Death Grips

Can we have a Death Grips thread? Discuss whatever, hype the tour, fav songs, et c..

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p3j2NYZ8FKs
youtube.com/watch?v=c3tyNjJzuIM
youtube.com/watch?v=fcI5rNR5TGM
youtube.com/watch?v=7aG2u7e-Kx8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I like their music
also Niggas on the Moon > Jenny Death

Okay. Let me handle the ranking of their discography, I know what I'm talking about.

>GOD
Niggas on the Moon

>Fantastic Tier
Bottomless Pit
Government Plates
Death Grips EP (FACE MELTER)

>Great Tier
The Money Store
Exmilitary
No Love Deep Web

>okay tier
Jenny Death

their best is NOTM but i still like NLDW more

goverment plates & niggas on the moon would have made a much better double album, anybody that agrees with this? They compliment each other so much better

I think TMS > BP and Exmilitary > their EP
but I agree with the rest

if they made it a double album it would literally be the greatest piece of music ever put to form

am i the only one that likes their early stuff and not the noisy glitchy thing they do now?

Exmilitary and NLDW are fucking amazing

Fucking God Tier: The Band. We live in the best timeline bros.

I agree that GP is more similar to niggas on the moon than jenny death is, but I think they would be better as separate albums

>couldn't fucking figure out when the hamburg tickets would go up
>been checking everywhere every day for the past two weeks hoping to find any info
>still can't find anything
kill me

if I was forced at gunpoint to pick my favorite 10 they'd probably be

>anne bonny
>lock your doors
>up my sleeves
>birds
>billy not really
>hacker
>no love
>punk weight
>inanimate sensation
>beware
>black dice

>tfw you're not from the us or europe so you won't ever see your favorite artists live
at least I can download music for free

Bottomless Pit isn't very noisy or glitchy, I figure that'd be an album that would go over well with EXM/TMS fans, it's as hook based as those two were. I'd actually go as far and say that BP sounds better than they do.

>I honestly didn't like anything after Have A Sad Cum BB on NOTM, everything after that track sounds like a re-hashing of earlier songs. The Bjork sampling also gets really fucking repetitive at this point.
>I wish 5D became a whole song with chord progression, vocals etc. and I was really disappointed when it ended not even a minute in.
>I really, really wish that the hook on Ring A Bell didn't sound so much like pop, because I really enjoy the rest of the song.
>I wish Ride would scream vocals more than he does because it sounds okay-tier when he just talks them out
>I wish NLDW didn't have a dick as the cover so that I could comfortably show people DG without having to explain to them that one of the album covers has a dick on it, then having to explain that it's not like "that Nirvana album"
>All I want is a physical copy of Exmilitary and Government Plates, can I please?
>I really wish they'd work on their live performances a bit more so that they'd be enjoyable to listen to outside of the concert, instead of a jumbled mess
>Government Plates is criminally underrated
>I really enjoy it when they incorporate a guitar into their music like On GP and parts of Fashion Week, I wish they'd do that more

Ah yes, the age old "10 Death Grips for ur life" situation:

Black Quarterback
Whatever I Want (Fuck who's watching)
You Might Think He Loves You
Face Melter (How to do impossible things)
Anne Bonny
Hustle Bones
Up My Sleeves
Bottomless Pit
Three Bedrooms in a Good Neighborhood
Eh

>All I want is a physical copy of Exmilitary and Government Plates, can I please?
well they exist, they're just very expensive

That's kind of why I say that, I don't have that kind of money to spend on a band who isn't even taken too seriously anymore

>artificial death in the west
>houdini
>lord of the game
>have a sad cum
>the fever
>no love
>on gp
>pss pss
>more than a fairy

in no particular order
>Get Got
>World of Dogs
>Birds
>You Might Think He Loves You big name
>Big Dipper
>Houdini
>Voila
>Inanimate Sensation
>Eh
>Beware
fuck that was harder than I thought it would be

>sold my blue Bottomless Pit vinyl on ebay.
>fucker was taking a while to pay
>start to check his feedback
>he has feedback from people selling butt plugs, vinyls, food and "Virgin Pussy Onahole Japanese first time girl masturbator "

Which one of you fuckers was this?

props for voila and birds though, especially voila.

and if you were not forced at gunpoint and just asked nicely?

>Tickets to their nearest gig sold out in minutes
music for this feel?

is More Than The Fairy coming out on another release?

NO ONE EVER COMES TO NORTH CAROLINA

swans did, and boris a week later

They should have just stopped in 2014.

nah

Listening to nldw arrouses the fu ck out of me

I think this band is probably more interesting now than ever before, even if I didn't love Bottomless Pit, it's hard to fault them for an album when it executes very well what it set out to do. I genuinely think that what they've been making starting NLDW and forward has been far more interesting than their first 2 efforts.

>tfw they will fucking never, ever come to finland or sweden
fuck living here in mongolialand

It's the cover art, isn't it

>I wish 5D became a whole song with chord progression, vocals etc. and I was really disappointed when it ended not even a minute in.
youtube.com/watch?v=p3j2NYZ8FKs
Here you go

I'm still hoping they release a second 2016 album

Kek I meant like a DG song, but thanks anyway

I will never understand the "NotM is their best album" opinion.

