/daily/ - Owls edition

Listen to your library, show off your backlog, babble about new meme music, honor the memory of /daily/ over it's dead body, be at peace with /rym/, and just let the good memes flow.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>topsters btfo

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>get in here for fucks sake

synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel
>plug but snug

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>site with templates, OP covers, archive, & random stuff

discord.gg/s5Rv7zJ
>shitpost machine

Ask about the super secret and rarely revealed legendary Skype Group.

Most importantly, get taste?

Some time ago on /daily/: (nice doubles)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/y0eliUpwA1M
youtube.com/watch?v=m6ufsWO476A
rainymood.com/
thebaddestbeams.bandcamp.com
antifur.bandcamp.com/track/depression-is-4-faggot-2
rateyourmusic.com/list/StuffRodHeardAfterAugust/rodriguezs-really-important-show-show/
youtube.com/watch?v=eSX7LmESZQ4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nobody?

What have you been listening to?

I relistened to Ride - Nowhere the other day and i forgot how fantastic it was. People who say it doesn't deserve a spot in the big three of shoegaze have an incorrect opinion.

Steve Reid but I'm just here to pay my respects to the thread. RIP

kubera what was your rec for my tourney?

speaking of tourney
when will the next round of yours start?

Oh cool, how did you like it? Personally I'm not too fond of soul jazz but that one is groovy as hell.
It all sounds the same to me :*)

hey guys how are you

i'm listening to the dirty projectors cause my gf likes them, they're pretty good though

soon. i lost kubera's rec on accident, but i'll be starting it when he reports back.
also one final thing for the orange iguanas, your bonus this time is that if you want, you can be the only team to change your recs.
i'll go into more info when kubera gets back.

r8 this chart

p good/10

hey /daily/ rec me some field recordings of rain

did jimmy rec something then?
what was it?

hey fuk yu

Forgot my tripcode ughh

why listen to the rain when you could listen to The Rain
youtu.be/y0eliUpwA1M

that eureka album cover always throws me off.

why listen to The Rain when She Brings the Rain
youtube.com/watch?v=m6ufsWO476A

ok i'm moving to the rym forum this board is useless

rainymood.com/

Really? The cover is what made me interested in how it would sound like, so it's the reason I listened to Jim mostly.
>This video contains content from [Merlin] PIAS, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Also can is for nerds

>>>/tumblr.com/

Quite a lot. Lions of Juda puts the rest of the album to shame though, it's fantastic, the organ on that is funky as fuck.

nice

What a loss. We will miss you, rain guy.

Hey man you wanted rain recordings I gave you rain recordings

Also follow me on tumblr I'm cmygk

>rain guy
that's my new trip thanks

/daily/ is over.
Delete /daily/.
Ban /daily/ posters.
New thread never.

Hey
Umm
Hey
Drone me. Even tho i don't have a unique taste

Very neat, though my favorite is free spirits-unknown. You might want to listen to rhythmatism, it's more focused around Reid's percussion and has a very nice rhythm. I'm not sure if you'll like it as much but it's worth a try.
And yet I'm stuck with this shitty name.

I like the album. it's just that when I first saw it I imagined it to be some anime soundtrack.

nvm i found kubera's rec.
ARE ANY ORANGE IGUANAS PRESENT

your team collectively has used 103 ratings out of your 120. to earn bonus points, you'd need to have a total between 111 and 120.
as your advantage, you are the only team that can alter your recs to gain bonus points.
you collectively have 1 hour to do so. anything after will be rejected.
current status:
Nyarlthotep, 3 ratings
DJ Frederick, 29 ratings
Jangle, 28 ratings
Herb Kid, 14 ratings
Co, 2 ratings
Kubera, 27 ratings

your time is up in one hour, at X:30 (8:30 EST).

Cool, added it to my backlog. Might be a while though. gonna try and slowly work my way through some jazz records on the side of my usual listening rather than burning myself out listening to loads at once.

no u

>Thelonious Monk has a big band record
>Art Blakey has a big band record
>Dave Holland has two big band records
aw yis is big band time

Yeah that's a nice thing to do, they'll sound fresh that way.

>is big band time
>look at clock
>it's actually nation time

I can't hear you

I'm not talking. This is message board, not voice chat.

Now that makes sense. Thank you for clearing that up.

>And yet I'm stuck with this shitty name.
if you care that much then change it
that's what i did

Why bother, I will never come up with something as good as 'rain guy' again.

FOR TOMORROW'S LISTEN ALONG

thebaddestbeams.bandcamp.com

If I can't manage to upload to the plug, at least the download is free

that is one CUTE album cover

what personality type are you, /daily/? My guess would be INTJ

Cute cover for a cute album

Intp iirc

Chemical Breath - Fatal Exposure (1992)
>death metal, thrash metal

The album doesn't really do anything of note to elevate itself above thousands of other death and thrash metal albums, and the death metal component of this leaves a fair bit to be desired, but it's certainly a servicable thrash album with some great riffs. Sadly, it rarely goes above and beyond simply having good riffs, a truly great metal album needs to elevate its worth beyond just the riffs. The only time this album deviates from the riffs is when they tack on some ambient sounds during the opener and closer, and they don't do a very good job at it. The vocalist is another aspect I don't like, far too post-grungey for my tastes. Still, if you like death/thrash metal, and I certainly do, this is an enjoyable listen, just not anything incredible or revolutionary.

