/Prod/ general

Welcome to /prod/ general

How do I criticize edition

>Pastebin:
pastebin.com/jew3GPCZ

(This is my first time starting one of these generals and I don't have all the links pls no bully)

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/ofd3gogt
vocaroo.com/i/s1KwcKSw8yBQ
clyp.it/waccd2yx
clyp.it/j1pb4hk0
clyp.it/qt5qu0ql
clyp.it/bmqjmept
hotnewhiphop.com/future-side-effects-video-new-video.29319.html
clyp.it/h5hvmdrl
youtube.com/watch?v=OxhRyEEZCYA
clyp.it/csjdqkuq
clyp.it/o4m2tr1j
clyp.it/cmzkax2e
clyp.it/ikmfrvj3
clyp.it/oy3ktohk
clyp.it/d4nothe5
clyp.it/wmjyv1jw
clyp.it/3ia1t1zg
clyp.it/qbk0rlrn
clyp.it/0hnindek
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>windows movie maker cant export audio any higher than 192kbps
the fuck? why? i just want a program to slap a picture on top of a song so i can post it to my youtube.

also you have to actually import shit instead of just dragging it in, you have to add a picture before you're allowed to add audio, the picture defaults to a 7 second clip and the audio file that you put in afterwards also does if you dont manually set the end time of the picture's clip to the length of the song

it's like they were actively trying to make a stupid unintuitive piece of shit video editing software. how is this shit even worse than i remember it being?

IIRC the youtube upload page already has the functionality to add a background pic.

you cant upload just audio files though (for some reason... have they not caught on to the fact that like half the music on the site is just an audio file playing with a static image?), im gonna have to make a video file to upload anyways so i might as well just add the picture while im doing that

Whats the comfiest way to fit a midi keyboard on my computer desk.
So far I think I'm getting sliders and install a tray under my desk for my 61 key.

Posted a few days ago. The song is now mastered and added a few new things were added.

clyp.it/ofd3gogt

And added a few new things* fuck

first time posting here

vocaroo.com/i/s1KwcKSw8yBQ

this is a clip from a little ableton live set i did last night

What are your RMS levels usually like?

Is it ok If im at -3dB RMS at my highest peak?

I like when the right lights on my mixer are on but not when they are on all the time

red lights*

So a mate of mine did a pretty cool acid line in one of his tracks and I felt inspired to develop it a bit with my sound. Ended up with this, also threw some vocoder vocals in for good measure.

clyp.it/waccd2yx

Prophet 6 or Prophet 08 PE?

It's a matter of taste. If youre making for TV, you need to abide by some rules. -3dB is good as you're not pushing it too hard but can still make a big sound. Some A/D converters sound better redlining, most don't.

6 all the way

Worth the additional ~$700?

I downloaded Nexus etc, set it up perfectly for FL and then when I click on the plugin it says something like missing content missing? can someone help me?

Really nice - it's reminiscent of Matt Whitehead's take on electro when he's using less formulaic drum sounds.

The prophet 6 is one of the most beautiful poly's full stop, whether it's worth the cost is really up to you.

I love the bassline in this one! The vocals sound kind of low in the mix though.

My mastering guy says -3dB is fine.

Song I've been working on:
clyp.it/j1pb4hk0

Fuckin reeee dude why is it so expensive? Does it sound that good? I have the arturia plug in version and thinking of getting a midi controller and just assigning controls.

Use ffmpeg. It's CLI, but damn powerful.

Anyone know where I can get heavy rock stems so I can remix? I know about the NIN site but I want something besides NIN.

Well I rendered it out and compared it with 2 other tracks in Izotope RX5

I think I've done ok
clyp.it/qt5qu0ql

Could I get some feedback on a new track I did? In regards to mastering/sound fidelity. I've only got 1 pair of headphones and I don't know how it sounds on other people's shiz.

>clyp.it/bmqjmept

This needs Big Lurch rapping on it. Rihanna is out of tune. Mastering is treble heavy, flat and the compression pump is really fatiguing - less release please.

Strings are fatiguing and sharp. Up the pads with a little less reverb. Lose the VEH1 kick. Track has a lot of potential.

hotnewhiphop.com/future-side-effects-video-new-video.29319.html
Anybody tell me what the effect/instrument is called starting at the beginning?

Please don't take this the wrong way. This is my favorite tune in the thread so far, it's sooo cheesy and dumb but I love it. Those Midi-esque sounds just get to me - particularly that piano.

REALLY good sounding here man. The drum trills make the track. Lots of great elements complementing eachother.

