/grimes/

Discuss the talented and lovely Canadian artist Claire Boucher (aka Grimes).

Leave your opinion on her music.
- What are your thoughts on Medieval Warfare?
- How and when did you find out about her?
- She's only playing at festivals for the rest of her tour. Anyone catching any of these?
- Who would you like to see her collab with?
- Rank/rate her albums
- Post your 10 favorite Grimes songs

>best
>runner-up
>worst
>underrated
>overrated

Video of the day (Outside Lands 2016): new.vk.com
/grimes?w=wall-9986050_15649

Keep it music related, and be nice to Grimes!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wv1eeMfCGkw
youtube.com/watch?v=qGLvUejoRb4
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scivias
cmj.com/in-an-altered-zone/
youtube.com/watch?v=AoDbSJ1ljbw
youtube.com/watch?v=UfvTsCr04NM
youtube.com/watch?v=c2EJMd7ZN7w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

UFC field recordings album when

Soon enough.

Where did the names of her albums come from? Do they mean anything?

Visions came from drugs, Geidi Prime is a planet in Dune, Halfaxa came from Halifax, Darkbloom came from Lolita, Art Angels means nothing

looks like we've come a full circle

>Art Angels means nothing
Wrong. It's a wordplay: archangels, art angels.

Also that planet is Giedi Prime. She changed Giedi to Geidi for some reason (a Jedi reference?).

I always thought Geidi pRIMES stood for grimes

Geidi Primes, Jedi Grimes.

;)

your thoughts on the album Full Circle by The Doors?

It's a triple pun. Geidi Primes references the planet, Grimes, and maybe the Jedi knights from Star Wars.

Full Circle by The Doors was a huge influence for Oblivion and Art Angels

>best
Visions

>runner-up
Art Angels

>worst
Darkbloom

>underrated
Geidi Primes
Halfaxa

>overrated
none

>best
Halfaxa

>runner-up
Art Angels

>worst
none

>underrated
Geidi Primes
Darkbloom

>overrated
Visions

What Grimes song had the biggest impact on you? Symphonia IX for me.

Recent interview: youtube.com/watch?v=Wv1eeMfCGkw

>Geidi Primes:
References the the main fictional planet in the sci Fi novel Dune.

>Halfaxa:
The informal name of a neighborhood somewhere in Montreal, as I understand it.

>Darkbloom:
A reference to author Vladimir Nobokov's author avatar Vivian Darkbloom from his infamous novel Lolita.

>Visions:
A reference to polymath Saint Hildegard of Bingen, whose extensive writings about the supernatural visions that she experienced throughout her life are still extensively studied today.

>Art Angels:
A reference to the quasi-supernatural forces that seem to have touched Claire's own life in her musical pursuits.

Cool post. By the way, she's a fan of Hildegard of Bingen.

- Post your 10 favorite Grimes songs
REALiTi
Circumambient
Be a Body
Flesh Without Blood
Artangels
Symphonia IX
Nightmusic
Rosa
Weregild
Oblivion

Why is Darkbloom the worst?

Because I had to pick a worst album so I picked the shortest one (an EP). Track #1 & #5 are quite unremarkable, but #2-#4 are amazing. Grimes has so much great music...

Her Ave Maria cover = instant chills: youtube.com/watch?v=qGLvUejoRb4

Incredibly beautiful.

Don't I know it. The final track on Visions (Out to/Know the Way) is also a reference to her - specifically to one of the books she wrote and illustrated (called Scivias, shortened Latin for a phrase meaning roughly "Know the Ways of the Lord") describing some of those same visions.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scivias

Yall are dumb for liking her, she's a pretentious hack, her music sucks and she's not even hot.

Thanks for the bump.

perfect personality

Cool, I didn't know that.

>unironically liking grimes

Come on, Grimes is extremely likeable.

whats the best grimes song for when youre really hungry?

SCREAM

SWEETER THAN A SUGAR CANE

Butterfly!

>Why you looking for a harmony?
>There is harmony in everything

Even in trolls.

>grimes presses a button
>it opens a portal to another dimension

is everyone who dislikes art angels depressed? because I used to hate listening to it when I was

idk, but i love it and im depressed

holy shit thats one ugly goblin

I understand why someone depressed would dislike AA. This album is pure joy.

And you're the beautiful goblin???

no im an ugly human just like the rest of you grimesfags

But you have an uglier soul.

>grimesfags dont have ugly souls
grimesfags actually believe this

Then what?

bumping this thread because it's better than the last one

Why do this.
Ignore what makes her likeable, what makes her unlikeable?

>thread is stagnant for almost an hour because no one is talking shit about her
lmao, so much for "actual music discussion" am i rite

the queen of Sup Forums

anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional

>queen

princess

A lot of me is more or less dead, and cycles between on and off in a way I can't explain concisely. I like Art Angels just fine. I also can;t recall any sense of depression I've experience that would have made -dislike- it.