2.5+

classic meme

>he listens to penis envy
marry me

post chart and i will rate the ones ive listened to from there

is it on soundcloud by any chance? plug lets you put up soundcloud stuff

I always played Jim O'Rourke over the car stereo when my family went on road trips. They always complimented me for playing 'nice, normal music' for a change, since they never paid attention to how deranged and deeply sadistic the lyrics actually are.

it's nice on the ears. I like the ones he did with fire! a bit more though.

>deranged and deeply sadistic the lyrics actually are.
What lyrics on either of those albums are deranged and sadistic? I'm trying to think of some but I can't.

nothing much really deranged on Eureka. the last track is about a dude killing himself, but it's more depressive than deranged.
now Insignificance on the other hand...

"It's always me in the only seat
That has a canopy
There to screw up the best laid plans
Of those with company

I'd like nothing more to do
Than to watch the desperation on your face
I might send you straght to hell
Like it's worse to end up in this place

If I gave you, one night to live
Would you know who to choose to take home
And if she falls asleep before the night is through
Because she has to go to work
And you don't

And the night's getting longer
And your skin's getting colder
And you won't get much older

And you try to move towards her
But you can't move your shoulder
And you're sight's getting dimmer
Maybe if you kick her
But your leg's getting weaker
And she's such a deep sleeper
And you would get a snorer
To share your last hour
You sure picked a winner
And time's seeming slower
And now you can't see her
All you see is a timer
Moving backwards and forwards
And the night's getting longer
And your skin's getting colder"

and don't get me started on Halfway to a Threeway

Well, I played halfway to a threeway too. I guess most of his lyrics are more just jaded and bitter than deranged, per se.

they're more misanthropic than anything, but:

"Nothing makes me want to disappear
As when someone opens their mouth" - Ghost Ship in a Storm

"Why do you hide, behind, somebody else
There's one too many, in this room, and I think it's you" - Therefore, I Am

"Looking at you, reminds me of looking at the sun
And how the blind are so damn lucky" - Memory Lane

"It'd be so nice, if you weren't here" - Good Times

"I'd like nothing more to do
Than to watch the desperation on your face" - Get a Room

"A cigarette to brand a baby's arm
A bit of ash in his face keeps him warm" - Fuzzy Sun

"As I lay you down on my bed
It don't matter that you're brain dead
I can get so you close to ya
Now that you're in a coma" - Halfway to a Threeway (that whole song, really, jesus christ)

wow, Insignificance has some fucked up lyrics.

Yeah. Memory Lame is more or less the most brutal diss track ever made.
also, secret surprise, I haven't listened to Simple Songs yet because i'm saving it for my jimsploration list, so i can't assess it yet.
i've heard some people were let down, but if it really is Insignifigance if it was produced in the 60s, i'm game.

it's kinda like a mixture of his Eureka/Visitor chamber pop sound and his rockier Insignificance sound but not as good as any of them, mainly because of the production. it does get the '60s/'70s singer/songwriter sound down well, but its mastered like shit.

still a good album though, tunes are pretty mint and his voice is totally weathered with all the smoking and it sounds badass, hope you like it when ya check it out.

>his voice is totally weathered with all the smoking and it sounds badass
hnng
sounds wonderful.

ok so what i get from this is
+ lots of good kraut, but most of it is the same ones everyone puts
+ meet the residents, ffv, branca, other stuff i like
+ most of the super popular / essentials albums you picked are the good ones
- but theres still plenty bad choices for popular albums, especially in terms of electronic music
- being as bad as me and falling for musical abortions and ark work
- mac demarco, battles, flying lotus
- your taste in noise and industrial
~ solid top 10 but nothing that really sets it apart or makes it too interesting

i find your taste to be pretty average based on how it compares to my bad taste so imagine how bad it actually is

>Not Liking Leonard Cohen
>Not liking Mac Demarco
>Implying people should have unique top tens instead of putting their favorite albums

>not liking 2

yam how is my taste

true or false
philip glass is a hack

there are many better minimalism composers but he's still good, the score to Koyaanisqatsi is wonderful.

ok the orange iguanas have chosen not to act. starting round three tomorrow.

this is why i dont talk about music

i'm not critiquing it by if it's a good representation of his taste, i'm saying his taste isn't that interesting. your taste could be every scaruffi 9 and 10 and thats totally fine by me if that's what you honestly love, but for me, i just see it as an 'ok' taste to have. my "review" was based on the albums on it and my interest in checking out what it had that i haven't seen before, not how well it fits shamepai. if we base it on that i give it a perfect.

i havent heard 2 desu i just dont like what ive heard from mac demarco

i might be a bit biased because me going through your taste introduced me to jim orourke, american primitivism and fahey but its good. looking at your top 50 its pretty cool except for a few big disagreements here and there (mineral and lrd) but theres a lot i haven't heard in it. will have to go through some of them some time

did jimmyjazz rec

yeah. he rec'd in pm over rym. same with co.
mac's alright.

