Non musicians on Sup Forums

as a super serious musician (going to berklee on a large scholarship), i kinda have a hard time understanding what non-musicians who are really into music get out of it. thoughts?

Makes me feel good

after learning to play an instrument and eventually playing in a band late in life i literally began to enjoy music LESS because it lost a lot of its mystique, especially more obscure stuff.

fuck off, condescending prick

It depends on the type of music, sometimes I like the patterns (after a few years listening, even before I tried my hand at studying theory, you start to notice similarities), sometimes the historical context (I like history, and art history especially, seeing how the cultures and events change the course of how things are portrait is fantastic), sometimes to know how things sound, sometimes plain fun

I take pleasure in my lack of understanding.

I get a hobby out of it, also makes doing other tasks more enjoyable.

also this

holy fuck I hate autistic Berklee kids

you're all so desperate for validation and wrapped up in your identity as a "super serious musician".

>lost a lot of its mystique

probably because you realized how much of it is just the same shit over and over again

forgot to add

fucking play in a band, host shows, create your own art rather than rehearse some dead guys shit for countless hours, etc, otherwise your talent is worthless and your identity a sham. Fuck you and every other 8th chair oboe-playing prick in Boston. Nobody actually playing music likes you jackass kids.

I think people who go to school for their art are retarded

berklee is probably the worst music school as well

all they do is shit out a bunch of hack jazz musicians that no one gives a shit about

You're learning it wrong.
I've learned and instrument and music theory but never let that get in the way of enjoyment of music. Music doesn't have to be complex to be interesting or good. And good pop tends to have a magic that no amount of intellectualizing or analysis can pinpoint, like personality or danceability.
I also like the view the music-theory rules as a guideline and a challenge to break them.

yeah but the dead guys music is actually good

this

if an art degree can help someone make a living I don't see a problem with that

>if an art degree can help someone make a living I don't see a problem with that

yea lets go borrow $100k to go learn how to be a musician at berklee

lol

i know a couple people who went to music school and they're broke as shit

People like music. OP's question is like asking why non chefs would be interested in food. It's just part of a full life.

>i know a couple people who went to music school and they're broke as shit

yeah but I'm talking about the people who aren't unemployed because obviously it's stupid to go into debt and not have a job after you graduate

it's stupid to go into debt to learn music, period

unless someone gets a nearly free/free ride, there is no point in going to music school.

this mate. no one becomes a musician to get rich unless they're a minor or a total idiot (or both)

as a musician, the progression I've taken through music has less to do with my knowledge of theory/playing/composition and more with just what I feel like listening to. I try to ignore cringey chord progressions and key changes and modal mixtures that are extremely overplayed and just try to enjoy the sounds.

Fuck playing or writing shit like that though. Unless it's just casual playing like at a party, I'll try to play/write some challenging/complex/uncommon (not to the point of "lol i used microtones") stuff.

>super serious musician
fuck off.
I have a masters degree in classical music performance. we don't have any magic insight we just get told more efficient words to convey our thoughts on music.

I know professional orchestral musicians who have never listened to anything other an traditional "classical" music who I would never take any interest in. Being an autist and being able to match pitches, beats and timbres doesn't make your opinion on music any better.

It's best to listen, be like john cage.

i guess i was just thinking about how listening and playing to me are really intertwined, and i can't relate to being strictly a listener and not a creator. i feel like now that i've started creating, i can't stop catching compositional details and nuances related to the instruments. i wonder what it would be like to listen really objectively and not focus on details like that.

forgot, I'm This.

Look man, you getting a free ride to Berklee doesn't hold a candle to someone just getting into Oberlin or Julliard or Yale at this point.

Take a bit of advise I got from Branford Marsalis, "if you wan't to be a musician but have a plan B do your plan B cause you'll never make it as a musician unless you go 100%."

You may be talented you may not be, go for it but go for it hard.

honestly, it comes down to personality. I know great talented musicians with the worst taste in music.

there's no objectively in music. The question I often encounter in music is "did they deliberately do that cool thing or not?" Like, was it just a fluke or did they mean to do that cool thing?

I find after studying music my appreciation for meshuggah and math metal went up.

>super serious musician
>berklee college of trust fund inheritance
pick one faget

also at Berklee be prepared for pretty much more of Sup Forums. From the people I met who went there what they lack in talent they profoundly make up for in pretense.

Advice: networking is key but hard will work never be replaced. Be the silent humble always ready shredder who happens to know all the professors because you've had one on one convos and really want to become the best musician you can be.