So I just listened to this and almost fell asleep. So monotonous and flat...

So I just listened to this and almost fell asleep. So monotonous and flat. I don't get why people think Tool is exciting or interesting. Fates Warning's new album destroys this.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pXguhQVRcs0
youtube.com/watch?v=ja3LGFY1i0o
youtube.com/watch?v=JOKn33-q4Ao
youtube.com/watch?v=_OqQSfdC0Zo
youtube.com/watch?v=FQxEVhyvA0I
youtube.com/watch?v=Q8YpelVdcaY
youtube.com/watch?v=NB7lTEEji08
youtube.com/watch?v=goDd02TTxBA
youtube.com/watch?v=XSxOtmmDbgw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't understand why so many people shit themselves for this soft rock dronefest

This, except I'm not trolling. Of course, I can definitely hear the progressive elements and I appreciate it to some degree, I just found it to be too monotonous. I wish they would use more exciting dynamics and contrast in their music. They definitely have some good musical ideas but they aren't executed in a way that I find compelling.

Bump

first half of 10,000 days is much more interesting imo

i agree

i hope a tool fanatic can make me understand it because they treat it like the second coming of christ

I agree. I think 10,000 Days was much more interesting.

They were better as a plain "alternative" metal band without a whole lot of prog influence. Their first EP and album are decent. They fell off by making hour+ long albums and trying to do stupid "deep" shit like use the Fibonacci sequence or whatever in their music.

Stinkfist, Schism, Parabola, Reflection and Jambi is a pretty great songs. They sound like a post-Nirvana, modern day King Crimson.

Also, Danny Carey is a fantastic drummer and Maynard is a decent singer even though his moany voice can get old quick.

I think people find them monotonous because Adam Jones' guitar parts stay within (what seems to be) a very controlled range of tones

I agree. It's almost always D minor and he does the same stuff in each song.

There's a video on youtube demonstrating Adam's playing style. You can see it's actually very simplistic and predictable.

youtube.com/watch?v=pXguhQVRcs0

Lateralus would probably be my favorite Tool album if the last 4 tracks were left off. 30 wasted minutes after a great string of songs

Do you think he did it to create the elusive "signature sound" sought out by many artists? I like his guitar playing, but I think it limits Tool

Disposition is a nice outro for Lateralus
Reflection is good but overlong
Triad is boring mix of their previous songs
Faaip de oiad is edgy shit

Yeah I gotta agree the album falls off after lateralus desu.

But besides that Tool has been decently big since the 90s I just think like Tools fanbase still remains because of that amount of years they've just been around releasing continuous music except for this latest drought.

Tool is really boring, and they always have tons of filler to make the albums longer for some reason. I don't like Maynard's voice either

I went from hating Tool to being able to place them in my top 5 or 10 bands. I'm suspicious that I've somehow forced myself to like them. After many many album spins, their music feels important. I may be crazy

I don't know. Their motto was always to progress and evolve their sound, yet his guitar work is quite the same from Opiate to 10,000 days.

Carey on the other hand is a great drummer and on a completely different level than his bandmates. Listen to what he does from 7:25
youtube.com/watch?v=ja3LGFY1i0o

>So monotonous and flat.
At what part is it flat?

Tool are just one of those bands that while they have complete control over their instruments they have no understanding of soul or emotion. In short, they play like fucking robots.

>soul or emotion
How is that measured?

to be fair, maynard puts a lot of emotion into his singing

this is what soul and emotion sounds like bb
youtube.com/watch?v=JOKn33-q4Ao

You don't really need extra emotion when Maynard is your singer

>emotion is only what I say it is
Wow

it mean to be a experience, just listen to the lyrics and how the music is connected to them

Out of ten

the lyrics have the answer

nope I said
"sounds like" bb

I was with you until
>Fate's Warning's new albums destroys this
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

"Soul and emotion" doesn't equal with playing the guitars passionately. I can find lots of emotions in a techno album.

link them bb

this house album gives me feels alsoyoutube.com/watch?v=_OqQSfdC0Zo

Which implies that's the standard
Measured how?
>I can find lots of emotions in a techno album.
Like what?

