Is suffering necessary in making good music?

Is suffering necessary in making good music?
Can a completely happy person make good music, or is hardship integral to the creative process?
Also
Does hardship breed creativity?

I've known lots of different types of musicians, and the ones who had good lives where everything seemingly went right for them wrote shitty shitty music- whereas the total depressed fuck ups wrote beautiful music. Just my opinion. I don't think your life needs to be horrible but I think you gotta have some ups and downs

Shit, do you think if I wanna be a great artist then I should like go kill a man or something

no
yes
no

Nah bro. Im pretty sure the majority of artist whose dick gets sucked by this board have had good happy first world country lifes. But you have to live and do excitin things, having a life shitposting in 4chen and not havin adventures probably wont give you any inspiration to do anything good.

No. But we value struggle and experience in our culture, while we tend to abhor easy privilege. So we're more likely to listen to and respect music that reflect lived experience as opposed to sheltered clichés.

Of course, this is less and less so, as we are becoming more suggestible as a culture. We increasingly believe corporations when they tell us what's good.

it's a cliche, Aphex Twin said he lived a happy childhood and he revolutionized electronic music.

Yes, that man being yourself.

yeah that should help

r00d

If suffering brings good music then homeless people should make for the best artists?

First off, basically everyone has hardships. Even the very fortunate, relativism plays into whatever you consider to be "suffering."
Secondly, happy people have made some great music, while unhappy people have made some shitty music.
Finally, if suffering were truly the way to make music, than those with the most perceived hardships would yield the best music, but this isn't the case.

Musicians tend to be a glour bunch however, and the art of forgoing a normal life for one of art is definitely more attractive to a certain type of person.

Suffering like anything can bring inspiration which sometimes translates to good shit, then again sometimes it doesn't. Love can do the same thing. There isn't really a formula that you can follow here.

If they had the means to make the music, why not? There was actually a book that explored this, I can't remember the name. But it taled about how the rich have the resources and free time necessary to make beautiful art, but the meaning is lost in that the art doesn't say anything of worth. Meanwhile the poor have something to say but don't have the luxury necessary to produce art.

exactly. It probably has more to do with how he has like 100000 hours of experience behind synths and sequencers and shit. It would be impossible for someone to wake up one day and do something on AFX level despite overcoming a whatever heroin addiction or child abuse or whatever.

I think sometimes we tend to think the pain is making the music but its not, when you are depressed or detoxing, you have a lot of free time, try surviving a breakup and being sober all the sudden your days are epicly long you need to do something to fill up the time and TV doesn't help so you get really good at guitar.

hardship doesn't make you learn your way around a DAW or teach you to play guitar.

if the hardships youre talking about mean the hardships of putting in effort to learn something, then yes

no,unless you make grunge or some sad-core
only experience matters

no one is happy.

suffering is a universal experience.

Just do some heroin

im not sure, but i know that tragic situations can be translated to something beautiful artistically. As well as happy situations, though.

The beauty to me is that something beautiful can come from something that's mostly tragic and sad.
Which makes you realize tragic things and hardships can be actually really valuable experiences to learn from in life, not just in art and music. But even if the reality of the situation is kind of tragic and basically just fucking though luck and shit and you don't overcome it in the end. Still beautiful music can come from that.

It's like when you're in pain you have a stronger need to express it, as to deal with it.
Not much to deal with or overcome when you're just happy, So the need to express that might be not as strong.

But the value of optimistic and happy music shouldn't be underestimated. Loads of pretentious im-so-sad music copycats out there. loads of euphoric EDM too, though.

Hardships help write better lyrics. And compose better songs. More drive and inspiration

8deep12me

Im not talking about technical skill, Im talking about meaningful, emotive music

this my man, it's all about having inspiration

Was Bach or Vivaldi depressed? They both seemed like relatively happy dudes.

This, Mozart was universally loved and admired from the time he was like 4 years old. Didn't seem to impede him much.

but thats wrong, cause rap exists and everyone is conditioned to like it on Sup Forums