/comp/ - Composition General

"With maturity comes the wish to economize - to be more simple. Maturity is the period when one finds the just measure." - Bela Bartok

previous thread: An experiment in a pen-and-paper composing general, made for all the theory autists

Post clyps and accompanying notation so we can accurately critique your composing from a theory perspective

THEORY

>Fux's Counterpoint
opus28.co.uk/Fux_Gradus.pdf

>Orchestration (Rimsky-Korsakov)
northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/77-Principles-of-Orchestration

>Teoria - Music Theory General Guides/Articles
teoria.com/index.php

>Arnold Schcoenberg's "Fundementals of Music Composition"
monoskop.org/images/d/da/Schoenberg_Arnold_Fundamentals_of_Musical_Composition_no_OCR.pdf

>Jazz harmony (from the course at Berklee)
davidvaldez.blogspot.com/2006/04/berklee-jazz-harmony-1-4.html

PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS

>Basic composing
youtube.com/watch?v=hWbH1bhQZSw

>Free Notation Software
musescore.org/

IMPROVISATION

>Fake books for jazz and blues soloing
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzW9o5O35hQzMzA0ZmI0MWEtZGFmNi00OTQ0LWI2MjMtOWUyNzgyNmUzNzNm&usp=drive_web&ddrp=1&hl=en#

STUFF /COMP/ DOES

>the /comp/ YouTube channel
youtube.com/channel/UCqUEaKts92UIstFjrz9BfcA

>the /comp/ challenge
[email protected]

>/comp/ Georgian Modes Explanation by yodAnon
dropbox.com/s/v26nd8bepv74d8s/Gregorian Modes v1.5.pdf?dl=0

>/comp/ Google Drive folder
drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/0B8L6-YOBO_NIOXk1OXRsTDlWMHc

Other resources (full of lessons and books): pastebin.com/EjYVcErt

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nx-N9I1eZyM
clyp.it/brifow22
youtube.com/watch?v=-V4bGocFwnE
youtube.com/watch?v=xNwk9_bbr0E
youtube.com/watch?v=T2EhW-k3yPs
youtube.com/watch?v=HIJMy356YD4
youtube.com/watch?v=eibaIE7Dwso
clyp.it/tfqj4oft
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Explain.

let's talk about mozart mocking untalented composers.

youtube.com/watch?v=nx-N9I1eZyM

vump

taking last submissions for sonata challenge! post em!

im not done with my sonatina yet
are we still on that?

yeah. I'm just waiting for everyone to finish now

should I post what I've go so far
Im on the development
of the first movement

sure, let's see some WIPs

>that trill
>why

i like fugue
bach

basically mozart was poking at talentless composers of his time, who'd try to spice up uninspired generic compositions with ill-placed ornaments.

>try to spice up uninspired generic compositions with ill-placed ornaments

too bad he unironically did that all the time

Hey guys, I finished scoring a short film recently. Sadly I cannot post it with the footage but I'd love some feedback and questions/comments.

clyp.it/brifow22

example?

Any example of OP's pic? How can a melody stay in the tonic?

Mozart's piano sonata no. 10 (K.330)
youtube.com/watch?v=-V4bGocFwnE
the theme at 0:46 is played in G major then in the recapitulation, at 5:34 the same theme is played in the tonic key of C

>Any example of OP's pic?
Most first movements of multi-movement works.

This guy's channel has a lot of good examples.
youtube.com/watch?v=xNwk9_bbr0E
This Mozart Viola Quintet is a really clear-cut example.
youtube.com/watch?v=T2EhW-k3yPs
So's Schumann's Fourth Symphony.
youtube.com/watch?v=HIJMy356YD4

>How can a melody stay in the tonic?
Are you asking about the recapitulation? In that case you basically modulate in a different way from the exposition, but move to a place so that the original modulation to theme 2 is 'aimed' towards the tonic.

How do I compose this?
youtube.com/watch?v=eibaIE7Dwso

>2016
>still writing formulaic sonata allegro songs
seems to me that music theory suffers a total lack of imagination when it comes to form

You can easily avoid writing sonata allegro if you want.

and yet it's probably a lot easier to avoid writing good, interesting, thought-provoking form than it is to avoid writing sonata allegro

okay?

>songs
It's named for the literal opposite of a song.

what is the literal opposite of a song? silence?

A sonata. Something played on an instrument.

>songs aren't played on instruments
man.. what??

No, songs are sung by a singer.

>finished
>haven't bothered putting it on Finale yet
shit, shit, shit

how do you apply counterpoint to melodies with non-diatonic notes?

You do the same.

so if i have a cantus firmus in c lydian with a Bb somewhere in there i still just follow all the rules? wont there be le evil dissonances?

a song is a piece for solo voice and accompaniment, something the poplar music world seems to not understand.

