Bass Guitar

Okay Sup Forums why is it that everyone and their grandma want to play guitar but nobody ever talks about bass guitar? Is it harder to get into or something? I must know.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7DLpLekM8NY
youtube.com/watch?v=uE1zgrMdxBE
youtube.com/watch?v=OGGwv3Zjq88
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>general audiences pretend they care about bass when it's beating their ear drums due to proper headphone technology or speakers or whatever
>all they care about is WOOHOO BASS DROPS WOW YEAH I FEEL IT
>nobody has ever said "i dream of being a bass player" as a childhood wish
>looks just like a guitar
>lot of bass players in popular bands have no skill and mirror the guitars
>makes the instrument look boring
>"wow why would i play the bass? you cant even hear it!"

people assume you'll get less pussy if you play bass, in reality you get no pussy no matter what you play.

Bass is pretty much the middleman between the drums and the guitar so it's pretty much the least flashy instrument in most modern bands.

t. bass player

The only reason I picked up bass is because I thought it'd be easier to get in a band but it turns out I liked it more than guitar

reminder that squier vintage modified 70s jazz bass is the best budget bass.

$350 and sounds just like a fender jazz
youtube.com/watch?v=7DLpLekM8NY

everything i listen to either has very prominent bass or no bass at all
there's no middle ground

where does one begin if they want to learn bass guitar

listen to albums with a lot of good and hearable basslines

>mr bungle
>tool
>early rhcp
>porcupine tree
>ratm
>primus

Because everyone wants to be a guitarist. On the bright side it's easy to find a band if you're a reasonably competent bassist, whereas even if you're an amazing guitarist you're fucked since there are ten of you for every rhythm section instrumentalist

Hal Leonard Bass Method

tfw have a bass guitar but left handed :-(

sup mio

also pretty much any post-punk band
especially gang of four and pylon

Playing string instruments are about about as ambidextrous as you can get. Why not take up the challenge?

>Bands with good prominent basslines
>Not including Yes
Poor form, and I must be deaf because the only PT bassline I can remember are the various forms of Moonloop

Take it to a shop and have it worked on to be Left-handed friendly?

sup mccartney

because bass players are the patrician of the band and there aren't many patricians out there

good point. i tried it today and it felt awful but i should try to get use to it.

So be the Hendrix of bass.

eyyy my friend has this

You seem to be playing the wrong music. Metal I suppose

I've just gotten into guitar, and I much prefer finger picking to strumming chords. Would I like bass?

I preferred finger picking when I started playing guitar, and picked up bass few years later and I honestly like bass a lot better

Google good bass players.

If you're a pick player, you'll want to look up these guys:
Gerry McAvoy (Rory Gallagher)
D.D. Verni (Overkill)
Marcel Jacob (Talisman, Yngwie Malmsteen)
Rex Brown (Pantera, DOWN)
Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)
John Entwistle (The Who)
Carol Kaye (just Google her)
Jason Newsted (Metallica)
Gene Simmons (KISS)
Duff McKagan (Guns n' Roses, Velvet Revolver)
Bobby Vega (just Google him)
Bob Daisley (Ozzy, Rainbow, Gary Moore)

desu

Radiohead also has a lot of surprisingly prominent, quality basslines in their songs that are also pretty easy to play for a beginner.

Shit like Fog, TNA, half the stuff on AMSP.

damn,
>jason newsted - not cliff burton
>gene simmons?
>no victor wooten
>no bootsy collins
>no charles mingus
>not even something obvious like les claypool
the only dudes i would keep on this list are roger waters and john entwistle

>If you're a pick player, you'll want to look up these guys:
None of those guys you listed play with a pick.
Another great picked bassist is Matt Freeman.
youtube.com/watch?v=uE1zgrMdxBE

Well, basically because rock music has been the biggest genre for a while, and in commercial rock tunes the Bass is basically used exclusively as a support instrument. Drums would have gone the same way if it weren't for metal.

Thankfully, that kind of rock seems to be being replaced as the dominant music genre in the public eye, so it's set to change.

Because this isn't a bass

as a guitar player i have to say the bass is probably one of my favorite intsruments, perhaps even more than the guitar. theres something about the deep ethereal noise, especially when the chorus is turned on the amp, it's like a combination of 10 guitars playing underwater but on a single instrument. maybe its just personal preference but i cant help but go into a trance and listen every time my friend who plays bass plays a song. its an amazing underrated instrument.

godsmack and muse should be added to that list as well.

Guitar is flashier and more impressive to people who don't know dick about playing an instrument. You could play simple things and blow people's minds but play simple things on bass and no one will give a shit.
I primarily consider myself a guitarist and I mostly play math rock or various heavy things but I am only slightly worse on a bass and I love both instruments. Really, I think guitarists should be able to play bass (none of that root note shit) and vice versa.

>rock musicians
>good

top kek

Lol Faggot

Rock musicians are a meme, don't worry you'll learn this when you get out of highschool.

I own one myself but I put Ultra Jazz pickups in it and replaced the bridge with a Badass Bridge. For something that I paid less than full price for, it's a great fucking instrument and even stock, totally worth it.

P R I M U S
R
I
M
U
S

Descendents and ALL two out of three bass players have fun lines and runs and it's not too hard (like Primus is just fucking impossible plus you'd need a 6 stringer for a lot of shit)

youtube.com/watch?v=OGGwv3Zjq88
So mesmerizing.