How the hell do people learn how to use these things?

How the hell do people learn how to use these things?

Other urls found in this thread:

kaitlynaureliasmith.bandcamp.com/album/ears
youtu.be/buUAVQ9W7KI?t=4956
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

practice

The same way one learns to walk

Trial and error

fuck that, don't have the time or the money

What is propellerhead reason

Fuck modular synths

They sound so creepy and uncanny. What's the appeal?

They are good for people with rabid synth addiction. Or people with more money than sense. Maybe there is some overlap there...

You can get some really lush sounds from a modular synth.

kaitlynaureliasmith.bandcamp.com/album/ears

the creepy and uncanny sound

Probably a mix of being able to tailor it to your needs and the workflow.

The Sup Forums tripfags are the WORST

Is it possible to recreate the base concepts of FM synthesis with a modular synth sporting far too many oscillators/LFOs?

if you understood how fm worked was you wouldnt be asking this

but yes, it is possible. it sucks to try and do in an analog, monophonic world though.

You read the fucking manual.

You learn what each piece does and it's really simple to understand.
Modulars sound great, it's just that a lot of nerds use them for the sonic equivalent of masturbation. The bass line on this is a modular.

youtu.be/buUAVQ9W7KI?t=4956

you donĀ“t need to, just be an unsufferable nerdy jerk

I understand how FM works and I understand why it is considered far inferior, but I was wondering if anyone has tried using, say, 16 or so LFOs to supplement the unreliability of a single analog oscillator over a digital oscillator

I dunno man, I'm curious and sorta drunk

*why it is considered far inferior to attempt it with analog rather than digital

not calling fm inferior, oops

the thing about modulars is people used to use them to craft complex otherwordly sounds they would later use in compositions

these days all these fucking disposable income whites are buying modulars and making "patterns" playing sets at their shitty 20 people attendance parties and it fucking sucks

What are you saying man? You don't use LFOs to build up the harmonics in FM synthesis.

clarification: i think fm in an analog system sucks because its hard to get usable harmonic things out of it. analog oscillators are too unstable and fm wants things to be in perfect mathmatical relationships. unless youre just trying to make noise, in which case its great, go nuts. how would an lfo "supplement" unreliability?

its not that it isnt fun to play with, it just never produces anything usable for me. same about people in eurorack world that like to jack off over audio rate modulations. great, you did it, it sounds like shit. now what?

this has been a lot of my experience also. ive gotten into modulars solely because of the flexibility of routing, and now i dread being associated with anyone "doing modular." its a bunch of sad dads with more money than sense playing shitty 8-step sequences. the people that are actually doing good things with modular synthesizers arent associating themselves with the "scene."

I mean FM is built upon digital oscillators modulation other oscillators, no? So theoretically you could have multiple analog oscillators substituting each digital modulator, right?

I don't think an LFO would supplement unreliability, I'm just curious as to whether anyone's tried it and how it's worked.

try what? youre just saying words. lfo to what?

yes, you could. but consider how difficult it is to get an analog oscillator to have the exact frequency ratios of basic fm patches.

also how expensive it would be

im sorry if im being shitty. if you patched output from an lfo into the pitch input of a audio-rate oscillator, you would get a goofy rising and falling tone that corresponds to the frequency of the lfo. turn the lfo up, it goes up and down faster, down, slower. if you patch audio osc to audio osc, youve "done" fm synthesis. if you spend a lot of time with a warmed-up system tuning these two oscillators to a 2:1 relationship, youve made a basic fm patch. you can add oscillators like this forever, but it gets expensive very quickly, and godspeed for sending any kind of pitch voltage to those oscillators to make a melody and maintain that exact relationship across every oscillator.

vs digital always being mathmatically perfect

Using them is easy but being able to achieve desired predictable results is where the skill comes in and It's pretty much just actually understanding synthesis and your system on a level deeper than tweeking presets.

>house shows are bad
>improv is bad
The modular scene itself isn't really as bad as it can appear to be as far as being composed of dads, they're just far more likely to associate themselves directly with it.

this for anything music related desu, fuck music theory when you can just make things sound interesting

I bought a synthesizer last weekend after selling all mine off a few years ago. I went analog this time since I'm more into sound design and creating soundscapes to play other instruments over and the workflow of menu diving doesn't agree with me at all.

Forgive my ignorance here but what am I "supposed" to use an LFO for. I haven't found much use for the one in this synth yet after noodling on it for a week or so. I'm running on the assumption it's user error at the moment.

It has piqued my interest in eurorack as well. Seems like a great way to expand the sonic capabilities in any way I want. The amount of modules that seem to do really niche things is mind boggling though.

t. trustfund hack

By being Keith Emerson.

house shows are great
improv is fine
dont play fucking 16steps for 45 minutes
do something more interesting than play with filter cutoffs
dont confine a gig to "eurorack only" when the format is shit for some aspects of performance

you typically use it for something that you want modulated over time, slowly. i know thats a dumb answer, but its really up to you. they can give motion and depth to a patch. send an attenuated lfo to a filter and itll do subtle filter mods. send it to a delay parameter and have modulating delay times. or do a very highly attenuated lfo to a pitch in a multi-osc patch and get a chorus-y drift.

try 'poor untrained musician' instead

no dude wealth and success is white and bad

>you typically use it for something that you want modulated over time, slowly. i know thats a dumb answer, but its really up to you.
No, that's a really good explanation actually. I think it'd do wonders for me with a delay.

Explains why I haven't gotten much I've liked out of it as well. I'm using an Arturia Minibrute at the moment and it's placed at the end of the chain from what I can tell.

I've been looking into mods to see if there's a way to give this modular capability and I've only had it a week haha.

absolutely. I think the bubble we're in now is mostly to blame for that shit

for the purposes of intermediate techniques they're just shitty evelopes

lolwut? If you can post on Sup Forums you can access high quality theory resources easily, money has nothing to do with it.

im curious to hear more of your thoughts on the bubble