/daily/ - Still Dead edition

It was the third of September.

Listen to your library, show off your backlog, babble about new meme music, honor the memory of /daily/ over it's dead body, be at peace with /rym/, and just let the good memes flow.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>topsters btfo

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>get in here for fucks sake

synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel
>plug but snug

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>site with templates, OP covers, archive, & random stuff

discord.gg/s5Rv7zJ
>Geopolitical discussions, gender politics, duck rating

Don't ask about our Skype Group.

Most importantly, pig guy is back.

Previously on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/single/danny-l-harle/super-natural/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/hedningarna/hippjokk/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/aphex_twin/selected_ambient_works_volume_ii_f2/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/swans/white_light_from_the_mouth_of_infinity/
youtube.com/watch?v=YAbS38WpuK8
youtube.com/watch?v=lP077RitNAc
youtube.com/watch?v=fYLMOw9hn2I
youtube.com/watch?v=M5l9csE-o8o
youtu.be/49zQJqS5Gdo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

rec me a good film there daily boys

Harold and Maude

harold and kumar

Maude and Kumar

Harold (2008)

Cutie Harold

But I'm a Cheerleader
also Rosemary's Baby

Who got If it's kpop, daily is truly ded for good

/daily/ has become too much of an annoying memey circlejerk for me desu.
Those problems were always here to an extent but they've really kicked into overdrive in recent times. Really turns me off of interacting with the general anymore.

Basically fuck you all, is what I'm saying.

Suggestions to fix? Pls be as rude as possible in yr answer

Worst offenders?

Aside from Shamepai of course

well fuck you too asshole

>delete /daily/
>ban /daily/ posters

Thread's gotten worse for sure but the circlejerking hasn't increased that much I'd say. It has always been pretty big anyway. Then again I'm barely reading these threads anymore.

What's the point in saying this if you do it anonymously?

Encounters at the End of the World

I noticed I drastically diminished the number of albums I listen to, don't know if it's because I have to study for exams or if I just want to hear more silence around me. Anyway now jamming to Liumin by Deepchord Presents Echospace

Since daily is so completely dead, I think it makes sense to preliminary post this.

Dark ambient already taken.

major tune

rateyourmusic.com/release/single/danny-l-harle/super-natural/

have you listened to loveless

Yes

avant-folk
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/hedningarna/hippjokk/

rate it ~.~

if you haven't listened to saw II do that for ambient, if not unwound - fake train for noise rock

REVIEWS
what I've listened to in the past week

>Big Bill Broonzy - Big Bill Broonzy
TypicallyI love Big Bill, but this recording session does not do him justice. It's done in a live-in-the-studio style as most blues records are, but the mixing is incredibly poor. Broonzy's guitar is so quiet that it becomes almost inaudible at some points.
In addition to that, this is not his strongest set of tunes. Key to the Highway and Tell Me What Kind of Man Jesus is are classics, but the rest sound somewhat uninspired. Bossie Woman and Texas Tornado have stellar vocals (as usual for Broonzy) but the way he plays them is so tired and dull. He drops strumming every time he sings so the songs have no momentum.
The latter half of the record is much better by comparison.

~

>Eck Robertson - Old Time Texas Fiddler 1922-1929

Eck is probably the best goddamn fiddler of his time, maybe ever. He's probably not the fastest or most technically skilled, but he sure can put the fire into a song. It's a shame he has such a small discography. His amazing renditions of classic American songs is a must for anybody getting into appalachian folk music.

>Various Artists - Let's Get Loose: Folk and Popular Blues Styles from the Beginnings to the Early 1940s

A stellar compilation of lesser known and one time recording artists. It's a great mix of country blues, dixieland, vaudeville and old-time; a lot of variety. Many artists of this era will have a few very solid songs and most of the rest of their work will be repetitive and one note, so compilations like this that cherry pick the best of each artist are fantastic for casual listening. Whoever curated this did a great job.

