I've never head a legitimate argument as to why this album is shit

I've never head a legitimate argument as to why this album is shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ADooWcYAlE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What would be a legitimate argument?

I've never head a legitimate argument as to why this album is shit.

>Waaah you literally can't say anything bad about it because I don't want to hear anything bad about it
legitimate my ass

Why is it bad then?

Not him, but its boring and repetitive. And Panda's songs are obnoxious

The choruses on most of the songs just outright suck on some of them
This comes from someone who has given this album many listens

i've never heard a legitimate argument pertaining to the quality of music because there is none

I don't like it

because the album has barely enough steam to get through 4 songs, let alone 12. I enjoyed Floridada, Vertical, and The Burglars, but the rest of the album either recycles the vocal effect from Floridada or is boring less-than-B sides material. It's the sign that AnCo is sadly over the hump in their career.

It's just way too messy and doesn't sound good? I mean I enjoy a few of the songs but I wouldn't sit through the whole album.

it's by animal collective, there u go
quit embarrassing urself my man

Melodies are weaker than MPP, texture/arrangements are weaker than CHz, basically misses out on everything that made AnCo interesting or worthwhile

It's a solid 8.5 outta 10!

yeah but HOW

are you really trying to get legitimate argument on Sup Forums? are you new?

That's because it's not

It's not shit it's just not that good

This is the sound of a band running on empty. The sound of a group whose legendary status is pushed aside and instead replaced with a cheap imitation. The sound of a band not caring. The sound of a band striving to achieve yet ultimately failing horribly. AnCo still have a special place in my heart, of course, but Painting With feels like a mockery of what they do best and an overall “fuck you” to the genre they helped define. What should have been a brand new creative peak for the band is instead a soft, quiet whimper. AnCo have many impressive, stellar, and unparalleled releases. This is definitely not one of them.

lol where those unparalleled releases at

>recycles the vocal effect
what the fuck do people have against hocketing? i liked it a lot, it suited the album well, and it was a good change of pace for the band to go in this new direction. if anything, i'd be more pissed if they kept doing those beach boys harmonies over and over. that's why golden gal is such an out of place song, feels like it shouldn't even be on the album.

It's their third best after HCTI and STGSTV

Replace STGSTV with MPP and we have a deal

dude...

my 3 favorite animal collective albums are legitimately
1 MPP
2 HCTI
3 PW
please tell me im objectively wrong, i like when anons do that

I still want to getting to Painting With but I can't wrap my head around how I was able to love practically ever anco release , especially their most inaccessible earlier stuff but this - for some reason I just can't find my self doing full playthroughs of , I feel like I'm missing out on something

i'm just not a fan of the hocketing, and the melodies and overly flamboyant fall flat for me.

>Expecting legitimate arguments
>On fucking Sup Forums of all places

This is the board that changes their opinion on a whim because of something that some bald vegan says about an album, why would you expect legitimate arguments on here.

i honestly just dont get how people love MPP so much.
my 3 fav albums are
1 SJ
2 STGSTV
3 HCTI

>i honestly just dont get how people love MPP so much
the same way people love SJ

>pretends to dislike MPP
>SJ is his favourite

i don't pretend to dislike it but half the album doesn't resonate with me. i don't get how people love also frightened or daily routine or guys eyes, to me they feel like just ok songs and i fucking hate lion in a coma
on the other hand SJ might be just as or even more accesible than MPP but i feel every song is a hit (except #1)
also STGSTV is increadibly beautiful, i don't understand how people say they can get into CS or ST but not into this.
opinions tho, i know.

It's cool at times but it gets boring and predictable when it's done over and over again like on Painting With.

>he can't appreciate daily routine or guys eyes
a-user, i'm- i'm so sorry.
but don't you think the beach boys harmonies get boring and predictable when they're done over and over again on sung tongs and merriweather?

People love MPP because it's the most trippy. For me it's the only anco album that gave me these special feelings from the start, but I've never felt it again with this album. It's kinda one-off, if you don't use drugs (personally I don't). And I know they're other people who think the same, as I read it.

there are*

>it's the most trippy
um... what? it's one of their most popular, accessible works, that's why people love it. it's a far cry from their older work, which could definitely be called trippy. I mean, MPP is too, but nowhere near their most.

I explained at what point it's the most trippy, and I implied that it's one of the most accessible. You better read the full post before replying next time.

