>brutal prog
>outsider house
>arctic ambient

Can we stop with this shit, please?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PJWoHQgRLII
youtube.com/watch?v=8Q1eXtSKXQ4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Alternative R&B is legit though, what's wrong with that?

It isn't. Contemporary R&B went through a shit ton of changes since it cropped up in the late 70s. Unless you're deluded, Off the Wall sounds nothing like Love King. Suddenly we arbitrarily decided to give the newest form of it a new name? And why? So that people could feel slightly better that they enjoyed R&B? It's a label born out of insecurity and brazenly ignores that contemporary R&B has always been in flux.

Besides, it's useless now. The new Beyonce and Rihanna albums are "alternative R&B", apparently. It wasn't some isolated strain of internet individualists reinventing and "legitimising" R&B, it was just another step in its reinvention.

>implying yacht rock isn't one of the greatest genres of the past 50 years

Can someone please post some yacht rock?

80's and early 90's Beach Boys

youtube.com/watch?v=PJWoHQgRLII
youtube.com/watch?v=8Q1eXtSKXQ4

What's wrong with alternative R&B?

Literally the history of R&B seems to go first there was "classic" R&B and it was good, then there was soul and it was amazing, then there was funk and it was okay, then there was synth funk and it was kinda lame, then there was contemporary R&B and it was fucking horrible, and then there was alternative R&B and it was okay again.

>then there was contemporary R&B and it was fucking horrible
Isn't there a Queen music video you should be commenting on?

my favorite meme is when people get so buttmad about the existence of subgenres that they start making up fake ones

>Fuzz Rock
>it's literally just mediocre Stoner Rock from Sweden

if I've offended you as a contemporary R&B fan, then you're really on the wrong website. Surely MTV has internet forums, no?

>then you're really on the wrong website
You might be right. I don't use music as a fashion statement.

That's admirable. The problem is, if your preferred era of R&B is the late 80s - early 00s, i.e. the ultra-slick, overproduced teens and 20-somethings pushed by TRL, then it seems you have the emotional depth of an anonymous cubicle drone

what's wrong with Hall & Oats and Charles Manson

every single jodeci album is a classic

>preferred
I didn't say I preferred shit. I said you were a fucking wrong generation tosser with the emotional maturity of a 14 year old for conflating the recency of music with quality.

Seems I may have understated it. But keep freaking out. Maybe you wouldn't be so agitated if you were honest about what you enjoyed, rather than conforming to utterly arbitrary standards.

You really should try it. It's liberating being open and honest, even if it does draw the ire of the odd moron or two.

WHEW
> wew

keep crying kid

I'm good. I think I have all I need right here.

That doesn't even make sense. You do realize the "contemporary R&B" era was, again, from the late 80s to early 00s, right? Today's R&B is actually a lot better than that shit. You're the one complaining about today's R&B, not me, so literally apply everything you just said to yourself

What? I like "alternative R&B" I just think it's a moronic term that doesn't make sense. I never made any comments about the quality of "alternative" R&B.

I mean, I know it must be difficult, but at least TRY to read people's comments. It will ready speed this process along.

Oh I see, so you started this entire thread as a stealth way to get on your soapbox about this genre. Nice one bro.

>Suddenly we arbitrarily decided to give the newest form of it a new name?
It's not like that's never happened before. R&B with early rap influence became "New Jack Swing". Smooth and seductive easy listening R&B became "Quiet Storm". Soulquarian shit became "Neo-Soul". And yeah, no one ever gave a name to the shit that came out in the 2000s, but honestly, a lot of that shit is just New Jack Swing in new clothes, and no one would use that phrase to market anything that came out in the new millennium. So yeah, we gave a new name to this new kind of R&B, one that's markedly different from the stuff that came before, as far as everyone other than you is concerned. It doesn't mean this shit isn't "contemporary R&B" anymore, Weeknd even put a fucking MJ cover on his mixtape, but it was just that obviously different, and the need for a new sub-grouping was just that urgent. And it stuck, so sorry if that offends you. At least we're not calling it PBR&B anymore.

>The new Beyonce and Rihanna albums are "alternative R&B", apparently.
Everyone in the 90s was "alternative rock". That has nothing to do with the legitimacy of the label. The sound and aesthetic are an "alternative" to what came before, even if the artists are the same.

oh wow, you're genuine with your stupid ideas and awful taste... I was kinda hoping you were trolling.