Stop pretending Merzbow is the shit, it's juste fucking garbage

Stop pretending Merzbow is the shit, it's juste fucking garbage.

A lot of albums but a rare lack of ideas and desire to evolve: no fucking efforts is provided in this music, it's self-sufficient and wants (or pretends) to be elitist.

I mean, there's a lot of interesting thing about ambiant, noisy stuff etc but this guy is just linearly taking a huge shit on his pedals, laptop and amps for 12min, makes me want to piss in my own ears

Then don't listen to it?

merzbow has made so many albums and collaborations that you're bound to like at least one thing he's done.

"I don't understand it so it's bad"

>stop saying merzbow is the shit
>complain about stuff that would fit to every artist from the genre he do, and not only himself

I bet your favorite album is Close to the Edge, right?

OP btfo. /thread

It's meant to sound bad kid

Merzbow isn't making something you can tap your feet to, he's putting forth an idea, his idea, of what music could be. It's like modern art, it may not take the same technical skill, but he still thought long and hard about it.

>It's meant to sound bad kid
>It's like modern art
Thanks for clarifying that it's literal garbage

OP here. You can't excuse everything just because it's intentional. It's not a good justification.

If you watch a film that has crappy sound or bad filming, you can't say "yeah but it's meant to be crappy" and get away with it. I

>filename
user, tha'ts one of his best collabs

t. Kevin

Not him but
>implying it not a great prog album

That analogy doesn't work with movies, unless it's some sort of concept film or who knows what

If it has crappy sound and crappy filming and it came from some giant company, obviously they've failed to deliver a quality product. Merzbow is just making his own product that not many people will enjoy, and it's fine if you don't like it

(OP). Some guys here had the reaction I've expected, the classic "you don't get it" thing and a bit of "then don't listen to it" but I have to listen to it if I want to know the subject a little more.

I'm familiar with dark ambiant stuff but people just keep telling me about the INTENTIONS like you can get away with that.

If tomorrow I take a shit in front of a neumann with a shitload of delay, it will probably be my idea of what music could be, yes, but it will sound bad anyway and that's the point.

I think intentions isn't everything

>I have to listen to it if I want to know the subject a little more.
There's plenty other noise artists out there

I don't even like Merzbow, but if you don't like listening to his "intended" sound/message then it's ok to pass and try other stuff.

Thank you

>tomorrow I take a shit in front of a neumann with a shitload of delay
do it and post bandcamp

>people just keep telling me about the INTENTIONS like you can get away with that.

He's still a full-time musician, so I'd say he's more than getting away with it. Now if you made the same music Merzbow made today, you wouldn't be successful, that's true. But then again, you didn't start 30+ years ago when it was a fresh idea

not OP but what are some good entry Merzbow projects

merzbeat

depends where you're coming from
merzbeat is good to acclimatize to the textures of harsh noise whilst retaining traditional rhythm

Venerology

Yeah, I think that's a testament to his creativity. It at least implies he thinks he's trying.

I don't really like his explanation, that's just one way people look at it. Take it with a grain of salt. Personally, I will sit down and listen to a Murzbow album front to back and enjoy it.

You're on the right path with dark ambient. You can think of noice as an "extreme" style of ambient. It seems a little oxymoronic but that's basicly what it is. Noice is less about harmony and more about texture. A lot of people listen to white/pink noice when they work, it's not too much of a stretch for people to want something like that but somewhat creative (maybe not the best work but you get the idea).

while i don't enjoy his music i respect his artistic vision, it should be obvious that he is talented and you're just too close minded to see that