Not every piece of music is a "song"

Better than intro-verse-chorus-verse imo. At least sonata form has some deveploment of the ideas. Something else popular music neglects. Melodies dont have to be the exact same every time. They can evolve.

Try applied chords/tonicization. That or treat the non-diatonic cf note as a passing note or something

your chromatic note is either implying a non-diatonic chord, in which case you can choose notes that are relevant to that chord, or your chromatic note is a passing note or approach note, in which case you can treat your counterpoint in a parallel / contrary way (this is how augmented 6th chords started). You could also just have your counter voice be in a different species

draft for next challenge let me know what you guys think:
compose a short piece for a single monophonic instrument making use of latent harmony (the implied harmony produced by the content of a single line over time, like Bach's Cello Suite Prelude). Instruments with limited polyphonic capabilities (i.e. the strings) can be used if those capabilities are avoided.
The piece must be harmonically clear and compelling, it shouldn't sound like an unaccompanied melody. Use

I also thought of another challenge based on something I had done previously, not sure how you guys might feel about this but it could be good for a future challenge, please let me know what you guys think about it:
Compose a piece where all the harmonic content is based on sets of triads with mutually exclusive pitch classes (example E, F#, Cm, Dm, none of the pitch classes of these chords overlap). You may use multiple sets of triads, or transpositions of one set, but they have to occur in different phrases or sections of your piece. Techniques such as suspension, pedal and harmonic anticipation and others can be used to develop the harmony beyond triads if needed.

First challenge sounds simple and clearcut. Second sounds right up my alley, but could you elaborate on it?

considering we've had some anons asking how to compose for melodic instrument before, I thinm the first is best

I agree, I was thinking of the second one for a future challenge and just wanted to get some opinions if it's shit or not
So it's kind of hard to explain, but you can have four triads that don't share any common tones between them, an example is E, F#, Cm, Dm. Or C+, C#+, G and Ebm. Let's call these sets. Each section of your piece can only contain chords from that set, and you must use each chord in a set at least once per section before you move on to another set (you can use them multiple times).

EX. Set 1 is E, F#, Cm, Dm, my Section 1 has a harmonic progression of E Cm E F# Cm Dm, then I move on to Section 2 which uses Set 2, C+, C#+, G and Ebm, etc.

Here's an example I wrote, attempting to get this to sound as lyrical / tonal as possible. clyp.it/tfqj4oft
My first section uses the set Db, Eb, Am, Bm. At 0:19 I move on to the next section and then use a different set E, F#, Cm, Dm for the rest of the piece. In the section section I used suspended bass notes and pedal to expand on the harmonic rigidity of the triads. I can post sheet music later when I get home if anyone wants

Basically the challenge is to compose with this specific, novel approach to a kind of """serial""" harmonic system.

One thing I don't see the point of is the mutually-exclusive rule.

Other than that it totally soundslike my kind of thing.

The mutually exclusive pitch classes mean that your harmony will use every western pitch once, so it's a different approach to a softly serial/atonal harmony. It was really tough to write a melody when your harmony has zero common tones too, so it's a good excercise

Im gonna be starting my first year in composition at this university this fall and was wondering if any comp students could tell me what its like. Am I expected to compose a certain kind of music?

In my own college it's more of a general composition class, some do jazz, some do classical, some do whatever.

My college is a community college (with an exceptional music program, but still), though, so take that for what you will

what school

How can I make a chord progression that sounds like it's not going anywhere?

I-IV-V on loop

what style?

But a tonic pedal point should work in most styles

ambient. tried some stuff with pedal note but didn't work

if it's ambient you don't necessarily need to think in terms of chord progression. You can try to think of your harmony as a lot of lines that move around independently, making incomplete chords, clusters, etc. i attached a pretty shitty example of what I'm talking about (i'd have this really slow, and not all the same note value, but just demonstrating how i'm talking about the harmonic movement)

Also, why was the pedal note working?

Careful not to get it to sound like a dominant pedal instead.

Never go back to the I chord, perhaps try using serialism or even just random bass notes so that we never get a sense of key.

You could also try an ostinato bassline like E-F-E-D# on repeat

comp is ded

it's nighttime in the americas

it been dead all day. 64 posts 14 posters

university of Toronto

RIP in peace comp

you're doing one of these?

MUS 110H1 - Introduction to Music History and Culture
MUS 111H1 - Historical Survey of Western Music
MUS 120Y1 - Vocal & Instrumental Ensemble I
HMU 111H1 - Introduction to Music and Society
TMU 115H1 - Musical Skills I & II
TMU 140Y1 - Music Theory I & II

regardless, you'll be composing western art music - classical music

May comp survive the night

life support

I've been a bit dry these days. Anyways, will try and put together the steam on figured bass this weekend.