>strings
got bad feedback about them from 2 people now
gonna change them asap

>kick
I was actually more annoyed by the snare, but I'll look for samples that fit better

>Track has a lot of potential
well it's gonna be deleted from SoundCloud for sure for using an acapella

I've owned a P08 for almost 2 years now, and I've played the P6 on a few occasions. The P6 sounds a bit better, but I don't think they are really comparable because they both have different feature sets.

What are some of the biggest references you found?

I would like to find a faster workflow, make my tracks more spontaneous.
It usually takes me a week or two with 2-4 hours daily to finish a track. I'm just really fucking slow 2bh. not because I don't have enough practice but I just tweak everything forever and discard a lot of stuff etc..
Most other people I know making music make hiphop related things which I think have a naturally quicker workflow, they often finish a track in one session or two.

Maybe someone making some for of more time-consuming music could tell me some things about how to not loose your 'connection' to what you're working on before you've finished it.

The kind of music I make is kinda hard to describe (edgy, i know right!) but it's something between ambient, downtempo, trance and jazz.

One tip: treat your music like a real time job

If it's sounding good, doesn't matter how long it took: it was worth it. Do you, senpai.

P6 has a smaller keybed, but nicer mod/pitchbend placement
P6 has a more immediate interface, I don't think there are any menus other than the digital fx
P6 has far less modulators than the P8
The oscillators on the P6 can sweep between waveforms, where the P8 are locked at saw/sawtri/tri/pulse
The P6 has a sub osc
The P6 has a 24db lp filter and hp filter, the P8 has 12/24 switchable LP filter
The P8 has a clicky envalope, the P6 has one to, but it's less apparent

I can't really comment on the tone to much since 2/3 of the times I had a chance to play one it was through a mono speaker in a small room. I think the oscillators on the P6 are bassier and less shrill than the P8, and I think the filter on the P6 is a bit smoother.

tried to
downloaded as a .bz2 file which i've never fucking heard of. right clicked, hit extract, now it's a bunch of folders and shit without a program anywhere to be found.

I want the prophet for those carpenter sounds, but I already have a jx-8p which gets very nice pads and bells, but I don't know if I can shell out for the 6 if the 08 it like half the price

is clyp not working for anyone else?

it loads for me.

i get an error every time i try to upload

If you want I can try to recreate a sound if you link an example?

A few of my clips are gone, maybe there doing maintenance?

clyp.it/h5hvmdrl

is it worth mixing and mastering?

>clyp.it/h5hvmdrl
Just needs some volume adjustments. Specifically, the drums aren't loud enough.

good call user thanks a bunch

>linndrum ripoff sounds better than the actual linndrum
How the fr*ck did Dave do it?

youtube.com/watch?v=OxhRyEEZCYA

clyp.it/csjdqkuq

what is a build-up

>clyp.it/qt5qu0ql
Needs another clap / snare layer that has everything but higher freqs eq'd out, staggered in time, with some verb. Snare just goes 'blonk' right now and does not match the energy of the rest of the tune. You got the mid / low freq and body of the thing covered, but its missing that extra layer to push it over the edge. Otherwise, totally fine.

So I'm thinking of getting FL Studio (legally since I'm going to be monetizing my music) any recs on which edition I should get?

Producer or signature. It really depends on what fl plugins you want

I'm not completely sure which plugins I want yet does only having 8 limit the sounds you can produce significantly? Are there places where I could get free instruments etc.?

>tfw no /prod/ bf to inspire and drive you to create beautiful music together
we could be the captain and tennille of the DAW

I guess random Free VST sites. maybe KVRaudio can provide you with some good free VSTs. And the limiting of sounds you can produce is mostly on you. You could spend $300 bucks and get a few synths more than what I I have with producer edition.

I mostly use Serum (another $190 dollars) and a few fl plugins. Its best to comb through each plugin from the bundles on their website. maybe go on youtube to properly make up your mind

is audioz.download safe? also is the waves bundle really less than 2GB? i thought i remembered hearing it was either really big or really cpu hungry? does it eat cpu?

>TFW normie gf gets mad when I record
>taking away all my time and focus from what I actually love
>all I want is to make shoegaze-techno like Seefeel

I fucking hate myself

aww user. i-if you leave her I'll date you.

she sounds lame

punch her boobs to establish dominance in the relationship

Prophet-6 or OB-6? I had a Prophet '08, but it always sounded shrill no matter what I did with it...

R u a reel grill?

Nah I just turn off my phone for a few hours

I'm a male.

