Wow people everywhere are loving this record. Of Montreal is getting so popular...

Wow people everywhere are loving this record. Of Montreal is getting so popular. They're one of the greatest bands of all time.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DM2eSXrNOZM
youtube.com/watch?v=ImYVgrdeiac
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They haven't done anything good since Skeletal Lamping, I'm just going to assume this is no different.

I don't like them

It's the greatest album of all time

Dude

>they haven't done anything good

this

Each of their albums has something special to offer. I don't think people give them enough credit for trying new things.

Fuck you

Looks similar to the art style in the Paranoid Android video.

Kevin?

>paralytic stalks
>not good

actually that Bob Dylan sounding album was pretty good

Paralytic Stalks is their greatest achievement though

Lousy with sylvianbriar? Yeah that isn't too bad. To be honest the only of montreal albums I don't like are the old ones, this one, and the one before. even then it's more of I just don't like them as much than it is I think they suck

I think you should keep listening to it. I'm a really big fan and I thought Aureate Gloom was pretty shit, but this one is a genuine step up. It's not one of the heyday albums, but it has traces of HF, SL, and PS strewn throughout.

Friendly reminder that Aureate Gloom is genuinely one of their best.

Shit taste user

It's true though.

>career low lyricism
>terrible 'jam band' songwriting
Empyrean abattoir and bassem sabry are both great but the majority of the album is bad

every of montreal song title looks the same

maybe if you're illiterate

True this
Not true

It has some of Kevin's best lyrics though.

Nah mate. He crosses the line from thoughtful perspective on angst into full blown whining. It's lyrically threadbare compared to any of his better albums, not to mention loaded with cliches.

Uneducated dingus detected
I don't think they went for a jam band kind of structure at all. I really don't follow you there.

>career low lyrics
It's definitely not some of their best but there's certainly gems of AG. I think it's far more lyrical than IR.
>people disappear on the wrong side of this revolution, when they resurface there's a black hole in their skull

God tier

Also career low for Kevin lyric-wise is better than the career highs of a majority of bands
I really enjoyed it too user. But as a hardcore fan they have too many great albums for me to put that near the top

>full blown whining
That's what I love about it though. He's much more straightforward with his bitterness.

Curious to see people try to make sense of adding IR to one of these charts

I didn't like it. Something like skeletal lamping is angsty writing done right imo. Anybody can whine. Not saying AG doesn't have it's moments or that anyone could write it, but it was a huge step in that direction

I agree. He's actually very expressive and less coded on AG

I would branch it off of Sunlandic and put "even more electropop" there

Honestly I could see "like def pacts?" leading to paralytic stalks, "like gratuitous abysses?" leading to Aureate Gloom, and "like chaos arpeggiating?" leading to lousy. The pop tunes sound nothing at all like sunlandic to me. Too many saw wave synthesizers.

I would branch it off from Paralytic Stalks saying "I want the synthpop back" or something, it has a similar feel to the album but has more of a Skeletal/Hissing sound.

>Upon Settling on the Frozen Island, Lecithin Present Claude and Coquelicot With His Animal Creations For Them to Accept or Reject
>My Fair Lady

They're different in tonality but in genre classification and general aesthetic they're pretty close to a lot of Sunlandic, especially the second half. But ya I agree you couldn't really liken to whole album to a single sound, it's a bit scramble-brained. I actually think Gratuitous, which is my favorite on the album as of now, reminds me a lot of the catchy choruses that would've shown up on Satanic Panic, with an added flare of energy. What do you think about their early stuff? Cherry Peel's actually my favorite album of theirs. I met Kevin(pic related) at the summer festival Athens does and he said that was up there for his favorite as well. I just love the innocence and simplicity of it. We talked for a little about how as he got more popular he started becoming less expressive and more guarded for a while, and had to acclimate, but had no problems spilling his guts on his first couple albums.
In the sense that it's very dance music influenced I see the Skeletal connection for sure, but I'm not sure I see much of one to Paralytic

I don't share this opinion but I respect the hell out of it

Exactly correct on the 2 best songs

I don't mind the early stuff, but Kevin himself is the reason I like it rather than the music itself. Though I'm not sure he was right to begrudge his old material the way he used to from maybe HF to PS years (refusing to play it live, calling it baby stuff or whatever). Seemingly he's made peace with it though, which is cool.

