/classical/

20th century edition.
Post your favorite composers and works from the 20th century onward, no Schnittke allowed.

>inb4 how do I into classical?
>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others.
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces.
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century.
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix.
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings.
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks).
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic.
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Crudblud stuff
crudblud.sjm.so/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_liiGxY1dPw
youtube.com/watch?v=rYY3XcYZK7E
youtube.com/watch?v=dTOSRjD57EM
youtube.com/watch?v=kd1xYKGnOEw
youtube.com/watch?v=IBP0jjZgtKo
youtube.com/watch?v=vY0wnxItNWM
youtube.com/watch?v=_qWPCoayhjY
youtube.com/watch?v=kIcYPqwefYI
youtube.com/watch?v=K_85VWhfSRA
youtube.com/watch?v=aAcYjH_mV1o
youtube.com/watch?v=mqvlrphkGAU
youtube.com/watch?v=piBqsmYcj0s
youtube.com/watch?v=IT0ghoOGn78
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

petzold

Further proof.

That cover reminded me of pic related.

MOZART vs HAYDN

Symphonies - Tie
Concerti - Mozart
Chamber music - Mozart
Solo keyboard - Mozart
Opera - Mozart
Choral music - Haydn

FINAL TALLY:
Mozart - 4.5
Haydn - 1.5

>Symphonies - Tie
>Chamber music - Mozart

lol

>tfw you have better taste than everyone even when it comes to classical

a blessing and a curse

Post Americans
youtube.com/watch?v=_liiGxY1dPw
youtube.com/watch?v=rYY3XcYZK7E
youtube.com/watch?v=dTOSRjD57EM

Went to a live performance of Messiaen's `Quatuor pour la fin du temps' today. It's an incredible work, and it was *very* well-performed.

Me too thanks.

prove it

Who was performing?

Someone help me please

youtube.com/watch?v=kd1xYKGnOEw

Fuck off Ame/CLT

Is Karajan's 1963 rendition of Beethoven's 9th the definitive recording of this piece? If not, then what is? Thanks.

>definitive recording
lel
I like Fricsay's 9th better.

where the fuck do I find a good recording of bach's violin concertos. The one in OP is from the 30s so the quality is shit. Maybe i'll have to resort to just listening to youtube uploads cause I can't find a good recording anywhere.

Fricsay's is better and so is Furtwängler's from the Lucerne Festival of 1954 (I know because I have great taste, remember)

You're welcome pleb.

Is the concept of a definitive recording silly?

A bit. There are GOAT recordings of certain pieces that would be hard to top like E. Kleiber's Figaro and that Mengelberg Mahler though.

maybe if there are a lot of good performances, sure

but some works aren't so popular

What's some good classical for when my mouth tastes like shit because I may have licked a vomit-covered sink while sleepwalking, or maybe that was just a dream and my mouth tastes bad because of allergies?

Think of it like "mysterious," but not in a good way, because the secret behind the mystery is probably completely fucking disgusting

I'm not asking for a recording recommendation I'm asking where I can find the recordings so I can have them on my hard drive

hm sounds like galina ustvolskaya to me

>spoonfeed me illegal downloads of music that's easy to find and even easier to buy

No.

:c

Where were you when you realized Bach was the indisputable GOAT?

youtube.com/watch?v=IBP0jjZgtKo

isn't there a lot of overlap between concerto and chamber music?

slsk newfriend

>slsk in 2016
>stealing music in 2016

no wonder these threads are shit
none of you even buy music

I prefer BWV 1053.

Only during the baroque. Classical concerti were well-defined as soloist+orchestra.

I buy and share music sometimes.
Though only SDF and Harpsichord have super rare recordings, probably because of Jew magic.

I buy music. He was asking how to. I didn't use to when I was poor. I'm still pretty poor tho :(

Thoughts on Mozart's horn concertos? They're pretty swell.

4th is divine

What is Harpischord? I can't find it when I search. There's too much actual harpsichord music

Thanks for the interesting sites btw

>Mozart

fuck off

Not super familiar but I like them.
Only heard the recordings by Dennis Brain, shame he never recorded a whole cycle with anyone other than Karajan.
Pleb

What's the problem with Mozart?

Namefriend. He goes by "Harpsichord is GOAT" or something like that. Associated with SDF and Taxes. Haven't seen him for a while though, although I haven't been here too often myself. His favorite Bartók quartet is No.5, which is the "right" answer.

I see. Thanks for the reply.

You have 10 seconds to prove that you don't have shit taste.

Górecki's 3rd symphony is a meme.

Unfortunately I do have a shit taste in my mouth right now. I've tried brushing and downing water but it still lingers.

I don't underrate Mozart

Pleb

I only listen to recordings with fuzz and a coughing audience.

is this album any good

Listen to it and see for yourself.

got a download for it?

it's on slsk

Is there a technical name for having one singer off-stage for a call-answer (responsory?) portion? I'm thinking specifically of Monteverdi's Gloria Patri (from Magnificat).

youtube.com/watch?v=vY0wnxItNWM

youtube.com/watch?v=_qWPCoayhjY
:^))
>""""""""""""""""music"""""""""""""""

no u

>writes GOAT solo keyboard, violin and cello works
>can't write concertos for shit
What happened Bach?

