30 or over thread

Who else on Sup Forums is 30+? What the hell brought you here? I'm going to be 33 and I have found good music through this board, even with all the 16 year old kids.

I'm 52.
Been a fan of underground music long before most people on this site were even born.
I really enjoy the anonymous aspect of Sup Forums, and Sup Forums specifically tends to be the best place to find people who've listened to obscure music, and don't over-appreciate it for the sake of being obscure.
Good place to talk about less known bands occasionally despite the fact that most of the time everyone on here is retarded.

damn, how did you even find out about Sup Forums in the first place.

His grandchildren, obviously.

Wow 52. OP here, yea the user nature is pretty awesome. Remember the late 90's, early 2000's with all the shitty messageboards you had to sign up for (Stile project, Something Awful, etc.). They all had some form of a music portion, but became circle jerks.

People circle jerk here (HELLO DEATH GRIPS) but they also call people out on bullshit.

The autism is high on here, but it isn't terrible. Also, I found the Sonic Youth album I pictured - Bad moon rising - from this board. I had never got into Sonic Youth and fucking love them now.

>and don't over-appreciate it for the sake of being obscure.
You really think so? Sup Forums is known very much for being a circlejerk over the same albums and extreme hipsterism/elitism regarding music (despite it being a circlejerk, I suppose). What makes you disagree? I'm curious.

34, been coming here since 2007.

All of you who think you will get older and move past Sup Forums....lol

started lurking in 2012. immediately realized that i probably wasn't going to fit in here either. kept lurking because of the occasional great rec and the frequent keks. also music related news. also i was sick of all of the noise pop/noise rock that was prevalent at the time and wanted to find different shit.

this. Sup Forums's better than the alternatives.

same

lol

THIS

I found Sup Forums in 2006...goddamn I've been coming here for 10 years now. Every other fucking online community is worse than the worst Sup Forums board.

37 here, found Sup Forums in 2006 too.
Sup Forums can be fucking reprehensible at the best of times but I keep coming back because there really isn't anywhere else quite like it. Raw opinion has its place and it's interesting to see Sup Forums reactions to things. Also it can be a goldmine for new music on good days.

I've had an administrative position in the computer industry for the longest time, a lot of employees are young and trendy
I like to get along well with my guys so I've always had a genuine interest in the developing and ever-changing monster that is popular culture.
I first heard about Sup Forums in '06 I think. Started browsing Sup Forums in '08.

Man fuck off I'm not that old, I swear. My oldest is barely 20

Yeah man, Something Awful was my shit before Sup Forums. Though you're very right about any other website requiring registration to more or less extent.
The thing about usernames as far as music discussion is concerned is that so long as you maintain a persona that can be recognised, people will use the music they like more as an accessory to their personality rather than as an art form that you can more objectively talk about.
Because people want to fit in and be cool, they will more regularly claim to like or hate the same albums as the majority, and be afraid to speak out against more mediocre albums simply because of their popularity.
Or they'll dislike good albums because they may not be as well accepted by the others.
You see a lot of that in the tripfags on here.
Anonymity on here lets people have more diverse taste because what they claim to like or dislike on here is not permanently thereafter associated with their online presence because that presence goes away with the threads.
I like that.

Of course there is circle jerking to some extent on here. But it's definitely not as bad as the majority of the other web.
Again, like I said above because of the anonymous aspect, people are more likely to give you shit for liking, say, Klaus Schulze's later albums (which are not as good imho), whereas the only other online outlet where you can expect to find people that even know of Schulze will all say chorus-like that any and every album he ever made actually has deserving merit.

also, no, I'm not Scaruffi

OP here again,

Yea, I'm actually happy that the generation that was born in the late 90's, early 2000's have no paywall or bullshit to block them from finding good music.

It was hard in the 80's and 90's to find music under the radar. MTV, VH1, and Radio all had their golden RIAA approved bands that were shoved down our throats 24/7.

Some of these were great. I still love Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, etc. However, I totally missed some of the greatest albums of that decade.

Slint - Spiderland, Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation, My Bloody Valentine Loveless, SWANS (ALL OF THEM), these are all albums I found through Sup Forums .

Also, as much as people say they hate pitchfork - I found Arcade Fire, Boris, and a shit load of bands through them over the past decades.

It's just awesome. I hope the younger people here realize how lucky we are to have things like this.

I'm 50. Seen millions of musical trends. I get restless if the music I'm listening too starts to fall into a rut. It's not that I'm looking for new and uncharted ground just to say I found it first, I just hate getting too comfortable with my own habits. If a bunch of people, probably younger than me, are making noise about something they like, I'll give it a listen with an open mind. Sup Forums is really good at getting a community discussion going when they aren't making stupid memes about Grimes or Death Grips.

I found Sup Forums back when Anonymous was making news protesting Scientology. I've been on the internet forever. (Dad was an engineer, had internet for work in the 80s, I was on Prodigy in the 90s. Nothing about Sup Forums ever shocked me or put me off because I was "old." Internet culture is internet culture.)

Prodigy - hooo boy. I remember in 3rd grade (1992) where we were introduced to THE INTERNET and were talking about Prodigy being the gateway to this new world.

50 here. I wandered over here after being introduced to Sup Forums by a co-worker in 2008. I've made purchases based on what Ive read here.

30 here

i found this site same time i found something awful and other like ebaum world , but i was having fun in small phpbb forums till they got wipped some by heavy moderation and boredom

How many of you guys torrent?

50 year old guy again. I miss those fucking days. That, and everything in the early to mid 90s, was the Wild, Wild West of the Internet. Everything is filtered through social media now, where your mother and your employer might see what you are doing.

I guess that's what I like about Sup Forums. (And Sup Forums.) Yeah, some assholes can hijack a thread or create their own shitty ones, but same thing happened on the old Prodigy boards and listserves. You just learned to not be a pussy and deal with free speech.

I stopped using torrents years ago. I had a VPN IP blocking. Once Spotify launched, I stopped Torrenting.

Yea, I had 56k internet through my local library from 1996 until 2003. It was unlimited internet, which was why my parents finally got it - they were not having the AOL minutes bullshit.

One thing I miss though - some of those old message boards were amazing ecosystems. I was a member of this site realjuggalos.com which was an ICP/Twiztid fansite and the community was amazing. We were all young as fuck, but it was just so much fun. Even though we talked about ICP all the time, we also were like this online family of high school misfits. We talked about how we hated school and kind of helped each other out.

I see things like that here on Sup Forums from time to time. Young people who are fucking sick of school and need a way to anonymously vent.

how much of you 30 year olds just listen to mainstream shit from when you were 20

be honest

it's about 15% of what I listen to

OP here:

I barely listen to anything that I grew up with that was mainstream. I keep finding new bands from Sup Forums and just love the discoveries. I wanted a black metal band like Woods of Ypres and someone posted this album which is AMAZING. Ascension - Consolamentum

oh my god this
had to scour the super small font reviews in the back of Option magazine, guessing what might be good and when you might ever get to an urban record store to spend your shekels ... found godflesh and throwing muses that way
still prolly have the cassettes somewhere....

OP AGAIN - I tried some of the magazines like Hit Parader and Alternative Press with some success, but it was still really hard to find good new music.

Another thing that is gone: The paywall and bullshit that used to be required to create music. There is so much more music that is attainable now that all of the sub-genres have exploded.

pretty much found out about Sup Forums from shitposting on HCAF