/grimes/

Discuss the talented and lovely Canadian artist Claire Boucher (aka Grimes).

Leave your opinion on her music.
- What are your thoughts on Medieval Warfare?
- How and when did you find out about her?
- She's only playing at festivals for the rest of her tour. Anyone catching any of these?
- Who would you like to see her collab with?
- Rank/rate her albums
- Post your 10 favorite Grimes songs

>best
>runner-up
>worst
>underrated
>overrated

Video of the day: dailymotion.com/video/x4k3593

Keep it music related, and be nice to Grimes!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2eX06z2VY3o
youtube.com/watch?v=bTZvZ4DThoc)
web.archive.org/web/20120414145113/http://www.startribune.com/local/west/49134952.html?
thedailyswarm.com/swarm/firsts-grimes/
youtube.com/watch?v=zmHNl2L-uoM
last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
youtube.com/watch?v=ahnUH7wnW30
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style
pandora.com/station/2895208146671614201
nytimes.com/video/t-magazine/100000004431034/illustrated-interview-grimes.html
youtube.com/watch?&v=Wv1eeMfCGkw
nylon.com/articles/grimes-it-girls
read.tidal.com/article/grimes-5-albums-that-changed-my-life
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

just listening to halfaxa for the first time, what should i expect? should i smoke a weeder?

Why was the last thread deleted?

Some kind of ambient dreampop goth. This album is pretty weird.

I have no idea. Why someone would do that?!

started with weregild. not bad once it gets going. I'm pretty new to Grimes, though.

Did you listen to Visions? Visions is more accessible than Halfaxa.

God knows - this is Sup Forums, after all.

From the previous thread - An idea of what to expect from each of her releases:
Geidi Primes: Experimental alternative
Halfaxa: Ambient goth
Darkbloom: Pop-infused ambient goth
Visions: Ambient synth pop
Art Angels: Avante garde experimental pop

Obviously opinions may vary.

EVERYTIME YOU FUCKER DELETE GRIMES THREAD WE WILL CREATE ANOTHER TWO
EVERYTIME YOU FUCKER DELETE TWO GRIMES THREADS WE WILL CREATE ANOTHER FOUR
THE MORE YOU DELETE - THE MORE WILL BE CREATED
JUST REMEMBER YOU CAN'T WIN

yeah, I've pretty much been working my way backwards. I really liked Art Angels, then Visions was a grower. I enjoy Visions much more as an album than Art Angels.

Cool it - there are adults here.

Imo her music always has major growth potential because of how much she actively uses sonic textures as an artistic device (virtually every time I listen to one of her records I feel like there's something new going on in there that I hadn't noticed before.)

Visions and Halfaxa are legit masterpieces

Her darkboom and Geidi stuff is ok

Art Angels is utter and complete shit except for a couple songs.

RIP grimes

greatest human who ever lived

What height is Grimes?

Why does this talentless hack have her own fucking general?

She's a girl, her music doesn't matter.

4'6

The mod was a jerk for deleting a legit thread, but let's not act in a childish manner. Don't provoke him.

Ya know dude, I am listening to Visions right now and I just don't get the hype.

All her albums are major growers. That's why you see people so addicted to her music: what they thought it's just some synthpop turned out to be a rollercoaster of emotions after some listens.

That's your problem - not ours. However if you actually want to know what others hear in it, do ask - 'tis the point of the thread.

>All her albums are major growers.

Art Angels is a shrinker tbqh

my friend you should not smoke the doobage it will turn you in to a stoney man

Only if you harbor an irrational hate for pop music - and sometimes not even then (I personally hate contemporary pop music, and yet I ADORE Art Angels.)

She's better than anyone else that's why.

Why do you hate pop music?

i dont hate pop music, i just dont actively listen to any of it. I know Art angels is likely just a concept album which explains the overall tone of it, but i just dislike it intensely.

I'm a professional classical musician, and I just happen to find the sonic palette of contemporary pop music extremely unpleasant.

Which isn't to say that I dislike all contemporary/semi-contemporary music. For example, I'm quite fond of post-punk/new wave/goth and most of their respective variants as well as a smattering of indie/alternative rock (Foals are my favorite band atm.) Straight up pop music, though, just... irks me.

Downloaded that grimes clips .zip, where are these from?

this one too

>Art Angels is utter and complete shit except for a couple songs.
Completely wrong. You just don't get that album. It's (You)r fault.

Because she's better than you.

