/grimes/

Discuss the talented and lovely Canadian artist Claire Boucher (aka Grimes).

Leave your opinion on her music.
- How and when did you find out about her?
- Did you see/plan to her live?
- Who would you like to see her collab with?
- Rank/rate her albums
- Post your 10 favorite Grimes songs

>best
>runner-up
>worst
>underrated
>overrated

Video of the day: dailymotion.com/video/x4k3593

Keep it music related, and be nice to Grimes!

Other urls found in this thread:

sementality.tumblr.com/post/37752533343/grimes-messenger-fin
reddit.com/r/Grimes/comments/4g84rl/grimes_downloads_various_rare_collaborations/
vmagazine.com/article/suicide-squad-soundtrack-number-one-albums-chart/
oystermag.com/grimes-is-working-on-chill-new-album-and-lana-del-rey-style-edition-of-art-angels
sementality.tumblr.com/archive
www58.zippyshare.com/v/VmLplkZV/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=N9XKLqGqwLA
vimeo.com/53908082
soundcloud.com/actuallygrimes/d-r-o-m-e-whoknoidontno
articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-10-17/entertainment/chi-grimes-interview-electropop-artist-grimes-profiled-20121017_1_electro-olive-oil-goth
youtube.com/watch?v=s7rM67NPhZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=td9BdBRcALc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

hey! I'm someone on youtube linked me the last song on the drome blog
sementality.tumblr.com/post/37752533343/grimes-messenger-fin

I've downloaded two grimes unreleased compilations and this isn't in any of them

>best
Visions

>runner-up
Art Angels

>worst
Geidi Primes

>underrated
Halfaxa

>overrated
none

This is her only good pic

Sorry, I don't have that one. I collected all Grimes rarities but I couldn't find that one...

yes, but there you have it!

Objectively wrong.

Cool - thanks for the heads-up.

Rarities: reddit.com/r/Grimes/comments/4g84rl/grimes_downloads_various_rare_collaborations/

I've been debating on whether or not I should write grimes a fan letter

does anybody know where I would send such a thing? apparently there's someone at her label I can send it to, but I haven't seen anything.

You should write to her manager:

Lauren Valencia at Roc Nation
infoATgrimesmusic.com

Of course, ask her politely to pass your letter to Claire. If there's nothing dubious, I think she will deliver the letter.

Do you guys think she will ever released any of the thousands of unreleased songs she has? I know that Lana Del Rey also has tons of unreleased songs but she's said she doesn't like to revisit old projects.

She said something about an Art Angels deluxe edition. She believes that she made a lot of crap songs despite those songs being potentially amazing.

The Suicide Squad soundtrack (that includes Medieval Warfare) hit #1 spot in the US album charts: vmagazine.com/article/suicide-squad-soundtrack-number-one-albums-chart/

>Suicide Squad may be getting slaughtered by fans and movie critics alike, but its soundtrack is making a killing. Officially released on August 5, the album debuted at number one on the Billboard 200, which tracks the top albums of the moment by measuring traditional album sales, track equivalent albums, and streaming equivalent albums. Featuring Grimes, Kehlani, Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa, Eminem, Imagine Dragons, Mark Ronson, Dan Auerbach, and more, it's no surprise why the Suicide Squad mix is so successful. With 182,000 equivalent album units, it is the highest performing soundtrack in a year-and-a-half (since 2015's Pitch Perfect 2 album).

> She said something about an Art Angels deluxe edition.

Really? I hope she does!

Can someone please explain why this movies is so bad? I watched it and I liked it.

oystermag.com/grimes-is-working-on-chill-new-album-and-lana-del-rey-style-edition-of-art-angels

>As for the new edition of Art Angels, "You know how Lana Del Rey put out Paradise Edition after Born To Die? It would be like that. There are songs I seriously considered for Art Angels, but they fucked with the momentum when I tried to put them on the record."

She has a lot of sweet songs laying around.

I think some hate the Joker character and because film is too dark for a comic based production. I didn't see it yet.

desu i dont read comics, but according to my brother who is a huge comic enthusiast heath ledger's joker was just as bad as jared leto's.

The Joker was absent during most of the movie, though.

This is the best news I've read today!

I'm captain obvious for a moment: everybody has their own taste.

New album when?

Take that with a grain of salt. Claire has the habit of changing her mind very quickly. That >67179335
is old new already. Who knows if she still has plans for AA deluxe...

2017? 2018?

In meantime she could release an EP or something. Or AA deluxe with extra songs that didn't make the cut.

you're welcome! I wrote about it on let's see if someone adds it somehow

some rare grimes in that tumblr
sementality.tumblr.com/archive

i mean i can see why

batman is an edgy comic, but the joker was never really actually edgy.

nolan's joker was the edge master supreme.

:(

Thanks. Here's Messenger, the third Drome (aka Grimes) track: www58.zippyshare.com/v/VmLplkZV/file.html

So why did Grimes ended up releasing REALiTi? Why didn't she just throw it always like the rest of that album?

