/grimes/

Discuss the talented and lovely Canadian artist Claire Boucher (aka Grimes).

Leave your opinion on her music.
- What are your thoughts on Medieval Warfare?
- How and when did you find out about her?
- She's only playing at festivals for the rest of her tour. Anyone catching any of these?
- Who would you like to see her collab with?
- Rank/rate her albums
- Post your 10 favorite Grimes songs

>best
>runner-up
>worst
>underrated
>overrated

Video of the day: youtube.com/watch?v=Hr-icab6q3M

Keep it music related, and be nice to Grimes!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iRgLhEGEetc&index=6&list=PLlvYYNbemh98ZhOBmmtSKnZKhiXd-Ed2Q
pitchfork.com/news/67500-grimes-noah-40-shebib-imagine-dragons-curate-nba-2k17-soundtrack/
grimes-claireboucher.tumblr.com/post/140857883740/grimes-the-happy-reader-winter-2015
youtube.com/watch?v=fi2N5KHgO80
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WordOfGod)
youtube.com/watch?v=7i8pWbTKAps
nerdist.com/rock-out-with-ian-mcgintys-welcome-to-showside-playlist-exclusive/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Someone deleted the previous thread even if it had actual music discussion. WHY?

im pretty sure grimes would cringe if she saw any of these threads made by you obsessive troglodytes

it had basically no musical discussion
"hey what music sounds like grimes?"
"lol honestly bro literally nothing forreal she is super unique~~~"

do you think if im in the front row dancing like a moron to every show she plays for a tour or two that she'll notice?

>not being grimes but assuming she would think like him
Cringe!

reposting :^) early grimes

youtube.com/watch?v=iRgLhEGEetc&index=6&list=PLlvYYNbemh98ZhOBmmtSKnZKhiXd-Ed2Q

It had musical discussion. Last time it was about old new age music kinda similar to her music. Shut up if you don't know what I'm talking about.

why does she have disgusting boobs?

I tried posting up a female musician general thread and it got deleted after 3 replies like what the hell is going on?

why do you have a disgusting set of manners?

It's a drunk misogynistic janitor on command.

mods are severe misogynists

You disgust me.

welcome to the internets

Explain this paradox: if the Grimesfans post here, the trolls are butthurt. If they post in other threads, the trolls are also butthurt and send the fans to the "containment thread" aka this thread. Make up your mind you fuckers and stop sucking dicks: which one is which?

mods hate women, so whenever people post grimes (a successful producer who is blazing new trails in representation), they feel threatened and purge the threads to re-establish a feeling of control.

it's actually kind of sad. luckily us grimes fans cannot be beat by these pitiful grasps at straws.

>why does she have disgusting boobs?

they looks nice as in Venus de Milo

explain to me how I am wrong

The Grimes threads are actually an old tradition on these boards at this point. They're the most interesting part of this disgusting board.

I literally can't think of any other reasons then these. I specifically used the words "album" "musicians" "singles" and "genre"
According to the sticky, I am well in line with the rules of posting on Sup Forums
My thread was more than "vaguely music related"

Fucking bitch mods.

Somebody give me the latest megapack of Grimes photos please

Strangely they let those awful Lavren threads to stay, which are way worse than anything on Sup Forums.

Because you are wrong.

wrong? here's a short laundry list off the top of my head:

1.) Unwarranted comments on another person's body (this is a thread to discuss Grimes' music. take the waifufaggotry and other disrespectful nonesense to 2ch or /s/)
2.) Literally nobody here brings up her body unless they are expressly shitposting in an attempt to rile up the haters and mods who look for any excuse to hate this place
3.) No one cares about your stupid negative opinion on claire's bosom. To reiterate a sub point, this isn't the place for that. I don't want to read that kind of disgusting ill-mannered garbage in my comfy thread.

This is a place to discuss Grimes as an art project as a whole, but it is NOT your personal dump where you can just pass your stupid judgements that nobody here wants.