>we will probably never get anything like HCTI or Feels again
>its all going to be poppy shit like MPP or this

Of course not, you'll just say it's not a legitimate argument.

The songwriting is just decent at best and excruciatingly obnoxious at worst, and I've never heard them sound this drained before.

Why are you so up in arms about it?

Too much fanboyandchumchuming desu

lol sorry kek lol

Yes, thank you so much, I love you. They sound like they're just completely going through the motions because it's just what they're supposed to do at this point. As much as an awkward misstep as Centipede Hz felt like, there was always that hope that it was leading somewhere. With Painting With, it was shown to have been completely meaningless and serve no place in their evolution. Everything feels like deterioration now. I actually get very depressing vibes from Painting With. It sounds like it's trying to be happy when really that's not where they are at all, and it's just completely ignoring that shit's fucked, kind of like a lot of AC fans.
This is really weird. I've noticed that people are so determined to say Painting With is good that they'll actually go as far as to discount their previous achievements. Like what is it about Animal Collective that you like; what they do, or just the fact that they're Animal Collective?

>shitty programmed drums
>no textures or interesting soundscapes like what they're known for
>brickwalled as fuck daft punk fart synths and vocals
>the synths sound too mechanical and harsh and don't last long enough or have enough variation to establish a melody
>no actual instrumentation
>the lyrics and vocal delivery are both cheesy and lazy as fuck and don't at all fit with the given background fart noises
>sing SING ing ING like LIKE this THIS
>the songs don't really go anywhere or have ups and downs and just maintain monotony like dance music but why the fuck would you dance to anco
>all of the drivel above is, without exaggeration, enough to give one a headache

it's one the worst things i've listened to from a good band

Agree, I'm really scared about what they'll release next, I was hoping they were going somewhere with CHZ but PW is such a disappoinent

m-muh nostalgia much?

I honestly don't believe the majority of people actually care about Fagthony Trontano. Like I get that "wtf i hate X now" if he criticizes something is a meme but I don't think that a good majority of this board actually gives a shit.

try hard pointless drivel. if they can come up with a reason it exists i'll go from there. but they can't

I like this album, but I've got to say: fellow painting with fans, just give it a rest. The people who don't like the album aren't going to suddenly change their minds because you call them nostalgic or bitter or whatever. And you're not going to all of a sudden dislike it because someone provides a legitimate argument. The incessant bickering over this release is fucking infuriating because it's such a simple album. I love it - I have no malice towards those who don't.
Unless they bring up fanboy and chum chum, then fuck em.

not an argument

I like this album but it's pretty weak compared to their other albums

There are couple things to consider. First, it's their shortest album. It's clocked 40 minutes with 12 songs, compared to SJ 43 minutes with 9 songs. The longest songs is 4 minutes.

Why did I said this? Because Anco songs usually quite long because it has ambience elements to them, and it's pretty much one of their strongest suits. I read in one of the interview that Geo said they're gonna try to make an ambient-less album and making it quicker, like The Ramones. This isn't bad, but it does affect the album.

What it affect is that it creates many frantic elements but without the cooldown. Crazy, highly energetic songs are always inside the Anco spirit but they're usually accompanied with slower, more subdued ambient moments in them. In short, it gave me a headache. The Burglar literally gave me a migraine. It so crazy and over the top and nauseating. The best songs in the album is simpler and calmer one, which is Golden Gal.

The lyrics also felt like it was written from a factory line. Anco lyrics are usually nonsensical but it has some kind of heart put into it.

It does make me appreciated how good CHz actually was.

I know I'm actually with you on all of that, I was just mocking the people who don't want to face all of that.

Whenever I try to listen to this album I'm just hit with an oppressive level of sadness, disappointment, and embarrassment. It's deeply unpleasant for me to listen to. Nothing feels right to me or plays on what I want out of music. One of the things that initially drew me to Animal Collective was how I felt almost like they know exactly what I want out of music and give it directly to me in its purest form, but I just can't listen to this album. I feel like it's beating me down. I know, I know, "not an argument, where are your facts, etc.," it's just how I feel.

It's not bad or anything, just really underwhelming for AnCo. After everything they've done before, this just feels...vanilla and uninspired. Animal Collective kind of reminds me of Cirque du Soleil in a way. They used to do some amazing, mind-blowing things but now it's just sad.

anco really really wish they could write songs like this:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ADooWcYAlE

>its all going to be poppy shit like MPP or this
You have no idea if that's true. What makes you think they'd stagnate now? I feel as if the poppy era is coming to aclose

Wow, how can so many of you put AC on such a pedestal? MPP is often argued to be their best release and it's just pop music with some interesting sounds at best but it can be pretty monotonous. PW is going back to their pop influence and you can take or leave it but don't look down your nose at it.

