Best of 2016

I'm tired of seeing all the David Bowie, Radiohead, Deakin, etc. in 2016 threads. Post some lesser-known albums that came out this year that you thought were great and let's all discover something actually interesting.

I'll start with Drose's Boy Man Machine. Spectacular, industrial rock/no wave record with some intense minimal drumming and the most dramatic vocalist imaginable. Highly recommended for fans of Swans' early output.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ub0oCjZJqrM
youtube.com/watch?v=lis3Ulx2I-g
youtu.be/E4xe-qiKE00
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It started off on a weird note but The Field put out yet another great release this year. I don't know how he does it; this is his 5th LP and his music is built around electronic loops and small samples but he manages to keep it fresh every time.

Pink Sun is one of his best tracks yet. And the second half of the closer Reflecting Lights makes me feel every time. Happy and sad all rolled into one.

For someone who's never heard of him, what genre is it and who does it resemble? From what you described, I would guess electronica and is reminiscent of Boards of Canada.

I would classify him as minimal techno. Some influences of ambient ("20 Seconds of Affection" or "Is This Power") but he always comes back to having some rhythm in his work like in "Looping State of Mind" or "Leave it"

Resemble... It's like if Fuck Buttons smoothed out the grunge to become more poppy. Gas is a fairly similar artist, kinda Four Tet as well.

elysia cramptons album

idk about best of 2016 but it's up there

my man

both some of the better electronic albums of the year

Puberty 2

also this

why the hell is this album so underrated?

lo-fi folk fused with power electronics. could probably end up being aoty

I just want to thank you for bringing this to my attention.

george harrison faked his death and moved to finland

One of the best from the year and no one talks about it.

wow, Sigur Rós got really dark.

Solid!!

This is in my Top 5 of the year.

Why is AnCo's catchiest song Golden Gals?

it isn't even close to that though
there's catchier songs on PW even

You just can't beat it senpai:^)

because its fuckin garbage

You have a link? I really liked the version of Swap Meet he did on Soaked in Bleach

fox/soper duo - magenta lines

you know how greg fox is good at hitting the drums? he did it in liturgy and guardian alien, do you remember? well he hooked up with this dude who was like a visual artist or whatever, but dude had a synth. and so they made noise rock together but with synth instead of guitar. it is awesome and took forever for someone to add it to rateyourmusic but it did get added somewhat recently. you should listen to it, its good! it came out on nna tapes, don't you trust nna tapes? they're one of the good ones, you know that. go listen.

I know right :)
I really like this one myself!

seeing them in October, can't wait.

I can't stand this horrible cover.
Can you tell me why is it worth listening?

This album gives me hemorrhoids, in a good way.

youtube.com/watch?v=ub0oCjZJqrM

Nobody seems to be talking about Kiran Leonard any more, hes a pretty accomplished art rocker. Grapefruit is one of my top 10s

also OP im digging this a lot, thanks for this.

what album is that

Effortless fusion of contrasting styles of R&B and pop that go back to the 70s. Ambitious, layered production with subtle and sophisticated builds and crescendos. Psychedelic instrumentation and atmosphere.

Also I like the cover.

youtube.com/watch?v=lis3Ulx2I-g

this album is great. the title track is up there with songs like oh comely for me.

Listened to a bit of this and its got me intrigued.

Found this in a bandcamp thread, but it's close to being aotysf for me. Starts with a big post-rock intro, but it varies in style a lot.

this is my AOTY so far, then again i have listened to make like 5 2016 releases in full so far.

fuck. i love this
thank you so much

im actually kinda digging this

Can you tell me the name please?

>im actually kinda digging this
Damn fucking straight.

youtu.be/E4xe-qiKE00

My Irish queen

I think this is such an underrated album. Never thought much of his previous releases but this really blew me away.

Is there any gerogerigegege chart? This one is pretty good.

This is a remix album of the soundtrack from the 1988 anime film Akira.

This thing covers everything from techno, trance, house, ambient, and post dubstep.

It's an inspiring and personal album even if you're not in "EDM" or anime.

It's mediocre at best and strictly for the fans at worst.

Sorry, user.

THE WAVES ABOUT IT ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL