/prod/ Classic edition

>clyp your completed project and your WIPs here.
>clyp.it only
>Ask questions, be descriptive if you want answers.
>soundcloud users will be deported.
previous thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/lxZpEFJhO6k?t=68
soniccharge.com/bitspeek
clyp.it/i2y0ngrx
clyp.it/gssy11j1
clyp.it/mvns3yso
clyp.it/x1om52px
pastebin.com/jew3GPCZ
discord.gg/SpYhu
clyp.it/kvvaolmf
clyp.it/kaivolwu
clyp.it/a2dydmt4
youtube.com/watch?v=TEO4snTS1ps
youtube.com/watch?v=WvHBXRRqGgU
youtube.com/watch?v=ykDo7uvXsSY
clyp.it/edo0ckjn
clyp.it/ir2fytyx
clyp.it/ni0g0yxy
clyp.it/sg5al2sg
clyp.it/sic2xl3e
pcpartpicker.com
clyp.it/if44pxlg
clyp.it/lwgsp2kr
soundcloud.com/battwasser
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
clyp.it/0etjq41u
tweakbench.com/triforce
clyp.it/bmjwcmhm
williamkage.com/snes_soundfonts/
clyp.it/fxs23mfb
clyp.it/bmqjmept
clyp.it/injgxthb
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Before anyone says it the pastebin is gay and dead and discord is gay and dead to so fuck them both.

Wait, what's bad about those books that were linked there? (Like Mixing with your mind and Music theory for electronic musicians).

Hey /prod/ me from the last thread. How can i make something that sounds like this: youtu.be/lxZpEFJhO6k?t=68

all dead

90% of the links are dead.

The link is fucked up. Around a minute and 8 seconds there's this weird distortion that i want to emulate.

Yeah but i mean the distorted part

Yes, but why doesn't someone put new links there? Also, place some torrents there too. One guy from a few threads before posted a link to a new version of Serum which I've been looking for forever. Why not put that link in the pastebin? Links to good learning resources, YT tutorials....

>Yes, but why doesn't someone put new links there? Also, place some torrents there too.
For the first thing, if you want to assemble some links then post them in the thread, if they are good I'm sure someone will use them. If not, stop moaning.
And as for putting torrents in the OP, that's just stupid and will get the thread shoahed for piracy.

Literally this
soniccharge.com/bitspeek

Sorry I'm in love with the #sogonechallenge sample. Had to make this. Thoughts?

clyp.it/i2y0ngrx

>stop moaning
The fuck are you talking about, I don't need those links, but others might.
I may gather something. Didn't know piracy would be a problem, even on reddit they freely post links, oh well.

>The fuck are you talking about,
Every time a thread is posted without that link, people go "Why isn't muh useless pastebin full of dead links there?" and it gets tiresome to hear it every single time.

looking for any kind of feedback how does this track sound clyp.it/gssy11j1

Pretty good.

people should find that shit for themselves

What am I doing
clyp.it/mvns3yso
clyp.it/x1om52px

It high sounds almost hurt my ears but the fact that it doesn't is great and it's happy as fuck like a chill sunshine ass

>it's happy as fuck like a chill sunshine ass
what?

ignore the ass,sorry

Awkward, when it goes into the lower register it sounds out of place

Other than that just generally cheap

guys guys

pastebin.com/jew3GPCZ

discord.gg/SpYhu

after a cursory glance, the links all work

>What am I doing
First clyp sounds like ass, second one sounds ok.

Can you get any worthwhile producing on Linux or am I fucked? I have LMMS btw

>Linux
Unless you're just recording live audio give up now. Although hydrogen drum machine is ok.
Anything involving synths and midi is garbage. I say this who has been using the software for over a decade.

use bitwig or ardour instead

clyp.it/kvvaolmf
feedback?
>chillhop
>wip

Anybody have the problem of their synth leads sound too chip tuney? How do I avoid this?

Example? Maybe a small clip.

