Grunge discussion ?

Hey Mu, I got my nirvana tattoo recently and it got me thinking, who do you think were the best grunge bands ?
Nirvana has amazing raw energy but its not technically impressive.
Alice in chains was very melodic and they harmonised a lot while singing.
I hate pearl jam.
I like sound garden but I get a, it all sounds the same vibe when I listen to bad motor finger.
I also love stone temple pilots and temple of the dog.
Then you have got all the underground stuff like mudhoney, green river, the melvins, D7 and dandelion.
Any recommendations, I genuinely want to see some other people's opinion on my favourite genre of music !

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QECJ9pCyhns
youtube.com/watch?v=iRzAh2-Ukjc
youtube.com/watch?v=sC2GjXMk7i4
youtube.com/watch?v=2z0cKtSlHOU
youtube.com/watch?v=VUb450Alpps
youtube.com/watch?v=xRH6I8baK7o
youtube.com/watch?v=tWZ9ihZ_TUw
youtube.com/watch?v=MnB7zNrnRqk
youtube.com/watch?v=PE5f561Y1x4
youtube.com/watch?v=fLWmTw_HTA8
youtube.com/watch?v=Hp5r9qwqpPc
youtube.com/watch?v=HWxS48yOwfI
youtube.com/watch?v=Nco_kh8xJDs
youtube.com/watch?v=M0l-Oqabipk
youtube.com/watch?v=SJKvE3tMIPs
youtube.com/watch?v=FjXPjpkInLk
youtube.com/watch?v=HffbME_B7JQ
youtube.com/watch?v=2TRVJpruBsM
youtube.com/watch?v=FDVpRR755rc
youtube.com/watch?v=MK73Y-W8JJg
youtube.com/watch?v=O3dWBLoU--E
youtube.com/watch?v=iUHxx0ZeIZU
youtube.com/watch?v=NAdlZ2F-fs8
youtube.com/watch?v=2bS-D8YP6vg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>underground stuff
>the melvins

Alice in chains are severely underrated in my opinion, representing "what the hell have I" for their best song.

>AiC
>underrated
Dirt is by many considered the best grunge album, Jar of Flies is hailed as best EP of all time and Staley reached cult status, I don't really think so.

It is in the uk fag, You ask anyone who says they like grunge about them and they give you the WTF are you on about look.

I like nirvana too but people who idolise kurt cobain are stupid, he was an idiot who wanted to become famous and then killed himself and abandoned his daughter when he did become famous.

Nirvana's technical proficiency is underrated for the fact that they were a 3 piece

Well as someone who was realy into Britpop and used to despise grunge AIC is by far my favorite grunge band.

Wow, edgy

Mad Season, of course.

Just the truth, even Courtney love says it in montage of heck.

Soundgarden is the best for sure but several of the are great.

This isn't a personal discussion of Kurt. And your summary is a gross simplification of a person you really have no insight on.

Yeah, Stone temple pilots are my favourite, I've been trying to get a hold of their unplugged show, but id have a better chance of actually getting laid than finding a copy of it.

jesus

I mean I understand the whole "Seattle" thing but why would you even compare any of these bands to the other

It's fucking stupid

Yeah because it's not like they totally released his journals, personal footage of him and all this other wackadoo shit, of course no one would have a general idea of what he was like at all

enlighten me, this isn't a comparison, I was asking what your favourite grunge bands were.

Grunge isn't a genre and if you think there's anything comparable in Mudhoney's, Melvins', Nirvana's and AiC's music other than the geographical region where they came from you are a nimrod (like everyone back in the early 90s was).

Okay well they were all big in the same period of time, most of their songs focus around angst filled lyrics and while song structure varies they usually have shared characteristics like simple riffs, lots of distortion and shouted loud choruses. this all just a subjective opinion, I feel like I unintentionally triggered you. anyway what would you call them ?

Thanks, I didn't know that existed, the AIC and Nirvana unplugged shows were heavenly so I definitely gotta check that out.

Layne staley did a awesome song called river of deceit with a band called mad season, you should check it out.

I will, thanks user

Grunge starter set:

youtube.com/watch?v=QECJ9pCyhns
youtube.com/watch?v=iRzAh2-Ukjc
youtube.com/watch?v=sC2GjXMk7i4
youtube.com/watch?v=2z0cKtSlHOU
youtube.com/watch?v=VUb450Alpps
youtube.com/watch?v=xRH6I8baK7o
youtube.com/watch?v=tWZ9ihZ_TUw
youtube.com/watch?v=MnB7zNrnRqk
youtube.com/watch?v=PE5f561Y1x4
youtube.com/watch?v=fLWmTw_HTA8
youtube.com/watch?v=Hp5r9qwqpPc
youtube.com/watch?v=HWxS48yOwfI
youtube.com/watch?v=Nco_kh8xJDs
youtube.com/watch?v=M0l-Oqabipk
youtube.com/watch?v=SJKvE3tMIPs
youtube.com/watch?v=FjXPjpkInLk
youtube.com/watch?v=HffbME_B7JQ
youtube.com/watch?v=2TRVJpruBsM
youtube.com/watch?v=FDVpRR755rc
youtube.com/watch?v=MK73Y-W8JJg
youtube.com/watch?v=O3dWBLoU--E
youtube.com/watch?v=iUHxx0ZeIZU
youtube.com/watch?v=NAdlZ2F-fs8
youtube.com/watch?v=2bS-D8YP6vg

Thank you user, I'll check em out

yep :)
I tried to include the major ones

Not being able to grasp why Soundgarden is the best band to come out of that scene