Blues general

Hey Sup Forums I've been feelin a bit down lately, what's some essential blues? I've been listening to some Howling Wolf and Muddy Waters but I'd like to expand my horizon.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RKpflHueZAk
youtube.com/watch?v=UJJBJzprWaU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump

Born Under a Bad Sign by Albert King is the essential Blues album.

I also recommend Hoodoo Man Blues

Awesome, I'll check it out.
What's a good Blues compilation?

Do you use Spotify OP?

If so, I got something sweet for ya.

spotify:user:111562700:playlist:7rvy1bMOLOjoJO5jyUuflQ

This is all you need to start your quest for the blues.

Shit, I don't have spotify

Download it, the account is free. If you want to download shit on your mobile it costs money.

That's 10 euros a month, but I used it for years without premium.

Martin Scorsese Presents the Blues was a documentary series that came out slightly over a decade ago. The documentary series itself is kind of boring and I say that as someone who likes watching music documentaries. I suggest watching it only after you've already become really interested in the genre.

The soundtrack however, is a very comprehensive set of blues tracks from most eras and styles and serves as a good primer for blues in general. I recommend listening to that, seeing which artists you like the most and then going from there.

Abner Jay, more folk-bluesy but underrated
youtube.com/watch?v=RKpflHueZAk

Got Spotify, how do i use your link?

Paste it in the search bar and it should take you there.

Awesome, thanks man. Giving it a listen now

Let me know if you like it.

I have a similar list for acoustic blues.

lol no
The singles of Robert Johnson and T-Bone Walker are essential
Not this blues-rock shite

You're comparing apples and oranges here.

I definitely like it, I'd appreciate the link for the acoustic list.

spotify:user:111562700:playlist:0ongC1ldwkavaKlkkxuRp1

There you go, enjoy. I'll keep adding to both lists, I've been working on these for a while now.

Awesome, thanks so much! This was exactly what I was looking for

Reminder that Robert Johnson was quite literally a nobody in his day and that most of his work is covers.

See: Escaping the Delta: Robert Johnson and the Creation of the Blues by Elijah Wald.

You have to recommend his control of the guitar.

But I do agree that Robert Johnson gets more credit than he deserves. I think his fame is mostly caused by his mysterious framing in today's society. People like Blind Willie Johnson and Leadbelly we're the real deal.

The Velvet Underground were nobodies in their day. Are they shit? Just because he was unknown doesn't mean he was bad. Especially because of the era he lived in and his race.
And also you're probably a rocktard who exclusively listens to BB King if you seriously thinkthat the fact that Robert Johnson did lots of covers/reinterpretations is something to hold him aagainst. That shit is a blues tradition.

I'm glad you enjoy it man. It's always nice to share music with other people.

My only other post in this thread was Yes, it's blues tradition but most of the time when Robert Johnson is talked about he's mentioned as an innovator when there's really nothing that special about his playing. I'd personally argue his vocal style, while not the greatest, is more affecting than his guitar playing.

And during that era while they didn't necessarily make money blues artists were well-known, especially within the south. When I say he was a nobody I mean within the blues community itself he was mostly a nobody. It wasn't until thee 50s when white people starting gaining an interest in country blues that his stature started gaining traction.

Also, I never said that he was bad. He is overrated by a considerable margin though, partly because he's the only blues artist from his day everybody and their mother knows.

It's a jazz/blues thing
youtube.com/watch?v=UJJBJzprWaU

bump