/prod/ - Music Production General

buying reaper edition

Learn how to ask yourself, "Why?"

>clyp.it for WIPs
>soundcloud for getting called a fag for not going to soundcloud threads.

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles and stuff
pastebin.com/jew3GPCZ

>/prod/ wiki - looking for contributors (wink, wink)
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Sup Forumssic_Production_Wiki

>Discord, which is probably siphoning off all the /prod/ lurkers
discord.gg/pGQCF

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/5ji3ecwu
clyp.it/vplcsg4t
youtube.com/watch?v=fSnzCWA_JWI
clyp.it/4fjaocfs
clyp.it/10mu1ukq
youtube.com/watch?v=kGDhHxgY6uo
clyp.it/p0h2kkvg
youtube.com/watch?v=0GGqbRz2bzQ&index=1&list=PL5043AyBZbI444Y6ki3YfYvaoc8j-6_SF
clyp.it/m1fqvyj0
clyp.it/lvsuok5p
clyp.it/3vwwf5vb
youtube.com/watch?v=eHn48b7iWF0
youtube.com/watch?v=H0lyZBacWu8
youtube.com/watch?v=BhUGLNbuIVw
clyp.it/pcqnx0c1
youtu.be/APYVz6x5l2I
youtu.be/iMQzcufkToI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

death grips sucks

second for death grips are good

death grips copied saul williams

how do I copy Death Grips?

all these DAW's are so expensive

I hope I don't save up and get the wrong one

clyp.it/5ji3ecwu

Open to suggestions.

they all have trials versions

ctrl+c

bump

What daw would you guys rec for experimental electronic/idm production?

So I'm new to hardware synths and all and I've really been wanting to get myself a modular rack or something like that.
How do I go about that? Using the most affordable things you could think of.

>
/prod/ites get in here!

>affordable
>modular rack

Ableton, but honestly choose the one you like the feel of most, Ableton is suitable for autists like me

clyp.it/vplcsg4t

Any suggestions? I'm planning on adding more percussion and variation to the kick.

Well, maybe that's too much for a first one, but what kind of hardware synth is best quality for money in your opinion user?

youtube.com/watch?v=fSnzCWA_JWI

So this demo really made me want to pick up the MS-20

Seems like a good deal to me, for the money. The baseline and arp patches had me sold.

Is this and the FL one the only ones so far?

>always remember- whatever you're doing is ideal for getting what you've got
This. I've got a beginner mate who's constantly asking me for a correct way to do anything, and doesn't believe me when I tell him that "it depends".

how is this?

clyp.it/4fjaocfs

So loud

LATEST SERUM VERSION CRACK WHEN

THE LAST ONE HAS A TIMEBOMB AND ALL MY USER MADE PRESETS ARE DELETED IF I REGRESS TO AN EARLIER VERSION

REE CRACKTEAMS REEEEEEEEE

Whats a good laptop for production? I have a 2010 Asus ROG G60JX and its fast enough but the small resolution is killing me. I also refuse to buy apple products.

Whats your budget?

~800 USD

wip clyp.it/10mu1ukq

what should i do with this?

Throw it away and pound my boi pucci

ok thanks il do that 4 sure
wonderfull help

>Is this and the FL one the only ones so far?

No. There's like 4 in all. Guy in the Discord makes them.

Almost wanted to try remaking this:

youtube.com/watch?v=kGDhHxgY6uo

Dunno where to even begin with those synths. Skrillex based god, how does he do it? What shit does he even use (especially for those retarded female voices) in his songs?

wow that was dog shit

those are samples on the female lead

calm your white noise and bring out the gran turismo menu sound at the end of the phrases (it actually sounds really nice)

i posted this in yesterday's thread but didn't get any feedback. i added drums and some other shit. any /prod/ suggestions?
clyp.it/p0h2kkvg

Lmao I'm just playin. Sound great dude although im at work and I listened to it on my phone speaker so I can't really give advice. It would sound like a dope ass hip-hop beat if slowed down. Good job bro Keep it up

Auto tune, resampling and Shit. Sounds like he just pitched up her vocals and cut it up

Me and buddy recorded a really quick cover (like REALLY quick) and I mixed it on reaper myself. I'm just getting into mixing so I'm a complete beginner but could anyone give me any feedback (mainly criticism) on this?

youtube.com/watch?v=0GGqbRz2bzQ&index=1&list=PL5043AyBZbI444Y6ki3YfYvaoc8j-6_SF

forgot the link oops

Stalk ebay until you find a sub 800 dollar rack mount waldorf q. Its digital, so if you have a hard on for analog its not for you.

- knobby
- 16 voice
- wavetable synth that massive was based on
- 4 audio outs
- FM and robust mod matrix.

Oops i thought u were the want a synth guy.

I use an MSI laptop.

>asking me for a correct way to do anything, and doesn't believe me when I tell him that "it depends".

That's partly the fault of the title "Audio Engineering", where historically it WAS an engineering discipline, with RULES godammit.