To be fair its hard to have "soul and emotion" when you're a band that goes for texture and poly-rhythms. Its a different type of music entirely, and I find most of it boring (10,000 days is pretty entertaining tho)

lateralus is complete shit compared with anno domini high definiton

no i didn't imply anything You did. I said "sounds like"

I honestly prefer Undertow and Aenima to this. There's something about this record that makes it seem so goddamn pretentious to me, whereas Undertow and Aenima seemed more natural.

I hear their newest album is filled with ten-minute-long instrumentals, which oughta be fun fun fun

Then it was a non sequitur
>texture and poly-rhythms
Which could create an emotion
>boring
Being bored is an emotion.

>They sound like a post-Nirvana, modern day King Crimson.
The bad thing is the real post-Nirvana, modern day King Crimson existed, was better than Tool and yet it was still bad.

actually, he's probably just never was a great guitar player and sticks to simple patterns that he learned when he was younger.

He actually left a career he was passionate about for tool. Used to do set design and sculptures for movies, he did the jurassic park and predator.

Adam Jones is known for not predominantly using any particular guitar playing technique, but rather combining many techniques[6] such as "alternately utilizing power chords, scratchy noise, chiming arpeggios, off-beat rhythm patterns, and a quiet minimalism".[7] On Lateralus and 10,000 Days, he made heavy use of triplets. Other techniques used to expand his band's sound repertoire require forms of instrumental experimentation and applications of non-instrumental experimentation as well, such as his use of an Epilady as a plectrum on the Aenima and Lateralus albums for example; continuing in this direction on the Tool song, "Jambi",[8] Jones uses a talk box. In the song "Third Eye", he makes use of a guitar slide for the opening. He has two synthesizers that are listed below in his effects section. Live, Adam can be seen with a large pedalboard full of effects, including a DOD FX-40B Equalizer (EQ) pedal, Boss BF-2 Flanger, Boss DD-3 Digital Delay, MXR Micro Amp, Dunlop BB535 and two Boss Master switch/power supply pedals among a few others .

What band was that?

He means King Crimson, y'know, considering they're still touring

the first four that comes to mind
youtube.com/watch?v=FQxEVhyvA0I
youtube.com/watch?v=Q8YpelVdcaY
youtube.com/watch?v=NB7lTEEji08
youtube.com/watch?v=goDd02TTxBA

Is it sad that I recognized that passage from Wikipedia less than a sentence in?

>post-Nirvana

so he plays the guitar just like everyone else?

I want old maynard back

youtube.com/watch?v=XSxOtmmDbgw

Oh is everyone often voted as one of the best guitarists around?

King Crimson is touring right now....thats post Nirvana right? The Power to Believe was recorded in 2002-2003...

already enjoyed these and I'd agree. Still don't understand why you guys took my example of maggot brain as me saying thats the only "standard" of soul and emotion.

>.thats post Nirvana right?
Not really.

>adam jones
>great guitarist

you don't even play guitar do you?

I've been playing for as long as you've been alive.

How many bands have you been in again?

The rhythms are what make Adam's guitar parts complex. Most riffs are only a few notes anyway

you've been playing for 43 years?

You mean knowing when not to play, and showing restraint? That is a talent I've seen many not able to grasp.
You started playing 20 years too late?

wat

are you trying to say you are 63?

That's also true for Adam, but it's not what I meant. It could be the product of playing with Danny and Justin, but I've always felt that Adam's riffs have a unique primal quality to their rhythmic structures. Bouncy, but not mindlessly so

>43
>never learned basic math
OK. I don't even like Tool, but i have no doubt that he's a fine player. Do you really think the rest of the band would tolerate playing with a subpar musician? Adam probably does what he does because that's what's needed for the song.

He should've done the math to know the dangers of a second guessing

He should've done the math enough to know the dangers of a second guessing

Holy fuck kill yourself

Babbies 1st acid trip desu