Ya I asked him about it too and he said in retrospect he thinks he was trying to escape his old stuff and deny his origin, and a lot of it had to do with fame fucking him up. I think he's more humbled now. Anyway they're kicking off their big tour for the album here in Athens in September and I am motherfucking psyched for the concert. Have you seen them before?

I like Paralytic for the same reasons for the new album, it's hard to explain but it has similar atmospheres for me.
I don't think this album can be linked to another album well since it is so varied, but I have the same opinion of Paralytic Stalks as it's a culmination of hissing, skeletal, and False Priest.

They came to my city for the first time in their career earlier this summer. I was crazy hyped and it was an amazing show. They played lots of HF and sunlandic, which was pleasantly surprising. I also didn't realize that Davey is in the current iteration of the band.

>tfw they're not coming to Canada

They just did m8, you missed out.

Wait actually? Please tell me you're joking. I thought their recent tour was in the US only.

They were here in may-june. Dates all over BC, AB, ON, and quebec

There were some occasional smatterings of shows outside the US I remember seeing, they came to the UK for about 1 date.

Riiiiiight, yes I did know about that, sorry. I'm in Ontario but Field Trip Fest was far too expensive for me. So I'm hoping for a standalone show at some point in the future.

my fair lady is a really great song

The ending is incredible. So blatantly Blackstar inspired.

Paralytic's one of my favorite OM albums. I think really the biggest connection I can draw as that they're both relatively dense and synth-heavy. But in terms of mood they couldn't be more different. Paralytic is claustrophobic and depressive, while IR is much more surface-level, and backbeat-emphasized to make for dancier tracks

Such a shitty fucking band.

Ya I saw em earlier in March and they played a lot from those 2 and they played My Fair Lady, and told us the album was to drop in August before they had even announced it which was cool. You know you're always gonna get your money's worth with OM live. I'm curious Did they do the donald trump thing at your concert too?

Why do you think that, and have you heard all their stuff? Because you can't even really have listened to less than 4 albums and be able to say that because they have so many different sounds.

>did they do the donald trump thing
Nah haha, but I'm in canada so I can see why

The show was right after the IR announcement and it's different for girls. They played gratuitous abysses, which was sweet. They actually played for over two hours, so yea definitely money's worth. Really amazing show.

>Because you can't even really have listened to less than 4 albums and be able to say that because they have so many different sounds.
I've listened to all of their albums (don't ask why) and they seem to get worse and worse as they progress. Nobody fucking wants to hear a band that is influenced by 60s music anymore, nobody wants more neo-disco anymore, nobody wants 'sleaze-funk'. Nobody wants anything that this shit band does.

>no one wants to hear a band influenced by 60's music anymore
>no one wants to hear 80% of current music anymore

All these things sound like your personal preference. There's a ton of people that like the neo-disco influence right now. Look at Neon Indian's last album which has become his most popular. People love funk and disco right now whether you like it or not. So I don't really see why you're calling a band shit just literally for the kind of music they make. I don't really consider that a valid criticism.
>Leonard Cohen is SHIT, no one wants boring acoustic guitar and piano music!

See how that sounds?

Ya they always play way over a normal set, I fucking love it. They ended on Past Is A Grotesque Animal at mine and ended with a crazy half hour jam fest that turned into aleatoric cymbal crashes and blasted guitar chords and soloing. It was nuts. I can't wait to watch them to Gratuitous at this next show

>Nobody fucking wants to hear a band that is influenced by 60s music anymore

The fuck?

Dude I feel like you're gonna look at this after you stop being so mad and realize what a retard you sounded like

Woah chill out man

after listened its different for girls, i was expecting a very comercial and straightforward abum. nice surprise

Thoroughly good album. The reviews are shit. I wasn't really a big fan of Aureate Gloom but this record is really something else. It's colorful and pleasing. It's not trying to be anything more than it is.