Cease your posting.

I just got roasted

Yeah I have NO idea why they let those stay. I think Lauren is cute as much as the next guy, but those OPs wouldn't even use one music related word in those Lauren shitpost threads sometimes

pretty good

on a forum in 2011. the song was crystal ball

- She's only playing at festivals for the rest of her tour. Anyone catching any of these?
no.

underworld

- Rank/rate her albums
geidi primes - 9
halfaxa - 8
visions - 10
darkbloom - 8
art angels - 9

rosa
realiti
be a body
symphonia ix
circumambient
weregild
vanessa
artangels
nightmusic
oblivion

It's just tragic what happens in Lavren threads. Hopefully she will never see those threads ever again after that incident.

/offtopic

I recently listened to a song off of Halfaxa on a really nice Harmon Kardon speaker with superb low end bass and holy shit.

Previously the nicest speakers I've listened to it on is my Sony MDR5s, and god damn. There was so much bass on the song it was actually really interesting how much was missing.

I completely forgot the name of the song but it was nothing but heavy bass all the way through. Almost drowned out the track. Almost.

>What are your thoughts on Medieval Warfare?
worse than Go
>How and when did you find out about her?
people on Sup Forums bitching about what a terrible artist she was, ensuring that I had to see what all the fuss was about
>She's only playing at festivals for the rest of her tour. Anyone catching any of these?
not me
>Who would you like to see her collab with?
Lady Gaga
>Rank/rate her albums
Halfaxa > Art Angels > Geidi Primes > Visions > Darkbloom
>Post your 10 favorite Grimes songs
Genesis
Oblivion
Eight
Weregild
Feyd Rautha Dark Heart
REALiTi (demo)
Kill v. Maim
Belly of the Beat
Vanessa
California

Visions is too low, my friend. Any reasons for that?

I'm curious how it sounds Symphonia IX on your system...

God I was so embarrassed that she found out about that one thread and everybody in the internet press was reporting on it. Like Lauren sweetie, do you not realize that we're just loser edge lords here? Of course you can have your hair wet and dance however you in a video. Jesus Christ.

Eh. I'm not a super big fan of the singing and the lyrics. I like the beat tho!

In 2012 I first found out about her and thought she was hipster shit. For some reason I thought that she got her name as a term of endearment for always being dirty (the only picture I had seen of her had her fingers looking dirty and her hair was greasy).

Listened to the Baardsen remix of Oblivion last summer and was blown away. Then I watched the Oblivion single on Youtube in like, October. Then it was a few months and I saw Kill V. Maim posted on Reddit watched that. Finally really got into her after watching the California single.

Unfortunately, no. I would really like to follow one of her tours from start to end one year, though.

MC Ride. She's one of my favorite producers, but not so much vocalists. I think it would be an interesting duo, as Ride and Grimes are semi-similar, but at the same time polar opposite people.

- Rank/rate her albums
Pretty much everything is a 9 or a 10. She's just THAT good to my ears.

I don't do favorites.

Super into Omega and Hallways though.

Did you miss this piece of news?

“NBA 2K17,” the next installment of 2K’s long-running basketball series, is out on all major gaming platforms September 20. Today, the studio has announced that Grimes, Drake collaborator Noah “40” Shebib, and Imagine Dragons have curated the game’s soundtrack. The 50-song playlist includes plenty of October Very’s Own tracks (from Drake, PARTYNEXTDOOR, Majid Jordan, and more), Grimes’ “Kill V. Maim” from Art Angels, and more. Stream most of the “NBA 2K17” soundtrack below. Scroll down to see a poster for it, which features Grimes alongside basketball players.

pitchfork.com/news/67500-grimes-noah-40-shebib-imagine-dragons-curate-nba-2k17-soundtrack/

Has she ever done any voiceover work for the Alvin and the Chipmunks films? I'm pretty sure I've heard her voice in some of the musical numbers.