Here
It's done on Synth1 because poorfag

clyp.it/kaivolwu

There are a lot of ways to change the sound, change waves, alter the Amp, Filter, LFOs.
If you are looking to change the sound A BIT, up the release and turn on your effects

Here is what a bit of tweaking will bring me to.
clyp.it/a2dydmt4
mind the shitty drums

Idk how much more there is to tell. Once you start to notice off-the-grid patterns you'll start to hear them everywhere. The youtube that I posted features Al Jones Jr, who played drums on almost every song from Stax records. One of the things he was most famous for was what I was talking about, pushing the snare wayyy behind the beat. And then for certain parts of the song, he tightens the snare back up. It's really interesting to listen to. One example of this is Hard to Handle, notice how during the horn break around 2:14, the drums come in with a really intense groove of having the snare behind the beat, then when it goes back into the verse the snare tightens back up again. So you can use the laid back behind the beat snare to accent the more cool, laid back parts of the song, and then the tightened up snare for more normal parts of the song

youtube.com/watch?v=TEO4snTS1ps

Pushing the snare behind the beat can actually be seen a lot in hip hop since they sample so many old soul songs. Another one that comes to mind is Mercy Mercy Mercy which is the first sample on Liquid Swords

youtube.com/watch?v=WvHBXRRqGgU

Another example is here around 6:40, the off-grid snare is really obvious for a few measures. To see what I'm talking about, try to drum along with some pencils on your desk, you'll notice that you naturally want to hit the snare a few milliseconds earlier than it actually hits. That's the groove, it feels a bit unnatural to play, but from a listener's perspective it sounds really nice.

youtube.com/watch?v=ykDo7uvXsSY

sry meant horn break at 1:14 on hard to handle

For one thing, square/pulse waves are inherently more chip-tuney so that's one thing. But also just adding polyphony and more effects and processing to make the synth sound more "natural" will go a long way.

Hey friends, would you like to give my track a listen?

clyp.it/edo0ckjn

I guess you could call it techno, or house, or something. It has ambient elements to it as well. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

maybe reduce noise a bit, otherwise its pretty good

Thanks user, the levels of the noise relative to everything else is actually one of my biggest considerations about it right now.

when you use pitch bend in ableton, where can i find a list of the intervals between notes? for some reason you can't transpose in an envelope in arrangement mode, and all i know how to do is transpose. e.g. is 1000 a halfstep from 0000?

Thanks broskies

I was only fucking around with the picture.
I noticed you said that you're using that synth because you're a poorfag. I've seen other clyps posted here with terrible sounding synths using the same synth.

There is another option you know.

clyp.it/ir2fytyx

How's this track coming along /prod/?

this is really nice. soothing, I bet indie game developers would pay you for things of this nature (maybe without the 4onthefloor style drums though idk)

drums sound a little bland. i get that they're supposed to be huge and heavy but it seems like a little extra percussive touch could take these tunes pretty far

this is groovy as HECK, what is this sample you speak of

yeah this one's good, agree with the indie soundtrack comment

I guess. I'll take a look around and see what's available.

coule someboy respond plx

Good sounding drums, are you gonna rap on it?

I liked it.

ask kendrick to rap over it

>How's this track coming along /prod/?
Sounding ok.
A little trebly in places for me perhaps, in the places where the wavs widen.

>clyp.it/kvvaolmf
this is dope. how'd you make it?

>A little trebly in places for me perhaps, in the places where the wavs widen.
only in the first widen actually.
and it's just taste anyway.

The sample is You Are Number One or something like that

clyp.it/ni0g0yxy

as of now, it's repetitive and boring, I get it, but what do you think of it so far other than that?

was thinking of making it into some type of interlude

Would be nice if it had a female singer on it.

mix isn't finished and i'll be writing more to it, just something i wrote today clyp.it/sg5al2sg

i recently acoustically treated my room and feel like i have a more control over the mix, but i'm fairly new to producing so feedback is welcome

This is lovely.
Where do you upload finished songs?

So /prod/. I've been having a few problems with projects that seem to be pretty large. With a software crash and a corrupt file, I broke.
So I decided to build my own computer.
What do you guys have in your machines?
Any recommended hardware?

clyp.it/sic2xl3e

(working title)

ssd for fast bootup and recording.
usb soundcard so you don't get hiss from PCI.
other than that any new machine you get will be fine.
Go ask Sup Forums actually, they will probably already have a build thread up.
I remember they used to say this site was good pcpartpicker.com
Think it makes sure you don't get incompatible parts.

Also multiple harddrives

First ten seconds, 8/10
everything added to the song after that, 3/10

Hey guys i made this old-school-esqe banger not too long ago, i was going for the original, minimalist dubstep feel but with a heavier percussion line so the kids will still jump around to it.

what do you guys think so far? i'd love to hear thoughts/critiques

clyp.it/if44pxlg

sorry for the quality, clyp kinda compressed it

i'd give you my soundcloud but i don't want to be deported

this was prior to acoustic treatment. clyp.it/lwgsp2kr
i feel like it's harder to get a good mix from all live instruments, because it's so dependent upon acoustics, gear, and mixing ability. i've really been struggling with drums, mine sound so shitty, i have limited mics, etc. so it makes mixing it really hard to make them sound good

>i'd give you my soundcloud but i don't want to be deported
It's allowed if someone asks for it, and only then.