>This album is pure joy.
I wouldn't say that. It's enjoyable and feels good, but it's not joyful. It's aggressive and has a sense of presence.

How is one woman so lovely?

Fucking hell, I can't even put together a sentence without omitting words and tense suffixes everywhere.

Just kill me.

It's aggressive joy if you will. It's like escaping big troubles and shouting "fuck everything!".

Agree, mostly.

maybe it's because I had listened to it before being depressed and enjoyed it a lot, and now it didn't fit my mood or whatever

world princess!

I dislike the interview where that's from a lot

Why?

she is so
F U C K I N G
C U T E
K I L L
M E

I feel like going on a dissociative / hallucinogenic journey while listening to Darkbloom. I feel myself shifting into a strange state, and moving along a strange but familiar gradient.

Not sure whether to resist or if it's needed.

That EP is very psychedelic. Especially Urban Twilight.

It's to avoid a lawsuit

Turn your brains on

Lawsuit for using the name of a fictive planet? I don't think so. Otherwise she would change also the title of her song Caladan (another fictional planet from the Dune universe).

This is pretty relateable. All my creative endeavors stem from underlying problems or misery. That's not their totality, but it is the core.

>It's to avoid a lawsuit
Yeah - probably that, and also just because Geidi Primes rhymes with Grimes:

>Her previous album was explicitly named for Dune’s post-industrial waste planet, Giedi Prime, from Frank Herbert’s iconic novel Dune (and an added “s” had the album title rhyme with Grimes).
cmj.com/in-an-altered-zone/

Pretty sure I've seen another old interview out there somewhere in which she says as much explicitly (notice that the above excerpt isn't a direct quote...)

grimes is CUTE!!! :3

Sure.

c
u
t
e

what does she mean to you, user?

is she an artist that means a lot? an inspiration that drives you? a beacon that tells you just what is possible?

or is she an object of desire? something to be lusted after, but like a lillypad floating in a pond just out of reach that when you try to reach for it you only push it away?

inspiration. she is my idol, i would never treat her as an object.

Inspiration. If she could be a successful musician starting from zero, I don't have any excuses for not trying to make my life better.

nobody really talks about it, but she really does like the simpsons a lot, doesn't she?

I wonder if that's a little bit of culture she got in Vancouver or if it was part of the culture flood in Montreal?

polar opposite, and reminder that i could have lived my life differently and could have been more happier...

I don't know anymore
I don't know why I keep visiting these threads

>i could have lived my life differently and could have been more happier...

the simpsons are popular all over westernized society, specially at the time she grew up

>reminder that i could have lived my life differently and could have been more happier...

quit your job and follow grimes on tour, obviously

that seems like the mature, adult thing to do.

>I don't have any excuses for not trying to make my life better.

your excuse could be "i sit at home and fantasize about grimes all day, thats why my life is shit".

This. I recently decided 3/4 in undergrad that I hate politics and don't want to be involved in it anymore and focus on my writing and music. Claire admitting she got into music at 23 and seeing how big she's gotten gives me hope for the future.

>seeing how big she's gotten gives me hope for the future.

get out of the thread, or suffer the wrath of the almighty goddess-queen of the universe.

ill leave when you degenerates stop being dishonest with yourselves and start discussing music

Catapulting you back out with a solid kick to your shitposting behind.

youtube.com/watch?v=AoDbSJ1ljbw

lyrics?

But we discuss music (songs, her life, meanings), you son of a retarded bitch. May a train hit you tomorrow.

youtube.com/watch?v=UfvTsCr04NM seems like our good ol friend lllkstlll got me kind of covered on the lyrics of this one at least

not music, just degeneracy

youtube.com/watch?v=c2EJMd7ZN7w

Talking about an artist is still music discussion, you raging autist. Kys degenerate scum.

whatever. you are the one wasting your time by browsing threads you hate on a daily basis.

tell me who's wasting their lives again.

>a beacon that tells you just what is possible?
Mainly this, though I'd probably frame it differently. She seems to function in a way that I like and find familiar, and creates things that I like. I'm easily influenced and drawn to relateability.

I'm a broken human being that never accomplished anything. Most of my life has been health problems. This aspect never occurs consciously, but perhaps I like seeing people who do what I think ought to be done, and made it. Normally however I just harvest elements from what people create. It gives you the means to be the same thing in a new way. Maybe the new way will allow change, and that it'll be more than just another lens.

what a fucking degenerate lmao

Oh.

her bf stuff is better.

I participate in Grimes threads on a regular basis because I enjoy discussing her and her amazing music.

by the way, thank you for helping keep our threads so active!

Grimes isn't an artist though

Ignore that degerate autist.

Ignore that degenerate autist.

no problem, i enjoy laughing at you degenerates

examples: