I don't get it. Laughably lame keyboard sounds and cheesier vocals. What am I missing here?

I don't get it. Laughably lame keyboard sounds and cheesier vocals. What am I missing here?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ng66x8nV0Y8
youtu.be/nX7XrfR3e3Q
youtu.be/EC6BS8WqtNs
youtu.be/KI8b6GQ5C80
twitter.com/AnonBabble

literally nothing. it's shit, like most prog rock.

Nothing

What I thought when I heard it

>most prog rock
Does that exclude ItCotCK and Close to the Edge to you?

I think prog rock is one of those things where, if you weren't into it when you were really young, you'll never get it ever.

Or you have to be a huge nerd. Either works.

Am I supposed to think this is epic or something? Was this some mind blowing shit back in the 70's that has since aged terribly? Is this a "Seinfeld Isn't Funny" type deal where its influence reached so far that it's hard for future generations to understand its groundbreaking-ness because they lack proper context? I feel like I'm really missing out on something huge here.

no, try again

If you don't see the magic, you don't see the magic.

Shit taste

Then I'm really not sure. Enlighten me, wise one

inb4 Gentle Giant Cardiacs and Magma

why? because i don't listen to meme music? or because i don't listen to Sup Forums-core?

Because you think good music is bad. As a side note, you're also really stupid for using the word "meme" as criticism and trying to be taken seriously.

Is Kosmische music prog? I was always led to believe it was basically the German prog scene, and some of my all time favorite bands are krautrockers, but I can't seem to stomach any traditionally "Prog" bands.

what i think is good music is subjective, and what you think is good music is subjective as well. but on a side note, are you defending ALL prog rock? is all prog rock good?

Cheesy organ sounds you say? No: These are cheesy organ sounds
youtube.com/watch?v=ng66x8nV0Y8

I don't think all prog rock is good. I have a shameless affinity for prog, but there is stuff that I find tasteless and boring. I don't really like ELP, and I dread most of the neo prog that tries to imitate the 70s prog bands. But I love plenty of 70s prog and krautrock, King Crimson being my favorite band ever.

>Laughably lame keyboard sounds

Apocalypse In 9/8 is one of the best keyboard parts in all of prog.

the reason my opinion is the way it is is because i haven't found a prog album that i have enjoyed completely. almost all of the prog albums i have listened to were like what you described, tasteless and boring. king crimson was the only one that was pretty above average to me, but it also doesn't stand out to me in any way either. really most prog just sounds the same to me.

Have you listened to Selling England By The Pound? It's a lot different than Foxtrot.

no, but i'll give it a listen! i'm a bit hard on genesis but i'll give them another shot

I don't think that one's going to change your mind on them desu, if you were so down on Foxtrot. It's a very similar album. The Lamb, on the other hand, is the most distinctive album Genesis ever made, might want to try that one instead.

we get it, prog isn't your thing,
and you can't like things that are old.
stand aside for the people who understand what a masterpiece this is

OP here, not the guy with the continuous conversation through the thread
>we get it, prog isn't your thing,
I thought it would be, and it may actually be my thing, see >and you can't like things that are old.
On the contrary, I have a deep fondness for the 60's and early 70's. I consider that era to be the highest point in music.
>stand aside for the people who understand what a masterpiece this is
I just want someone to help me see the light

The reason I said it was a lot different than Foxtrot was because it was an obvious maturation of their talents. On Foxtrot the tracks tended to meander on and not a single track stood out (Suppers Ready did, but only because it was five times longer than any of the other songs). In Selling England, none of the songs feel too long and each of them have hooks; nothing felt like wank because the instruments played for the sake of the song.

Suppers Ready is the best thing they ever did

I suppose you two don't even like prog. Why are you even discussing a Genesis album?

OP again
Prog was always my mother's cup of tea growing up, kept recommending it. Used to listen to her old Rush LPs growing up and it was pretty fun. Genesis is by far her favorite band from her college days and I want to like Genesis for the sake of rekindling a waning connection, but I just can't seem to connect with it the way she did. After being unimpressed by Selling England by the Pound a year ago, I finally decided to dive into her favorite, Foxtrot. I enjoyed parts of it but I found myself irritated by the keyboard and Gabriel's vocal style, which came off as cheesy/goofy more than it did grandiose. ("Mum to mud to mad to dad" was not a highlight for me).

>I suppose you two don't even like prog.
Perhaps. I didn't really like Yes when I tried them and I've yet to listen to King Crimson so Idk how I feel about them. If we're calling Pink Floyd prog, I guess I like them, but I lean more towards the early psychedelic days (Piper is one of my favorite albums of all time). What's confounding for me is that Yeti by Amon Düül II is categorically my favorite album of all time, and I was under the impression it was prog rock as well as psychedelic, so theoretically I should be able to appreciate the English scene as well.

Believe me, I'm not some asshole coming in here trying to shit on the genre as a whole. I'm just trying to understand it so that I can unravel the hidden beauty that is obviously there, or else the classics of the genre would not be so highly revered. Admittedly, my original post was kinda douchey and shitpost-esque, and I apologize for that. If anything, I'm just frustrated at myself for not understanding.

What did you listen to before getting into prog? I think that's important when listening to a completely different genre of music. Coming from a blues, rock and metal background, even Genesis, which is one of the most accessible prog bands, sounded weird to me. If you're not a musician, it may be hard to get into prog, jazz and jazz fusion for example. I couldn't imagine listening to jazz for example a few years ago. I went to a small open gig in my town last night and there were some metal, rock and blues bands. I just couldn't really enjoy metal. I guess I'm not really that angry. Here are some albums I would recommend. Give them a listen when you can and maybe make another thread sharing your opinion after listening to some ''new'' albums:
youtu.be/nX7XrfR3e3Q
youtu.be/EC6BS8WqtNs
youtu.be/KI8b6GQ5C80
Camel - Mirage
Gong - Flying teapot
Caravan - In the land of grey and pink

>what did I listen to before prog
Grew up on Wilco and Radiohead in elementary school and had a misguided idea that I listen to "real rawk", when really it turns out I just liked music substance. Tended towards edgy alt-rock stuff in middle school. Discovered Sup Forums in high school, went through the generic indie-drone phase while exploring other genres at a surface level, like post-rock, post-punk, etc. Eventually I started developing tastes of my own, tending mostly toward psychedelia, which led to Krautrock, where Ege Bamyasi slowly acclimated me to Jazz fusion, and now I'm currently trying to explore Jazz out of a love for improvisation.

I know I'm being a little impatient expecting to "get" Prog right away when I know how long it can take me to fully appreciate unfamiliar genres. Thanks for the recs, I'll have to dive into them soon.

Also, metal's not really my cup of tea either, so I get that. I can't tell if it's a lack of appreciation for the technical skill and songwriting or if I'm just being a shallow cunt who doesn't want to associate with the aesthetic. To be honest, that might actually play a part in what's stopping me from getting into Prog, as its developed a bad reputation online from edgy teenagers. Damn, gotta work on that.

If metal isn't your cup of tea either, I don't suppose you'll like King Crimson. Their sound is quite aggressive and distorted compared to other prog bands. In the court of the Crimson King is one of their more tame albums, along with their ''new wave'' albums. They're a British band, but they are quite different from the other bands that originated from The Great Britain.