(cont)

>saw II
rym link?

oh sorry
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/aphex_twin/selected_ambient_works_volume_ii_f2/

i prefer this version for the inclusion of a really good track that isn't there in other issues (stone in focus)

>field recordings
Ernst Karel - Swiss Mountain Transport Systems

>post punk
Human Sexual Response - In a Roman Mood

Liturgy - Aesthethica for black metal

going with this beast for neofolk rateyourmusic.com/release/album/swans/white_light_from_the_mouth_of_infinity/

Spiderbait - s/t for noise rock

Oxbow - Serenade in Red for noise rock (boys rock)

die

taking harsh noise, Kazumoto Endo - While You Were Out

>C.W. Stoneking - Jungle Blues

I honestly thought this was an old dixieland record when I heard the title track, it wasn't until I got my headphones on that I realized it was a near perfect imitation. But this album is more than an imitation. Yes, Stoneking is an impressive mimic, but he takes a plethora of pre-war blues styles and tranforms them to something very much his own. Country Blues and New Orleans Jazz clash to create this jaunty, dark and indescribably groovy stew of bluesy goodness. Stoneking has a very odd, but extremely distinct and memorable voice. He really finds his own place rather than trying to copy the sounds of the past. However, there are two places where it weakens for me. When the music takes on a slightly latin vibe it kind of breaks the illusion for me a little bit. No longer does it seem like a lost New Orleans classic, but perhaps a rejected song from the Jungle Book. And the song with the female guest vocalist is like the sound of a thousand fedoras tipping.

>Ola Belle Reed - Rising Sun Melodies

Great collection of expertly played and expertly sung bluegrass and country songs. What really puts it above an average bluegrass band though it the small instrumental touches that really let's you know these are skilled and proffessional musicians. The guitar and mandolin on a lot of the tracks provide a nice rhythm accompaniment to the banjo melodies. Ola has a lovely voice, full of character and passion. The whole thing is a bit too clean for me however, I prefer something with a bit of a rawer sound. Just needs a little more bite.

(cont)

RIP kubera

Not really his fault plebs hate the best Swans album

that's a ridicolously low average for one of the best Swans' albums.

Long Season by Fishmans for Psych Rawk

Hot fuzz
Snatch

>Fred Neil - Bleecker and MacDougal

Damn! This guy takes blues and folk and turns it goddamn funky! all the way back in 1965 too. The title track is the best example of this style. Punchy rhythm guitar strumming, Bouncing groovy bassline and wild harmonica solos over the top. It works surprisingly well. Neil has a voice to match to, deep and commanding. The album has a lot of burning ballads as well. Little Bit of Rain is a classic song, but The Water is Wide is one that took me by surprise, Neil does his best Scott Walker impression and starts crooning.

(cont)

I take Krautrock
with Stereolab - Transient Random Noise Bursts with Announcements

how tf is that album psych rock? Also, try winning with something that isn't Fishmans just for once.

Golly heck

I change my rec then to Absolutely Free by the Mothers of Invention

Is that okay?

this rec is Krautrock, I guaranfuckingtee it... genres in the 90s were memes

>Big Joe Williams ............and Friends - Going Back to Crawford

This is kind of the Ummagumma of Country Blues records. Not in sound or execution, but in concept. It is as much a Big Joe Williams record as it is a record for the other two performers on this album (unfortunately their names are not listed). Each player is given an equal amount of songs to sing and play, the result is an array of different blues playing and vocal styles as each performer adds their own personal touch. But where Ummagumma fails this album succeeds. Instead of creating each set of tunes in isolation, every song is a collaboration. One playing rhythm, One on vocals, and one playing lead. The order shifts depending on whose song it is. And the performers play so well together, you get the vibe that they have been making music together like this for years. There's not a single slip up, not a single note out of place. And goddamn are the songs fucking good. There almost isn't a single tune on this comp that I didn't love. There's so much raw, unfiltered passion fro the music injected into every song. Some of the absolute best slide guitar playing can be found on this record. The recording quality is goddamn perfect as well. It's clear and has a fucking superb mix, the guitars sound fucking amazing. I love everything about this album except for the few goddamn solo electric blues tracks they decided to slap onto the end that were definitely recorded in a completely different session.