With the exception of stuff like wiring standards, signal levels for different media and broadcast formats, and the acoustics knowledge base that is all still easily quantifiable, audio engineering is now a predominantly creative endeavour, so "it depends" is my reply to most things now too.

It's also a kind of wishful-thinking too - in the hope that there is a list of single-option techniques you need to learn before you can do anything in the field (Sidechain it!).

Can't blame people for hoping that it is this way but I do feel that it does cheapen the craft part of the process when people behave like that.

I get what you're saying, and the technical side of recording, for example, is still governed by what physics dictate, but he's asking about creative decisions.
Like, "should I pan my hats to the right?" and then I'm "well, it depends, do you want the hats panned to the right?".
Followed by "but how do pros do it?"
Argh.

Yeah it's frustrating - when Joe Meek started working at Landsdowne Studio the engineers there built locked boxes around all of the signal processing gear they had because they reckoned he was abusing it by changing settings to get a more personalized sound, not saying that his sound was always great but he was at the start of that creative vs logical battle helping to push stuff on and make stuff evolve.

Before his days you probably could say "yeah this is how you EQ drums and this is how you compress vocals", but surely your mate has listened to modern records and noticed by themselves that hihats are never always in the same place, even when the same "pro" mixes them?

That said - it depends on what "pro" your friend picks. Some mainstream shit will definitely be derived from templates and laziness will kick in with that stuff leading to only minor changes, but it doesn't make the template "correct".

T'was rude, apologies.

Serum is $10 a month now. You pay for it until you own it. It is the same price as normal, and you get to use it while you pay for it.

bump

repostan

Anyone have some knowledge about those "Rack Synthesizers" like the Roland D-110 or Yamaha FB-01? They're going fucking cheap on Reverb and eBay.

>tfw can't find any CZ-101's being sold on eBay or "local" Craigslist

i have a few rack synths. love em. gonna go check out reverb rn

and buy a microkorg-- its basically a cz101

hows the korg electribe and electribe sampler

Wtfffffff my ableton library disappeared!!## I pressed alt f and then after that everything disappeared. No audio effects, no midi effects wtf man?? Help please !!!!

I hate the fact that I have so much running in my head and have no idea how to produce it since I barely have any ability with FL

When I compose for orchestra its so much easier aaaahhhhhhhh why does it have to be so complicated.

watch those vocal peaks bud

I dunno, I try have fun
clyp.it/m1fqvyj0

Never mind fixed it. Scared the shit outta me

>clyp.it/m1fqvyj0

>sample babby

I am a sample babby but for this track the only samples are the vocals

the oberheim matrix 1000 is a CHEAP 6 voice analog rack synth. Its got a really retro sound, with 1000 retro 80s patches.

It sucks dick to program (you need to use a software editor if you don't want to kill yourself), but the price is right. (don't pay 400 fucking dollars though like morons on ebay try to get). I got mine for 175 USD.

sounds good for making Stranger Things-core

Your laptop is already twice as good as the one I use, you would just stick with yours and save your money my dude, or spend it on something more interesting.

Okay so is there any way to edit like a normal DAW with reaper? as in you can actually cut where you want?

Can any synth people explain to me why I would want to choose a hardware synth over a software synth with a midi keyboard?

I'm new to all this and I can't understand paying $1000 for a vintage analog synth, instead of buying a vst of that synth and a midi keyboard for a fraction of the price.

Live usage (not necessarily on a stage)
Moderately better sound
Something to spend cash on

Midi keyboard is probably the best start.

Well I mean I'd consider a good sound system along with a decent sub woofer much more important than a hardware synth. But a lot of the time they simply have sounds that can't be obtained with a VST. Sometimes they can be irresistible.

clyp.it/lvsuok5p

I actually figured out how to make it so that samples don't play over each other in FL studio. Click sampler, go to misc tab, and set polyphony to 1. Also It's possible to change the volume and pitch envelope of the sample in there. Pretty neat stuff. Also, Fruity slicer will cut up breaks into individual hits for you, saving a lot of time.

>67098509
fookin a when I export it the polyphony fucks it up.

clyp.it/3vwwf5vb

fixed, sounds so much better!

'aesthetics and authenticity' if you're someone who has money and appreciates physicality

How do you go from this....
youtube.com/watch?v=eHn48b7iWF0

To this
youtube.com/watch?v=H0lyZBacWu8

Sort of crazy how the oldschool jungle sound really requires some sort of sampling technique probably created by technical limitations creating that weird jungle break sound. It sounds so good, it's hard to tell if I'm blinded by nostalgia or what.

At least I think it's technical limitations. Probably because the sampler couldn't handle large files so they had to be compressed, but I'm not sure.

>tfw parents bought me reaper for my bday when I already pirated logic months ago

How is reaper btw

Speaking of Reaper octamed seems cool at least to play around with. I wonder if FL Studio can reproduce the sort of compressed oldschool sound. I can tell you the time stretching sounds like proper shit.