>>can't write concertos for shit

lol

"In lontano"
youtube.com/watch?v=kIcYPqwefYI

where were you when you realized that sviaotoslav richter's is the best PIANO interpretation of the well-tempered clavier and that doing a strict, accurate stoccato interpretation is pointless unless you're using an actual harpsichord for which the WTC was written in the first place?
youtube.com/watch?v=K_85VWhfSRA

you're wrong......................................................................

.............................................................................................................no..........................................................................................................................................................

>harpsichord for which the WTC was written in the first place
>this meme again

um.......yeah lol.....*facepalms epically at u* what a nooby epic fail -_-
uh....it's true :/

>this video is not available

Thank God.

....................................................................................o.m................g.. .l..i.e.k. i.................. .c.a...............................nt be.........llif you.....just s............a.........id that to ..................................................me.........................

>where were you when finger exercises...

Whats the best performance of Clair de Lune?

protip: Its this one.

youtube.com/watch?v=aAcYjH_mV1o

sviatoslav richter i agree :D *thumbs up*

How old were you when you finally grew out of Mozart?

I'm no articulate critic (i wish) but I feel and barely think that there's so much depth to this performance. I hear new things every time, its like this is the way it was always meant to be played.

>shitposter that doesn't like Bach is located in a shitty third world country and/or Germany

pottery

Reminder that music is only considered a serious artform because Bach saved its reputation after Mozart almost ruined it with his unlettered populism.

Praise Bach.

Is there a chart for the most complex pieces of classical music? If not, any recommendations>

The only good complex music is Bach. There's a lot of modern and contemporary music that's "complex" but it's basically memeshit. Stick with the good stuff.

Just Listen to Ferneyhough, Carter and Stockhaseun

youtube.com/watch?v=mqvlrphkGAU
youtube.com/watch?v=piBqsmYcj0s

Bach is my favorite too, but some of Mozart's stuff is also really good.

However I noticed that having listened to Gould's interpretations of Mozart's piano sonatas colored my perception of them. When i listen to more 'faithful' performances of them they kind of bore me, maybe gould just made them better.........and this is coming from someone who loves bach but doesnt' like gould's bach recordings.

Like, listen to gould's recording of the 2nd movement of mozart's piano sonata, then listen to the way it's actually meant to be played. Maybe I'm just crazy but gould's version is so much better, and that goes for pretty much all of gould's mozart piano interpretations that I've listened to.

***2nd movement of mozart's 16th piano sonata

The Ficino ensemble.

yeah Mozart is white bread unless someone adds a little "spice"

>tfw shostakovich wrote his first symphony when he was 19
>tfw schubert wrote the piano quintet when he was 22

You must remember they went through rigorous formal music education at a far younger age .
That said, there's nothing stopping anyone with great musical talent from writing works of such quality at such an age.

Why the fuck is Mozart getting shit on so much in this thread?

Because his music is bad? Just a thought.

I like Mozart I just think Gould made his piano sonatas way better
youtube.com/watch?v=IT0ghoOGn78

he's a huge piano autist.

he has pretty recognizable (good) taste and good wit. honestly he was one of the funniest people in these threads.

>tfw enescu had already written like 15 decent compositions by 19
his octet is way better than Mendelssohns.

It's not tho

I mean I don't think he's my favorite but he unquestionably wrote some dope shit

the trout quintet pales in comparison to his late chamber works

and early shosty is pretty mediocre

>Bartók didn't write his first string quartet until he was 28

you know, i have to admit, i still don't know how i feel about shosty-sempai's symphonies in general, though i love all of his string quartets
like i have listened to the 4th symphony maybe 10 times and the only thing i know for sure about it is that i definitely don't like it? yet i will probably listen to it again?
also the fact that schubert's late chamber works are better =/= the trout quintet is bad? ok?

what are schubert's best chamber works? I've only heard trout quintet and death and the maiden and I like them both a lot, though I like the trout a little more than death and the maiden

the
fucking
string
quintet

i basically told my friend the other day, i want the second movement played at my funeral

>and early shosty is pretty mediocre

Shostakovich is pretty mediocre. Half of his symphonies are dogshit. If he didn't have any fucking ideas he should have been a professional and adopted serialism like everyone else with a brain.

Do people think this is good? Even the musicians look confused.

i think it's important to listen to his music with the knowledge in your mind that he had a complete lack of artistic freedom
not that it makes them better, or excuses mediocrity, but it's unfair to compare him to a composer who could do whatever they wanted

personally i prefer the 1st to shostys cheesy 5th

when i first started listening to classical, i listened to the 10th nonstop for awhile. dont really listen to shosty outside of chamber works that much anymore.

his later quartets. d703 is pretty underrated.

his quintet is his best work though in my opinion

Pleb.

Schoenberg liked Shostakovich a decent amount actually

Does /classical/ like the flute?