Is Thriller overrated?

Is Thriller overrated?

No

Bad was better

Underrated 10/10

I accentually jizzed on the album cover and lost all respect for it.

off the wall is all around better

Nah. It's sold a butload of copies but as far as critical acclaim, it's actually fairly accurately rated.
I don't think Sup Forums really appreciates how incredible the best of Michael's singles are. From a performance, compositional and production standpoint, they're easily on par with the likes of James Brown and Stevie Wonder but he wasn't an album oriented artist so he gets swept under the rug to an extent.

Off the Wall is objectivly his best album

It's good. Maybe it's a little overrated, but a lot of things are. Any album that sells 60 million worldwide is bound to be on the receiving end of tremendous praise, especially after the artist has died in such a tragic and preventable manner.

one of those records that's underrated on Sup Forums and overrated everywhere else, if that makes any sense

Bad is his best album, although Thriller is great

Not really, but i think the fillers aged pretty bad.
I personally prefer Off the Wall, Bad, and even Dangerous, but it's still a great record imo

Michael Jackson is underrated on this board, i think he was one of the most interesting singer, songwriter, entertainer, and even producer out there, but unfortunately people mainly remember him because he was a weirdo

his whole discography is great imo, he doesn't have any bad album (HIStory is meh but it has some great songs on it)

It's pretty much impossible to overrate this album.

>the best selling album of all time is by a black person
>black people are part of the most culturally relevant genres right now and tend to have an advantage over white people in hip hop and pop
>black people can still act like the music industry is oppressing them even though black music is so huge now and most white kids listen exclusively to RnB and rap now

It's not flawless but some of the songs are brilliant, Billie Jean in particular. I do think some parts of the production have aged quite badly, and some of the songs were not that good to begin with.
Still an essential listen imo, the percussion is fantastic on most songs.

what's so good about the compositions, are they not just pop songs?

nope
his albums from Off the Wall to Dangerous are good

>are they not just pop songs?
If you're asking that from the perspective of pop composition vs classical composition, yeah they're just pop compositions and don't really compare.
As far as pop music goes though, Michael wrote some of the most memorable and catchy melodic hooks ever. It's impressive to be able to write a song where you can reasonably expect most of the western can recognise based on the synth, vocal or bass melodies in isolation.
A lot of the harmonic ideas aren't that remarkable by themselves but he uses some reasonable simple ideas very well to get the desired effect. Like how he avoids using the i chord and introduces more dissonant augmentations to introduce suspense in the bridge.
I think small things like the spoken word ending or the little werewolf howls and ghost noises are pretty inspired too. It's the perfect halloween song, not exactly Beethoven's 9th or something but it's remarkable for having a really well conceived and clear vision achieved through good songwriting and arranging.

no it deserves the sport for best album of all time.

I agree with everything you said

Other than the first sentence of your post, nothing you said is relevant to the current discussion

The only real weak song on Thriller is Baby Be Mine