youtube.com/watch?v=DEKxmze3W-w
youtube.com/watch?v=UUSJKcM4N6Y
youtube.com/watch?v=Iw7rG8urzP0
youtube.com/watch?v=vaZxpZ5n2N8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>mfw when Pet Sounds and SMiLE top everything the Beatles made

beach boys have 3 master piece albums
the beatles at least 5

The Beatles have at least five great albums, and one-two of those master - pieces. However, Brian's peak was higher than theirs and everyone else's.

>its another compare beatles and beach boys thread

mfw most people just see the beach boys as the fun surfer rock group

WHY

you can see the magic leave his eyes..

At least Beach Boys and Beatles is a fair comparison.

When people compare TVU or The Mothers of Invention to The Beatles that's when you know they're an idiot.

>friends ask me what I've been listening to lately
>tell them I listen to the Beach Boys
>''that band with the gay haircuts and cars, that shit's for girls.''
>tell them Pet Sounds is a lot more mature
>put on Wouldn't it be nice
>''that's pretty gay and it sounds so outdated''

this was in highschool and I actually stopped listening to the Beach Boys because I was so embarassed.

FUCK

>and I actually stopped listening to the Beach Boys because I was so embarassed
this makes me sad

Smile was bolder than anything The Beatles have ever done.

I never tried Pet Sounds because of this, but then I saw Love and Mercy and decided to give it a try. Pretty good album, but not something I listen to a lot.

Who the fuck do I listen to Smile?
The Smile Sessions? Brian Wilson Presents?
Also Pet Sounds is good but it's overrated imo. Great at the time but doesn't hold up as well as other classics

Sessions, then 'Presents.'

I think Pet Sounds is forever timeless.

I think The Beatles must be considered greater, but only because they had the advantage of working together as a more solid artistic unit and produced great works consistently. I think Brian Wilson had a genius to his songwriting though that Lennon-McCartney never matched/bettered. Pet Sounds is superior musically, intellectually, emotionally to any Beatles album. It's just The Beatles had more great albums than Brian/The Beach Boys.

fwiw, kokomo is better than ob-la-di ob-la-da

Ironically, and sadly, that might be true

>mfw beach boys invented chillwave

youtube.com/watch?v=RO_LX-m74uw

way better than the beatles

>looks at wouldn't it be nice
>Pop song utilizing jazz chords, I.e. Gm7, C7, Dm7, Am7, others
>looks at any Beatles song
>ah, good 'ol C, G, and F
easy does it, amirite?

I think Brian Wilson had an artistry that could be compared to Gerhswin, Debussy, Ravel, and Stravinsky, But he fucked up too much for that artistry to rival them

He has the innocence of Faure in many of his songs, and that Faure comparison in his songs in my opinion isn't far off

youtube.com/watch?v=DEKxmze3W-w
youtube.com/watch?v=UUSJKcM4N6Y
youtube.com/watch?v=Iw7rG8urzP0

Tbf Beatles chord progressions became more complex as time went on (definitely because of Pet Sounds' influence), but they were never on the same level as Brian's best progressions and chord changes.

>the meme where we pretend the beach boys are good

Definitely. Wilson was always ahead of them. And despite their complexity, the Beach Boys sound is always accessible.

Wait a sec this AnCo?

youtube.com/watch?v=vaZxpZ5n2N8

>yfw this scene was inspired by brian wilson hearing "strawberry fields forever" for the first time

You heard it here first folks, The Beach Boys owe the Beatles everything, and are talentless hacks.

what does this have to do with brian

To be thirteen again...

>malcolm mcdowell = john lennon
>old man = brian wilson
>"singin in the rain" = "strawberry fields forever"

It's pottery.

Hearing Strawberry Fields Forever for the first time had a great effect on Brian who was on sedatives at the time

i read somwhere that 'dont talk' used almost all unresolved chord progressions, which gave it that unsure unconfident feeling

Totally agree now that I know that. Hold on, I've gotta go smash my Beach Boys records, fucking hacks.

if you'd replace pet sounds with some "normie garbage" like AM or Tame impala, then this could be applicable to anyone's first visit to Sup Forums

>Four hacks
>One genius
(One more genius than most bands like)

Yeah it's called creating tension, which diminished chords also do. I guess that settled it then, The Doors can't even compare to The Beatles God-tier unresolved progressions.

That's what's genius about Brian's best works. The music (chord changes, arrangements etc.) support the emotion. Lesser songwriters just focus on presenting the emotion through lyrics.

>That Ab6 to Abm7 in Caroline No

>it's a "i can't listen to 'pet sounds' anymore because it hits way too close to home" episode

I went through all kinds of changes
Took a look at myself and said that's not me