7WSY

Dude I didn't google it and I knew that.
That doesn't mean the synchronicity isn't neat, though.

I just was at 2nd and Charles browsing the CDs, saw it and remembered my dad always playing Synchronicity II in the car when I was a kid. I saw that it also had a lot of their other popular songs (King of Pain, Every Breath you Take, Wrapped Around Your Finger, etc.), so I decided to get it. It has really exceeded my expectations tus far, though. Much more than the simply pop I was expecting.

>tus far
>simply pop
Jesus I need to go to sleep

>That doesn't mean the synchronicity isn't neat, though.
roger waters thought the wizard of oz and dark side mashup was stupid and i agree with him

ive actually met roger waters at a conference, and asked him and he told me the same thing that is was not that clever and pointless

>I've actually met roger waters at a conference
did he spit on you? did you save his saliva so you can make more Rogers to make more music? Did he say anything about his upcoming record?

>people who can appreciate the music for what it is and dont make it a commodity to layer it over another great work of art,

Great tip of the fedora to ya too, my brother

>roger waters initially wrote it about space,but changed it to oceans and internal conflicts

wow so fucking specific and totally not vague at all you dingdong

i didnt get to talk to him that long because as you can imagine lots of people wanted to talk, but i did mention the winzard of oz and he said it was pointless

i dont think mashups are all bad or awful i just think in the case of pink floyd, youre ruining what is essentially some of the best music ever

>wow so fucking specific and totally not vague at all you dingdong
lots of prog rock bands including king crimson base their whole output on that moron, as specific as it gets for that period in the bands career
>Great tip of the fedora to ya too, my brother
i wear a fedora because i DONT like youtube mashup of pink floyd? kys

>Great tip of the fedora to ya too, my brother
not an argument

>wow so fucking specific and totally not vague at all you dingdong
just look it up you dunce

yeah but how far along the cloning process are you?

to be honest i like roger waters opinions on politics which is rare becasue 99% i HATE the opinions of celebrities but hes ok, i dont agree with him on everything but hes alright, i use to really not dig him, thought his solo works were kinda ehh tier

i would clone gilmour before waters are you kidding?

gilmour could be 100 and still be at the top of his musical abilities hes probably one of the greatest musicians on the planet -- i think his solo output is kinda meh too but as far as instrumentation style technique he is pro

well yeah but if you have Waters' DNA now then you might as well. Waters is 2 years older than Gilmour anyway so you still have time.

>This video is about space

>This song is about the ocean

>WOW HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY ENJOY BOTH THINGS AT ONCE THEY ARE ABOUT TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS

you are so painfully autistic

>This video is about space
its not about space at all, do you even know what 2001 is about? just because space is a central part to the films location is not what its 'about'... ya know what im not going to derail this thread any more talking to retards like you

Echoes is fucking amazing. The riff is insane and David fucks with the listener beautifully, especially during the long ambient part. Listen to that shit on acid sons. It's pathetic to mock this song of Pink Floyd.

>Do you even know what 2001 is about?

Yes, and I'm not so autistic that I get upset by people watching clips of it while listening to Pink Floyd because one has space in it and the other has ocean sounds in it.

you dont know what 2001 is about lol fucking dunce

Pic related