I sounds like Zach felt the need to prove that he was a great drummer so he made a bunch of tracks that were more about technicality than good songwriting, and it just sounds like a mess. It's still a decent album, but only because of Ride writing some good hooks.

its their most unique

That doesn't make it a good album. I don't think too many people would consider Lulu as Metallica's best work despite it being their most unique. Besides, with the exception of TMS and BP all of DG's releases have a slightly different style, not just NotM.

What about it sounds like a mess? It sounds like constructed chaos.

I don't feel like the chaos really brings anything to the music except make it messy. Maybe if they used it in a way that made it seem frantic (like a Dillinger Escape Plan album for example) but Ride is relatively laid back for most of them album and it doesn't mix well.

They really would have but the whole point of putting NOTM and JD together as a double album is that they don't fit together well

>I sounds like Zach felt the need to prove that he was a great drummer

I'll take 'What is hella?" for $400 alex

how is that the debt

>Up My Sleeves
>No Love
>Three Bedrooms
>The Fever
>The Powers That B
>Say Hey Kid
>Ring a Bell
>Voila
>Get Got
>Artificial Death in the West

Exactly, he's already proven it. Why the need to re-prove it in a style of music less suited to instrumental technicality?

> is that they don't fit together well

I don't get anything out of that, and doesn't feel like either album enhances the overall full pieces. If GP and NOTM on the other hand were grouped together, they would come together into something much stronger than what they were individually able to achieve.

Different fella here, been keeping up with the conversation and I don't think he's trying to prove anything considering he's said in the beginning for him DG was about relaxing on drums and not trying to be in the forefront. But The Powers That B is my favorite album by them and I prefer Niggas to Jenny and here's why:

It's their most psychedelic with GP being right behind it, and I love that. It begins with their best opener for me and when the first verse slams into the speakers, it comes in with Bjork's voice heavily delayed and it's so spacey yet it's so classically DG-aggressive and hard hitting. I can imagine that there are probably three layers of Zach's V-drums, he definitely didn't not do this whole album with one track and one take of drums, but his hectic playing of samples instead of completely just drums on the album translates into beautifully layered and dense songs. There are lot of things to pick up on instrumentally with this album. It also has my favorite Ride lyrics, as in more into long-winded lyrics, and his lines on NotM remind me a lot of Mars Volta. At the time of released all we had ever really heard from Ride was his aggressive yelling and screaming so it was really refreshing and kind of amazing to hear him dodo deferent things with his voice and become even more aberrant without getting louder but instead by going "rah rah rah fuck" or "maybe I belong to you." They messed with 7/8 time signatures on Fuck Me Out and I love that. This album is very progressive. They're great musicians and that shows on this album and it did with Andy's bass playing on On GP, he does some impressive fills during the end jam. I'd like to see them do more of that kind of musically impressive stuff.

So yeah, basically NotM hits all of the sweet spots of what I love in an album for me. When I first heard it I thought it was their masterpiece so far and it sucked to see everyone really dislike the album when it first came out.

They are opposing forces. Two completely different interpretations of the same concepts (e.g. Sleeves and On GP), at the opposite far ends of the group's musical spectrum, as a way of deliberately challenging genre and how a band is meant to operate.
One is the most abstract, cryptic, forward-thinking and conceptual approach possible, the other is the most literal, retro-influenced, sprawling emotional approach possible, and they are bundled together as one release. It forces the audience to consider what marks them out as different, while also being a statement that DG themselves view them as equal.

In no order:
>Hacker
>I Want It I Need It
>Billy Not Really
>Takyon
>Culture Shock
>Pss Pss
>Known For It
>Punk Weight
>Lil Boy
>I'm Overflow

>On GP
>Come Up and Get Me
>Up My Sleeves
>Hacker
>Eh
>Spread Eagle Cross the Block
>Artificial Death in the West
>No Love
>Pss Pss
>Voila

Lol why does it matter if others don't as long as you do?

>best album cover

I'm seeing them in Santa ana, making the seeing them to not seeing them ratio 2:5.
(no show to all Chicago dates, ended up seeing them when they did the full tour last year)

>Say hey kid
>Billy not really
>Double helix
>Come up and get me
>No love
>On GP
>Get Got
>Voila
>The fever
>Two heavens

>Pss Pss
>World of Dogs
"Devour the hand, spit out the leash" is my favorite DG line of all time.
>Lil Boy
>The Fever
>I Break Mirrors With my Face in the United States
>Birds
>Up My Sleeves
>Three Bedrooms in a Good Neighborhood
>Hot Head
>Turned Off

>MERICA MERICA NOW I'M COMING AFRICA
what did he mean by this?

>tfw swans went to your country the first time in 30 years.
>tfw that club hosts patrishows
You can make it lad

What's the deal behind this track?
youtube.com/watch?v=c3tyNjJzuIM
Is this really Andy?
Where can I find more like this?