>vintage analog synth
see there's your vintage anal-log synth

That thing looks like shit to program

It is truly awful. But with a software editor, you at least feel like you are using a VST from 1992.

Still. Damn thing comes with 1000 patches that sound like they belong on any 1980s pop song. Would be great for you retro-vaporwave type guys.

Mostly for novelty. but They do make nice sounds that are hard to emulate on virtual synths. Its also really nice not to have to use a mouse and be able to use your hands when making synths which personally for me makes me creative

simbly ebic

>spend two days trying to learn about sound design through subtractive synths and put my learning to the test by trying to replicate a particular sound
>get so close, yet so far

Hate that feel. Would be even worse if it's just a matter that I can't possibly recreate that particular sound with my synth with only two oscillators, and I'm just not aware of it. I could literally spend the whole week trying to recreate it and I wouldn't know it's straight-up impossible with what I have. Fug.

Sound design requires purely recreational thought if it's to really create a sound that's long lasting. At least that's what I think.

and cracked versions

I get you and I agree 100%. I have no intention of using that replica sound for a track, it's just something I'd like to accomplish. It would be a sign that I know what I'm doing, that I understand how subtractive synths work. That's the only reason why I'm doing that exercise.

That would be productive however you never know what that lesson will end up enabling you to do. I guess, follow your heart.

Part of this requires developing the skill of careful listening. It takes concentration to identify the various layers that were used in building up complex sounds, for instance.

The producer often has gone to great lengths to fool the listener into thinking they are hearing one big ass snare drum sound, or one powerful bassline- but really they are made up of several discrete layers- each serving a purpose in the frequency range or over time. After awhile you will be able to separate these out in your mind.

I'm not really sure about this, despite the awesome ability to layer most of my favorite songs are pretty simple. Hopfully genres will continue to mix and mash and flavors will be tried, and styles refined, for as long as time goes on. Hopefully there will be a general forward direction as there clearly was say from 500-1860ish. But only time will tell.

anybody have any tips for setting up gated drums to get that 80s sound?

here's a prime example of the sound I'm trying to achieve

youtube.com/watch?v=BhUGLNbuIVw

>add reverb
>add gate

done

You're probably correct.
Have you looked at Decimort before? Check it out.

>keep making 4 bar loops
>never turn them into full songs
anyone familiar with this feel?

sounds like the kick was decreased by about 5 semitones + eq

You have no idea. I'll start a session and end up with like 20 different 4 bar loops

who /poorfag/ here

i compose and master all my shit on sennheiser hd 215 + built-in sound card

interesting, lol

currently making 1st fl stuff too

Yo, not terrible.

Did you record the synth parts with a computer keyboard?

If you post yours, don't delete it like that dude did. No sense in being embarrassed on a Laotian women's floor hockey messageboard

>want to record a catchy song, even have several ideas and instrumentals but my english isn't good enough to do it

>be me
>be conservatory musician
>want to make "good" and intricate music for a large audience to maybe help the music industry not be so shit
>can't sing
>normies don't tend to listen to anything without voice
>sigh

okay here what I have done so far

I'm probably going to scrap it but keep the melody since its really good.

clyp.it/pcqnx0c1

Almost all oldskool jungle was made using just a hardware sampler as the only instrument and a couple of outboard effects and compressors. A lot of the early samplers (akai s950's) were quite a low sample rate 12bit. Most samplers back then only had a few seconds of sample time and could only save 1.44mb (floppy disk) of samples so these two factors played a major part in the sound of early jungle. One trick to get more sample time was to resample stuff at a lot higher pitch so the samples were really high pitched and short and then pitch them back down once saved into the sampler. This technique had quite a large effect on the sound. I used to record all my samples to cassette and then resample them back into my emu sampler by holding the play and fast forward button on the cassette player, then cut them up and pitch them down.

youtu.be/APYVz6x5l2I

anyone familiar with this feel?
Yep that's all I've been doing for the last 15 years.
Feels good senpai

>What's your best bit of studio advice?
Don't mash your ears up.

Also
youtu.be/iMQzcufkToI

I'm wondering if I should make a separate Soundcloud account where I could post music that I put actual effort in (guitar, vocals, stuff like that) as opposed to the crappy "electronic" music that I will make in an hour and that even I don't like.

Also, the name that I have for my current Soundcloud account is really dumb and not in tune with the semi-sappy ass indie trash type music that I want to make in the future. It'll still have electronic elements but the name doesn't fit

Of course, the old account has like 10 followers who aren't even real it wouldn't even be a noticed switch

TL;DR: Should I just change my name and maybe hide old crap on old account or get separate account for new stuff and let the old one lie as is

>as opposed to the crappy "electronic" music that I will make in an hour and that even I don't like.
Why do people feel the need to shit up the Internet with all their crap? So you obviously put a lot of effort (a whole hour of your time) into the making of some "crappy" music and then have the sudden urge to share it with other people. Am I missing something here?