General Opinion on Classical Guitar?

What is your opinion on the classical guitar?

I am a professional classical guitarist. I do performances for $300 for events and also do formal concerts.

My ex-girlfriend angrily told me that classical guitar is for "old people". She's a moron, but she made me wonder if the general public thinks that classical guitar is boring or lame. What is the general opinion on classical guitar? Here are some modern performances so you get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Roland Dyens
youtube.com/watch?v=AO9AhMqXs_s

Celil Refik Kaya
youtube.com/watch?v=gfiFVTzr-fY

Chopin
youtube.com/watch?v=bj2E83KWogA

Marcin Dylla
youtube.com/watch?v=zqOV8HEJ6eg

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jAg8VHuXNKU
youtube.com/watch?v=hAOlSXkFmO4
youtube.com/watch?v=7iVFncQADvc
youtube.com/watch?v=5InE56aMH-s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I really like it. Joaquin Rodrigo is pretty good.

American primitivism, jazz or bust.

I love classical guitar, personally, and I'm in my early twenties. It sounds beautiful and it's complex and difficult--the real way to play guitar. Maybe I'm predisposed to like it because I'm a classical pianist, but I still think that it's an objectively impressive field. I play some guitar myself, rock/blues style, and I always found it was easy compared to piano but classical guitar is another beast entirely.

I wish there were more guitarists like Steve Hackett or Robert Fripp who blend classical stylings into rock music.

good for impressing girls i guess? pretty fucking boring style of music that it lends itself to

>good for impressing girls
I want to meet the girls you associate with. The ones I know go berserk over Jason Mraz on the ukelele

I enjoy classical guitar a lot. I used to listen to bach cello suites played on guitar but i have forgotten the performers name
I'm also in my twenties and a classical tubist, def appreciate what other instruments do

High five for monophonic master race

We on Sup Forums are all very proud of you, your girlfriend is dumb anyway, don't worry senpai :)

I'm not a classically trained musician (played bass clarinet for 2 years though) and totally agree with these guys. I love classical guitar. Picked myself up a cheap one a month back and can hardly put it down, after playing electric guitar for 5 or so years.

Also OP, any chance you could recommend some easier pieces to play and hone my fingerstyle skills via?

Dionisio Aguado's Eight Lessons

I mean a few of them are really hard but might as well check them all out

If you're just getting into it, start with pieces like "Spanish Romance". If you want to challenge yourself right off the bat, do Villa Lobos Choros No. 1

That was the first challenging piece I ever learned, it kinda kicks you right into gear. Might take a little while to learn though.

youtube.com/watch?v=jAg8VHuXNKU

How old are you OP?

I'm 19, I've been playing guitar since middle school, and have pretty much exclusively played classical guitar for the better part of a year. Most people love classical guitar, your girlfriend is just spewing mumbo jumbo.

Fellow classicalfag here, though I'm not professional. Most non-musicians that I've ever played for or that have just been in the general vicinity while I was playing usually say that it's really pretty sounding or are in awe of the fact that I can play something somewhat fast/technical with my fingers. Hardest thing I've ever learned was Dyens' arrangement of Nuages, though my chops have declined greatly since I stopped studying it in school.

This video is the exact arrangement I learned.
youtube.com/watch?v=hAOlSXkFmO4

>good for impressing girls i guess?
Girls are only going to be impressed by your playing if you're attractive.

t. below average/ugly guy

Tarrega has some short and sweet pieces that are pretty good for beginners, Lagrima would definitely be a good one to check out. Just surf through related Youtube vids to see if you can find more that you think you'd be up for.

>My ex-girlfriend angrily told me that classical guitar is for "old people".
Guitar in general is for old people.

No love for John Williams?
youtube.com/watch?v=7iVFncQADvc

That's awesome dude. I performed Fuoco a few months ago, took forever to learn.

All of Dyens compositions and arrangements are top-tier. Hardly gets any better. i think this dude will be the new Dyens when he gets older though, check him out.

youtube.com/watch?v=5InE56aMH-s

Never liked John Williams or David Russell. Too robotic of a style for me. I really like Julian Bream if you've heard him.

>youtube.com/watch?v=5InE56aMH-s
>that run from 3:00 to 3:04
wew lad

But yeah, Dyens' arrangements are a fucking bitch, almost pointlessly difficult at times. Nuages took me an entire semester to learn, though that was partly my fault due to the fact that I had lost my motivation to continue on with a music degree. According to my teacher, Nuages was about average difficulty for a Dyens piece. I've got sheet music for A Night In Tunisia but I'm not sure if I should even bother attempting it now.

>My ex-girlfriend angrily told me that classical guitar is for "old people"
The key here is "angrily." Girls are emotional cunts, they carefully craft seemingly innocuous insults like that to make you question yourself when they feel like knocking you down a peg. Anyhow, classical guitars are the shit. Granted your average idiot won't go looking for classical guitar music, but everyone who has ever lived agrees that it's pleasant to listen to and impressive to be able to play it. Don't let women get to your head so easily

That Deutsch Grammophon cover makes me cry because of its vulgar aspect.
Grammophon -> universal

>taking the meme gender seriously
Nah dude, classical guitar is dope

classical guitar is such a harmonically limited instrument it makes me laugh

good luck trying to play root position / block chords beyond 3-4 notes.

good luck composing a chord and melody seamlessly (like a piano can) without having to shift into awkward positions constantly

good luck keeping intonation in the upper frets.

good luck being able to fluently sight read 3+ melodies without the piece being intentionally composed with a guitarist in mind.

one thing i've noticed is that it translates very poorly when you get into composition because the instrument only lends itself to being played in half a dozen or less keys (as to utilise the open strings which often become necessary), and has to constantly shift between various drop voicings. this can make the compositional process much less seamless than on a piano.

fuck, im so jaded after entering music school with a guitar instead of piano.

that being said, it is a beautiful instrument and its unique limitations lend towards interesting styles of music