People are evil. Except Grimes.

Was featured on a soundtrack, being featured on a game now. Our little Claire is getting big...

i think the problem is there's an inverse relationship between time spent on the internet and how seriously people take it.

for a normie like lavren, she can't help but feel disgusted at reading the posts here. for someone like grimes though, she's weirded out by them, but she's not really budged by people being weirdo creeps. we're talking about the person who laughed at death and rape threats.

tho its a different story if it's a journalist writing some stupid article taking her words out of context. that actually negatively affects her.

But she's still talented and quirky and awkward and relatable. Nobody could take that from her.

the bigger she grows the more and more your appreciation for her art gets drowned out in the clamoring of fans.

eventually she'll be entirely desensitized to it and she won't even care.

assuming she doesn't like, have a critical meltdown. but claire doesn't strike me as the kind of person to explode like Brittany Spears. as long as james is around, she'll be fine and making delicious tracks for a long time I think.

I sure hope so. People who have been here since 2009 or so have commented that after Annie started to get big after Strange Mercy that she started to become more pretentious and rough sounding in interviews. Like she had lost her innocent and adorable girl next door vibe.

Not to mention that some NIN/Coil lyrics are way more life shattering than these puny shitposts.

I actually want her to be as known as possible. All the big legends (Kate Bush, Bjork, David Bowie, Prince, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, etc) are also very popular, so if Grimes wants to be on that list, she should gain a lot of popularity based on her great music.

Oh yeah, no definitely. I want the whole world to laude her as number 1.

In 30 years I want her death to result in the opening of the "Grimes" vault to petabytes of unreleased material, to much clamor like Princes' death.

To paraphrase Honky Tonk Badonkadonk:

"Hate to see her leave, but love to watch her go."

Grimes sometime also sounds like overconfident corporate woman, after AA release.

>overconfident corporate woman
what does that even mean?
>overconfident
there's no such thing so long as you have the skills to back it up (hot tip: she does)
>corporate woman
difference from corporate man being?

besides that, she is the CEO of 3 companies at last tally. I should certainly hope she comes off as queen bitch.

Because she fucking is. You gotta problem? you can get the fuck out of the way, like arbutus and her disloyal friends in montreal. The world is her oyster.

That's her strategy. The days of her being a naive artist are long gone...

>G: I’m really interested in reading about military leaders in general. If you can convince people to die for you, how do you do that? That’s really interesting to me. When you end up being in a position like I am, where suddenly you have the ability to manipulate large groups of people at once, it’s very stressful, so I’ve spent a lot of time researching other people in this position.

>A: And what have you figured out?

>G: You can’t use complex arguments. The face-value level has to be there, even in terms of how you hold yourself. I always watch videos of politicians giving speeches. They make eye contact. If you do that kind of thing, that’s the best way to grab an audience. It’s drastically changed my show. It’s made it a lot better. Feigning confidence is the number one important thing. Never express weakness. It goes badly every time...

>G: [...] You have to spin everything into something that feels positive. Semiotics are really important. Visuals are really important. Instagram is so much more effective. Words can be taken out of context, but a picture is a picture. Think about a lot of the great leaders– or not necessarily great, but powerful. They always had really extreme aesthetics. Genghis Khan. Mussolini. I’m not pro-fascist, but people really respond to aesthetics...

>A: Has thinking about all this stuff made you see the artists you admire in a new light?

>G: So many of the artists I admire reference the aesthetics of power… The idea of a pop star is kind of replacing the idea of the religious icon or the political figure… And most of the biggest pop stars use a lot of the same tactics...

grimes-claireboucher.tumblr.com/post/140857883740/grimes-the-happy-reader-winter-2015

I know it is not fully true but she can be sort of "dry" too.
It is mostly based on this:

youtube.com/watch?v=fi2N5KHgO80

I personally hate this interview so much

dude she is literally a fucking fascist megalomaniac sociopath lmao

Holy fuck Claire is ready to take over the world, and I'm ok with this.