>since this is no longer gonna be on the album, I’m releasing it as a special thank you to everyone in Singapore, KL, Manila, Jakarta, HK, Shanghai, Beijing, Taipei, Seoul, Osaka, Nagoya and Tokyo who came out to the shows! It was an honor to play with a bunch of amazing bands and travel to places I would never otherwise be able to go
youtube.com/watch?v=N9XKLqGqwLA

I think her friends insisted. What she calls a simplistic pop song is actually an amazing song. The artists aren't the best judges of their own music.

That's so nice of her.

Grimes always changes her mind. She said that she scrapped an album for being too poppy only to release her poppiest album by far, Art Angels. Always contradictory.

didn't she say it was because it was so depressing?

I think you're right.

Someone should make some gifs from this video: vimeo.com/53908082

is this a music discussion or what?

Yes. It involves her. Discussing the artist is still music discussion.

does anybody know what vsts and plugins she used in halfaxa?

I don't think she talked too much about Halfaxa. Many interviews from that era simply disappeared...

Say you download this Drome track from here: soundcloud.com/actuallygrimes/d-r-o-m-e-whoknoidontno

If you look at the tags there's a little surprise: apparently there was an album "purify" that was never released.

Yes - Anons on /mu - not always too good with the details (granted I'm too lazy right to cite my own sources, so...)

grimes!

She's so cool.

literally the coolest

Here's some insight on how her music career started: articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-10-17/entertainment/chi-grimes-interview-electropop-artist-grimes-profiled-20121017_1_electro-olive-oil-goth

“I stopped enjoying school, mainly because I realized that the last thing I wanted was to have a job sitting at a desk,” she says. “I’d hang out with my friends, everyone chilling out, and one guy would be recording stuff. He’d say, ‘I need some girl background vocals on this track,’ and I’d volunteer. It was instant gratification, positive affirmation. ‘Hey, you can sing.’ I would watch my friends using the software to create tracks. It didn’t seem complicated, and I had this lightbulb moment: I can do this!”

Boucher used a computer as her band, initially building tracks that featured her tentative vocals atop glitchy textures and kick-drum dance beats.

“I didn’t own any instruments and wasn’t really able to play anything,” she says. “I didn’t see the point of getting instruments if I could make fake guitars and drums on the computer. It has more possibilities: you turn the sub bass up, create a sine wave, and play with the wave form.”

Her first show at a friend’s loft space in Montreal might’ve been enough to abort the careers of most wanna-be performers.

“I don’t remember much, because I was completely blanked-out drunk I was so nervous,” she says. “I tried to play my entire show on ukulele, the only instrument I could find. This was before I found out about samplers. It was a notably terrible show. I played for 10 minutes, but I realized I could do better. And eventually I did. It was bad, but anything was better than what I was doing at the time, which was writing grants and working at the school radio station.”

[continued]

She started developing an act when she bribed a friend to give her some technology lessons. “Kyle was homeless, living in a band’s jam space, and I traded him two cans of chick peas and some olive oil in exchange for teaching me how to use a sampler. What was strange about that experience is that Kyle had no idea what olive oil was until that day.”

Kyle taught her well. “The thing about music is it’s not an obscure pursuit, it’s a very natural thing for human beings to do,” Boucher says. “Once you put in the effort, the learning curve is very fast.”

She learned by doing. Boucher took gigs anywhere she could find them, playing shows in basements, lofts and bars with no monitors, and became more demonstrative and assertive as a singer and dancer behind her keyboards and sampler. “I was really poor and desperate,” she says. “I was driven by the idea that I had no other options.”

She self-released a couple of albums in 2010, which expanded her audience. The next year she recorded the album that would become her 2012 4AD debut, “Visions,” in her bedroom with a keyboard, computer, computer interface and microphone – a few hundred dollars worth of gear. “Visions” was soaked in the ambiance of that room: dark, danceable, introspective, unsettling.

“I thought I’d put the album out with friends, but labels started talking to us,” she says. “We went with 4AD because it was the only label that never asked me to change anything artistically. Everyone else wanted to change something about the record or my appearance. There was an assumption that I wanted to be a major-label pop singer and these label people wanted me to work with a quote-unquote ‘real’ producer. That was upsetting to me because that’s what I assumed my job was.”

maybe is the name of the ep with the 3 songs?

If things she has released she thought were good, then I'd be terrified to hear what she thought was bad.

Horribly acted, horribly lit and shot, horribly written, horribly edited and horribly directed.

Wow, user. You truly enlightened me

Apparently whoever directed it didn't have any experience with these kinds of films. They were also unsure about the story; they even did some audience tests between two unfinished test versions.

I'm feeling inspired

If this shitty fuckup can become a B-list musician and celebrity, who's to say I can't become a C-list musician?

Could you at least sing and play like that? youtube.com/watch?v=s7rM67NPhZ8

>shitty fuckup
Hey, be nice to Grimes!