>i havent heard 2 desu i just dont like what ive heard from mac demarco
you should listen to it
i don't really care for another one but 2 is really good

current mood:
antifur.bandcamp.com/track/depression-is-4-faggot-2

i picked some picks from that and your rym that i might listen to
except the tomggg album i got that one from the bc descrip of bubblefunk. actually hoped to get more out of yr low ratings

>your taste introduced me to jim orourke, american primitivism and fahey but its good
oh nice, i've done my job

Okay I'm gonna start a new chart. Wonder if I'll finish it?

Couple quick reviews
>Dr. Dog - We All Belong
I came to this album because I knew a couple of songs that I really liked by Dr. Dog and I assumed their albums would be about as good. A lot of this album is pretty mediocre blues rock and psych-pop, and unfortunately the lo-fi production isn't working in it's favor (it just kind of flattens the sound of everything). However I'd definitely recommend checking out the tracks "My Old Ways" and "We All Belong", especially if you're a Beatles or Zombies fan.

>Negativland - No Business
A completely sample based Negativland album. A couple of these songs are about illegal downloading of music, but the rest of them are just odd sound collages made from music and TV / movies. "Piece of Pie" is a great nonsensical bit of dialogue. No Business isn't great compared to some of their early stuff, but I enjoyed it.

>Rifts
have fun my dog

I listened to the first few tracks a while ago and liked what I heard but I wasn't in the right mood. I'm gonna save that for a nice rainy day in the city.

Cloud Rat + Halsey

Are you having a stroke?

Todd Edwards - Prima Edizione (1999)
>UK garage, house

Groovy, and I know that this would /kill/ on the dancefloors I am probably not ever going to end up on, but this is just far too repetitive and "simple" for my tastes. It seems that nearly every drum loop is exactly the same, and even though hearing these tracks on their own would probably be a delight, 75 minutes of these very similar sounding songs is just /far/ too much, it gets totally mindnumbing by the end, and definitely not in a very positive manner. This still definitely has characteristics I like, though. Like I said earlier, these songs would be very enjoyable on their own, they're certainly energetic and fun to listen to, and the samples are executed perfectly. But honestly, this is the prime example why dance music isn't an album genre.

2.5-

Tower of Power - Tower of Power (1973)
>funk, soul

A tight as hell band with a catchy, bombastic horn section, but they're playing the most boring, passionless soul I've ever heard in my entire life. Which is a total fucking shame, because the opener is an absolutely incredible piece of rhythmic, catchy, and most importantly /groovy/ funk that makes me think the rest of the album would be fucking great. Sadly, it's just neutered passionless soul with a whole load of filler and a distinct lack of fun and energy.

hnng that fucking bottom row

i kinda like lana del rey (halsey is just more of the same aint she?) so what could go wrong

Pretty sure that bottom row is all recs that you gave me in plug a while back lol.

round 3 is live. starting tomorrow.
rateyourmusic.com/list/StuffRodHeardAfterAugust/rodriguezs-really-important-show-show/

oh wow i don't remember that at all. well i really hope you like them then!

Rec me female rappers
Is Gangsta Boo the best?

hey nice job reccing waving at planes for rod's show-show

i have some 9's where i'm the only rater on them these guys need to step up their game.

youtube.com/watch?v=eSX7LmESZQ4
hope it wasnt you who mentioned her a couple days ago

lady of rage
noname
rapsody

gangsta boo is the best tho

What are some good not so expensive record players?

LP 120
Or anything from a thrift store but you'd have to do some research to know which are good and what's a good price etc

what about Nicki Minaj?

Did someone say owls edition?

there's this track from this negativland style album about owls and tape, i want to link it,but the only upload of it on youtube is a fucking mlp cover of it aaaaaaa

Why didn't I like this before? It bangs

I actually like one of her tapes

oh shit I didn't know you still post here

you're the only tripfag whose presence I appreciate

Thot of u gise

yeah a lot of her appearances are good

Get money

How much else have you heard from the album? Work Work was great for me, but the moment I heard Body and Blood, my jaw dropped.

I don't think I can ever leave Sup Forums entirely! But I think I post maybe... 3-5 times a year. I normally hop over out of curiosity when something big happens music-wise.

Are these threads usually devoid of unconstructive shitposting and taste insulting? Because that's why I left, and it'd be really neat to start posting again.

(also oh my gosh you remembered me, thank you friend.)

Shitposting is not inherently uncostrctive

this would be good for that rym top 100 list nat's doing.