Is Perth post-rock?

Is Perth post-rock?

Perth is an Australian city.

it's an Australian city

Tangled Thoughts Of Leaving is Perth post-rock

You're living on it.

It's a city in Australia

Slowcore

Where do you draw the line? Are Slint slowcore or post-rock? What about Bark Psychosis? Talk Talk?

Gotta check those guys out, thanks

All those 3 are post-rock

What makes Codeine, Low or Red House Painters that much different from those three? I've never felt like there was that much of a divide

You either have no ears or very bad ears.

Post-rock is a rather broad subgenre of rock music that is rather basically defined as "rock instrumentation for non-rock purposes". It simply refers to rock bands that value atmosphere, timbre and texture over melodies, riffs and rhythms, have unusual or sometimes even no song structures, and more often than not employ some form of extended technique or have emphasis on unusual instrumentation.

Happy now?

I mean I get that but if we're talking first wave there's not really difference in sound between the two genres besides maybe song structure

Codeine are very similar to Slint, but slint adds a bit of a hardcore heavier side to their music, Codeine's heavier side is slower and more brooding never reaching past a slow tempo

Early Low was very slow and reverb drenched, with is not like slint at all

Red House Painters are much more singer-songwriter like, especially later in their career, and add folk elements that slint doesn't

That statement applies to all post-rock. With exception of third wave/crescendocore.

Fuck you said, all three bands, i'm drunk so i only read slint

ehh

Well let's be honest, "second wave" was a swift transition to crescendo-core, outside of like sigur ros, a first wave/slowcore band with an Icelandic gimmick

To rephrase OP's question, is Perth post-rock or slowcore and what is slowcore?

Second wave is nothing like crescendocore, the fuck?

Sigur Ros are a prime example of second wave. GYBE, ASMZ, SFTF and the other Constellation post-rock groups are second wave. Tortoise are second wave. None of them are crescendoshit save for later Sigur Ros

Try again

Godspeed and all associated projects were the crude product that was eventually distilled into pure crescendo-core and mass produced for third wave

Second wave is fundamentally a transitional period

Not even close. Second wave was an extension of first wave, an attempt to push it further. That's why most, if not all, of the groups in it can be traced back to first wave, be it through related members or very noticable influence.

Third wave was just watering down the most accessible elements of second wave and turning it into formulaic shite. There was no "transitional period", it was just a fade out for second wave and a fade in for third wave.

its the best australian city

>arguing about post-rock waves as if they're a thing
There's post-rock that sucks, and post-rock that's good - just like any other genre.