Dude you sound so fucking stupid

It should have come to a close with ODDSAC. That's where they really came full circle on a musical level, where their pop sound of the late 2000's and their early experimental roots were fully integrated. Though there was nothing wrong with it, the exact moment they began to decline was Keep. They should have gone in yet another direction following ODDSAC the way the went electric after Feels, or at least kept pushing their sound to higher levels, but instead they started to go backwards and get more direct but without the same impact that Strawberry Jam had, so they've basically stagnated at this point. Every Animal Collective release following ODDSAC has shown this to be the case even more. What's weird is, I actually thought that Slasher Flicks album and Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper were both good records. Avey's songwriting felt full of energy without the rigidity of Centipede Hz on Slasher Flicks, and even though it seems to get flack for some reason, I thought Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper was very pleasing and enjoyable. I expected a really quality Animal Collective record with both of these combined. I was actually kind of shocked that Painting With was a disappointment, but I really pretty much knew it on some level from the second I first heard Floridada.

What the fuck kind of counter-pretentious bullshit is this? I'm sorry, music has to have a reason to exist now? You can't make music you like the sound of for the sake of making music you enjoy playing? Now all of a sudden there needs to be a movement attached? You're fucking dense. The reason for it to exist is because Avey, Panda, and Geologist decided they wanted to start writing an album and record again. You imbecile. Not to mention there ARE themes within this album but you're too blinded by your hatred for it to actually give a fuck.

>The Burglars literally gave me a migraine

this is literally the most pleb thing I have ever read in my entire life. Also, this argument is bullshit becuase it boils down to "Waaaaah AnCo isn't making what they were making 10 years ago waaaah"

This, if you like MPP but trash on PW, there's a good chance you let reviews dictate your taste

Dude, Painting With is a lot better than Slasher Flicks and PBMTGR. The most underwhelming solo releases from each of them, respectively.

The reason this album sounds repetitive is because they trade in conventional instrumentation for a few base line synthesizers and textures which are played through out the album. The bass synth most stands out most prominently, as its a main focus and driving force to a lot of these songs. However, there are so many different textural and melodical motifs going on at any given time, it's disjointed yet combines to create a larger picture.

People who aren't into the hocketing because it sounds "jagged" or "bad" certainly aren't going to pick up on the melodical sections that ride in and out of eachother to form long melodical lines through different instrumentations.

This album isn't reptetitve. People hear a buzzing bass synth and a bouncy percussive progression and think "Oh this is the same fucking song as last time" even though chord progressions, melodical structures, and rhythmic emphases are different on every single song.

"It's boring and repetitive" is hardly a legitimate argument. It is the equivalent to "it's shit because I say so." People who are fans of this album can write entire essays to explain why it isn't shit, yet the only retort to their arguments are "fucking pleb" or "no the album is objectively shit" or "animal collective is finished" or "you're just pretending to like it" or "you're in denial that anco is dead". Seriously, OP is right. There is absolutely no legitimate criticism as to WHY this album is "bad". The song writing isn't weak, it's some of the strongest they've ever done, especially in terms of pop. The melodies are memorable, the energy is full force and the songs bounce and jingle along with the themes of the lyrics.

If you're going to sit there and say this album, or any particular song from it, is shit, at least back up your statements from a MUSICAL standpoint and not an aesthetic one or one that is clearly based on surface level exploration.

Pretty much this. I still strongly believe in a year or two people will look back at Painting With and realize the beauty behind it.

People think it's so shit because it IS so different for Animal Collective, yet this should be nothing new to anyone because Animal Collective hardly ever stays with one idea through multiple releases.

I disagree. I enjoyed both those records more than Centipede Hz and Painting With. They feel more authentic. I'm not really sure how to say what I'm trying to say, and I'll probably get called out for "not putting up a real argument" or some bullshit, but I just thought those albums were way more enjoyable. I feel like Animal Collective put better effort into their solo projects than Animal Collective itself now, because there's no pressure on them to do solo records, so when they do solo records, they're able to be more expressive, whereas Animal Collective is more like a day job at this point where they do it because people are banking on there being an Animal Collective album every four or five years now. Also sure, you could say Slasher Flicks is Avey Tare's most underwhelming project, but I still think it's easily a solid 7/10 for sure, and Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper is definitely more fun and infectious for me than Tomboy.