>OP invites people to leave their opinion
>retards say "ur opinion is wrong!!!!"

this is why grimes threads are shit

she's 5'5"

Listen to it again in a month. You'll see the light.

Only if you hate pop. Grimes always incorporated pop into her music. On AA there's a bigger dose.

>>retards say "ur opinion is wrong!!!!"
Pro tip: don't respond to trolls - whether they purportedly like Grimes or not.

>retards say "ur opinion is wrong!!!!"
Hold on a minute: if you say something is shit without any explanation, don't expect to be congratulated. You're the butthurt retard, fyi.

>this is why grimes threads are shit
Then don't post here. Trust me, literally no one will miss your shitposting.

Let's kick their asses.

>RIP grimes
More like, RIP your music taste...

user, trolling is trolling - whether you purport to like/support Grimes or not.

>you cant have opinions that differ from the groupthink without explanation (no explanation on why i think halfaxa is excellent was asked, nor on why i like Geidi even if most people havent even listened to it)

>you are butthurt if you point out how dissenting opinions are attacked with no substance (U ARE WRONG, YOUR TASTE IS BAD)

you people just want a circlejerk of waifufaggotry

user, why are you responding seriously to an obvious troll?

once again, if anyone has source for any or all of these, do say so

You said
>Art Angels is utter and complete shit except for a couple songs.

To say shit like that on a Grimes thread is disrespectful. You could say "I dislike AA", not that it's shit. You imply that we are dumb because we enjoy a shit album according to you. You just don't come here and start pissing on things most fans love. You're not a real fan, but a hipster. Fuck off.

I'm not usually into Grimes generals so excuse me for seeming like a newfag, but can you please explain the thing about Grimes being high priestess in this surrealist cult. Is she really believing that stuff and are you guys in these threads believing in that stuff?

upvote+1+1+1

user, cool it. The other user in question clearly didn't mean it that way since they said they LIKED several songs on it...

It's a whole mythology. She doesn't believe in that stuff, it's just made up by some obsessed fans. Maybe because her earlier work inspired some mystical thoughts. Grimes is also a fan of Hildegard von Bingen, that famous literate abbess. It's just for fun, don't take that stuff seriously.

Watch this: youtube.com/watch?v=2eX06z2VY3o

The weirdest thing you'll see today.

And by the way, some folks (I don't) even have Grimes shrines. She really inspires deep devotion in some people...

Hope she's doing alright after the car accident

she is/was in a cult though

It's a non-serious endeavor that she and her crazy college friends started back in Montreal - clearly out of boredom. The whole point of it is that they never actually do anything since it's built on the idea of worshiping bureaucracy itself, and actually accomplishing anything would require doing far too much paperwork (jump to 9:10 youtube.com/watch?v=bTZvZ4DThoc)

pic related
resize this to a lower res, please

Sure, we are all members of Holy Rain Empire aka Les Kapitales Industrea (LKI). Pic related is our cult leader.

fuck forgot the pic haha

What happened??

Who has that hilarious meme pic with Join Our Cult procession?

This one?

Yes. :)

Nothing - never trust unsourced information on an open message board.

where's this from?

No idea - ask it's author: www facebook com/matthew.e.duffy

its fucking real and a tragedy

Grime MC NoLay =/= Grimes

Stop the disinformation and your Inspect Element tricks.

Daily reminder that Art Angels is her best album

Some say it's Visions or Halfaxa. Personally, I love all her albums, even the underrated Geidi Primes and Darkbloom ep.

web.archive.org/web/20120414145113/http://www.startribune.com/local/west/49134952.html?

>The Daily Swarm: When did you first get the idea to go the Mississippi in a houseboat? What did you learn from the experience? And what was your first clue that said boat wasn’t going to make it to New Orleans?
>Grimes: Nothing you’ve read about that story online is true. There was no Huck Finn crap: I was trying to live on a boat because I was interested in alternative ways of living, and I didn’t like paying rent. It’s legal to live on a boat as long as you use an anchor and aren’t tied to shore. I had a full boating license, the boat was insured and licensed, my friend was a mechanic, and everything was in full working condition. The police attacked us at five in the morning, smashed the windows and told us they didn’t give a shit about our safety. They were just going to fuck us over because they “Didn’t like the way we looked.” So no, I was not planning to sail to New Orleans, because I’m not an idiot. I’ve been operating heavy machinery, including boats, since I was five years old.
thedailyswarm.com/swarm/firsts-grimes/

Needless to say, can't wait to see what happens with the whole UFC thing.