By which I mean it's ok cos you've been asked.

Don't bother with platter hard drives, go with solid state drives. They've come down immensely in price now. Get one for your OS and another for all the samples or whatever you use.

i don't really have a soundcloud worth listening to, cause all of it seems so bad when i go back and listen to it. i'm kind of in a transitional period, writing and producing, so old stuff doesn't please me, but i guess maybe based on ideas alone it might interest you soundcloud.com/battwasser

Should i buy serum or sylenth if i already have massive and alchemy?

you should definitely torrent serum, it's super complicated and it will take you a lot longer than a month to figure it out, which is how they're selling it now.

Id go with Serum, mostly because I havent really tried sylenth, but you should try the 20 min demo if you have not done so already.

>super complicated
>longer than a month
what? I learned it in a week. coming from someone with intermediate skill in synthesizers, its not hard to figure out.

Cheers, bookmarked.

yeah but there's so many features, like the custom waveform function, where not only can you draw your own wave but you can make it have multiple phases too, that shit is CRAZY

not even mentioning all the different ways you can route things, like the oscillators or the fx. shits nuts yo

granted, I did spend all hours of the day learning it, it can be EXTREMELY complicated if you'd like. I love how capable it is. And the custom Waveform function isnt something I use too often, but yeah, It is something that made me pull my hair out over at first. The only real downside is that I get alot of underrun, even at 4096smp

>what do you guys think so far?
Needs melody.

seconding this

how does one make synths such as these?

youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M

ty based user

yw, happy synthing.

What plugins should I look into for basic sounding synth instruments. Used Korg Wavestation for a while looking for a classic N64 like MIDI sound

>for a classic N64 like MIDI sound
Load up Ocarina of time using an n64, and do the tasks needed to get out of Kokiri Forest.
When you do, as you leave, Sarah will hand you her ocarina. You can use the n64 controlpad to play this ocarina.

This will give you an authentic n64 sound.

You're welcome.

use more voices and detune a lil bit, turn retrigger off

it's all relative to the pitch bend range you've set on the actual synth.

obviously gonna need a good CPU, a lot of RAM and maybe SSD's.

you should get both desu

Sylenth but if you want "N64 like MIDI sound" you wanna look up various soundfonts online.

Went for a Radio Dept. type thing, think I did alright.
clyp.it/0etjq41u

tweakbench.com/triforce

clyp.it/bmjwcmhm

I messed around with something I posted a few threads ago.

i liked, very fun to listen

get some soundfonts

williamkage.com/snes_soundfonts/

Threw together a quick synth jam, not sure if it's any good?

clyp.it/fxs23mfb

It's pretty good man. I like it.

what about this is pretty good? it sucks..

>it's: good, nice, fun...
>I: like it, love it...

Useless feedback t b h.

Also,

>it sucks
>kys, consider suicide
>stop making music

Useless feedback t b h

They both just show you probably have no knowledge to make a critique and as such your opinion doesn't matter much. Not an insult, btw.

I asked him what about this is pretty good? Idiot...

So I've done a song and I'm pretty happy with it so far.

clyp.it/bmqjmept

Wouldn't mind some feedback on things like bass levels/audio fidelity on other devices other than my headphones so I can tidy it up some more.

Reposting this from the last thread cause I no one helped me out.

>clyp.it/injgxthb
Thoughts on this? Any mixing tips? The Gambino vocal is just a place holder until I can find someone to put a verse on it. Speaking of, does anyone wanna put a verse on it?

Keep being salty, friendo.
You asked him what is good about that and then proceeded with simple "it sucks". Nice arguments there.

It's good for a jam. Entirely too repetitive in both drum and synth line for it to be interesting for long though.

Anyone have any tips on making nice pad sounds? I'm tired of the usual detuned saw wave type stuff. On a semi-related note, any of you guys have any recommendations for ambient music? From what I've heard, ambient usually has rather nice pad sounds throughout so I figure it might inspire me somewhat.

You wanna put a lowpass on your sound, then detune it to get that lush warm sound (turn retrigger off) and last but not least have a lil bit of a slow attack. That's the classic pad sound.
if you want more pads you should get Omnisphere. Would Blank Banshee be considered ambient?