I'm bi so

sweet then it's settled!

clyp.it/o4m2tr1j

IT'S ALMOST DONE BOYS

heya /prod/ rate my trash pls
>clyp.it/cmzkax2e

a few minutes from a two hour live jam, made with Analog Rytm, modular, MS20 mini

clyp.it/ikmfrvj3

love it

Gay but good

What's the cheapest and easiest way to record music entirely by myself? I mean record as in record me play an instrument, not do a track on FL Studios and put it on Soundcloud.

sm57 microphone, focusrite interface

cheapest but not best quality of course...

also stop the focusrite meme because their lowend interfaces are literally the worst- ur22 or pretty much anything else is better for the same money

>ur22 or pretty much anything else is better for the same money
why?

clipping/headroom issues which make it a headache to use... and barely useable if you want to record di . . . .

they get pushed by people who don't know any better and it still pisses me off that i got tricked into using one when i first started recording lol

clyp.it/oy3ktohk

clyp.it/d4nothe5

Early drafts, drums are kinda repetitive but other than that what do you think

Looking to dive into some tutorials online but there are so many. I see Sadowick touted a lot by other ableton users, is he as good as they say or is there someone better?

should just remove that watermark in paint

also cool stuff

>mess around in FL and make some shit
>hope it's better than what I think it is
>come into /prod/ and see I indeed still suck
every time clyp.it/wmjyv1jw

>clyp.it/wmjyv1jw
i kinda like that lofi vibe

>tfw somewhat normie gf has literally no taste but understand my passion and let me time to make music
feels good

Wait a second, you can't post songs with acapellas on soundcloud? What if they are chopped and have their notes pitch shifted?

What about YT? Is that actually breaking a copyright?

Asking because in that case I probably shouldn't even bother to finish my tracks based around acapellas.

Using an acapella isn't gonna get your song instant-removed or something.
I had 1 of my remixes deleted from Soundcloud (a Taylor Swift remix)
and 1 blocked in some countries on YouTube (a Imagine Dragons remix)
otherwise nothing happened.
If you chop it, and pitch shift it probably nobody is going to care, and even if, they are just going to deleted or block it, thats all

What do you guys mean by this? You don't touch the mixer at all until you finish a composition or?

I usually find an instrument, make it's line, and then start adding some effects on it. When I finish a part of a song, I start mixing everything more in-depth. I don't know if I should change my workflow and how.

Well that still sucks. I also have one rough draft based around Taylor. How do other artists sample and remix shit then without problems? Why tf is Soundcloud even deleting it?

Some people actually ask for permission.
Most people just bootleg it and hope it doesn't get deleted

why does everyone sample Taylor Swift?

>make it's line
wut

Compose its melodic line.

clyp.it/3ia1t1zg

testing vocoder settings and carriers for an upcoming project

clyp.it/qbk0rlrn
listen to fucking me... lol do NOT go lofi..
think i need medical assistance...

I want to use a synth with a shoegaze sound, do you guys have any reccomendations?

So, what to do if I don't have any vocals and can't use acapellas because of copyright/can't sell it?

I don't like pop instrumentals and don't want to do EDM or some shit like that. I need vocals and don't want to use cringy vocoders.

The only choice seems to be focusing on classical.

clyp.it/0hnindek

Some mega cheesy 80s-ish kinda thing I've been working on. I know my transitions are a bit iffy and the 2nd "chorus" if you will needs some better mixing, but what do you guys thing? Also the main melodies you hear are what I'd hope to have a vocalist singing with possibly using the current synths as a little backing.

There's shitloads of vocal construction kits out there, do some window-shopping on say like the loopmasters website or something similar then just try find them on a torrent site (rutracker, proaudiotorrents, audionews are usually the best for audio stuff in my experience). Just as a heads up though, most of them all have really cheesy, pop styled lyrics though but they can be fun to mess around with, and build ideas from

what do you guys think*

fuck

Sounds pretty cool, could be a little clearer though. What vocoder are you using?

sing

Well what sort of tutorials are you looking for? In a general sort of thing I'd recommend checking out SeamlessR on youtube. He's got shitloads of really in-depth stuff in quite a few aspects of music making. Even if you aren't an FL user, his knowledge is still pretty useful.

needs more tape saturation and 80s reverb

Anyone know any good pdf textbooks that deal solely with Compression?

I know more or less now to use it, but it's the element I'm weakest with and just wanna learn as much as I can with it, outside of practicing with it of course.

well it's a VST called MDA Talkbox