(cont)

seems like that should do

AOTY coming through

"Still Dead Edition"
You know not the troubles of a dead general. Just look at shugazi, OP.

>Karen Dalton - It's So Hard to Tell Who's Going to Love You the Best

Revisiting this I think I enjoyed it a bit less. My favorites were still amazing; Little Bit of Rain (the best version), Hurts Me Too, In the Evening. But most of the other songs ranged from good to completely forgettable. Dalton has a fantastic style, taking the blues style, slowing it down, and injecting it with a thousand instrumental flourishes. Her voice is absolutely gorgeous as well, so delicate and aching with melancholy. But the songwriting is pretty weak. When it hits, it hits fucking hard, but most of the time it's just pretty music with out much of a core to grasp onto

>The Almanac Singers - The Original Talking Union & Other Union Songs

A super group of folk singers featuring Pete Seeger and Woody Gutherie among others. All songs about joining unions, forming unions,how great unions are, etc. This sounds like it could get pretty tiring (and it does at points) but thankfully most of these songs are goddamn brilliant. Most of them are bluegrass flavored, but this record goes through an amazing array of styles, from traditional folk songs, to standards, to blues. The lyrics are uplifting, rousing, and often times pretty funny. It's a great thing to sing along to and it gets your communist blood a-stirrin'.
After listening to this though I don't think I want to hear the word "union" for at least another year.

no, but it's a decent effort. I didn't like the slow songs very much and when they got more traditionally rockish they also got more predictable, and that's what I didn't want to hear on a record which started so off-kilted and quirky.

Lonely and abandoned genres yet to be picked:
power electronics
shoegaze
industrial techno
musique concrete
experimental hip-hop

musique concrete just been taken by Shamepai

>experimental hip-hop
chimurenga renaissance - girlz with gunz

Nobody's taken experimental hip hop so...

Various Artists - Music For The Advancement Of Hip Hop

>PE

Whitehouse - Asceticists 2006

two experimental hip-hop recs yet fucking shoegaze still not taken I can't believe this

Shoegaze

Alison's Halo - Eyedazzler

Take my rec from above. Let the other dude do experimental hip hop

>Stereolab
>Krautrock
Kind of pushing the boundaries, aren't We Tuco?

Oh boy I keep fucking up shades of pink on my background how do I suppose to get my life together, if I can't deal with this

it's tagged krautrock on RYM, so it's legal

*am I supposed
Imma mess

power electronics

power electronics already taken, and I also listened to like 60% of Prurient discography, all I could find online
Black Vase falls more into harsh noise category, it's not really correct to call it power electronics

not true btw
it's good example of pe with percussion
but wait a second
*checks genres on rym*
oh now i see
now i see how much of new or/and uneducated listener of noise music you are basing genre naming off this site's tags

fucking what now? he's one of my favorite artists I don't need to check a fucking rym for tags, I remember how Black Vase sounds because I heard for 70 thousand times. I just meant that this album although can be called PE comparing to other Prurient records is really more of a harsh noise comparing to other PE artists

It's literally PE with drumming, nothing is "harsh noise" about it

>I remember how Black Vase
I guess you don't

If you'd call it more of industrial record I'll agree
pe obviously has evolved from industrial and Black vase combines elements of both pretty good

And there's no need to be that buttmad

There's also no need to give recs for a tourney in daily, while not wearing a trip tbqh

I guess this general is not for me either

Haven't been doing much lately with music because friends are all leaving and I've been trying to do stuff with all of them before everyone moves away. Fuck, this sucks.

Basically, the Cure is 7/10 the band, but not in a bad way in all. In fact, they've got a lot of replay value and are honestly one of my new favorites. They have a pretty consistent quality that is matched by so few. All the way till Bloodflowers in 2000, which though not amazing, still had some quality moments. Any band that can make quality music in the 70s and 00s deserves a fucking medal. Even though Wish is famous for Friday I'm in Love (which I love) I was surprised to find it still rang of their earlier work, though occasionally succumbing to jangle-y pointlessness. Would also recommend hearing the "Boys Don't Cry" version of their first album if you plan on hearing it. And I also heard a few others not listed here, but they're abysmal.