Anyone know some good software for visualizing midi keyboard input for windows?

any DAW

Even Audacity has MIDI support

Alright, cool

wait, I don't really think you should use Audacity. Other DAWs are way better. FL Studio is generally regarded as having the best piano roll (it's what displays MIDI data), butt is sometimes regarded as a weaker DAW (for whatever reason). Abelton is more popular amongst professionals, and Cubase is actually made by the company that invented VSTs, a common type of MIDI instrument. Reaper is free, and pretty good too. Free doesn't mean shit though, you can easily find some crack for each software somewhere.

hey im new so correct me if this wrong
for challenges, are there like set rules that youre supposed to evoke a certain period of classical music or can i go full avant garde all of the time

Most of the time challenges are open-style, people have submitted jazz and electronic music before so do whatever as long as it fits.

Of course full avant garde serialism and microtonal granola clusters won't work if the challenge has something to do with traditional harmony, etc. Well maybe it will, just go for it who cares

alright, cool
anyways, what's y'all's favorite reich piece? mine is sextet

proverb.

More composers should go neo-renaissance

Right, but my problem with that is that it's really limiting. I'm trying and failing to assuage my autism and figure out the mathematics behind this, but I mean for instance, let's you're trying to come up with a set, and you start out with two major triads a half-step apart.
>CEG, CMaj
>DbFAb, DbMaj
>remaining notes: D, Eb, Gb, A, Bb, B
So long as you're sticking to triads, you have only one possible 'solution' to the set, and one of the chords is only technically a triad.
>CEG, CMaj
>DbFAb, DbMaj
>GbBbD, Gb+ (D+, Bb+)
>ACbEb, Italian sixth (but in 'root' position)

So yeah, my main objection is that you end up having to use one of a few possible chord relations.

Mostly though I was sort of working out ways to serialize chord quality and harmonic rhythm so I could invert it and get up to all sorts of shenanigans

It is very limiting, but less than you imagine. If you consider transposition and the fact that you change sets after using all the triads in your set, you can move around quite a lot.

A way to loosen the restriction would be to allow non-triadic three note chords, so you could have a set like
C major
Eb minor
F dim
D A C# (incomplete Dmaj7) but that would be less conducive to some styles over others

>serialism
>avant-garde
some 50 years late brod

>say granola clusters
>still get taken seriously
okay boy...

yea those are my core courses :)
Has anyone here, gone to a similar school as this one that could tell me how it was?

Right, but I mean the point of sets and serialism was that it remained in use at least for a significant part of the piece. (Of course, the original point was just to systematically use all pitches equally often, but I'm talking about serialism post-Schoenberg.) Not much point in having a set if you change sets immediately after using it once.

how do you audition for a conservatory if you want to be a comp major? i am nowhere near a professional on my best instrument and just want to write music

Well this system is not quite serialism anyways, it just forces you to use each western pitch harmonically in a fairly short time, so it's more like a different harmonic system altogether rather than drawing from serialism. I don't think the fact that you can change sets gets in the way of that goal, since you're still being forced to incorporate each note into your harmony

please respond

well I auditioned by playing some repertoire on my instrument and having a portfolio of some of my compositions but mine was a university, not a conservatory. there was also an interview. The process differs slightly depending on the conservatory but the specifics are usually on the website and its all similar stuff

I know some places just require the portfolio/interview

>try to do something slightly uncommon with a hairpin
>Finale quits unexpectedly
>three hours since my last save

fuck it, you're just getting the notes and a recording.

Could someone explain why a 'CMaj7 to a Bmin7' chord progression sounds so beautiful? What exactly am I doing?

Is it a 6 to 5 progression in the key of Em, or perhaps tritone substitution in the key of Bm? This has to be one of my favorite chord movements I've discovered, but I am a music theory newfag, and am pretty much just stumbling around blindly right now.

Please enlighten this pleb Sup Forums! I beg you

If you literally only have the chords Cmaj7 to Bmin7 in a vacuum I would say you're in C lydian and you're going from IVmaj7 to VIImin7. This of course depends on your melody, and the rest of the piece. I would say it's probably not E minor, could definitely be G major and you're just doing IVmaj7 to IIImin7 (IIImin7 being a substitution of I maj7, so you're just doing IV I IV I etc)

But yeah exactly what you're doing depends a lot on context and melody, but it's pretty because you're implying a C lydian scale with the F# from B minor, and lydian is pretty.

I just reviewed my melody, and I think you hit the nail on the head when you said I was in the key of G and doing a IV-I-IV-I. I had no knowledge about the idea/concept of substituting the tonic. Thanks for that now I can read up on this on wikipedia.

Hey, by the way, and I may just be fucking retarded, but if I were in C lydian wouldn't this by a Imaj7 to VIImin7?

>but if I were in C lydian wouldn't this by a Imaj7 to VIImin7?
Yup you're right I'm just a fucking retard