Bullshit. They sound like they're on top of the fucking world with Merriweather and they know it. Painting With is one of the most depressing albums I've ever heard. I just feel bad for them when I listen to it. They sound exhausted.

How can they sound exhausted when this has the most complex vocals of any anco album?

Different strokes, I guess. I think Tomboy is severely underrated, while on PBVSGR I really only like butcher baker and Príncipe real. I'd say most of the album is just forgettable, but sometimes the scales tip towards being outright bad, come to your senses has to be one of the least enjoyable panda tracks I've ever heard.
Same goes for slasher flicks, I like a sender and modern days e but outside of that I can't remember anything other than little fang.

stop viralling your crappy album

Yeah yeah okay fine whatever, doesn't change that the whole album just feels really grim to me.

I'll give you that PBVSGR is better than Tomboy, however, to sit there and say Painting With is bad because Animal Collective is obligated to make music I think is a fallacy. They genuinely had ideas they wanted to express with this album, they wanted to break away from the ambient/drone stylings of their previous work and make something that was short sweet and to the point. If you're not into poppier AnCo, that's fine. The mistake people make is they're comparing Painting With to Merriweather Post Pavillion, one of the most successful indie pop albums of all time. Of course it's not going to stack up against that. You have to take it for what it is, within its own realm, with the ideas they wanted to portray. If you're going to sit there and compare it to the rest of their catalog and say they're dead and they suck ass now, then good on you. Stop listening to them and stop coming into threads about them, and STOP trying to act like everyone who hasn't "given up" on them are in denial or pretending to like their music. Painting With is one of their strongest releases since MPP in my opinion. Better than CHz, better than TTG, on par with ODDSAC in my opinion. The aesthetic of the album is very much tied to the music, but musically the album remains interesting as well. Moments like the analog lead with phasing and flanging going on in the background of the chorus in Vertical, the ringing bell synths that swirl and dilude into each other in the background of Spilling Guts, all of these little subtle melodic moments that tie into other melodic motifs, like this relay race of sound racing to the end of the track. I love it. It's interesting to hear these ideas, almost unfinished, bouncing off one another to create a whole melodic structure, the same way that the hocketing is effectively used.

>they sound exhausted
I don't understand how anyone can think this when its one of their most energetic albums in recent years.

I'm a huge Animal Collective fan, and I have the hypothesis that butthurt AnCo fans expecting Merriweather after 7 fucking years is a major contribution to the backlash this album has.

What did you expect? MPP was the tipping point; they had the family, their careers, and their most artistic work behind them. This was coming. In fact, I think the slump is more evident with Centipede Hz.

Painting With might be a disappointment compared to say, Strawberry Jam or Merriweather, but it is by no means a bad album.

I will give you this, Floridada certainly sounds like it was made with the idea of being commercial in mind. Like they purposely wanted the first song to be this accessible dream land to set up the album.

The production on Painting With isn't their best, it does sound hollow at some points. Musically, structurally, and performance wise, Painting With is fantastic.

I almost feel like they were writing separately from where they were mentally, like they were writing energetic, upbeat songs when that's totally not how they were feeling. That may sound a little abstract, and I'm not like trying to debate you or anything, that's just one thing I get out of the album. The album sort of gives me this feeling of gritting your teeth and smiling when you really feel like you're in hell.

>it is by no means a bad album.
Two thirds of the tracks on there say otherwise.

Fucking THIS. I stated earlier comparing Painting With to MPP is extremely unfair considering MPP is one of the most successful indie pop albums ever released. It would be like expecting the Beach Boys to top Pet Sounds, WHICH THEY ALMOST FUCKING DID WITH SMILE. But I digress, people need to drop their expectations and just enjoy the music. And if they don't, that's fine, but don't run around saying everyone who is a fan at this point is delusional or pretending to like their latest music.

No one else could have made Painting With. It's entirely Animal Collective's style, even without all of the ambience and drone. There are bands such as Alvin Band, YAWN and New House that try to capture the sound of Animal Collective, and though they come somewhat close, they're still WAY off the mark. Painting With still feels very much like an Animal Collective release, so I don't understand how anyone can sit there and say it's "uninspired" or "not creative" in any way.