I'll see you there...

youtube.com/watch?v=fcI5rNR5TGM

Bruh that's where Moogfest is, which had one of the most incredible lineups I've seen in a whils

1. Artificial Death in The West
2. On GP
3. No Love
4. Big Dipper
5. Up My Sleeves
6. The Powers that B
7. Billy Not Really
8. The Fever
9. You Might Think...
10. Three Bedrooms in a Good Neighborhood

NO PARTICULAR ORDER
1. Up my sleeves
2. No love
3. Inanimate sensa5iob
4. Hacker
5. On gp
6. Black quarterback
7. Fuck who's watching
8. Takyon
9. Hot Head
10. Spikes

>When you burned the only fucking bridge that would get you a room in new york for the show

A failed experiment with a successful experiment?

>big house
>anne bonny
>artificial death in the west
>bass rattle stars out the sky
>takyon
>klink
>i'm overflow
>full moon
>get got
>voila

Why do people like Pss Pss?

cause it feels like ride is pissing in my ears

Anyone here looking a ticket to the Dublin show? I bought on before they announced the Belfast one.

one*

what an asshole

this is how I like to see the albums

I know that feel, fellow finno-ugric mongol.
Sincerely, - Eesti

Still not the biggest fan of the "eh" vid

I liked it, better than the GGPBI video for sure

This is the most accurate chart yet ;)

>I really, really wish that the hook on Ring A Bell didn't sound so much like pop, because I really enjoy the rest of the song.

There's nothing wrong with sounding poppy if it's interesting. The chorus guitar is catchy and fun but also sort of weird and unsettling. It sounds like a tormented voice in a nightclub from hell.

>I honestly didn't like anything after Have A Sad Cum BB on NOTM, everything after that track sounds like a re-hashing of earlier songs. The Bjork sampling also gets really fucking repetitive at this point.

I disagree. NotM starts with the explosive yet cold Up My Sleeves which is lumbering, while Billy Not Really and Black Quarterback are really danceable. Say Hey Kid is where they start with the glitchy hollow feeling drums and the only element that really repeats itself on the last three tracks. However, the last three are all different and the Bjork samples never really feel repetitive to me. I think of NotM as taking place in this dreary black and white world where the only sounds are the ones programmed onto Zach's v-drums acting as instruments instead of samples. Fuck Me Out is incredibly creepy and insane, Voila is schizophrenic and rhythmic, while Big Dipper has some of the weirdest lyrics Ride has ever written delivered with impeccable flow and rhyming. Also, it has the greatest ending meltdown to any album ever.

>I wish Ride would scream vocals more than he does because it sounds okay-tier when he just talks them out

I really love his understated deliveries desu, sometimes even more than his screaming. Songs like Eh, Trash, and a lot of NotM has his quiet registers shining through. I think his quieter vocals are creepy yet soothing, if that makes sense. The fact that the same quiet voice you hear is also capable of blowing out a speaker just adds to the creepiness.

Anyone going to see them in Belfast in Oct?

Got the Belfast tickets, Dublin sold out on payday which was a bummer

amazing

Can someone rec me more music like Hot Head?

i'd put dg ep in okay, and bp in great but pretty good list

>blah blah blah fuck wah wah wah fuck

mc ride is a lyrical genius

Agreed, he can't hold a candle to Tyler Joseph!

youtube.com/watch?v=7aG2u7e-Kx8

thanks

FUCK

I bought tickets for the London show @ Village Underground (18th).

But now they're selling tix for the Roundhouse, which I think I'd prefer much more (been there before and it was awesome.)

Is there any chance of me selling my current tix? My name's printed on them, so I though no... but people online/on the Facebook group are.

What do?

>No Love
>Pss Pss
>Beware
>Eh
>Hustle Bones
>On GP
>Hunger Games
>Known For It
>Punk Weight
>Death Grips (Next Grips)
>Lost Boys

Can't wait for this, it's so much more exciting now that I don't have to go to Dublin. Wish it was in the Ulster Hall though.

Australian tour when?

fuck off with the jenny hate, faggot

I wish their albums had better mastering. I know they're going for a gritty and sometimes lo-fi sound but everything they've done absolutely shreds my ears. More electronic or 808-based stuff like TMS or NLDW should sound crisp, not brick walled and flat

>Ride is relatively laid back
this is what makes it good

Maybe it would if the rest of the music suited it, like on Artificial Death in the West or Eh, but as I said it doesn't mix well with the busyness of the instrumentation.

>3 closers
>2 openers
heh

I've found that if you begin with Niggas on the Moon and rotate it and Jenny Death every other song, so that the tracks go in order like this
>Up My Sleeves
>I Break Mirrors With My Face
>Billy Not Really
>etc.

and listen to them together like that, it flows together incredibly nicely. try it out sometime Sup Forums

it's like you didn't even read my post and are now just repeating what i responded to

sounds interesting desu, but i can't see how Big Dipper would flow with onGP and Centuries of Damn

nevermind, it wouldn't because jenny has 2 tracks more than notm. It would probably flow right int CoD istead of breaking te

lol fag

Well I'm not sure what your post is trying to say then. You just say "laid back ride is what makes it good" and nothing else. There isn't much else apart from what I've already said to respond to that.