Oasis is next. If the rest of their music is anything like their radio hits expect a pan.

>If the rest of their music is anything like their radio hits expect a pan
uh-oh! Montie's not gonna like this...

wait montie actually likes oasis?
why am i surprised

bumperoo

Bump
What's everyone listening to?
I'm listening to the Walker Brothers before continuing the Beethoven Sonatas. Am boarding the plane in a few mins.
Also been reading up on sonatas and the sonata form etc, which is helping me appreciate the pieces.

>Songs Of Leonard Cohen
Oh boy

listening to J.B. Lenoir
pretty good stuff, good use of percussion

Relistening to old blue jam episodes. Morris had exquisite taste tbqh

Can someone with knowledge clarify this for me:
Is a symphony like a 4-movement sonata, but for orchestra instead of 1-3 instruments?

Looks pretty good

I don't think Oasis are that bad either.

Scott Fagan - South Atlantic Blues, not quite as good as I thought it'd be after hearing the song In My Head on the radio but still really nice. Soul, Psych Folk with the voice of David Bowie.

the meaning of symphony and sonata has obviously changed continuously through time, but baroque symphonies and sonatas were usually based on the same fast-slow-fast formal scheme, yes. the 4th movement is usually attributed to haydn's habit of inserting a minuet before the final movement of his symphonies, which then became routine from around 1760 onwards into the 19th century.

>mfw 3 weeks 1 day into nofap

Thanks, that's kinda what I picked up :)

pretty much, I think the movements vary slightly between the two

Also do you know why a sonata and the sonata form share a name? Did the sonata form first start in sonata's? Seems a bit confusing, especially as some sonatas had other names before

even if not "bad" but not really worth liking either tbphwu

y

as you will have read, sonata form refers to the idiosyncratic structure of many sonatas' first movements, but musicians who first developed this form didn't actually have a name for it - haydn, mozart, beethoven wouldn't have known what 'sonata form' meant. the phrase 'sonata form' is actually a later invention by 19th century composers and musicologists in order to describe those very peculiar first movements. so they are related, but it's an unfortunate and anachronistic terminology.

I joined the army and it's just easy to do when you're there. Thing is now I'm laid off for like 3 months so it's back to the struggle.
It really does make you feel better, more manly

helo anybody wanna rec an album otherwise it's Miles Davis

It's Miles Davis

FUCK
DIE

source for pic related op?

youtube.com/watch?v=YAbS38WpuK8

Jesus, page 10? bump.

let it go, LET IT GOOO

Finally got an earful of this beast--long overdue. The vocals being that much louder than anything else in the mix really gives it an unmistakable air of art rock pretension (maybe "proto-emo" even?), but the jams are plain killer.

I just wish the instrumentation was louder. Anyone have any input? Is this a normal complaint, or did I somehow get a shit mix off slsk?

We should make like /bleep/ and just start posting yt links.

Is the discord at all active still?

THE ADS ARE GETTING TOO SMART GUYS
TIME TO DELETE FACEBOOK

Gonna listen to "Arthur Doyle Plus 4 - Alabama Feeling", will post 1at impressions right after.

i'll start
youtube.com/watch?v=lP077RitNAc

>We should make like /bleep/ and just start posting yt links.
ok
youtube.com/watch?v=fYLMOw9hn2I

whats your favorite song from portishead third

What are some acoustic metal albums that sound really nice?

Stuff like this I guess:
youtube.com/watch?v=M5l9csE-o8o

>mfw I find out one of my friends is a full-fledged Christgau apologist

Is Sup Forums just really dead right now or is it just /daily/?

Anyways here's /bleep/:
youtu.be/49zQJqS5Gdo

the fuck is wrong with liking those bands, faggot?