Floridada is probably my least favorite song on the album, but songs like Hocus Pocus, Vertical, Lying in the Grass, On Delay, The Burglars, Spilling Guts, Recycling and Golden Gal? All amazing songs. I can understand how some people might say they sound "the same", but I think they're confusing that similar sound through the instrumentation rather than listening to the actual musicality behind each piece.

Okay, go into detail? What makes "two thirds" of those tracks bad? Be specific, elaborate, and don't generalize with some shitty response like "Oh they sound the same" or "the bass sounds like farting".

I kinda can see what you mean, and maybe on some songs that was the idea. Listen to the lyrics in conjunction with the way the songs develop and change. It has a LOT to do with the idea of community and society.

How can you say this?
I mean I don't really like this album and think it is a weak output compared to other releases, but lyrically this album is really good.
Not that anyone cares as almost half of it is undecipherable. Only the fans will look it up, and those that take it at face value wont care. But it does sound a little like an Avey Tare solo record.

Most of this thread have half-baked childish opinions anyway.
Either listen to it more than once or not.

>Okay, go into detail?
It doesn't matter what I say, nothing is going to cut it for you, but Panda's songs in particular feel pretty lifeless like there was no thought or effort going into them, and they're all pretty unpleasant to listen to. At its very best, the album just sounds kind of safe and a little dull.

I mean, it's not like I can give you actual facts or anything, which you seem to be asking for, probably because you know I can't give them to you.

production was really played out and uninspired.

No, I'm not asking for facts. I'm asking you to go into detail about why songs sound lifeless or boring. If you can't do that, perhaps music discussion isn't your forte, friend. I'm sorry but "It's bad because I don't like it" doesn't cut it on a music forum.

I like this album but I can agree to this. Their production has always been really interesting and added a lot to the music but not really feeling that with PW.

Other AnCo albums were exciting new and mixed tons of different genres together. Creating something entirely new and unique, plus they all featured great lyrics about growing up and childhood adventure, that were only exemplified by better vocal performances.

PW is just them sort of giving up, the aren't trying its incredibly weak, and dull, and lacks everything that made them great.

The production of this album is its biggest flaw. It isn't the worst production they've had, but everything sits way too high in the mix essentially, there aren't really any dynamic sounds. It's all very up front. But that's what they wanted to go for. I think people who started out listening to stuff like Here Comes the Indian and others really miss that dynamic on this album. It's a very in your face, very loud, and very agitated sounding album. But again, that's what they wanted to go for this time around. You've got 8 other albums that explore highs and lows, crescendos and other dynamics. Painting With to me is very much about texture, sonic space and off kilter song writing. They did what they were going for very well in my opinion.

But yes, the production is probably the weakest thing on this album.

Okay, the album's good I guess.

They already grew up and aren't having childhood adventures anymore

but they mix genres in ways others didn't.

it seems to have just gone over your head.

another listen for this user.

Not him, but a lot of the songs sound similar. I mean, I guess they were going for that, but every song is so bouncy and the vocals sound the same on every track.

I don't mind the album, but it's definitely one of AC's weakest.

best album I've heard all year

>let me spout points from numerous reviews i've read because i can't actually formulate an argument myself

PW isn't them giving up. If they were giving up, they would have played it safe and made what they KNEW everyone wanted which is Moar Feels or Merriweather Post Pavillion 2.0

How is them stepping into an area of making short abrasive pop songs them giving up?

Stop meming your shitty meme

I'm not saying you have to agree with me, I'd just like to know what about it sounds bad or uninspired to you. You can't give me an answer though, which means you're listening on a very basic surface level and not actually analyzing whats going on.

These songs sound similar in the way that songs from Young Americans sound similar. They're following instrumentation and a theme, that's about it. Melodically, rhythmically and structurally every song has its own place.

Not him but I really tried to like it when it first came out, but the more I listened to it, I just felt like I was beating myself down, and I just liked it less and less with each listen. At any rate, it's a fucking pop album, pop shouldn't require multiple listens. Also, at the risk of sounding like a pleb, I don't think any music should. I'd actually argue that if you need to listen to something several times in order to get it, that makes you more of a pleb. Granted, albums like Laughing Stock and Close to the Edge have revealed themselves to be more and more beautiful to me as the years pass, but let's be honest, Painting With isn't fucking Laughing Stock or Close to the Edge.

this is just one of those bands where they're clearly not good but Sup Forumstants and hipsters listen to to be prententious (including myself)