>I for one, welcome our new queen overlord.

last thread was deleted by NSA/CIA/FSB when we started to figure out how things really are. Please no more question, value your life.

As she said here she doesn't express weakness. She wants to have control of how she's perceived. That's way she said she made herself ugly on purpose about 20% of time in another interview: nobody could shame her for being her.

lol holy shit you're retarded. MAYBE it's because these threads are literally just celebrity worship threads that have virtually nothing to do with music

>That's way she said she made herself ugly on purpose about 20% of time

She needs to put more effort

There are discussions about her music and life, plus sharing pics (we're on image board). FYI, talking about an artist's life is still music discussion.

only when the haters interrupt it and poison the threads.

we've had lots of music discussion, even breaking down the structure of Grimes' songs to discuss their complexity when left to our own devices.

Unfortunately women haters like you and the mods refuse to let that happen, so you troll the threads knowing that we are just as happy to call you out on it... much to our own chagrin.

you know, i'm pretty sure there is a place where all you fragile unique and enlightened precious snowflakes would fit in and feel more comfortable... its called tumblr. grimes actually has one too!! see, it's already appealing, huh?

>women haters like you
jesus christ. how could you honestly believe that the only reason why people wouldn't like grimes is because she's a woman? that has nothing to do with anything. it's just a pathetic strawman

>tring to push aside the grimes fans
No pal. You'll have to deal with us, "fragile unique and enlightened precious snowflakes".

Why else would you hate a producer who consistently makes excellent work to rave reviews from a plethora of critics, both mainstream and indie?

there's also a place where you fragile autistic man babies who throw tantrums when people call you out on your stupid ass behavior can go to be edgy and spew stupid opinions in an echo chamber where you'll be lauded and supported by like-minded idiots and never have to be challenged. In fact, there are two places:

>Youtube
>Reddit

Wow what great choices. You'll fit right in with both crowds!

>How and when did you find out about her?
They played her song back to back on the radio, in the car that I may or may not have been masturbating in. Wrote down the lyrics so I didn't forget the song. I kept the crusty napkin I used with the words "everything everything my oh la me my mi am mo no i see" written on it as token of our beginnings.

Then tell me a legit reason why some folks hate her.

>inb4 her fanbase
This is a shitty and kindergarden level argument, so it's automatically invalid.

haters getting BTFO in this thread, holy fuck

If you do talk to her can you pretty please give her a message for me, tell her she is a goblin.

Why do Grimes threads always turn into

oh i forgot Sup Forums was feminist central for a moment, pardon me, they/them/xer

its mideval warfare user ;)

Yeah right. They're absolutely pathetic.

It's not. But we here at Sup Forums can certainly try to stop some of the misogyny that goes on here at Sup Forums

She is bulimic and besides, if she ever had a baby with some festival dude it would be vegan like her and would be happy with imitation milk.

>Why else would you hate a producer who consistently makes excellent work to rave reviews from a plethora of critics, both mainstream and indie?
first of all, there is tons of other reasons why someone would hate her. not the least of which is because she gets spammed on this board so much.

second of all,
>who consistently makes excellent work
that, my friend is a matter of opinion. once you turn 10 or so, you should become self-aware enough to learn that you can't hold other people to the standards of your own personal opinions.

lastly, i don't hate her. you guys are always trying to force this unnecessary polarization that you either love her or you hate her. it kind of makes sense because you're so hopelessly lost on the former end of the spectrum. but in reality, people have all sorts of different opinions about her. i think her music is okay. but it upsets me that assholes like you treat her like the second coming of christ.

omg I didn't even notice that haha

But isn't the painting technically depicting classical or antiquity fighting??

Sup Forums is apolitical. You'd do well to remember that, maybe next time you won't have to spend an hour in the hugbox to calms yourself down when someone who's views differ to yours challenges your indefensible bullshit.

some of her biggest fans are trolls, weight wise.

