/grimes/

Discuss the talented and lovely Canadian artist Claire Boucher (aka Grimes).

Leave your opinion on her music.
- What are your thoughts on Medieval Warfare?
- How and when did you find out about her?
- She's only playing at festivals for the rest of her tour. Anyone catching any of these?
- Who would you like to see her collab with?
- Rank/rate her albums
- Post your 10 favorite Grimes songs

>best
>runner-up
>worst
>underrated
>overrated

Video of the day: dailymotion.com/video/x4k3593

Keep it music related, and be nice to Grimes!

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x4k3593
theguardian.com/music/2015/may/25/daniel-johns-making-a-big-heavy-rock-record-would-have-been-pathetic
austinchronicle.com/daily/music/2012-10-04/surrealist-yuppie-grimes/
guitarworld.com/thrash-course-revocations-dave-davidson-using-fast-down-picking-execute-powerful-riffs-and-signature-parts
web.archive.org/web/20160802014457/http://pre2010.thelinknewspaper.ca/articles/2046
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for Hana's sister is a total babe

I want grimes in that position.

>not even hana

SHE IS THE BEST DESU

>best
Visions

>runner-up
Art Angels

>worst
Darkbloom

>underrated
Halfaxa
Geidi Primes

>overrated
none

It seems there are some people hating her personality. What do you think about her personality? Are you also interested to read her interviews or you're just focused on her music only?

>Video of the day: dailymotion.com/video/x4k3593
8:00 grimes doesn't know how to double pick

Spare her, she's still learning.

i love her personality
i wish i could read her interviews all days long
there are just too many and i don't have that much time

Is Grimes' personality a 1:1 rip off of "Daniel Johns" (from Silverchair)?? OR is this just the cookie-cutter formula for success?

-He has had anxiety
-He poses in quirky ways
-He has all the trendy eating disorders (anorexia and vegan included)
-He sat in his room for 5 years with curtains drawn.
-He says he unironically loves pop music but prefers to make cool stuff he calls experimental electronic
-He hates music journalists who criticise but does a lot of it himself

theguardian.com/music/2015/may/25/daniel-johns-making-a-big-heavy-rock-record-would-have-been-pathetic

>Johns says he loves pop music; that Janet Jackson was playing on the stereo while he was writing Talk. “This is not an out-and-out Top 40 pop record. There’s some great experimentation on there.”

Just a coincidence.

Grimes is simultaneously the fakest and realest person ever. It's so cool.

Also, for all the poor hipsters out there who are confused about whether or not she is one of them/whether it is currently socially appropriate for them to like her music:
>Everyone calls us hipsters, and we decided we’re not really hipsters. We were trying to decide where we fit in the spectrum of sub-genres, and we kind of concluded that we’re surrealist yuppies, because we’re really into mainstream pop music and hi-fi things and catchy things and making things awesome. We’re into working really hard and eating healthy food and exercising, and we’re also really into psychedelic experimentation and being weird. Obviously doing weird things with our music.
>A surrealist yuppie is a type of person who's between the hipsters and the mainstream, who's still doing creative things, but isn’t disdainful of mainstream success. Just because something is engineered by a bunch of guys in suits doesn’t make in necessarily bad.
austinchronicle.com/daily/music/2012-10-04/surrealist-yuppie-grimes/

Hipster is a binary thing. The fact they resort to trying to make themselves sound more ambiguous than they are only proves they are ultra-hipster.

user, it's an aggressive riff-playing technique called downpicking - do your homework:
guitarworld.com/thrash-course-revocations-dave-davidson-using-fast-down-picking-execute-powerful-riffs-and-signature-parts

Actually I agree with her views from these quotes.

>Is Grimes' personality a 1:1 rip off of "Daniel Johns" (from Silverchair)?? OR is this just the cookie-cutter formula for success?
Neither. By the sound of it he just also happens to be a surrealist yuppie (see

>“My work is much more about the bad things. All really good things are usually scary or uncanny,” said Boucher. “But I still feel like my ideal world is by necessity pretty earthbound, and I don’t think my work is very much associated with my real life or at least the functional aspects of it.”

>Boucher may be earthbound, but that doesn’t mean the material of her art has to be.
>“My influences change quite frequently, but I generally have an overriding obsession at any given point in time,” she said, citing a current fascination with The X-Files and Vancouver’s Museum of Anthropology. “The big ones in recent years have been outer space, aliens and things like that. Monsters, demons.”

>Her fascination for morbid things can be found lying in the shadow of most of her works. Death and gore are commonly found elements in her paintings.

>“I like dead faces,” admitted Boucher. “They seem like live faces but they aren’t, [although] it’s hard to tell in a static image—like the faces on statues with empty, staring eyes that are around churches. I kind of want to make paintings that give a similar impression, except less earthly.”

>Yesterday Boucher caught sight of a dead mouse. This can only mean one thing: new painting!

web.archive.org/web/20160802014457/http://pre2010.thelinknewspaper.ca/articles/2046

Is she the most relatable artist?

>he just also happens to be a surrealist yuppie
see - it's clear the name "hipster" has become a popular insult and hipsters of all types are trying to abandon that catch-all genus label at all costs.

>is desperately unique patrician musician
>acts relateable to gain plebian followers

She comes across as the artist with highest number of sexual relations in L.A.

>shitposting
Moving on. Nothing to see here.

are you joking? she can't even follow the speed of the prerecorded guitar and you want her to downpick

>you aren't allowed to be of the opinion that grimes isn't genuine.

Okay. I genuinely won't say that any more.

MOAR MOUTH PICS PLZ

I'm in the pursuit of fappyness.

>socially appropriate

Do you faggots really let that affect whether you enjoy something? You know it's okay to just listen to music that makes you feel things, right? Here, come have a hug, man. Take a load off.

she used to be so lewd