Haven't seen it yet myself, but - based on what I've gleaned of it and the critical/fan response to it so far - it sounds like a lot of people were expecting it to be a grade-A superhero masterpiece and got disappointed when it turned out to be a lavishly produced B-movie instead (which all it was ever supposed to be given the source material and all...) Again, this entirely based on conjecture - feel free to disagree.

Not that I enjoy defending trolls. However...

>

she called herself it first. besides she's far smarter and far more dedicated than i am. I'll never be as successful as her...

I can kind of play, but i haven't really dedicated much time to music. mostly just dabbling/learning software.

>I'll never be as successful as her...
You set the goal too high. Try to be at least 1/4 as good as her and maybe you'll have a chance. There are shitloads of bedroom musicians right now, so you must make something really special to stand out from the crowd.

How hairy do you think Grimes is down there? I'm betting forest tier bush.

You need personality for that (not necessary any good, but that). There are thousands of neckbeards that can make decent compositions in their basements, but they will never be known or heard because they are shitty autist. Grimes spent more time annoying all the industry related people than making music in general.

Oops - forgot content:

>"...I was just, like, this shitty fuckup..."
youtube.com/watch?v=td9BdBRcALc

Yes, you need personality. Anything, just to be different than the crowd. Be unique and you'll have a fanbase.

grimezs before geidi primes:

>have been in more gigs in than i will be in my entire life
>did copious amounts of drugs
>traveled world
>did every thing she ever wanted, even sailed Mississippi

>I was just, like, this shitty fuckup

Right....

t. not shitty fuckup

just be qt man, be qt

i actually dont really plan on having that strong of an internet presence

i have a very strong aesthetic in mind that afaik isn't really tapped into (at least in the genre i play) and i plan to be more active in my local underground music scene.

yes, being famous sucks to me

Everyone has different standards.

I think she was destined to have a great career in music. It's like everything happened for a reason. If that homeless dude Kyle would never teach her to play samplers, maybe she would give up music and right now Grimes would be a homeless girl crying for help. Or she would be a 9 to 5 worker somewhere in Canada.

yep. i really dont want to be famous.

at the same time im not going to refuse success should i manage the extremely unlikely. for this reason im going to do my best to keep my real identity unknown so that in the nigh impossible event i get more than i bargained for i can reap the benefits of artistic success with none of the drawbacks.

everything is destined, user

Don't forget to use your future fame to force grimes into submission

will wait pics forever

if somebody posts a pic of the back of grimes' head, you'll know it's me.

Not really, but from grimes biography you could easily tell that she would ended as extra-ordinary person either way. Honestly, this "grimes was grey mouse" narrative infuriates me. Well, it wasn't pleasant life for her, but it was life that many will never have and always be sedated with comfort and stability or even worse ruled by instincts of going day by day (if living in REAL poverty).

and how is everything not destined, user?

Because if you change initial conditions, you will change destiny. And the concept of destiny is opposite of that.

yes.. but you can't change initial conditions

Grimes didn't live in real poverty for a while, but anyway below the standard of an ordinary Western world citizen. She had a fair share of problems, but she wasn't a martyr or something. She was depressive, had drug problems, was an outcast (besides few friends; 2 of them died because of OD), lived in a shit place, experienced that terrible assault that inspired Oblivion, etc. Anyway we don't know her REAL life, so we could only speculate based on what she said in various interviews.

So you are saying that after graduating some top tier university with summa cum laude, you were destined to die in some plane crash?

yes

What's your point? if you nabbing at REAL poverty (tm), I will remind you that about 1/3 of world population pretty much still lives like jungle animals without ambitions, opportunities and even choices.

no offense, but that just plain stupid

and how is it stupid? the hypotetical plane crash was destined by a really really enormous number of factors, just to give some: likeness of the student travelling, laziness of the plane operators, or them being easily distracted due to having a milennial attention span, etc. it's all conditioned by education, which is conditioned by the history of mankind, which is conditioned by the history of the planet earth, etc.

But that is not destiny, you are mixing things.

what is it, then?

plane crash is indeterminism, and what you described is just example of causality.

indeterminism is a concept, I don't believe in indeterminism, it's not scientific (not that I'm a full advocate of science), but it doesn't make sense to me
anyway let's try and stop this because this is a grimes thread, if you want to keep discussing this I can give you my reddit username

No need, I don't really mind determinism much, but things like "it is her destiny" is completely meaningless in a frame that everything is predetermined (so why revere it?).

lastly, indeterminism on subatomic level is fully scientifically valid according current knowledge.

do you believe in aliens?

I do, but they have to go back

Has Grimes ever done covers?

does anybody have the interview where she says she regrets this tattoo?

I remember he saying she got it because in the early 2010s it was trendy to be into the x-files and stuff.

I don't

she did schubert cover

topkek

this general is cancer

This post gave me cancer

This general is the savior of Sup Forums