Come on, Grimes always says one thing and deny it the next day.

Listen to it in your bed at like midnight during summer and you'll understand the hype

wtf can't find this interview anymore, i think it's deleted

nobody knows

Of fucking course the MPLSPD got them. That is the exact thing they'd go after.

I have already prepared UFC subfolder.

found the interview
youtube.com/watch?v=zmHNl2L-uoM

"just like, stare people in the... make them make eye contact"

yoooo she did this to me at her show I swear

When a human reaches the highest level of perfection, it becomes Grimes. I hope there will be more Grimeses one day.

Earth can only withstand the power of one Grimes every few thousand years.

GRIMES PROFILE

>Full name: Claire Elise Boucher
>Born: 17 March 1988 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
>Origin: Québécois, Ukrainian, Russian and Italian descent
>Instruments: vocals, synthesizer, sampler, keyboard, guitar, bass, drums, violin, ukulele

>Skills:
- singer
- songwriter
- producer
- sound engineer
- lyricist
- live performer
- visual artist
- music video director
- dancer
- model
- virtuoso

>Main interests:
Music, visual arts, dancing, books, films, modeling, video games, internet, and others

>Music taste:
last.fm/user/chairmandore/library
youtube.com/watch?v=ahnUH7wnW30
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimes_(musician)#Musical_style
pandora.com/station/2895208146671614201

>Others:
- Grimes does everything in her music, from singing and songwriting to artwork and production
- nice personality, beautiful look, cares about environment issues and saving animals
- took her name from grime music after discovering the existence of the genre on Myspace
- studied ballet for 11 years
- was a goth outcast in high school
- studed neuroscience, philosophy, and Russian literature and McGill University before being dropped out for missing classes
- had some troubles in the past: drugs, 2 friends died because of overdosing drugs, sexual assault, shitty jobs, the professor who got her into a music program killed himself
- started making music when she was around the age of 22 or 23
- big Lord of the Rings, Dune, Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Abbess Hildegard von Bingen and Russian literature fan
- her best friends are James Brooks, Hana, Bloodpop, Duffy, Born Gold

who was the last grimes? the virgin mary?

I don't know... she's been pretty consistent about this whole "wanting to get super ripped" thing of hers for a while now. UFC training might just be the perfect motivator.
nytimes.com/video/t-magazine/100000004431034/illustrated-interview-grimes.html

That's impressive tbch.

I think she's just tired of being considered weak. Considering her bad experiences in the past, she wants to be able to defend herself. She's very amibitious.

it is uncertain exactly who the last Grimes was, it may have very well been before recorded history.

I think our Grimes is unique. There wasn't and there will not be another Grimes, ever.

Grimes is sitting on hundreds of songs and we're left thirsty here...

youtube.com/watch?&v=Wv1eeMfCGkw

i agree, it is very possible that this amazing phenomenon will never happen again.

what a blessed time we live in!

Maybe there will one pretty similar regarding music, but also look and personality? No way.

grimez

Beautiful.

I would honestly love to go to a party or something with Claire because that girl can dance :3

absolutely.

Her dancing is unusual.

>Who would you like to see her collab with?
Leftfield

Hildergard of Bingen:
>“Hildegard is the 12th-Century version of what I aspire to be: She was a scientist who wrote about abortion and handed out pamphlets to the women in the community, but she was also a musician, a composer, a painter, and illustrator. The pope was in her pocket, and she had her own abbey where she let all the nuns grow their hair out and wear jewelry and makeup—she was definitely the most badass, completely eccentric, awesome visionary.”
nylon.com/articles/grimes-it-girls

It is, but she has so much energy. And dancing is about having fun :)

unusually perfect

>Tool: Aenima
>One of the reasons I have interludes on my records is ‘cuz of the amazing ones on Aenima. This album is such a puzzle, rhythmically, melodically… so complex. It’s hard to jam along until you get to know it well, and yet it’s so easy to sing along. It’s complicated, but very satisfying as pop music somehow. I don’t get bored of putting it on, I can listen to it repeatedly and discover new things.
>I think the idea of alternative music with technically proficient vocals was really introduced to me by this album. Or that singing beautifully and screaming can coexist. I also love how uncompressed and spacious it is, despite all the noise. Been jamming it regularly since I was 13 or 14, its a staple of my existence. I feel musically inadequate next to it.
read.tidal.com/article/grimes-5-albums-that-changed-my-life