Why is she so perfect?

It's medieval warfare. Survival of the fittest.

>But we here at Sup Forums can certainly try to stop some of the misogyny that goes on here at Sup Forums

because the people who post here are willing to say whatever stupid bullshit pops into their head in order to defend their waifu

>because she gets spammed on this board so much.
But you could ignore her name. Why the fuck you haters are so triggered by her simple mention anywhere on this board? Do you secretly like her and fight against these contradicting feelings? There's some deep psychology involved here.

>not the least of which is because she gets spammed on this board so much.
The point of this general is to contain that spam in one place. That's the whole reason we take up a thread. If you see people legitimately spamming (and I do mean spamming, not just a single shitpost declaring her the best artist ever) yell at them in those threads.

It's flawed logic that you think that you are going to accomplish anything by bringing your hate to a general.

>that, my friend is a matter of opinion. once you turn 10 or so, you should become self-aware enough to learn that you can't hold other people to the standards of your own personal opinions.
I'm perfectly secure in the fact that Grimes isn't for everybody.

>lastly, i don't hate her.
then why are you wasting precious moments on this earth posting hate in this thread?

>but it upsets me that assholes like you treat her like the second coming of christ
sounds like you should listen to yourself more than I should listen to you...
>once you turn 10 or so, you should become self-aware enough to learn that you can't hold other people to the standards of your own personal opinions.

>but it upsets me that assholes like you treat her like the second coming of christ.
Why? In what way it affects you? You can't sleep at night because some anons believe that? That's pathetic.

i don't even disagree with you, but it's almost hilariously retarded that you would try to blame any criticism of her or her music on the fact that she's a woman.

worshiping pictures of her on the internet, commenting about how hot she is, what her boobs look like, and how she smells is infinitely more sexist than disliking her music.

It's an image board about musicians ffs! You are going to get comments about losing more weight if you post """curvy""" women.

>worshiping pictures of her on the internet, commenting about how hot she is, what her boobs look like, and how she smells is infinitely more sexist than disliking her music

Who do you think is posting that garbage? Here's a hint: It's not the people who actually discuss the art and not the artist. It's trolls and haters trying to make these threads look bad.

Isn't ironic that the trolls attack mostly her appearance? Ad hominem attacks all the time. They can't prove anything regarding her music.

Grimes is doing something right if she's pissing off so many "people".

you can't prove anything about her music either, without resorting to appeal to authority or appeal to masses fallacies

she's not pissing me off. you are.

it's complex music made from the gut that speaks to many people.

if that's not objectively good then you simply aren't attached to objective realiti.

Pretending for a moment that this is a serious question... no. However, based on the Word of God (tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WordOfGod)
she did come close to voicing a character in this just last year:
youtube.com/watch?v=7i8pWbTKAps

nerdist.com/rock-out-with-ian-mcgintys-welcome-to-showside-playlist-exclusive/

but it's not objectively complex music.
>that speaks to many people
that's called an appeal to masses fallacy

It's the fanbase that's passing everyone off.
That's not a good thing

why do low-lifes keep cropping the naked guys out of her sexy photos?

I want the meme to finish (all over her)

Define complex.
State the ontological and epistemological framework you have in mind when you use the word "objective".
Etc.

james is only around because she makes good live music for him to listen to, as that starts to fade she will have to do a lot of extra favours to keep him around.

actually it is.

to have enough layers to crash ableton with a 2014 mac pro? we're talking literally HUNDREDS.

>that's called an appeal to masses fallacy
i only use it because the only objective measure for good art is "Is it made from the heart?"

The Internet is a very strange beast. It's something that you often interact with in the privacy of your own home. Yet - at the same time - it is also the single largest forum for public discussion and the general dissemination of information ever created. It makes for a lot of cognitive dissonance (eg. Sup Forums.)

cringe!