>Nobody fucking wants to hear a band that is influenced by 60s music anymore, nobody wants more neo-disco anymore, nobody wants 'sleaze-funk'
I do m8

Bun

bun

wut?

I love homosexuals but this album is just too gay for me

I'm not that familiar with their discography but it was AOTY

Bun -ny ain't no kind of rider

there's nothing overtly gay on the album though
I can't even think of anything covertly gay

Have you listened to other stuff? They have great albums that are less like that if that's your preference. You should check out coquelicot, a lot more experimental, based in storytelling, and wonderfully mathy and all over the place. It's an overwhelming album but rewarding. Or satanic is great for just fun pop songs

Ya I didn't really understand what he meant, I just assumed he was trying to say it was too sugary or something?

I'd agree with effeminate for the disco, synthpop, etc.

I think Coquelicot might cause aggressive diabetes if this was too sugary

>You should check out coquelicot, a lot more experimental, based in storytelling, and wonderfully mathy and all over the place. It's an overwhelming album but rewarding.
I really need to get on it then. This is pretty much exactly what I loved so much about Aureate Gloom

>muh 60s revival
This is how you know that rock is dead
Living genres have no use for revivalism

Love most of their discography. But 'It's different for girls' made me want to pull out my hair and shoot up an orlando gay club. You can't have a catchier sound with more puke in your mouth lyrics.

my dad died today please everybody post something for me out of respect

rubbin one out for ur dad m8

youtube.com/watch?v=DM2eSXrNOZM
>60s revival

what

Your fist is a red terror,
you tried to kill what you couldn’t reign
And now you're back in Knoxville
Masturbating your father's pain
Ooh oh
Masturbating your father's pain

apparently a lot of the lines are in quotes

the cd was late so I don't have it yet but that's what the leaked liner notes show

That's a good point but I still think he'd like it. It's a different kind of sugary, ya know?
AG was a solid album, fuck the haters
Haha definitely not a highlight of the album for me either. I think it'd be fun live tho
Now that you're Dad's so fatally damaged it looks like you have give all the love you wanted to give him to somebody else

>Now that you're Dad's so fatally damaged it looks like you have give all the love you wanted to give him to somebody else

Fucking savage

Sup Forums

youtube.com/watch?v=ImYVgrdeiac

Is he actually playing arpeggios?

>worst
nursing slopes
>best
def pacts

Not sure

>being THIS autistic

Do they want trap?

>nobody wants [entire genre]

Ok dude

Who cares about what it is, all that matters really is how well it's done, I mean if there had never been a good 'sleazy funk' album released all time, ever, there could still be a good sleazy funk album, it could come out tomorrow. That's a weightless argument

FUCK I love this band so much. IR honestly reminds me a lot of bottomless pit, in the sense that it's a fractured but seamless amalgamation of oM's various styles with a few new ideas thrown in. I loved Aureate Gloom but it definitely feels too similar when you first dig into the album. Innocence keeps things fresh without sacrificing that depth.

I genuinely don't understand how a lot of people hated Lousy With Sylvianbriar and Aureate Gloom (though it's a bit more understandable with Aureate). Can someone please explain to me (preferably someone who likes their other stuff) why they dislike those albums? I get that they're not the best oM has to offer, but they're still pretty damn enjoyable

I love them both, also don't understand the hate. However IR doesn't do anything for me

If you get into them with HF or SL like most people do, it can be a bit dull to jump right into an oM album with more traditional instrumentation or a more simple song structure. Some people really miss the glam and the prog.

I see that analogy. It's a good album, but But I can't help but wish they had gone more headfirst into this new contemp EDM influence rather than tightroping it and other styles. I just since I'm such a dedicated fan have heard their other styles so much and thought this was a really interesting direction for the band to go in, and makes a lot of sense in their discog. Overall I much prefer Aureate Gloom but at this point I just like anything OM puts out. Such an amazing, prolific band

Anyone pick it up? Aureate Gloom was pretty bare bones.

Is it me or does the tune that Kevin sings for the words "Chaos Arpeggiating" sound exactly like how he sings the words "Triumph of Disintegration"?

I thought Aureate Gloom was actually pretty maximal for the most part

the packaging? That's what I meant.

bare bones packaging